Why did Pippin and Merry have to steal vegetables from a farmer?

Why did Pippin and Merry have to steal vegetables from a farmer?

Was The Shire a secret capitalist dystopia where they allow the poorest hobbits to starve to death?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3mvDQWOQ2iI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Come to think of it, what was the mayor of Hobbiton's tax policy?

Merry and Pippin smoked too much pipeweed, and were too lazy to grow their own food as a result, therefore they decided to steal it from hardworking Farmer Maggot.

>lazy niggers are allowed to starve
>dystopia

Pick one

It sounds like Communism in a nutshell to me.

Why was he so concerned about there being maggots in the bread?

Wouldn't he welcome the prospect of additional protein for the remainder of his overland trek to Isengard on foot?

>he doesn't have second breakfast

Probably pretty minimal as everyone was mostly self-sufficient.
Had to collect something to pay the sheriff and mind the roads, but it was likely a flat rate that might shift yearly, depending on if there was a flood or something that battered the dirt roads.
If there was a fire brigade, it was a water tank on wheels or a bucket brigade of who ever got there first.

The ending in which they return to the Shire to find that is exactly what has happened in their absence is top tier and enjoyable so of course that fricken hack cut it from the story for his shite film.

I think that's the one single change that I enjoyed about the films. They come back, and they're the only thing's that've changed, and its so entirely bittersweet

Brandybucks were the niggers of hobbits

This. RoTK had too many endings already. Showing the scouring of the shire and then having to resolve that after everything that already happened would have been supremely retarded.

It could've been another film 2bh
The series could have done with another 3 hours easily

honestly the scouring of the shire could have been its own trilogy tbqhwy

were the female hobbits thick

Fuck off Peter Jackson!

Not as much as you want, but not bad either.
There's probably one or two like that though.

>you've been at the farmer faggots crop

In the book the farm had some kind of gourmet heirloom mushrooms that only grew on that farm. The Hobbits only stole the mushrooms from the farm when they were kids and they were all scared of the farmer and his dogs. At the beginning of the Fellowship the farmer actually turns out to be a nice guy and helps the Hobbits. He gives them a place to stay, sneaks them past the wraiths and then gives them a big basket of the mushrooms. Basically PJ just changed it to show that Merry and Pippin were troublemakers or something because he removed that part of Frodo's character.

Hobbits love to eat.
They want the best eats.
They will do whatever it takes to get the best eats.
Hobbits will steal to have eats. Not because they need it, but because they want it.

You try smoking old toby all day and see if you aren't starving for some carrots, cabbage, and mushrooms.

For a film narrative, it works better --that's true. But it's fundamental to the theme of the story, in which evil arises and then goodness, in response, is forced to defend itself, and in conquering evil, goodness is made greater. The fact the Shire underwent a similar skirmish and exaltation as the rest of Middle Earth made things feel whole and proper.

The taxes were also for the post office.

Probably some of them. They were all short stacks though.

Only if they brought in fan favorites like Legolas and maybe included how either Merry or Pippin meets their future spouse, I feel like a romantic subplot is essential

I love short girls

wish I was a hobbit bros

Yeah but their character development is really brought to light with the scouring of the shire. Pippin and Merry go off as innocent young kids and they come back as battle hardened warriors clad in foreign armor and lead the hobbits in the defense of their homes. They practically become living legends. It really is one of the most satisfying parts of the novels, I do understand why cutting it makes sense but still it's a bit disappointing that you never get that full sense of how much the hobbits have grown and changed.

TAX POLICY

I'd argue you get the same feeling of change in the scene when they're in the party, but none of them can fully enjoy it after all they have been through. So they sit around, communicating non-verbally to one another that they can never go back to the life they left. The hobbits prior to the story would've fucking smashed at that party

But then they wouldn't be short to you. Being elf or human with a Hobbit girl would be best

It wasn't a bad ending, but I would have preferred to see the Scouring.

youtu.be/3mvDQWOQ2iI

>smug look
>sam, we're still in the shire, what could possibly happen?

scene always goofy

Frodo, Pippin, and Merry are actually quite well-bred, the equivalent of the lower bits of a quasi-aristocracy. They stile for shits and giggles.
Sam was just a workin' dude who got swept up in shit, he's probably Tolkien's self-insert, apart from Beren.

*They stole for shits and giggles.

Merry's family is rich as fuck but he's a bored richfag doing petty crimes for fun. Pippin is just a rascal

In the movie, it's just to show what comical troublemakers Merry and Pippin are.

In the book, they all stole from Farmer Maggot as kids, and were afraid of him because they got caught once or something. Then on their way out of the Shire as adults he turns out to be very helpful. Sort of a reversal of expectations.

the shire seems comfy but how could you be a hobbit and not be massively insecure? 5 feet is considered tall...

You might be able to project your insecurities onto the humans, but not the hobbits, they just don't give a fuck.

And Aragorn was supposed to be like, 7 foot or some shit. The men of Numenor were huge.

so elron was just an idiot for allowing 2 troublemakers to go with them

Elrond had the gift of clairvoyance, he had a gut feeling they needed to come along

Reminder that Rosie Cotton is best grill and anyone who says otherwise is a filthy liar

Only the first Numenoreans. When they lost the Valar's favour they lost some other privileges too

>all these people using the past tense to discuss a book

fucking minorities lrn2english

Did Jackson purposefully design Rosie to look like the 1930s German stereotype for a good wife?

I dislike it because of what happens to Saruman, who is the only real good guy in the whole story (remember it's written by the victors, not an objective account). Tolkien was wrong about industrialization.

... Yes?

Also, it's "bar maid" ya dumb fuck