One shall stand, one shall fall. In 10 years, which franchise will be considered THE modern sci-fi saga...

One shall stand, one shall fall. In 10 years, which franchise will be considered THE modern sci-fi saga? Is there room for two or will the other be forgotten?

Well one is Sci-Fi and one is Fantasy.

When you say modern I'm assuming your just talking about Disney Star Wars, both will probably be forgotten but if one HAS to take the throne I think Avatar has the advantage.

Just because the science in Star Wars is extremely unrealistic and bordering on magic doesn't mean it's not sci-fi. It still has sci-fi weapons and spaceships.

I know it technically is a "space fantasy" but for sake of arguments like these let's drop the autism, both are set in space on alien planets with futuristic weapons and ships, one has some magic, and the other doesn't, who cares.

Hard to say to be honest. Star Wars obviously has a huge following and everybody knows it and people are nostalgic about it. Personally I never liked Star Wars and the new movies didn't do it for me. I really liked Avatar on the other hand. I think the world building was fantastic and really established that alien world, but I also have to admit that Avatar receives a lot of hate. What I can't gauge is how much of that hate is from normal people and how much is just empty internet hate.

I prefer Avatar and hope the sequels will flesh out the world and characters and maybe give us a bit more grit. Realistically I see Star Wars winning even though I can also see people getting tired of it due to the lack of creativity.

We'll see.

>one shall stand

wtf says who? You?

Optimus Prime you fucking nigger.

what are you Dane Cook now?
gtfo fag.

>let's drop the autism
Go back to redd it.

Make me, retard.

One has James Cameron behind it, the other a board room of Disney executives. Draw your own conclusions.

I really liked Avatar desu

No matter how many Avaturd movies they make they will never have the cultural impact or be as loved as the Star Wars franchise.

Because there's not a lot of discussion I'm just gonna expand my thoughts on this because I've never really gotten to talk about it. First I just want to say while Avatar does get a lot of hate for being a "rip off" of Pocahontas/dances with the wolves, Avatar didn't do any different from what ANH did. ANH took the heroes journey formula and put it in a space setting with great world building with inspiration from ww2. Avatar does this but with the whole opposites attract formula which isn't exclusive to Pocahontas, you can find it in grease, beauty and the beast, and even Cameron's titanic, and puts it in a space setting with great world building with inspiration from the Iraq war. With that said Cameron has proven to step up his game in sequels, while Sup Forums might not personally agree, T2 and aliens are perceived as phenomenal movies and made their mark in pop culture and even outshines both their original predecessors for most people, and nothing has indicated that he's lost that touch. He's clearly in it for more avatar because he loves it and feels that it's necessary and like I said nothing has indicated that he's lost his creative spark despite what some say about avatar 1 and what I countered with. There is only room to go up.

On the other hand you have Disney Star Wars, while definitely successful financially and will continue to be so, Disney has made it clear what their motivations are which is to simply make money off of nostalgia for as long as they can till the end of time if possible. Very safe and inoffensive. And while people might not hate it in 10 years people will burn out from it emotionally and will be forgotten since Star Wars is a brand that was never meant to be milked like marvel which even people are already starting to lose the crazy the hype. By the time Disney decides do something it might be too little too late.

Both will probably be forgotten but it's Disney's complacency and Cameron's drive that gives avatar the advantage.

The first Avatar is already totally forgotten.

Except it isn't and true kino connoisseurs love it and are excited for the sequels. Doubting Cameron is like being a creatonist.

Except that it totally is. The general public doesn't care. No one talks about it. News about the sequels gets ridiculed on social media and across the internet.

And anyone who still uses the Reddit meme kino is clearly a retard with a shit opinion that should be totally ignored.

James Cameron is like McDonald's. His movies make a lot of money, and they're usually consumed by fat, stupid people, but they're never really good.

Search your feelings, you know this is true.

If that were the case critics would rip his movies apart and his movies wouldn't be Best Movie contenders. So you are completely wrong. James Cameron makes movies that are incredibly well done and engaging and spectacular.

Titanic was said to be a flop before it broke the box-office. Avatar was said to be a flop before it broke the box-office. Both movies were made fun of. Morons like you just never learn.