Self Improvement Thread

This thread is for general self improvement which includes anything from xenoestrogens, which I've been hearing about and want to know more of, to books or methods of sticking to what you want to do and not giving up. Anything that can help anons better themselves.

[pic related]
amazon.com/How-Fail-Almost-Everything-Still/dp/1591846919/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Other urls found in this thread:

fitday.com
1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
youtube.com/user/ActualizedOrg/playlists
freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=dIEemKcy-4E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump for interest

What's /sig/ reading right now? I'm through maybe a tenth of Meditations and I should've read this years ago

I do have to say, there's a fuckton of mods that don't like posts that aren't highly relevant to politics and world news.

Self improvement doesn't seem to be a major topic of their interest.

Sup Scott.

>xenoestrogens
this meme was kind of funny at first, but it's time to stop

Was just reading this a few hours ago. Pretty good desu

So what general fields are we going to go into here?

>Mental Health
>Physical Health

Cause I'm pretty unknowledgable about mental health outside of knowing that practicing mathematics regularly raises your intellect.

Side note, your mind is like a muscle, the less you use it, the more you slip out of reality.

thank you, op. i've been missing these threads.

It's a general thread for any kind of self improvement. Mental as well as physical health included.

Personally I'm looking for the motivational part of self improvement. Like sticking with things I start and not giving up halfway. But excercise and other things interest me too. Post whatever.

>fitday.com
Use this to better understand the macronutrients of the foods you eat on a daily basis. It can act as a journal to track your diet and you can add food items that aren't listed.

>1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
Use this to figure out the breakdown of calories and macronutrients you need in a day based on activity level.

Using these 2 sites in conjuction for a week or so will help you gain a better understanding of why your diet may or may not be working and why. In time, it will also eventually help you be able to "eyeball" the food you eat and gauge your daily intake without ever having to look it up at all.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of The Conquerer Manifesto/Controlled Burn by Pete Helmkamp?

currently working on the Syntopicon.

I read Dilbert Man's book not too long ago. Definitely worth reading. Self-improvement, mentally and physically, is always at the forefront of my mind.

There's a Jewtube channel that I watch a lot:

youtube.com/user/ActualizedOrg/playlists

The guy talks about self improvement in a variety of categories. Just stay away from the spiritual/enlightenment stuff if it freaks you out, otherwise, he has a lot of good practical advice.

>liked making 3d stuff for vidya ever since I found out games come with level editors
>got super interested in environments and stuff, including in irl architecture and urban design
>can't being myself to boot up 3d tools and make stuff anymore because every time I post anything I make anywhere I just get bullied
>can't being myself to make just about anything anymore because every time I post anything I make anywhere I just get bullied even when it's just dinky photoshops for post-ironic facebook meme pages

yeah yeah "juss do it for urself :^)" but when you're doing something that explicitly requires an audience for validation, it's hard to do it just to do it (see also: drawing, music, and literally every other art-like hobby)

like, whats the point of doing literally anything ever if youre just going to get shit on for it? I dont even clean my house because what few times i have people over, they just shit all over my room layout anyway

i cant even play video games anymore, i just feel constantly blamed by the game (and by extension its developers) for things outside of my control. all i do these days is sleep and watch youtubes of let's plays to try to vicariously live through their having fun (which is another thing i get shit on for, all my friends make fun of my for liking lets plays)

Is that like The Dilbert Principle or is it more explicitly autobiographical? What's the gist of it? Is it like a less serious Outliers?

bump

Anyone else working on appearance?

I've been rubbing minoxidil on my face and finally growing facial hair.

Thinking about buying a dermaroller next to get rid of any scarring or blemishes on my face.

Outliers has nothing for self improvement. Starts interesting and then goes muh slavery, got shit in muh mouth.

1. be born at the exact right month/year.
2. practice for 12 hours a day for ten years.
3. ????
4. profit.

recently bought some 5-htp, l-theanine and some sarcosine.

gonna try them one at a time

I've been wanting to exercise and get into shape, not that I'm overweight
>yet
But I think becoming physically fit and healthy should be my first step. Not really anything wrong with my face, though products for oily skin and facial hair growth would be appreciated.

>Anyone else working on appearance?

Ever since I started Stoicism, appearance became literally the least important thing in my life. Gray hairs bothered me before, now I hardly notice.

physical appearance is important as it gives you more social sway, which is important considering we all hold fringe opinions.

>wanting to
what's stopping you?

use this freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

count every single calorie you ingest, even if you use olive oil to cook.

track your weight week by week after using the restroom and before eating breakfast

Also, Minoxidil takes like 6 months to a year to fully maximize your dormant facial hair. The sooner you start, the better.

its almost like self improvement is pointless

post your 3D stuff.
got into modelling a couple months ago

>Stoicism

I'm currently reading pic related

I'm just lazy. I get into moods where I really want to work out, maybe for a few days, then I just lose motivation. Any books or shit on that?

Was just listening to this guy on a Dave Rubin interview. He claims Trump is going to win in a landslide.

Is this guy just batshit insane or a genius?

xenoestrogens are other materials that act like estrogen in your body

Off the top of my head, soy and pomegranate have xenoestrogens. I imagine it's one of the reasons why most vegans/vegetarians look weak

>post your 3D stuff.
not falling for that shit, fucko

>any book or shit on that

it's called resisting your impulses.

What kind of referral link is that?

Pomegranate actually helps boost t-levels

bumping interesting thread
By the way on Scotts periscope he said "
> I don't know why people would do this to themselves (go on Sup Forums)

Not much I can do about my face, lol, but being physically fit is a top priority for me right. I try to do a simple dumbbell routine every morning just to get the muscles stretched, but most of my improvement has come from finally getting my diet under control. Like earlier this year, I was eating pizza like 2-3 times a week and drinking energy drinks like crazy. Now I count calories and shoot for a 500 calorie deficit per day and I've lost 25 lbs since the beginning of last May.

The key to self improvement is to understand the nature of habits. Both creating them, keeping them, and breaking them.

Losing weight, getting into shape, saving money, all of it has to do with habits.

Source? I love pomegranate.

Also I quit drinking. 2 months sober now. It's amazing how quickly calories add up from booze.

Fail at Everything is 50/50 self help and biography.

Enjoyable read, good advice you might actually follow and all around decent. FYI Scott eats fish now, he's not a vegetarian anymore.

There is plenty you can do about your face, and some habits you should pick up while you lose weight.

pic related

>good haircut
>trimmed facial hair that accentuates his facial features (cheekbones, jaw)
>carrying your jaw forward instead of clenched and recessed
>tan
quick note: tans help define the curvatures of your face and body, hence why bodybuilders will put it on themselves to make their muscles stand out during competitions.

When you're pale, it all just blends into one mess.
>glasses that go complement his face
>low bodyfat, giving face more rigid look

Whats that?

Tbqh I bought into the supplement jew when I was trying to improve myself. The truth is, nothing is better than whole food and water.

check your test

>good advice you might actually follow
like what? scott is a cartoonist, which is 99% luck, and grew into the workforce during the dotcom boom, which is something we may never see the likes of ever again

My ideals

What test?

I used to work for a soap company. Don't use soap on your face.

The only two things you need for skin is sunscreen, and retin-a. Use those on a daily basis and you'll look 20 when your 60. Leave your skin to produce the oils that it needs and exfoliate it every other day.

The jacket in the bottom left is gay as fuck senpai

just look it up. Plenty of news sources talking about it.

If my memory is correct, it helps neutralize estrogen.

Supplements are shit cause the stuff you want is dead by time you take it. The average Vitamin C tablet for example is just a bunch of filler and ascorbic acid. Herbs are the redpilled supplement cause they're cheap as shit and have high concentrations of vitamins and minerals that last for at least a two years.

>ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
rly mks u tnk

Nutritional science is mostly BS. I'm sure I can find a source somewhere that says binge drinking cures baldness.

testosterone levels

I started lifting about a year ago, went from 130lbs and subpar to 155 and intermediate level on the symmetric strength site.

However The sweater looks pretty comfy

Doesn't testosterone cause baldness?

Yes it is luck. But you can become more lucky by setting yourself up to take advantage of opportunities in the future.

>obtain multiple skills that are complementary
>use systems that work for you and lead to success, don't purse specific goals (budget/financial planning is allowed)
>passion is bullshit

I have no idea.

>tfw Sup Forums will never form an online fraternity like the Free Masons solely dedicated to self improvement.
>tfw have to share a board with MGTOWs and robot crossboarders

No, its unrelated. Bald people just say it to make themselves feel better.

DHT and only if you're genetically predisposed

you only get baldness if you have the genes for baldness running in your family

you can be high test and bald or you can be high test and with a full head of hair.

Scott Adams plz go. You will never persuade me to read your book.

I'm a neet who's never had a job before. Ive tried applying places but I have nothing on my resume so nobody hires me. What do

You go to a doctor to test it
If its low you can fix it a bit with diet and lifting
Or get testosterone replacement therapy (you get injected with a pill that slowly relases test each 6mo)

Higher testosterone levels make you lose weight
Increase your muscule mass (even without training)
There have been a test with men on testosterone without training and a control group lifting, and the testosterone men gained more muscule

sorry but you have shit taste in women desu

>>obtain multiple skills that are complementary
scott adams was barely an engineer and his art still isnt good

he literally just got lucky.

drive by:

just apply to all places as you walk by

shift:

You work 5 hrs a day if you have a job, so apply to jobs for 5 hrs straight.

I've been trying to predict if I'm going to go bald. Grandpa on my moms side was an albino bald guy, but my dad has a full head of hair.

Meanwhile I'm mid 20s and can't grow a beard. I'm hoping that the no-beard means I'll keep my head hair.

offer to work for free for a week. work your ass off to impress them. if they don't hire you, ask them for a recommendation.

doesn't mean anything.

rub some minoxidil on that face of yours.

luck isn't real you have to figure out a way to meme yourself into positions of power

I wish we could have more threads like this on Sup Forums, but then again it's not quite politics.

>tfw productive memeber of society master race

Damn I should make an appointment then

Ask to talk to a manager and explain your situation to him and hand him your shitty resume. If you can make a good impression this is your best option. I got my minimum wage jobs as a teenager that way.

this is meme advice, just apply on craigslist

dont bother handing out CVs to places in person unless they explicitly say they're hiring, or you know the people who work at or own the place and they can give you a recommendation or similar

alternatively, join the military. the canadian naval reserve is always hiring. procurement is a joke but we've actually got a fairly large budget for personnel and training and recruitment and stuff

Be prepared to take a shitty job. Honestly every fast food place by me is hiring. I'm sure you can ask around

tips say you def should

>guys no one is even calling me back
>STOP BEING SO FUCKING ENTITLED, WHY, IN MY DAY, I FLIPPED BURGERS BOTH UP AND DOWN HILLS

How old are you? Have you ever tried a temp service? If you can pass a drug test, and you have a highschool education, you will be more than qualified to get a job through a temp service. Sometimes, if you're lucky, and the job market is doing well, you can start of working at a factory for over $10/hour with no experience required

How old? My suggestion go to grocery stores, no shame in working at a wal-mart. Most places do their applications online now, but your best bet is to go to the store and ask to speak with a manager. get a moment of face-to-face and ask them if they have any positions open. Places often recieve tons of applications, getting a moment of face-to-face is the difference between being shuffled in the pile and being pulled for an interview. be clean, shave, be courteous. Be willing to work anywhere they'll put you and have an open schedule. show up on time, don't fuck off too much and try and be pleasant to be around.

What the hell is it about Scott that suddenly caught peoples attention lately?

I remember watching his thing with Molymeme, and I listened to that audiobook, pretty good, but tappers off toward the end but good coverage for all kinds of applicable advice.

His periscopes are neat, but seriously what gives?

I never thought dilbert was funny.

Clearly it didn't teach you not to throw your fucking trash on the floor.

Now I have to. Thanks Don

jizzsock detected

He was lucky, but were it not for the skills he developed and an an attitude of working hard, the opportunity to take advantage of that luck would have passed him by. Sometimes, losers will get lucky and hard working people will get screwed. That's just the way life is. Scott Adams is simply explaining in his book how to develop a system of increasing your odds of luck finding you.

There are no guarantees in life guy.

Wear a button-down shirt

Government is literally mind control
youtube.com/watch?v=dIEemKcy-4E

I'm not big into him either but I heard about this book and will probably read it soon. His newest political cartoons with Hillary are pretty good tho

Nice fingernails. Can I put them in my mouth?

Scott started blogging about Trump's killshots last year. That shit got shared a lot online. Dilbert was incredibly unfunny, but peeps went nuts for his blogs.

Explain further please.

>tfw the only thing keeping me sane is my inevitable daily self-rebuking half hour monologues about how tomorrow is going to be different because *I* will it to be so
>it never is
It has literally gotten to a point where you can record one of them and place it side by side with another one and it would sound exactly the same. I don't know why I do it anymore, but it gives me comfort.

Now if only I could transmute the vigor I have doing that to other aspects of my life.

Step #1

Put on a pound of make up in the morning. A rich guy might want to fuck you that day.

you heard it here first guys, if you scrawl some sharpie comics on copier paper and pin them to your cubicle, you too can be a billionaire like scott adams :)

Follow up on direct applications. Any online app you dump via craigslist or indeed etc make sure you have a polished CV and include a tailored cover letter.

I like dilbert.
I especially see it purpose when it gets the desired reaction from the target audience.
Anyone else its mostly a chuckle from the gut.
Or nothing.

Well neat, he's gettin that screen time he deserves I suppose.
He has an interesting way by which he keeps his head on his shoulder for sure.

Laugh if you want but I am currently finishing up Codecademy's python tutorials and almost done with day 2 of NoFap. Both are pretty lame goals but its better than nothing.

isn't that dildog's neighbor?

I got beat up by my mom in grade school and was the most picked on kid. I wound up becoming one of the most popular kids in school by my senior year and was swimming in pussy.

I fucked around in high school and skipped a lot of class and never took my SATs. A community college paid me to attend and covered all my classes.

I got nothing but a lousy associates degree in music from a shitty community college nobody's heard of or cared about. I have a six figure job in the data sciences.

My ex wife dumped me on Christmas day, 1999. I spent the next 10 years struggling to see my son. Lawyers, caseworkers, teachers and more held me to unrealistic standards with loss of custody lingering over my head. I even did lose custody, for a short while. I'm remarried to a loyal, doting, sexy as fuck woman who cooks and cleans and sexes me up constantly with two more great kids and a fantastic relationship with my oldest.

When I was 21 I was technically homeless. Now I own a home. (Well, I have a mortgage but still)

Ask me questions if you want. I'm watching a movie so I'll answer when I feel like it.