In all seriousness, what went wrong?

In all seriousness, what went wrong?

Keep memes to a minimum please.

heath ledger died

It wasn't a terrible film by any means, but it felt rushed and the villains were kind of a let down. Bane should have been kept the main big bad through the film. Talia didn't feel like she fit in the film, even with her parentage. She or Bane would both be better off as a solo villain.

Nolan wanted to riff off of "A Tale of Two Cities" so much that he forgot he was still making a Batman movie.

That, and Nolan's usual problems of pacing and nonsensical plot elements are worse than usual in this movie.

A few things.

WB heads wanted the movie quick, not many people would tell Nolan "no", and Nolan himself was pretty half-hearted about the whole thing.

Nolan can't direct action.

Terrible plot, writing and acting, things that are crucial for a film to get right.

Thank you for posting

nothing, was a solid flick

It was a big flop

Heavy focus on a "realistic" Batman, a laughably bad Bane, and it forgot that it was supposed to be a Batman movie.

We forgot to add that Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays one of the worst Mary Sues ever put on film.

Seriously, the next time some feminist tries to argue that "Mary Sue" is an inherently sexist term, just show her John Blake.

>A tale of two cities
How so? I haven't read any Dickens.

It all comes down to rushed production.

That's.

That's pretty much it.

I'm thinking "inmates overthrow the asylum" of Gotham/Paris with show trials and public executions (although they didn't kill people in DKR). It has very little to do with Tale of Two Cities so other than that first point i have very little idea what he's talking about.

John Blake is not even good at being a Mary Sue. He is basically only character that uses basic logic in a capeshit movie, but gets constantly cock blocked by people who don't.

Honestly, Blake to me feels like Nolan's criticism of capeshit movies. Making him no reason Robin is a little middle finger as well.

Pretty sure in addition to venom, Bane eats plenty of protein. Also, in his cell in Pena Duro, his diet of fish and rats brewed up a monstrosity in his guts. I can imagine that whenever Bane wanted to humiliate another prisoner, he'd pin them down and fart in their face with his bare ass.

It's possible (though no means certain) that he may have done the same to Batman after breaking him.

I'll give The Dark Knight Rises this and only this:

it feels more like a "Batman" movie than The Dark Knight did

This

Also the phrase "Fire Rises" originates from Tale of Two Cities. I'm pretty sure I read that the allusion was deliberate, but it's definitely more of an allusion than copying the plot

I only saw this movie once but thought it was okay. Thought people exaggerated its flaws.

>opening scene is ridiculous, too much of a copy of TDK's opening, and ultimately pointless
>Batman doesn't even appear until an hour into the movie, and then proceeds to get his ass kicked by Bane and crippled
>Bane simply isn't as engaging as the Joker (and Tom Hardy is not really a "big guy" by Bane standards)
>Catwoman never gets to be properly Catwoman, she's just a tool for the plot
>dumb last-minute plot twist that turns Bane into a joke
>bad acting all-around (Christopher "one take" Nolan)
>too many plot holes
>poorly choreographed action sequences that look extremely silly if you're paying attention
>hamfisted themes
>dumb ending, should have kept Bruce's fate ambiguous

I could keep going but basically, TDK works because the villain is so charismatic. The Joker is the glue that holds everything together and prevents TDK from being a complete mess. I have nothing against Tom Hardy but his Bane fell pretty flat.

>The Joker is the glue that holds everything together and prevents TDK from being a complete mess

I guess people here don't like the nolan movies in general...

Don't get me wrong, I like TDK, I'm just saying that TDKR was basically an off-kilter TDK. You can see where TDK might have fallen part if certain things were just a little bit tweaked in the wrong direction. TDKR tries to ape TDK constantly and fails.

>Bruce leaving for fucking YEARS in the first place
>Bruce having any connections or money AT ALL after the ridiculously uncharacteristic leave of absence
>EVERY ACTIVE-DUTY COP IN GOTHAM CHARGING INTO A TUNNEL AS IF THAT ISN'T A RISKY MOVE AT ALL
>DOZENS OF ARMED MEN REMAINING UNSEEN AND UNTRACKED AFTER COMMITTING DOMESTIC TERRORISM AND GRAND LARCENY ON A MASSIVE SCALE, IN A HEAVILY-POPULATED METROPOLITAN AREA, -ON FUCKING DIRT BIKES-
>THESE VERY SAME MOTHERFUCKERS REMAINING UNDETECTED LONG ENOUGH TO HIT BRUCE WAYNE'S ABSOLUTELY SECRET AND OFF-THE-RECORD ARMORY, BEFORE COMMITTING MORE DOMESTIC TERROR AND HOLDING AN ENTIRE CITY HOSTAGE WITH INADEQUATE NUMBERS-- AND NOT GETTING SHOT IN THE FACE BY THE MILITARY OR ANGRY CITIZENS BEFORE ANY OF THEIR RETARDED PLANS COME TO FRUITION
>A PLAN THAT INVOLVES FAKING A REVOLUTION WITH ESCAPED CONVICTS... BEFORE NUKING IT ALL ANYWAY
>CITIZENS BUYING FULLY INTO AN OBVIOUS BAD GUY'S LIES
>BAD GUYS THEN PROCEED TO SIT THERE WITH THEIR THUMBS UP THEIR ASS WHILE BATMAN LITERALLY HEALS A BROKEN SPINE IN A HOLE SOMEWHERE, HAVING NOT KILLED HIM LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE
>THE FINAL FIGHT IS LITERALLY JUST TO LOOK GOOD, AND CHARGING EACH OTHER HEAD-ON BENEFITS NONE OF THE PARTIES INVOLVED
>FUCKING CATWOMAN POPS UP OUTTA NOWHERE AFTER ZERO SCREEN TIME FOR THE PAST HOUR TO DEUS-EX-BATBIKE THE PLOT ALONG
>THE PROXIMITY OF THE NUCLEAR BLAST WOULDN'T HAVE "SAVED" GOTHAM AT ALL, AND SHOULD HAVE MADE IT A NUCLEAR WASTELAND
>THAT STUPID FUCKING HALLMARK CHANNEL-TIER ENDING SCENE

Also, Anne Hathaway's talent was kind of wasted on this movie. Not nearly enough screentime to justify Catwoman's appearance or flex her acting chops.

Overall: a mix of scenes, visuals, and characters with potential are marred by a plot that shouldn't have left the spitballing session, dubious pacing, and a script written by someone with no idea how to write natural speech. Its greatest contribution was literally the beginning scene, and only then because of Sup Forums's memery.

>every cape movie

Nolan became immune to the editors, and you always need some kind of control otherwise director goes all George Lucas on you.

In all seirousness, Goyer was at the forefront of writing the script and he's just not that good a writer, so you end up with a story that repeats its character arc twice in a row
Bruce Retires
Batman's old and hurt.
Then shit happens and he gets his groove back
Then he gets hurt again
Then he gets his groove back again.
Then he retires again.

They could've just cut out the unnecessary "He quit for eight years" and the movie would've been much tighter.

>George Lucas on you
????
There's nothing wrong with the prequels that isn't also wrong with the first film from '77.

>forgetting about stupid contrivances that propel the plot like pic related

Batman literally doesn't show up until an hour in

Bruce Wayne is Batman though.

You know what he means.

Admittedly, this is true. I know that the retirement for eight years was meant to show how much Rachel's death affected him, but there were other ways they could have shown that.

They could have had him become more aggressive/violent towards criminals, showing that he's losing control. Or they could have him become over focused on being Batman to the point that he neglects his life as Bruce Wayne. Or they could have even pulled an Iron Man and had him turn to drinking to cope.

But then, I feel like ideally they should have done another movie before this that had Two-Face as the main villain (maybe with Black Mask or Penguin as a secondary villain) instead of rushing his story in the second movie.

Twitter bots.

'no'

>There's nothing wrong with the prequels that isn't also wrong with the first film from '77
I don't remember luke killing children and being treated as the victim for it.

>Anakin enters into a Faustian bargain to save his wife
>has to get stronger in the Dark Side to save her
Not seeing a problem.

Also, Vader was already complicit in planetcide in ANH (Alderaan). Lots of kids on Alderaan.

So again, there is nothing wrong with the PT that isn't also wrong with ANH.

>thinks guns are bad even though he's a cop who's been trained to use them

Can somebody set me up for a banepost?

Ok I'll just do it myself. It was a big movie

Tried to upstage its predecessor, which never works.

For you

This is Plothole: the Movie, there are so many I can't find the movie enjoyable on any level.

Don't knock the Hallmark Channel. At least they're not bullshitting you.