What does Sup Forums think of The Critic?

What does Sup Forums think of The Critic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lu7PxhwDGqw
youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40
youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE
youtu.be/8LeQiDEVMuE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It stinks!

it stinks

good show, funny and intelligent

a lot of people think it was rather short-lived but i think what we got was enough.

Simpsons crossover was GOAT

It stinks!

LOL

Matt had his name removed from the crossover episode credits

I appreciate it so much more as an adult and want more of it.

>These peas are filled with delicious
>pea-ness
>Who wrote this? I'm leaving

Just take some peas for the road

It at the very least deserved a better finale.

So the web show never happened right?

All I remember are the edits of that phone call scene.

it really got shat on
i just can't imagine what it would have done if it continued, because like, the movies it was making fun of were actually GOOD. it's just only now we realize they were steppingstones towards bad. reminds me of the radioactive man movie episode of the simpsons.. how'd they see it coming so clearly when that hadn't actually happened yet?
indubitably. nothing but a bad dream jay had. then he rolled over and cuddled alice, which startled her awake and caused her to cuss some delightful southern swear, before realizing what it is and patting him like the koala he is.

its sadly more relevant today than it was when it was new

also, i want that expendables 1990s version that was just dirty dozen with eddie murphy and shit

god, critic always had the best fake movies that i wanted to watch. FUCK

Oh, what luck! There's a French fry stuck in my beard!

the what show?
web wwwwwwwwwwhat?

internet who?

yeah, lets just never imagine that existed and its in another reality...

youtube.com/watch?v=Lu7PxhwDGqw
You think that's bad? I'm partnered with Sinbad, Ed Koch, a backscratcher, a Family Guy cutaway gag, and the kid from Blank Check

youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40

"They are even better when you're dead"

I wasn't smart enough for The Critic and Duckman as a kid but I have been too lazy to go back and watch them.

Buy my book!

Because he was being a petty faggot who didn't want other people riding "his" coattails to success even when they'd been part of what made The Simpsons successful in the first place.

And personally if I had to choose between even golden age Simpsons and The Critic I'd still go with The Critic. So many memorable and hilarious moments in just that short run.

Prophetic.

youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE

EH ACHM

I would like to see another season, seeing how much the critic world has changed with the internet and how Jay would react to it.

But it would probably suck. I just want more episodes.

I'd be game for more. But only if they get the old writers back onboard.

I loved the Simpsons marathon threads. When A Star Is Burns played and Jay did an ACHEM, there was at least five posts in a row all repeating it.

A reboot where Jay tried to become a successful youtuber or some shit like that after his show is cancelled or they get someone to replace him would be interesting. Especially the clash of old world views when it comes to criticizing modern cinema.

Is Doug okay?

green pea-ness

Was he gay?

That would explain why the internet shorts said he got married to and then divorced from Alice.

I never watched those, but now you have piqued my curiosity. He and his boss always had some weird sexual tension.

He was whatever would be most pathetic for any given joke. Even though he's a small guy, he's frequently depicted as too heavy for human beings to move.

Duke: Son, I'll grant you any wish you want.
Jay: Anything?
Duke: Uh oh.
Jay: *sighs* I don't want to sleep with you.
Duke: No no, Jay, I'm a man of my word. You just go hog-wild.

NOW I FUCKIN GET THE JOKE, PEA NESS AS IN PENIS...

My favorite touch is they add a klinking sound when he drops some peas to confirm that they are still frozen and he scarfs them down anyway.

That could work, i think it would be a big hit.

No man in their right mind would sleep with him.

You underestimate me.

This leaves me convinced that we're to blame for bad movies. We've shown time and time again that we would happily, eagerly take the mindless popcorn flick over anything meaningful. I mean, why else would Transformers, Fast and the Furious, and capeshit do so well in the box office?

I read this in Jay's voice.

The dumbest part is the crossover episode is fucking great and produced a ton of classic jokes and scenes in that episode alone. Man Getting Hit By Football, Rainier Wolfcastle's stand up, Barney's movie, Non-Union Mexican Equivalent, Boo-Urns and that's just off the top of my head.

Wait a minute...

Penguins can't fly.

PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!

You badmouthed Macguyver, didnt you?

Small, but compact.

...and that's why I'm glad the Beatles broke up!

Yes, Mr Sherman. Everything stinks

>in their right mind
He had a qualifier for that.

I SAY GAZE INTO THE HYPNOTIC POWER OF MY EVIL EYE

Pigeons really love the sound of my voiAAUGHHCGK-

For the million post. It stinks!

The watercolor backgrounds were pretty cozy desu

Alice always was a qt.

Favorite movie parody?
>Apocalypse Wow!
Howdy doo, I'm Colonel Kurtz
All dolled up like old Fred Mertz
Watch me do a hula dance
To shake the egg rolls from my pants.

He's not so bad, he's really just an odd man.
And I shaved my head like Dennis Rodman.
He's a god, man!

Vote for Duke! Vote for Duke!
VOTE FOR DUKE!

30 Rock is totally The Critic Part 2
Every joke is about being awkward because of smart, the republicans and television/film stupidity. Also Alec Baldwin as Duke Phillips

Take that, Birth of Man!

technically his cuban green card wife fills in the other divorce quota

there's nothing wrong with good solid action. we're getting better and better at that. The action itself has to enthrall your mind and pull it in, or you get bored. transformers is no different from, say, a jackie chan movie.
fast and the furious is gay because it's just fucking cars.
capeshit is hit and miss because most of the time they can't or don't try to make the action any good. hellboy is an example of one where they got everything ELSE right, but couldnt make the action work

He doesn't act anymore; he's on CRUISE CONTROL

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AH HAHAHAHAHAHHA
I JUST MADE THAT UP

I have a sudden urge to purchase a book.

Margo was pretty cute, too.

This. Nowhere did they say WHO the ex was, just that it was a second bitch and not the one who bought a billboard to remind him of his alimony checks.

>underestimating the erection of gay chubby chasers everywhere

im not into chubby daddies, but he's an absolute exception

I'm glad there is still a lot of interest towards The Critic, maybe there is still hope for a revival.

I don't know. Duke's actor died a couple years ago, Doris' perished a long while ago, and god only knows if the voices of the parents are still alive.

And didn't the actress who played Marty retire or something.

Alice is cute. CUTE!

You can always hire new actors. Actors retiring is only a problem on airing shows, where the change is more noticeable.

True, but who could replace Duke's VA? He was pretty damn recognizable, it's not like it was something easily imitated.

I'd date her references!

The problem with the Critic is that the good jokes were too complex to ever retell properly.

>lol there's this action star whose sidekicks keep dying because it's a trope so he's paired up with a guy who instantly explodes and says "I guess that one's on me" and gets paired up with a dinosaur and siamese twins while Arnold is there complaining that he got paired up with a leprechaun who says "I'll be your lucky charm!" and then instantly explodes

Like if you want to get someone watching the Simpsons you just say

>Come on! Put it in H!

Not really that complex, it was just a jab at how 80s/90s action flicks were going with really goofy concepts like "A hardnosed cop is partnered with a wise-cracking kid!" and so on.

Not to say some jokes weren't layered or creative, that Penguins can't fly was fucking genius.

oh man! FUNNY JONTRON NOISE!
ECH ECH ECH!

yeah

without that standup, a meme would have died before it was born.

at least family guy can't even replicate it
thank god..

There really doesn't seem to be any reason to specify two divorces beyond explaining why Alice wasn't around.

Christine Cavanaugh retired in 2001 and passed away a few years ago. Eleanor and Franklin's are still around; I think they're around the same age as Lovitz actually.

The internet shorts are of so low quality I can't take them as being canon to the show. It's obvious the reason Alice "broke up" with him is because they didn't want to bother putting another VA on the tab.

Jon Lovitz gives that same likable performance we've always loved. Once again proving that Gracie Films have the magic touch that may not win awards, but will always keep America smiling.

They never really did get married.
Yeah the whole point of the shorts was delivering fast jokes about current movies, but that backfired when the animation studios didn't deliver timely.

You're Satan aren't you?

Where can I watch it?

.youtu.be/8LeQiDEVMuE

Here

Get the guy who replaced him on Squidbillies.

YOU WIN ANOTHER ROUND user BUT WE SHALL MEET AGAIN! BLEH!!

Margo is one of the most underrated Sup Forums girls. But I actually understand why and don't mind that things are this way.

>you will never disqualify Margo from wearing white

What they did to her face on s2 was a crime.

Wasn't he dating a movie star in the very first episode? He reviewed her movie and her acting badly and that's they they broke up.

I assumed Jay would just work for someone else
oh my god that WAS him wasn't it? I mean, briefly. until he was replaced. sure that'd work fine.
I mean, Marty could just grow up a bit. That'd be nice. he is basically Max Goof

Honestly, you know who's the most irreplaceable other than Lovitz? Maurice Lamarche. They even got him for the web series. Had to. It's not the same without him.
Fuck if they could get Rob Paulsen as an older Marty they'd be fucking set. he could review movies featuring dudley moore and peter cook somehow back from the dead. maybe making fun of how star wars has straight up tried recreating dead actors.

Yea, but Jay and Alice never married even though they were kind of driving towards the idea near the show's last few episodes with them.

Eh, I guess. He clearly doesn't sound like a 1:1 match, but they could do worse.

That's what you call a beard, but I really think he is bisexual in denial.

that's why* they

>"Now be honest. Can you wear white?"
>"Yes. Except for the gloves."

Best episode?

honestly I like aspects of both margos.
that episode was a little annoying because it was basically an anticlimax. she assures him she isnt just into him for the review, and .. nope, turns out she is.

i'm not even sure which interpretation I would rather that means

Get the real Ted Turner to do it.

>child me: "Oh, she masturbates a lot."
>adult me: "Oh, LOTS of hand jobs."

My friends and I agreed on the marathon episode being the best. Every fucking joke, 10/10

>Sir, isn't it today that I usually give the horses enemas? Pleeease say it is