Jupiter Saga

Although it isn't out yet, I'm eagerly anticipating the final issue of Jupiter's Legacy V2. In spirit of that series, I'm going to post all of Volume 1 and the first volume of the sister series Jupiter's Circle.

BUMP!

And we're off...

If you stick around for the entire thread I'll wuv u forever.

In five pages Millar and Quietely establish the foundation for their superhuman universe. An incredible feat for any writer.

Fucking kids.

Totally getting a Captain Amazing vibe from Mystery Men. This is a very good thing.

I'd be really disappointed if the SuperCrooks don't show up in the last issue.

Also, anyone excited for the third and final generation next year?

Jupiter's Requiem

Two pages and Brandon is already a little turd. How/why he ever got the idea in his head that he can help people is beyond me.

Nice to see what goes on in the background of major battles. Also I'm not sure if anyone else picked up on this, but Quietely almost exclusively uses a 2x4 grid for these issues. Interestingly, the grid is never fully taken advantage of as each page generally sticks to the trend of 4-5 panels. (4 wide panels: 3 wide and a 2 split).

This was a deliberate move by the creative team as it quickens the pace of the story by a considerable margin as well as adding a certain cinematic flair to teh story. Another note is that Millar limits himself to 25-30 words per split panel, or 50 words every wide. Also he tries to limit his dialog to comment, response (and counter response if he necessary).

Fuck & Yes

I figure it has to be Hitch or Jock next time around.

Something that sells that it's meant to be the next step.

Resort fight scene in this was the best one in anything this year.

I consider this easily one of Quietely's strongest pages. That said, the entire series is a treat to behold.

>I think Sheldon's hitting you with a car right now, but he shouldn't be more than a few seconds. Just wait here and try not to think about it. I think they just snapped your back-bone.
>Oh god...
Probably one of the few times where "Show, don't tell" would probably create a less powerful scene.

I love that they are holding Blackstar's arms behind his back and wailing on him. Definitely not "heroic".

I love how this is essentially the same trick in SuperCrooks.

Just a good way of showing the familial connection that ties the two series.

I know Walter is a monster, but he does have a point and Sheldon needs to pull his head out of his ass. Not often you can see two characters simultaneously right and wrong.

Been meaning to read this.

I don't think so. The whole point is the horror of what you don't see. That's why he/this is so scary. The series as a whole does great things with the telepathy.

The visceral stuff you get with the mom is more than enough to get the point across.

>Your wish is our humble command.
Shots fired! Also, what would Sheldon have actually done if they decided to tell him to fuck off? I can't tell if he's just "strongly suggesting" a course of behavior or an actual order.

Dropping acid in the Marianas Trench seems fucking terrifying.

Circle makes Sheldon's point of view make so much more sense.
He's really way too scared of becoming a Nieztchian or Randian Ubermensch.

Brain-Wave is just a dick.

But that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Millar wrote this scene with the mentality "Tell, don't show" because the mystery/ambiguity of the beatdown adds so much to an otherwise "plain scene".

In the world of comics what Millar did is generally seen as a no-no because it detracts from the point of comics wherein its a visual medium. In most circumstances writers are told to operate from the other mentality, "Show, don't tell," where a writer should a create a scene that conveyed through the art, rather than dialog present in speech bubbles. In the fight with Blackstar, he did the exact opposite of what he was "supposed to do" with amazing results.

I'd imagine the lightshows from all the fish down there would make it a hell of a trip.

I bet there's some truth in what Brandon is saying but he should be thankful his dad showed up when he did.

You done fucked up, CHloe.

I know Jules is a piece of shit but the pink bear and flowers indicates at least a little bit of sentiment.

For someone without superhuman abilities, Hutch is a tank. Even if he was there for a couple hours, slamming back 8 full pints of even a 4% beer is fucking impressive.

Truly an absolute shit way to die.

How the fuck does that rod work? Clearly it's voice activated but he managed to retrieve it from shark infested waters probably miles away while underwater. I bet he wired a transmitter directly into his vocal cords and a corresponding receiver within the rod. Then again all this is speculation and it could just be a magic rod.

Chloe and Hutch's relationship is one of the best things about this series.

Skyfox modeled it after the original Power Rod.
Probably keyed in telepathically, but works through vocal for ease.

Walter what you doin?

>8 pints is impressive
Can tell you've never been out on the lash m8

The Hutches in general are fucking great.

>No, you agreed Sheldon.
BTFO! Again, I know the Utopian is the hero but his attitude is incorrigible.

I like it.

Dude, I'm a pretty big social drinker and 2 pitchers by yourself within a short amount of time is impressive. No need to try and look cool here.

>Just get in there and do as you're told.
Again, people need to tell Sheldon to fuck off. If he retaliates with force, then you have even more of an excuse to put him down.

>So do something about it.
Walter you stay away from him. Brandon is too stupid to think for himself.

He's meant to be intractable.

It's why Kid Utopian is seen as almost messiah-esque.
He's all that Utopian was, but fully realized.

And the plot thickens.

Good cover.

Weird to think that Hutch and Chloe turned out to be more stellar parents that the Utopian and

Eh, I have to think that the preternatural intellect and whatever else they got going on in their genes did most of the work.
The less strict upbringing probably aided in cultivating it though.

>A ban on all religions, I could hardly sleep my head was so buzzing.
I know this may not be a popular opinion and it's a stupid thing to nitpick, but I'm getting sick of constantly seeing that the world would be a better place without religion.

Dammit I got cut off. Utopian and Lady Liberty. Also can anyone answer if Jules is the child of Brainwave and Skyfox's ex?

>I reuse to make the same mistake with you young man.
How did I miss all of Sheldon's dickishness the first time I read this series? All he does for three issues is bitch, complain, and order his colleagues around like they're his fucking lapdogs. It's no wonder that everyone hates him. Even I hate him.

>Also can anyone answer if Jules is the child of Brainwave and Skyfox's ex?

Unconfirmed, but likely.
He's known as Brainwave's son and all.

Meanwhile, Johnny Bolt's girlfriend is his illegitimate daughter and I guess no one really sees her as part of the family, if she's claimed.

If there's one thing Millar does well, it's ramp things up from 0-60 in the span of one panel. He may not write the most flowery of fight scenes, but they display the full might of superpowers pushed to their limits and used in ways not necessarily intended. When powers do enter the picture, they are fast, mean, and impactful which isn't something you get to see in most cape comics.

Using an asteroid loaded with explosives to "soften" the Utopian up just emphasizes how powerful he is and probably why all the other heroes fell in line.

The heroes don't waste any time and proceed to start laying down the smack before he's even hit the earth.

Oh god no.

This cunt can't die fast enough. I wish sombody'd hurry up with that.

The world might be a better place without religion, but it sure as fuck wouldn't be a better place with a BAN on religion. You can't force people to abandon a faith. You can't even force people to abandon drugs for god's sake.

She didn't deserve this.

>Aneurysm.
Why he didn't do that before I have no idea. Probably because Walter is a twisted fuck.

>You can't even force people to abandon drugs for god's sake.
Damn skippy they can't. I'm taking a bong rip right now.

HUTCH TO THE MUTHA FUCKING RESCUE!!!!

>that guy hanging upside down
>TWO people dual-wielding katanas

You just know they're laughed at by all the other people.

>Those feet off to the side in the bottom panel.

>Christ! Is he okay?
>He's fine!
I'm dying. Also does anyone else think Hutch's teleporation rod has one of the best representations in comic media? It's not overly flash or drawn in, with most jumps happening within a single panel or two.

>Johnny Bolt's girlfriend is his illegitimate daughter
I feel like this is something that can definitely be pieced together, but is there any hard evidence in Supercrooks or Legacy/Circle?

Something I didn't really notice till now, but the Utopian was getting his ass handed to him before Brandon showed up. It doesn't really look like the other heroes need his help to finish the job. So I see one of two possibilities.

1. Even with all those heroes wailing on him and having survived MULTIPLE nukes to the face, the Utopian was still recovering at an extraordinary rate and in spite of those injuries he would have quickly overpowered them and assured his victory, which is why Brainwave enlisted the help of Brandon, to prevent that from happening.

2. Brainwave was completely aware that enlisting the help of Brandon wouldn't be necessary, but decides that having Brandon be the one to actually do it is actually beneficial in a sense. First, he convinced one of his kids to do it which has to be an ego boost. Second, he can always state that Brandon was ultimately the one to do it and maintain his "innocence" if things start to turn sour for him. And thirdly, and this is the one that think, having Brandon kill Sheldon cements Brandon's relationship to Walter. Brandon literally killed for him and if there's one thing I know that builds an attachment to him.

Just something Millar flat out said.
There's no hard evidence other than both of them being really powerful mind manipulators.

And the end of SuperCrooks has her put together her own "mind painting"

The series went on an extremely long hiatus after the third issue before returning. While that pissed off a lot of people, it gave me time to revisit these first three issues and scan them over and I've come to a conclusion. Millar managed to create his own universe complete with fully realized characters and history. He and Quietely managed to do more world building and characterization in 3 issues than many series ever manage to achieve with 4 times the issues. And he also managed to do this with significantly less dialog due to the self-imposed panel restrictions. Fucking insane.

I saw it as them not being able to kill him. It took the whole group to keep him down, but only his kid actually had the power to finish him off. Sooner or later the group would tire of beating him up and he'd be able to escape. If he was really about to be killed by the group then he really shouldn't have been so coherent at the end. He went down perfectly explaining what Walter was actually doing.

As an aside, the only thing I really didn't like about this is how everyone seems to be on-board with killing them so callously. Especially with how they act like they're all family. A Civil War-type thing just seems more reasonable than every second-generation hero and onward being asshole murderers just because they've got a domineering uncle.

I'm glad we revisited the island, but I don't know how I feel about their powers being bestowed upon them by aliens. I almost would have preferred them keep it ambiguious or explain that these creatures aren't really aliens, it's just a form that can be easily accepted by them.

I completely agree, but I think Millar had pretty strongly hinted that this attitude towards Walter was building for a number of years, and they had finally just grown sick of it. And I don't think all the heroes united against him, just the ones that felt like they were under his boot, which is probably the more powerful ones because they would be on the front line with him, thus receive the most amount of domineering from the Utopian.

They're very likely Monitors of some sort, seeing as they popped up on Earth-1

Totally getting an Authority vibe from this page and I love it.

Earth 1 in Millar's universe or DC universe? I need to know more.

Is Earth-1 the Kick Ass earth?

Earth-1 is the Kick-Ass Earth

I had a chart, but it's basically

Earth 1: Jupiter's Circle - Wanted - Kick-Ass - Nemesis etc

Earth 2: Jupiter's Circle - SuperCrooks - Jupiter's Legacy etc