Without memeing...

Without memeing, can you tell me why you think Jim Shooter was such a good Editor-In-Chief of Marvel and why many of you want him back in the position?

Other urls found in this thread:

jimshooter.com/2011/10/ultimate-comics-all-new-spider-man-1.html
jimshooter.com/2011/10/ultimate-comics-all-new-spider-man-1.html/
jimshooter.com/2011/10/ultimate-comics-all-new-spider-man-2.html/
rsmwriter.blogspot.com/2016/06/jim-shooter-second-opinion.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He didn't take bullshit and demanded professionalism. Look at how Marvel's current staff act like babies in public all the damn time, how often you get books like Karnak or Hawkeye that get delayed far beyond a reasonable point, the shitty webcomic personalities that pump out doodles doing regular interior art duty on full price comics. None of that shit would fly with him.

Please stop. Your ruining our already ruined imageboard.

OP here. What did I do wrong, cute girl snake?

1) Enforced deadlines. If a person with talent couldn't meet them, he'd get someone who could.

2) "Every comic could be someone's first" rule. Yes, it shackled some writers with their pacing of stories in multiple issues, but it was a proven method of sales success that helped put Marvel in front during the 70's & 80's.

3) Consider for a moment the demands he put on issue quality and how it would affect copy and pasted panel gags, reused art in general, and how different Big Event series might have turned out because of extra editing and quality checks? I fully believe changes made would have been for the better.

4) He wouldn't put up with Bendis speak. Search your heart, you know it's true. That's the best fucking reason right there.

Anti-PC. Anti-degeneracy. Shooter is /ourguy/.

Jim Shooter looks like a supervillian

How'd he get those scars?

Jim Shooter made some bad descisions but he does like comic books, and you can't fault him for having expectations of his workers. He would definitely make Marvel better, but then just about anybody could.

Acne nah, actually it was a vicious knife fight in the slums of Pittsburgh, when he was a mob enforcer

>Search your heart, you know it's true.

You don't even need to search, you can see how Shooter reviewed two issues of Ultimate Spider-Man (when Miles took over).

>reviewed
You mean, he tore him a new one with his bare hands.

Gonna need I link to that

jimshooter.com/2011/10/ultimate-comics-all-new-spider-man-1.html

jimshooter.com/2011/10/ultimate-comics-all-new-spider-man-1.html/
jimshooter.com/2011/10/ultimate-comics-all-new-spider-man-2.html/

Thanks

He wasn't your guy, Sup Forums. Hardly anyone is outside out your cult.

>but then just about anybody could
Any faggot on here that read an Essential omnibus would lead Marvel to a new golden age.

>Anti-PC
He wanted to make Ferro Lad black but editorial wouldn't let him

And he authorized a black female Captain Marvel, much before tumblr turned the publisher into its bitch.

The user here has it just about right A lot of people didn't like Shooter, and you could argue about some of his ideology. But he got shit done.

Compared to Alonso who seems terrified of walking unfamiliar ground (event after event, rehashing ideas) just about anyone with some professionalism would do a better job.

>It’s another decompressed issue. Two issues and eight bucks into this, not much has happened—but in this issue, the not much was engagingly presented

You could use this as a review summary for just about any Bendis book

>1.5k words on tearing the cover apart alone

Jesus, I like this guy's style.

>But all in all, this is pathetic. It’s the writer’s fault. The artists are capable enough.
>So is the writer, judging from other things I’ve seen. He’s not stupid, untalented or unskilled. It seems as though he phoned this one in. Easy money. Why not, if the Marvel editorial bozos are clueless enough to pay for six pages worth of story fragments crammed into 21 pages, with reckless disregard for, to paraphrase Twain, slovenliness of form?
>Feh.
>And people wonder why comics don’t sell.
fucking brutal

rsmwriter.blogspot.com/2016/06/jim-shooter-second-opinion.html

>Every comic could be someone's first" rule.
This was really good
Modern marvel fixs it a little with there recap pages though wish dc would do the same

>Every comic could be someone's first
It wasn't something Shooter came up with. It existed since a thirteen year old Shooter began writing. It was originally quoted by Stan Lee.

Lead by scotal fortitude, not by committee. Wasn't a corporate lapdog sitting out lousy marketing tie-ins. He couldn't exist now.

He's not wrong. Even ignoring the sentiment of "words = worth" that a lot of people hold, it's a pretty common feeling that the comics that come out from DC and Marvel don't really justify their price tag in terms of content.

>tfw Marvel sweeps the black CM under the rug these days to make Carol seem more progressive.
>It's almost certainly because they weren't confident enough to make a black woman "their Wonder Woman."

Monica didn't deserve this bullshit.

I know he's not wrong, he's fucking right, that is what makes this so satisfying

Enforcing deadlines and calling out decompression, when it hurt stories, are the big two things he did during his tenure.

Both of which are major problems today.

I can forgive decompression a bit since it can be done well. (especially when it lets the art breathe) It does blow when it's obviously the writer trying to stretch a shorter story.

But the core is that writers have gotten way to lazy. They should be handing in stuff WAY ahead of schedule based upon how decompressed modern books have become.

OP here. So from what I can gather, Jim Shooter was basically like the Steve Jobs of Marvel. Very harsh and strict but that harshness and strictness helped keep things in line so to speak and when he left the company suffered as a result.

What Shooter fans always neglect mentioning is that his harshness drove the best talent of the era away from Marvel. Unlike Jobs at Apple, Shooter made Marvel a worse company in terms of creativity and content.

>his harshness drove the best talent of the era away from Marvel
Bullshit, that talent was too used to lazy editors letting the prima donnas do whatever they wanted with the comics.

Monica doesn't deserve the bullshit of being propped up like that either. Look at how much they've ruined Carol in recent years, would you really prefer it happened to Monica instead?

>Marvel creators are making some of the best cape comics in history
>Shooter takes over
>Shooter implements tighter control, stricter rules
>Marvel creators responsible making some of the best cape comics in history leave the company
>Marvel on the whole produces worse comics
>company arguably never reached pre-Shooter days of quality since
>Sup Forums praises le based /ourguy/ forever

>some of the best cape comics in history
>implying anyone remembers 1970s Marvel

You really should just fuck off of Sup Forums forever

Still, it's a good rule to live by. I know tons of people who'll never touch even a single series because of the massive glut of years of issues, though that's mostly from the big heroes like Superman, Batman, so on.

If any issue could be a good jump-on issue, it's not so annoying.

>>It's almost certainly because they weren't confident enough to make a black woman "their Wonder Woman."

A black woman is Marvel's Wonder Woman. But it's not Monica and Marvel does not own the film rights to her.

When things go bad in a liberal system, there's a conservative backlash. When things go bad in a conservative system, there's a liberal backlash.
That's just how people are wired. Marvel definitely needs tighter editorial right now, but at the end of the day, most of the problems can be traced back the the writers themselves. Nobody would be asking for a more constitutive system if the writers and artists did their job correctly. But they don't, so it's either get people to reign them in, or clean house and find others who don't suck at their job.

>Rescinds the complaints in the next review because Brevoort whined at him.
kek

>When things go bad in a liberal system, there's a conservative backlash. When things go bad in a conservative system, there's a liberal backlash.

I'm still trying to reconcile this with the Republican President elect being butt buddies with a Communist Russian dictator.

Talent like Wolfman and Englehart, Roy Thomas and Gene Colan, guys who were already over the hill in terms of creative potential.

No, I'm just saying it's pretty retarded that they effectively buried her further to push "our better Wonder Woman."

Oh, I know. But when they want a Wonder Woman, they want it on their terms, and to have a similar feel instead of being a character on a team.

What are you basing this on?

I don't know, but when I look at him, I feel like I'm having sex with the 1970s in all their glory and sexiness. It's a wonderful feeling.

Secret Wars 2 was bad and dumb and the fan community was much more incensed by it than any crap modern consumers put up with from Bendis.

Yes.
Carol deserved better.

People forget that Storm was the most popular female hero for almost 2 decades. Wonder Woman was chump change compared to Storm.

Russia and China both hate us. It's better to get at least one of them on our side.

Bendis pls

Sean Howe's book mostly. Roy and Dann Thomas moved to DC during that period and did All-Star Squadron/JSoA stuff.

America's been fine without taking it in the ass from Russia or China for the last century

Fuck off, Sup Forums.

>Beyonder falls in love with Dazzler

Oh Jim. And people unironically get on Bendis for the waifu shit

>Gene Colan
God, he was so wasted at DD.

>bendisfag just read Shooter's review of USM

? I disparaged him in my post. I'll speak plainly - fuck Bendis, I hope his hands fall off and he never writes again.

I thought it was from the time those 2 faggots raped him at the YMCA

>Storm is literally Wonder Woman in the Amalgam universe

They tried to... until he rose.

I've never heard that before.

So? He still left the company in a worse shape by driving away his best.

>his best.
They didn't last much after leaving Marvel, to be frank.

>hates decompression
>hates bendispeak
>hates shitty fight choreography

Shooter would make Marvel comics good again. The trick is to replace him almost as soon as he fixes everything so the creators don't go insane.

>(ASIDE: I never liked John Romita’s approach to Spider-Man. I love John. He’s a Hall-of-Famer. All-time great. Grandmaster. And a great human being. But his theories of how to draw Spider-Man appalled me. I hated the fact that he simplified the costume. I’d hear him explaining to some young artist that one of the lines on the mask represented the bottom of Spider-Man’s nose and one his mouth. What?! Worse, he’d tell people not to worry about the physics of web-swinging. Just have the web-line go off panel, he’d tell them. It’s just a trumped-up device to justify “flying,” said he, think of it as pulling Spider-Man along.

Autism

(you)

>web-swinging
>just a trumped-up device to justify “flying,”
Autism, indeed.