If the film buffs of the world had to come together and agree upon who is pretty much objectively the best director...

If the film buffs of the world had to come together and agree upon who is pretty much objectively the best director, who would you vote for?

I'm not saying your favorite director, but the one you'd be okay with being considered the best .
It's gotta be either Kubrick or Kurosawa.

Other urls found in this thread:

theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_top250directors.htm
bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

scorsese

>Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Bergman, Welles, Chaplin, Kubrick, the list goes on! I'm such film buff!!!

The hallmarks of the tasteless and the uninitiated. It's okay if you're just getting into the medium, but there are some (even here, on a so called ''film'' board) that actually believe they are cultured or have a snippet of taste because they like these directors, when in actuality they are nothing more than embarrassing cringeworthy copy/paste babbies with no opinion on the medium they claim to love whatsoever.

For a cinephile like myself, it is truly disgusting to watch, and the main reason I, and many others, steer far away from this pit of despair and depravity. You are everything wrong with this board.

nice bait here have a (You)

Kubrick, nobody comes close.

I actually am OK with your choices, OP, although there could/will be considerable debate about this and still nothing like a consensus.

SHANE CARRUTH

I don't get how sterility is a criticism against Kubrick's films.

Griffith

Bresson, Bergman and Tarkovsky.

Mattew Barney

Kubrick.

He made film for the masses that still retained an artistic depth. That takes more talent than any artsy fartsy arthouse on a 5k budget dealing with the author's personal divorce. Kubrick posessed absolute mastery over the cinematic language across a wide variety of genres. He's the type that change the course of culture.

Bait? I dare say people who spam those pedo bot threads have more refined taste than the cretins in this thread. Kubrick as the be all end all of cinema? Sounds about right for Sup Forums, there is a reason why everybody laughs at this board. Posters just like you are that reason.

Why don't you go off and pretend you have taste because you like Tarkovsky or Lynch so those of us who actually like cinema can have a good fucking laugh at your adorable attempts.

It's Tarkovsky

So why haven't these magic energy beings taken over the universe yet of they're so powerful

Checkmate, Kubrick

Who is your favorite director user

Wong Kar Wai

the kill bill guy

Spielberg. Not trolling.

>Not trolling.
just retarded

I don't have a favorite director much like I don't have a favorite color. This is because I am not an infantilized video game enabling cultural terrorist. A big mac is a big mac. I don't like the big mac.

Okay this should fill your (you) quota for today

if this was a discussion about who has best captured that modern studio film feel/aesthetic/whatever, I'd agree with you.

Nice dodge fag

animation, but still

>tfw he dies before completing the Dream Machine

You must be fun at parties user

It’s pasta.

They already did the rankings.

theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_top250directors.htm

I like Orson Welles as much as the next guy, but what 8 movies did he make that are in the 1000 greatest of all time? Aside from Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil?

I also just don't think Hitchcock's filmography really compares with Kurosawa's if that's how you rank directors.

The Magnificent Ambersons is an all time great even with the studio hatchet job on the final cut

hint hint this is the 2001 ending

Andrei Tarkovsky would be my nomination.

Honestly to come to any sort of consensus one would have to choose categories. Some directions focus on story some on cinematography and some on the human experience and an audience connecting with a film and changing because of it. So Kubrik is an excellent story teller but someone like Malik grabs your soul and changes you. Then you have PTA who draws you into this immersive experience. Overall however Andrei Tarkovsky produces stunning visuals, draws you into a story, and changes you over the course of his films.

Sight and Sound do a critics list every year (or year or so)

bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time

Vertigo usually wins

>bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time
that list is fucking retarded. Fucking normies This is almost as bad as the imdb top 100

wow no shit

Brian De Palma

The Magnificent Ambersons
The Trial
Chimes at Midnight

a good director shouldn't have to lay it out so plainly

it's literally the most basic premise of transhumanism you stupid fuck

then why do people cum all over themselves over 2001?

sorry you're too stupid to understand

His Shakespeare adaptations.

>ctrl+f "Lean"
>0 results
Pathetic. It's either David Lean or Sergio Leone

The Trial is my favorite of his, great fucking movie

You ask a person their favourite director.

The person says "Stanley Kubrick."

Based on that, you can imagine p. much the entirety of the person's personality -- they're an obnoxious, pedantic, boring and smug. They think film is about technical accomplishment --attention to detail-- not the experience or the entertainment. They're terrible.

Objectively, the best director is Paul W.S. Anderson.

Powerful, visceral film-making at its finest.

I really don't understand Sup Forums sometimes. They hate Kubrick or even Tarantino for not being the GOAT director but then spend all their time discussing Star Wars 10 and capeshit.

>kubrick was convinced to go into film making after seeing how shitty other films were
based our guy

>kubrick was relentless and made people do things hundreds of times until his autism was sated
based /literallyus/ the director

literally my reasoning

Christopher Nolan is objectively the best director of the past 25 years.

OBJECTIVELY. Don't get your prissy little contrarian autistic panties in a twist.

Prove that he isn't.

@88791371
Try to make your bait less obvious next time, maybe someone will actually bite
It's actually quite simple, Sup Forums has shit taste

Half his filmography is kino, half his filmography is shit. To be the best director, your filmography must be at the very least 75% kino and the rest must be at least decent

Again, that is your opinion though.

Objectively - as in critically and commercially, he has produced no flops.

for the English speaking movie world it's definitely the Coens

Pretty sure it's pasta, lad. Definitely seen it before.

hmm They've directed some of my favourites since 1994 but I feel there's too many mediocre films on their roster.

>if it makes a lot of money that means it's good!
Deadpool raked in $783.1 million on a $58 million budget. By your definition, Deadpool is an "objectively good" movie

Where did I say that? I said critical AND commercial.

So if I film is received by critics well and does well at the box office IT IS objectively a good film. Critical and commercial success are pretty much the only two barometers we have to measure what is, of course, an inherently subjective art form.

How else can we objectively judge films?

they have a few cult classics but they are famously inconsistent, while a guy like Kubrick is impeccable from start to finish.

they're also way more prolific, which I don't think is a knock on them

especially since even their worst movies aren't actually bad

Deadpool currently sits at 84% critic approval, making it certified fresh. So it's both critically and financially successful and by your definition, "objectively" a good film. See that this is a flawed way to calculate the quality of art? A better way to judge a film would be by it's lasting impact on our culture

This guy is not wrong.
Lean is the only other director I would even consider to be on this list but my vote is with Stanley still.

Oh really?

There's a plethora of bad films that have had a lasting impact on our culture many times over. How would you even begin measure a film's cultural impact objectively?

Considering, there are so many different cultures out there.

Mean Girls is one of the most culturally impactful films of the last 15 years, but would you say it's a better film than something like Tree of Life?

what do I want in a film?
>film 1 : technical and detailed
>film 2 : dude just turn your brain off
gee, what do you want anons?

Touché. But I still think that judging a films worth by how many tickets it sells and how much critics (which are human and can, and often are, wrong) praise it is a poor substitute for a truly objective rating system

why do you care what this board or journalist think anyways? just like what you like, jeeeeebus christ

And how many friends do you have, and how badly do you smell of sweat and piss?