My 10 year old son wants to be an airline pilot, but that shit will probably be automated by the time he's 20

My 10 year old son wants to be an airline pilot, but that shit will probably be automated by the time he's 20.

Whatever career he gets into probably does not exist at present.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's already automated dumb fuck.

when I was ten I wanted to be a fighter pilot but in the end it never happened because no one pushed me to achieve

It's never going to be any more automated than it is now, and even if it ever gets fully automated, they will still have a pilot for safety.

when i was ten i wanted to stay inside and post on the internet all day

hahaha i did it

Tell him that go for it and don't take no for an answer. Get him a scenic ride in a small plane for his birthday. Surprise him. He will never forget. Right now degree is not necessary like Embry Riddle or University of North Dakota. The regionals are so hard up they are paying signing bonuses. There is a lot of positive transfer in early formative experiences to other fields that don't involve being in an airplane. But at the moment there is great demand. Use a light touch but steer him that way.

I decided at a young age to be a pilot (six) and never looked back, no regrets.

Carpe diem.

when I was ten I wanted to play doom all day but my parents only let me use the computer for 30mins a day.

>2016 doom comes out
>Live in parents basement
>play doom all day

this

doubtful that it will be allowed to fly without a pilot overseeing it in the near future anyway

your son can become a pilot

So it's not your fault?

Apripo pic to with above post.

I saw Top Gun 10 years ago, and I wanted to be a naval aviator ever since. Well, I commissioned in May, and I start flight school in November.

Achieving your dreams is always possible. I wouldn't have been able to do it without my parents help. Don't let your kid give up on his dreams.

well yeah it is my fault, I was just trying to tell OP that even if his kids future dream might be automated it's not reason not to support him

This.
A bunch of pilots from a now defunct company were supposed to be reconverted into train conductors.
They couldn't complete the training; they didn't understand why you had to pay attention to what was going on between two stations.

Oh and look up "Adopt-A-Pilot" programs to connect you and your son to a professional in the industry. Keep in mind that if he gets a service academy bug in his hat you need to make connections to your senator/congress critter no later than his freshman year in high school. Good luck we are all counting on you.

Pilot here.
It won't be 'fully automated' anytime soon. There is even major pushback on the civil drone issue. not to mention there would have to be decades of flawless reliability and safety history for the general public to trust pilotless air travel.

If anyone here is thinking about having a child within the next 5years and beyond, just know that you will be subjecting them to immense pain and suffering as civilization will begin to collapse in 30 years time. If you already have a child, i just wanted to say fuck you. honestly, how could you not see this shit coming and put your kid through that.

>Good luck we are all counting on you.

youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus

Dont worry, hes going to operate one of these

Be a fireman. It is awesome. I did volunteer firefighting a few years ago before I moved.

>My 10 year old son wants to be an airline pilot,

tell him to fly for the Army first

seriously it's just 6K a year less but you get rank and opportunity you don't get in the private sector

Living the dream.

They'll never automate it because if it crashes and a zillion people die they will blame the technology and negligence of the airline and not have a pilot to pin it on.

Wouldn't that be the airforce then?

Or is army the general term for armed forces?

Look into the Civil Air Patrol. It'll be a great influence on him and you can participate with him as well. The comeradradory within the aviation community is really good and he'll learn a lot about responsibly and helping others.

My brother flies in the patch, makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, and I've gone with him on some flights and seen the shit he does.
There is no fucking way an automatic system could handle it, there are so many weather variables and the landing strips are literally just teeny tiny strips carved out of the forest.

Piloting isn't just flying jumbo jets into orderly airports, there are LOTS of pilot jobs that nobody will ever be able to trust to a computer, because there are too many things that can go wrong unexpectedly.

That's also being removed as a career. Here in MA most firemen are volunteer teams who do drills on weekends to help their community. It's nice of them, but now no one is paid to be a fireman.

Don't worry, he can still become a stewardess

Sucking cocks will always be a job, don't worry.
You just have to charge for it instead of doing it for free to earn a living.

Living the american dream!! Same here, FeelsGood.JPG

I wanted to play vidya all day when i'd grow up and i got exactly what i wanted too.
Literally living the dream, this is so awesome.
The only issue is that France is about to collapse either into a civil war or the third-world, but i'm fit enough so i have a shot.

Maybe all that experience with the autism simulator could even make me a strategist and tactician against the shitskin hordes.

Save your pennies. Learning to fly is expensive. He will need to his Comercial, Instrument, and Multi-Engine ratings. There are schools that do this quickly for serious students. I had to get my instructor ratings so that people would pay me to teach them so that I could build flight experience and time. But this path may no longer be necessary in the civilian world. But then the old adage "You teach best what you most need to know" is true for the aviation world.

Appreciate the input, my faith is reborn.

Godspeed, based anons!

even though automation is le greatest maymay of the century, it will never become commonplace in society. We will always need a person there for backup. No vehicle will be *totally* automated. It is the same reason why there are still conductors in trains today. Computers inherently cannot make decisions and cannot process the countless number of variables that are involved with controlling a vehicle.

Someone already died riding in an automated car. I will never step foot in one because I trust my brain over a processor. Maybe you plebs lack brain power, so have fun in your rolling coffins. I'll be in my BMW

actually airlines are already mostly automated. autopilot can land planes and take off now, it has it's limitations but it can do a lot. Many times the pilots are just there updating information to the system and making sure nothing is going wrong.

That's not true at all. Firefighters are in desperate need in the Atlanta Metro area. They are even expanding there career scope into emergency medicine because there aren't enough of those workers either.
t. Firefighter.

And to you and yours.

>TFW you study medicine, which can never be automated and not even inmigrants can replace you

Yeah and wages are way lower in commercial than they were.

This. Discovery flights are extremely cheap, that shit will change his life.

It won't be automated away, but you should nonetheless be depressed because it's not a great career path

imagine going to college to get a liberal arts degree that left you able to fly really cool aircraft (and does let you do so recreationally, but you could train just for that for much less money.) then leaving to find you're still just better going to McDonalds than literally paying airlines to let you fly their planes so you can build up enough hours for them to want to hire you.

The absolute madman!

Tell him that making planes is fun as well.