I just realized how frightening modern warfare is

I just realized how frightening modern warfare is.

Ancient Warfare:
>march a bunch
>see enemy
>fight
>recover from wounds

It's pretty easy if you weren't on the frontlines and on the winning team. Also easy if you had a bunch of food or quality armor. Only downside is there wasn't real medicine so your only concern is bleeding out and infection. If your side had good numbers and a competent commander, you were bound to make it home alive. Today, none of that matters.

Modern Warfare:
>walk around, step on IED, lose limb or die without even seeing enemy
>walk around, get sniped, and die without even seeing enemy
>walk around, get hellfired from drone without even seeing enemy
>wake up, ready for combat, get suicide bombed or nuked

There's death at every corner. I'm not saying ancient warfare is easy mode but at least you could see the dang enemy before you died. If you were well prepared - strength, armor, food - you had good chances to make it out of there. Today people are still stepping on landmines set up 75 years ago by an enemy that doesn't even EXIST anymore. No amount of staph infection can top that.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lü_Bu
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's the dumbest, most uninformed post I've read all day.

If you think fighting kebabs is bad, just wait until WW3 where actual competent superpowers go up against each other. The carnage will be ungodly.

op is a fucking retard, it's harder to kill someone with a sword up close than it is to push a button or shoot a dot on the horizon.

Can't wait to bayonet your fat black heart pussy.

>be me
>adventurer, like you
>take an arrow to the knee

>It's pretty easy if you weren't on the frontlines and on the winning team.

You could kill somebody by chopping their arm off and let them bleed to death
death was only certain when your formation broke

Congratulations OP, this might be the dumbest post I've read on here today

Military is dog and pony.

We're no more prepared than the ancient Laecedemonian.

In fact quite the opposite is the case, because bullets can be usually non-lethal and we dont see the enemy face to face anymore, save on very rare occasions.

Killing is now pressing buttons, and it's not even the main goal of warfare anymore.

Nah that sword shit is easy mode. The combat load of a light infantry dude these days is heavy as fuck.

>>fight
>>recover from wounds

more like

>get wound cautherized
>die from infection anyway

>harder to kill someone with a sword
EXACTLY.

A fucking kid can kill you today with an RPG or weapon. Anyone can be an enemy combatant.

Back in the day, you only had to worry about men. All women and kids couldn't do shit (I'm sure you can find an exception but that's what it is - an exception to the rule). You weren't likely to see a peasant in disguise break out a sword and kill 20 of your men.

>Military is dog and pony
what did he mean by this?

>tfw posting like a retard all day to unlock that achivement
>tfw some strayan cunt gives it to a armchair burger gerneral

Just join the navy and work on a carrier. Probably the safest military service - unless some milfags have better suggestions like int.

Pretty sure it was way more scary to be that guy on the very front of the formation, knowning fully well that you'll be hacked to death by the ennemy and have absolutely no chance of survival whatseoever.

Way to completely miss the point leaf. Is your shitposting even voluntary anymore?

any NEET on Sup Forums can pick up a gun and kill someone

hardly any NEETS could properly use a sword to wound or kill someone

Well it always depend ...

>Great War
>Conscripted
>Shipped off to France to live in a muddy, damp trench
>Bombed periodically
>Mustard Gas
>Get various infections and/or lice from trench living conditions
>Sent over the top
>Tear your legs open in barbed wire
>Shredded to pieces by machine gun fire

>walk around, get a crossbow bolt in the ass, die and see that fucking peasant that shot you laugh at you
>walk around, get crushed by a rock and see the peasants that shot you laugh at you
>walk around, receive a dose of boiled water on you, die and see the peasants that poured it on you laugh at you
>walk around, die from black plague and see the peasants that threw infected bodies in you city laugh at you

Not sure it was better

Phalanx.

Let's take for example the average retard.

Modern Retard:
>hey guys watch this
>blows self up with grenade and injuries 2 others

Ancient Retard:
>hey guys watch this
>stabs self with sword

With Ancient, that's not even likely to happen. With Modern, a faulty gun or grenade or equipment can kill or maim you and others in one go.

Except you stepped on japanese rice ninja peasants

I'd beg to differ, there are plenty of examples of mudshits in the UK picking up something sharp and killing several people. In fact I'd argue that a gun is far more difficult to use to maximum killing potential against moving targets

>all these responses to the fucking leaf shitposter

Are leafs really that good at shitposting or is Sup Forums getting dumber?

Ah, the good old times.

That's not how it worked.

>recover from wounds
sepsis from a paper-like cut while cleaning your sword and zero curative medicaids, leading to Necrotising fasciitis, say otherwise, onan

>warfare "knowledge" limited to Hollyschlock and RTS's

no. modern warfare is some pussy ass shit

its barely even warfare

>Be farmer in the ancient times leasing your land from local nobility
>Little to no fighting skills
>Lord comes along and says "Hey peasant that bastard from over the river insulted my mother, get your spear and follow me.
>Cant refuse because of lease agreement.
>Join all other levied peasants from around the land
>Get shoved into pike lines while professional soldiers and the lord looks on and laugh.
>run away
>Lord hangs you for breaking your lease agreement

Nice times, nice times

Do yall think an arrow is the same thing as a bullet? It's not. It's slow as hell, and hitting someone depends on the archer's skill and the enemy's armor. Compare that to a 50 cal which will stop a fucking tank.

Alexander literally built a fucking bridge to an island that was firing arrows at him and his army the entire time.

The end result?

Alexander's wins.

Casualties
Alexander's army: 400
Persians: 8,000

Ancient warfare would be way more terrifying. I have been in modern combat, and while it's scary as hell it feels more like constantly finding cover and popping off a few random shots while only getting within 10 feet of the enemy if you're clearing a house. Yeah, IEDs were scary, but we never had to worry about drone strikes or airstrikes, maybe that's terrifying for the enemy, but not us good ol'mericans.

in ancient warfare, you are marching with thousands upon thousands of fellow soldiers directly towards another gigantic formation of soldiers, then you all charge and you're right in the middle of intense hand-to-hand combat, with swords clashing, blood and guts spilling all over the place, the screams of thousands of men dying while being crushed by horses and other people which can last for hours on end.

So really, how the fuck can you think modern warfare is scarier than ancient warfare?

>Ancient Warfare:
>recover from wounds

Pick one.

Almost every job that's not combat arms is obscenely safe. Among combat arms only Infantry, Cav Scout, tankers and the various helicopter pilots have the possibility of being chronically life threatening. Some "support" jobs like medics, forward observers, and EOD will also lose people from time to time as some of them will spend significant time attached to or embedded with the front line guys. There's another larger cluster of jobs that include things like drivers and artillery people who deal with large equipment in a combat setting that can be potentially dangerous.

However the vast majority of the jobs in the military are perfectly safe. The only injuries most people are likely to suffer are sports injuries associated with PT.

The entire point of crossbows is that their projectiles have excellent penetrative power over short distances and can be wielded in great quantities by relatively untrained peasants, shitty ancient world bows bear little resemblance

Oh shit calm down bro

Well, you could be one of the very, very, lucky ones.

>chilling in the trench break room
>suddenly a group of Krauts burst through an earth wall and you get a shovel to the face

Yeah, there is the small chance that you are one of the very few peasants that get their limb amputated before infection sets in.

Any wounds on the torso though is a wave goodbye.

Ancient war:
>fight enemy, receive a hit, die after weeks because that one hit
>get disease, die
>get sniped by some crossbow out of sight

Modern war:
>get bombed, lose limp, get lifetime free shit
>get shot, get lifetime free shit
>get in plane, bomb peasants, no risk whatsoever. Get free passage home in case your plane gets shot down.
>get surrounded, get free walk home
>get in tank or apc, get under small arms fire, kill every enemy while scrathing your balls.

Sure recent warfare faster and less forgiving, but those with proper training or experience can do almost anything. In ancient times your influence was close to 0 and wars could be decided by comparing numbers.

Historians are divided on how ancient warfare was fought, but one popular theory is that if you were on the front lines you were generally pushed into the enemies weapons by the people charging behind you, and eventually they were too. Over the course of a few minutes, the bodies would pile up, and people might start getting crushed against the dead flesh of their friends.

>be sitting around in the bunker comfy as British shells patter around you
>what you don't know is that yesterday the Australians finished planting their mines underneath your trench

when was the last time an exhausted American soldier had to wade his way through hundreds of gutted and gored dead bodies in order to fight another exhausted soldier in hand to hand combat? when was the last time a soldier got a fever from sepsis but continued to fight despite his body dying, because he had no knowledge of medicine and biology?

not all battles were easy ones.

I get your point tho, there's a separate psychological fear from the concept that you can be killed at any time immediately from any direction these days. but so few soldiers actually die from these things these days.

it'd be interesting if somebody was somehow able to study the effects that the ME has experienced tho, considering they die way more often because of shitty experience and equipment. not to mention drones.

personally tho, i'd say things used to be worse. esp when gunpowder first came around and bullets were just big hunks of metal vaguely shaped into a ball.

>training and experience weren't at least as relevant in ancient warfare

He means that actual battles matter less than crippling your opponents economy. If you enemy cannot feed their troops or keep them warm, or transport them, you win. Of you kill your enemies, they win.

modern warfare is all about drones and nukes dipshit

many wars have been won simply by cutting off supply lines to enemy troops. sieges were also fairly strategic in how they worked, since it took so long to take a fortified castle. (before artillery, mind you.)

more like
>trip and fall down during march
>skin your knee
>die from infection before even engaging with enemy

>If your side had good numbers and a competent commander, you were bound to make it home alive.
No, you had a good chance of dying of exposure, malnutrition or disease. At least in your examples of dying in modern warfare without seeing the enemy at least it's the enemy killing you instead of the weather or a plague running through the encampment.

>ancient warfare
Stab wounds had no antibiotics meaning if it is infected you need to amputate before it goes gangrene
Naval warfare you suffered from lack of nutrition meaning you and your crew literally starved to death on board a ship if it stays out at sea too long.
Land warfare you starved and had to fend for yourself. If the enemy doesnt kill you, wild animals or disease will kill you instead.
Off to war? dont expect to return for another bajillion years or till you drop.

At least as in the past they still dont treat veterans properly.

>Ancient Warfare
>recover from wounds

You really are a special Retard.

>wild animals killing a band of armed and physically whole men
this isn't australia dipshit

Ancient Warfare
>Die of disease on the march or freeze to death
Modern Warfare
>Get blown up

So where's the skilled ancient guy killing 500 soldiers alone in a couple months?

Even if they amputated your limb, you would have most certainly die.

>Drink water from river.
>Get dysentery.
>Die.
Our ancestors had shitty lives.

>Not being able to discern conventional warfare from counter insurgency
>Making the same mistake head honchos in Pentagon made when stage two of Iraq/Afganistan war was over
>Not realizing that US Army started working on a counter insurgency manual almost 5 years into both campaigns.

Bless your heart

>where are the skilled veterans flogging the shit out of hordes of light infantry and ill equipped peasantry
I don't know, just about everywhere you look?

What, with all the fat chicks? No thanks.

I mean 90% of your perception of it through movies and media is fake.

They're not as operator. Operations are not as Rambo-esque. Propaganda is more important than combat, for example...etc...

Did i mention there's a reason guns designed ROUND SHOT and GRAPESHOT its the theory that you don't kill the bastards but you fuck them up so badly so that your enemy wastes personnel and resources to teat them.

Then there's the fact ancient warfare used to INFECT their arrows with dirt so if the arrow doesnt kill you you die a slow horrible death from infections.

Those medieval trebuchets? they hurled dead cows to infect cities in sieges.

In the past their was no Geneva convention meaning sieges were zero sum winner takes all games - rape and pillage everything, fuck every hole that breathes fiestas - fighting was more vicious the stakes far more higher than anything modern warfare has.

At least in modern warfare nation states _try_ to limit their excesses in warfare.

You forgot forced marching, rationing to the point of starvation, the prospect of being brutally tortured if captured, seeing thousands of dead bodies in the aftermath, poorly trained and equipped knowing full well of the fact and various illnesses contactable from all of the above both physiologically and psychologically.

Are you fucking serious? Lay off the visual, nigger. I did two tours in Iraq, one in Afghanistan. It sucked but it was not as bad as it could be if it were ancient times. I got hit twice - armor saved me once, a fucking amazing doctor stitched me up the second time. We got a steady supply of nutritious food, water, and spare parts, even fucking magazines and video games. Sure, there's plenty of fucked up shit, but it really doesn't happen as much as people think.

t. chairforce field marshal

>spare parts
you know how I know you're a fucking liar?

>rats not eating your rations
>mosquitoes
>wild bears
>wild dogs
>not an issue
Sure thing shit cunt fucking wanna sip a fucking latte while you're at it?

>GRAPESHOT
Grape shot was mainly to fuck up sails on ships though and chain shot to fuck up masts nigh point blank range

>Then there's the fact ancient warfare used to INFECT their arrows with dirt so if the arrow doesnt kill you you die a slow horrible death from infections.
was poo actually

>Those medieval trebuchets? they hurled dead cows to infect cities in sieges.
they did that with catapults too, trebuchets have better range though and are able to fire with a higher arc

But no user, you are a clay pigeon being sent to a shooting gallery. I mean, that's what the media says right? Fuck your two tours in the actual sand box, they must know better than you.

.t OP

Gotchu senpai
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lü_Bu

>be ancient soldier left wounded and thirsting to death in the middle of a gory battlefield, trapped under dead bodies
>lie there waiting for the medevac chopper and reflecting on how at least you were born in ancient times, war in the future might really be hell

didn't realise you were counting vermin as wild animals
>bears
>wading into a formation of men with long sharp objects and armour
bears are pretty smart actually

>Sup Forums
>knowing history

pick one
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest

In fact, in the kind of warfare you've depicted, which is more anti terrorism or limited conflict warring, personal ability matters the most.

In modern total war scenarios you are correct, there is close to no control over when and how one dies.
True for civilians as well to a good extent.

kek

Actually we are getting closer to ancient warfare in the sense rules of war are being absolutely shat on and people in general are more driven by hate and xenophobia then before, which will mean more genocide.

ISIS is a window into the past of Islam and given their media exposure, this will in turn give rise to a equally nasty response.

Revenge and the cry for justice is on the lips of everyone (including me).

It wasn't the range that improved on catapults so much, it was the weight. Old style catapults couldn't really heft anything heavy enough to do massive damage to fortifications worth a damn

>grapeshot
I draw your attention to Waterloo
>Poo
Fucking Indians man

>A full suit of chain mail let alone a fucking suit of iron armor and a big ass broadsword and shield you have to swing around and run with is more than kevlar and ceramic body armor, kevlar helmet, 7 mags that weigh a maybe a pound each, an aluminum and plastic rifle, and maybe a backpack with some shit

OK - that was an exaggeration. We got -enough- spare parts that it wasn't a matter of sharpening sticks for weapons.
>Le no spare parts ever meme
It helps to know people who are actually capable of reading a 13r

Canister rounds were used in open battles. The American Civil war used a lot of canister rounds and were popular up until WW1 when it was realized that modern fortifications made canister shot useless.

>improvising weapons for the fear factor is not a thing

What's your issue with grapeshot exactly? It was effective. I can think of worse things, like for example our castles that would collect urine, shit and waste food, put it all in a pot with bog water and turn it into a boiling goo to throw over enemies at the gates of castles.

I'd rather be ripped apart by grapeshot than have a concoction of boiling piss and shit dumped over me.

Thanks.

>Crossbows are easy to wield
You have no idea.

A lot of soldiers in the past would have had very light loads, but heavy infantry then had surprisingly similar loads to modern soldiers. Ancient equipment wasn't as heavy as you might think (though still pretty heavy) and they didn't have to carry munitions for a sword, while modern soldiers have to carry around a lot of shit to be self sufficient and ready for combat, but it's also designed to be light.

At the end of the day there's only so much a healthy adult male can carry without crippling his marching and fighting capacity

>Be ancient warrior
>March out to kill enemy
>Lack knowledge of germ theory
>Catch "bloody flux"
>Never make it to battlefield
>Literally shit yourself to death.

...easier to wield effectively than an actually bow, which in most cases you need years of practice as opposed to a 20 min occupational health and safety class for the cross-bow.

It takes less time to train a peasant how to use a crossbow than it does a bow or musket.

During the first Crimean war our soldiers had dysentery very badly, they had to pull their trousers down on the battlefield whilst shooting at the enemy. There's a painting of soldiers doing this but I can't remember what it's called.

See that's why I envy the Scots, with their skirts. No need to pull anything down they can just walk around and shit/piss with no problem.

Lucky bastards.

Crossbows are wound with general aerobic fitness and generally not fired at extreme distances where you would need lots of technique to land hits. Good bowmen need a long time in training to even properly draw their weapon, and even then the strongest and fittest won't be able to fire THAT many times before being utterly pooped from the strain

>Comparing a general with a soldier.
>Picks some random Chinese general instead of Genghis Khan.

Soon you're going to tell that Stalin was the most skilled soldier in the 2nd ww.

Meh pick your poision

With boiling shit you could use tunnels use your shield that kinda thing - not ideal mind you considering you're lugging around in a tonne of armour and there's this hot shit heating up your amour

Grapeshot just blasts chunks off you or the shots cause splatter and bone shattering on impact not enough to blast a hole through you and just die but enough to cause bleeding wounds and infections. Treating you would basically be a waste of time.

Doesn't make them easy to wield. They still required immense strength to use.

Lot less than a war bow. The lower poundage ones were simple to reload as they had a stirrup like thing in the front that allowed you to put more force into cocking the crossbow. Larger ones had hand cranks to do so. Overall a lot less physical strain.

Peasants, unsurprisingly, are pretty strong from their field labour, although they would never have the very specific strength of a man trained in bowmanship

You ever swing a big heavy sword out of breath after charging up the hill at your enemy under the stress of fighting for your life with every swing hoping you don't just get your arm chopped of or stabbed in the back by someone else?

That's true.

Yeah, I don't see why modern would be any more or less scary than ancient warfare on an individual level. You're still risking everything.

On a societal level, yeah, it is more frightening because we can wipe out whole cities in a hurry with conventional weapons and we can wipe out civilization in about an hour with nukes.

But think about even the US Civil war where getting in the leg meant that the docs were just going to pull out a bone saw, and they might not have the anesthetics on hand to to knock your ass out.

I suppose, good thing we have more efficient weapons that do the job quicker today.

>big heavy sword
This meme needs to die. Most swords are less than 4 lbs and the larger ones were usually less than 6, including the big two handed ones.

This, instead of actually informing yourself you make lots of assumptions.

>get stabbed
>lay there in agony among fallen comrades sometimes for days
>die

>on patrol
>get shot in head/blown up
>die instantly

Hard choice