Is joining the military a bad idea?

Is joining the military a bad idea?

Hear me out. On one hand, I don't want to fight for Israel. On the other hand, I have seriously fucked up in life, and it's looking like joining the military might be my only option.

Which branch is the best to join/has the easiest time? I was thinking either air force or navy but I really have no idea.

I can't get a normal job, I flunked out of college with lots of debt, and I think my choices are either homeless bum or militaryfag.

What do Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ijvTiDnWJLE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

Does anyone here have experience in the military?

I need advice.

2 of my good friends went into the military because they didn't know where they wanted to go in life. Both of them have told me they deeply regretted it

Are you a piece of shit with no skills? Yes? Then you are perfect to be a uniformed whore

Join the airforce or marines. Anything else and you are shortchanging yourself.

Why did they regret it?

If you join and don't like it, can't you just drop out whenever you want?

>can't you just drop out whenever you want?
Ha ha ha
ha ha
ha

Isn't air force one of the most difficult to test into?

Not really studys have shown (i.e. depart of interior forbes etc) that mil service is actually beneficial compared to your peers even the vietnam guys are better off. You gotta keep in mind about 47% of the military comes from rural areas and the inner city i.e. the poor parts of america

please explain

Are you stuck there once you're in? How is that even legal? I don't know how this stuff works.

This. I just the USAF for four years ending up in hydraulics. I can't say I regretted it but, to be fair, I actually /wanted/ to join as opposed to having no choice.

I remember in BMT a lot of people who were there without a choice ended up being recycled, sometimes multiple times, or breaking down in the classes. Honestly, everyone has the chops to join. The thing that separates people from being a soldier and not is the desire to go. If you don't have that desire, I won't say don't do it, but I'll say it'll definitely hit you harder than it's supposed to.

I dont like beeing bossed around.
"CO i want to Go"
Go try it

>can't you drop out at whenever you want?

Nigger get the fuck off this website. Go Google this shit. Clearly you have done no research for yourself and want to be spoonfed.

When I joined army you couldn't have any debts or they wouldn't let you join.
You already sound like a piece of shit so I wouldn't recommend joining the military.

You can drop out anytime in basic training.

You can drop out of BMT if you do something nutty, like attempt suicide. Otherwise you'll just get recycled if you fail, which is pushing you back a week or two to get you up to schedule.

Once you're actually in there, though, that's it. Game over. You're in.

Also it's legal in the contract you sign, hue.

Coast Guard

You sign a contract to serve X years

Yes, you need a clean record and moderate intelligence but you get a higher standard of living.

Good luck, hue. Everyone wants Coast Guard. They're hella picky.

>If you join and don't like it, can't you just drop out whenever you want?

Be careful though, because if you join the USAF as anything other than a pilot or an engineer, you'll be doing little to nothing most of the time. (Not personal experience but best friend is air force)

Isn't this due to their desire to keep numbers low?

>you'll be doing little to nothing most of the time.

That sounds like a good thing though.

This, the fastest way out is to go loony, they don't want to be responsible for you. I speak from direct experience.

Fuck no its a 4 year contract atleast.

That's exactly it. Coast Guard doesn't require much and they're actually overmanned, supposedly.

Eh, it kinda depends on what base you end up in. I landed in a joint base in Japan and there was plenty of air traffic, which kept me busy for a chunk of time.

If this is the reason you'll join:
"You're not gonna make it".
-/ic/

SERVICE
GUARANTEES
CITIZENSHIP

youtu.be/ijvTiDnWJLE

It sounds like most of you are saying no.

So I would be better off homeless than in the military?

What if you run away? Just sneak out of the base or whatever and just run. Then you can become a homeless bum, which is what I was going to be anyway.

Is it really hard to run away? Will they catch you?

What kind of fucked situation are you in that it's either become the pride of our nation or a bum?

There's a middle ground, you know.

Deserter. Military prison. You'll probably die.

If you have only been in under six months, they can kick you out under Chapter 11, which is an entry level discharge and has no characterization. Flipping burgers at McDonalds will suit you fine.

If you are over six months, you will probably get out under chapter 13 or 14. Even if it's characterized as an Honorable Discharge, employers understand that you are a shit bag. You might as well be a criminal. Even McDonalds will not trust you with a spatula.

t. BCT XO

They incarcerate you for desertion.

>flunked out of college
>lots of student loan debt
>parents won't support me
>can't hold down a job or even find a job most of the time
>no money

No. That's why so many recommend against it. You are effectively property of the US gov if you join and you lose many of your natural rights because of that.

If you aren't going to a military academy and going to be career military, I would not recommend it

Let me guess. Drug use caused this?

Find a way senpai. My father made it out of homelessness by scrapping a job out of the docks, becoming a carpenter, and finally owning a house. It's a long road because of the fuckup you made, but it'll get you there.

Otherwise, why not plead with your parents? Did you do something so abhorrent they'd leave their kid for dead (proverbially speaking)?

>Which branch is the best to join/has the easiest time?
Chair Force. Not even a question. Basically hang out at the PX watching movies and playing vidya at the base.

fite me.

As much as I hate the stereotype, there's a ring of truth to it, though. Not a fan of it.

>That sounds like a good thing though.

Jesus christ, you are going to have a tough life. I wish you the best of luck

I feel like I'm getting mixed messages. Some are saying military is hell, others are saying air force is super easy and comfy. I don't know what to believe.

It's easy for people who want to get in. You won't get past BMT if you absolutely hate it and only got in out of no choice.

You do realize once you get in, they don't just ship you to your job and that's it, right? There's training.

Nigga just go to your state department and explain your situation. You can't escape student debt, but they might offer to help pay it or get it differed and then put your dumb ass through a jobs program

How hard is the training if you want to become, say, an air force electrician? And how long does training last?

>tfw made up my mind and im gonna try and join the royal navy
No idea what rating I wanna do yet but fuck I hope I get in

It can be, but it is going to be hell with your attitude

Someone needs to kick your ass and force you to grow up. Maybe you should go sleep on the streets for a few months to build some character

BMT is the same for everyone unless you're going one some shit like EOD.

I was a hydraulics and I was training with people who were electricians and whatnot. We all go through the same grinder.

Also eight weeks, I believe? It's been fuckin' ages so if someone wants to correct me here. I'm on my phone and opening new tabs makes it gag.

Va office with b missing limbs sound fun

I got in just before they ramped up asvab scores and shit.
They only accept minorities, women, and people with college credits at this point. And that's just to be E-2.

Coast Guard was the easiest 6 years of my life. Gotta get that GI bill yo.

If it's your only option, go for it. If I had to suggest which branch was "best" in your situation, I would unhesitatingly suggest the Air Force. They live pretty well, in comparison to the shit we had in the Corps. Air conditioning is far more common, as are women. They seem to treat it more like a job than we did (i.e., they seemed far less brainwashed out of boot).

No, you cannot drop out whenever you want. You will go to the brig/stockade/jail.

You might be able to bail and escape detection, but I'll tell you that when we weren't training or deployed, one of the make-work things I did as an infantryman was picking up apprehended deserters from the airport. There were a lot of them. Seriously, it was a weekly thing.

I don't envy you. I fuckin' have a deep loathing for water, go borderline ballistic in deep ones. People actually recommended Coast Guard to me but..

>Coast

Haha no.

Just join OP, if you're a massive pussy it will be hard. Seriously, Larry David was in the military (Old Jew who made Seinfeld), Clint Eastwood was in the military, Jimi Hendrix was in the military, all these random actresses and singers. They came out fine. It's not like the movies where you're going to be getting screamed at 24/7 and running around shooting guns and blowing stuff up while classical music plays. You'll probably be folding shirts and cutting grass. It depends on the branch though. Chair Force and Navy have the best oppertunities, most comfy. Navy is the best branch because it balances comfy with adventure, I just hope you can get used to being to close proximity with niggers on a metal tub.

Army is alright to, but more pointless bullshit like painting rocks and practicing suicide because you're stuck in a barracks in the south playing xbox and standing outside for 20 hours. Don't join Marines, we're in peace time, everybody says that. Even other Marines.

Just do it though. It's money in your pocket, you get programs that pay for college, you get technical skills and certifications, some job experience, and even if you're a fuck up retard you still get your dick sucked afterwards as an American hero for the rest of your life. It's a no brainer, and it's really not that bad. You will have fun, just put work into it and don't fuck up and it will treat you right, you get back what you put into it, and there are to many opportunities to count for classes and certs and training and travel and everything, especially for some small town Joe Shmoe like you or me.

Dont worry it could always be worse man. At least you aint chained to a desk somewhere making bombs lol

Can you describe what training is like? Is that the hardest part?

Obama just compared Putin to Saddam Hussein
i hope you like snow and hale

If you have had a fucked up life, then perhaps actually getting your fingers dirty will be the thing you need.

Be a marine, and everyone will respect you.

Just do it. The military is full of fuck ups like you. All you have to do is what you're told, you'll be fine.

As for the branch navy and chair force are the easiest. Don't go marines.

My dad was a navy man who joined out of high school and deeply appreciated his time that he served. So as I grew up I decided that I would do the same, but I did a bit of research.
I graduated high school, finished a 2 year degree in community college without dicking around, and then joined the Navy for a tour with a starting rank of E3.

I exited out with further college benefits, health benefits, a killer home loan, and money in the bank that I had saved. I also did NOT exit with strange fucked up diseases or deal with getting shot at. When you're on a boat, you're more or less safe as fuck because you're a part of a floating diplomatic force of implied threat.

Do NOT join the marines or army. Get on a boat and play it safe.

Air force can be pretty chill, research your job first though because some will make you hate your life. General rule is don't work with planes.

Dental lab here and I'm literally posting from work. Works basically 8-4 and we get long holidays and a bunch of morale events.

Is it really that common? I heard a story straight out of a contractor's mouth in BMT that some kid said he needed to use the bathroom and walked just straight out of the base to go to the airport and was caught immediately. Only story that circulated, though, so didn't imagine it common.

You're making the right decision. I've been running a little low on shekels and we could really use your help.

It depends on your job. Im actually less than 30 days from leaving for BMT. Im going for EOD and the training takes around 9 months, there are some jobs involve working with nuclear devices, the training takes around 2 fucking years

Go flip some burgers you pushy. Oh and you're welcome for my service

If you are an officer its great

Otherwise its shit i think

Am officer, feels good

>cant you just drop out whenever you want?

being homeless isnt so bad

Good fucking luck, man. The respect I have for the EOD cannot be measured by human means.

I never had a fear of oceans, but we had swim call about 200 miles off the coast of Panama. The water is so clear that you see it going down for what seems like forever, until it turns to pure blackness.

I swam for about 5 minutes then noped the fuck out of there.

i have an experience with the military

it depends, alot.
if you don't want to risk your life, most roles in the army are not life endangering.
if you are worried about food or money or a place to stay, the military is gonna take care of that.

few key things you should remember

>never admit you did something wrong, no matter who is affected. military courthouses usually fuck you ruthlessly
>if you are are going to the military, best thing you can do is be an officer of some sort. that way you will covered top to bottom far as expenses go.
>if you are going to the army forget about night outs and having fun on the weekends. you will still have time but not alot.
>bring enough things to entertain you throughout the service like books,games or whatever. doing nothing is not good mentally.
>carefully look at what the army offer you in terms of roles and what you can do with them in the future, some roles might look attractive at first because that's how the army markets them, always have a second opinion.
>supply drivers,support roles and airforce (almost all roles) are being rewarded well, at least here.

You can opt out of the first bill and have them pay your student debt if you're that concerned about it. The pay is actually REEEAL good if you think of all the different types of pay and free shit and tax free portions an E-4 with 4 years and a family is making ~65k a year

Good job. Cthulu doesn't need to claim more of our troops.

Listen to this guy. He's right on a lot of points.

Please tell me what the comfiest chair force jobs are. I was thinking maybe electrician but I don't know.

I don't want to be a pilot.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I'm just not super hyped about spending 9 months in FL. :^)

GI BILL*

>Join as a pilot.

Tip Keks

Must be nice having delusions of joining the USAF as a captain ...

I will never fight for a meme country.

You really shouldn't go into the military as a last resort. You sound like a deadbeat. The US doesn't need you in its military.

In my experience, it was pretty fucking common. A weekly thing, usually just one guy, but one time I had four at once in the van.

I guess it doesn't really add up to all that many guys over the course of a year, though.

I always felt pretty bad for them, to be honest. You hated being a Marine so much you ran away, and now you're going to the brig...run by Marines...

First of all, don't call it Chair Force until you're in. It bugs me a bit and it seems to bug many of my other friends too. You say that in BMT and you'll get your ass ripped apart.

You won't be a pilot even if you wanted to.

You pick from a list of jobs and hope for the best, desu senpai. I think the minimum is eight jobs. There is no maximum.

I know that there's a pest control job
It made me audibly laugh when i saw that, never expected that to warrant its own occupation

There's been a serious snake problem in the AF bases in Texas, I've heard.

On the other side of the coin, desertion can't really be tolerated in any manner. If you made it past training and academia, you had your window to try and bullshit your way out. After that, it's a responsibility.

I'll be honest, though, it's kinda nice to know there's sympathy in dragging them off for some reason.

That makes sense, I suppose a lot of bases in the south deal with that

Have you ever worked with your marine corps? I was on two tours with them and I think he'd fit in just fine desu.

Are they going to give me a hard time if I'm a tall skinny guy with barely any muscle

>can't hold down a job
and why would that be?

Yeah, that and scorpions. Those nasty fucks have a tendency to crawl into boots and gloves even in the comfort of your own home. So I can imagine they want people warding them off 'round the clock instead of having a bunch of soldiers get bit and poisoned.

Dunno about other bases though. Probably a safe bet you'd end up staying in the south if you picked up that job.

Yes, because that means you'll suck ass at the exercise that you do every single day at 6AM. They even tell you to work out before enlisting.

He'd provide comedy gold for everyone, at least, hue.

I am also interested in this.

If you're going to pay taxes for years and years then you might as well get some of those welfare bennies for yourself. They're paying for my dental school now, which will save me approximately 400k plus whatever interest I would have paid on that in the long run.

Intel probably is one job with the most chair time, not to mention mentally engaging and important, people's lives depend on your good work, same isn't true for a cook or a party planner.

Problem with Intel is the super long tech school, but beyond that it's rather nice.

That and intel needs a pristine record, which I can't help but feel like this kid doesn't have.

>He'd provide comedy gold for everyone, at least, hue.
Is it as bad as they make it look in movies like Full Metal Jacket? Will I get torn apart if I'm a socially awkward skinny guy?

If you're not very physically fit, you'll have a hard time, but you'll be able to make it from what I've heard. If you plan on joining, establish an work out schedule.

>Implying 90% of the Marine Corps isn't a joke already

>On one hand, I don't want to fight for Israel.

Then don't join the Israeli military.

What a stupid fucking meme.

One post is all you're getting from me. Fuck this thread.

You're also joining during peace time. Have fun sweeping for 4 years till your time is up

I can't tell you that because that's marines we're talking about.

Ask a marine about their training.

I honestly haven't met many marines and I'd rather not risk the possible muscleheads come at me with spit-entangled shouting. So I'll skip criticizing them.

I'll talk shit all night long about the Army, though.

go navy rigger. or sea bees heavy equiptment operator. red horse in air force good too. I was army engineer was kinda dangerous but worked out well. learn a skill like rigging or bulldozing you can always find work when you get out. can work part time and get paid to go to college. gi bill sends you checks every month while enrolled.

The marines is where they send people they don't think can make it anywhere else. A USMC Range warden explained on my second tour they take pretty much anybody and whip them into soldiers. There's a reason their known as meat shields overseas ...