Is it really THAT bad?

Is it really THAT bad?

I love the first GitS and GitS:Innocence, but I'm not expecting this to be anywhere near in quality. I just want another cyberpunk style film to get lost in. Will I be disappointed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gvxNaSIB_WI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's dog shit. just scenes recreated badly with no understanding of what made them good.

It epitomises everything about the phrase "sold out" when it comes to hollywood. No thought or care given to the source material, only what market testing says would make more money. That's why ScarJo is in it at all.

it's a giant tech demo

Too bad... well are there other films with that neon soaked cyberpunk setting? I've seen quite a few animes with that setting, but cyberpunk films mostly had a dark, bland look, like Matrix (which i really don't like).

What is Bladerunner 2049.

I enjoyed it a lot as a fan of SAC.

I don't know what people expect. No shit it's not perfect. This is the best AAA GitS adaptation that could have been made.

>implying I haven't already seen it, watching it for a second time on sunday, and haven't seen the original at least 5 times now

GitS is a solid movie but its nowhere near the kino levels of BR2049

Yes. The story is bad and the visuals aren't as immersive.

Nah it's kino.

For how pretty it is it is equally as shallow plot and character development wise

good visuals
garbage everything else

SAC is crap and so is your opinion.

It's bad...BUT !!! Maybe it's not a consolation, but when compared to this other Anime adaptation...All things considered...GITS is not that bad..
youtube.com/watch?v=gvxNaSIB_WI

It was decent and scarjo was hot af in this. Distractingly so.

I unironically enjoyed how they remixed all those plot threads from both films and the SAC arc. much more fun than a lame shot for shot remake.

It's a pleb filter
The children of Sup Forums will neve understand it much like the Oldboy remake

James Cameron's Alita: Battle Angel comes out next year. Until then try to get your hands on the Japanese Cut of Johnny Mnemonic. The American version is butchered.

it's exceptionally bad, on multiple layers

>all scarjo had to do was not act at all and be her bland self
>overacts being a robot by walking like mary katherine gallagher
>copy and past aspects of the movie, but change them for the worst instead of just doing a direct 1:1 story
>hired scarjo, or any woman for that matter, when they could have hired keanu reeves, shaved him and give him a wig.

this movie should have been what the new bladerunner was.

It's ok.

i thought it was good

scarjo was the least shitty part about it

Damn man, a lot of mixed messages in here. gtta check it out for myself then...

Nice, didn't knew Cameron is doing Battle Angel. Gotta check out Johnny Mnemonic then. Can I find it easily?

Holy shoop, Batman. If only she was that THICC in the film.

>James Cameron's Alita
Its robert rodriguez now though

If you have the time, it's worth a watch for some of the visuals and designs. The actual movie is hot trash though.

Visually it was great. Weta did a bangup job with costumes and props. Plot wise it was a watered down version of every single major story from all of GitS media and I think that's what ruined it the most from me. Especially the part with Major meeting her mother.

boring af

>dat spoiler
wait...wut?

it's pretty and shines when its just a direct adaptation of the first movie (the fight on the water). The rewritten plot sucks and isn't thought provoking at all.

not a spoiler, literally a heavily used promotional item.

Yep. It's been a while but it went something like Major has a flashback to some apartment building. She finds the building,
remembers the number on a door. Cat runs to her outside from the apartment because it knows her, older Japanese woman chases to get the cat. Invites Major in and talks about how she's still grieving the loss of her daughter. Major is having vague feelings of knowing the bedroom she walks into. Fast forward towards end and Kuze talks about some accident that happened to her when she was still Asian and some kind of political protester. Then government showed up and harvested her brain to put into the new cyberbodies to justify the whitewashing. She goes back later to her mother and they are both standing over the grave that was placed for her. Her mother tells her what her real name is.

just....I guess I really don't want to watch it now...

The visuals in Blade Runner 2 are literally no better or worse than GotS. They are exactly the same level of quality. Neither movie is above the other in terms of visuals. This is a fact.

As an artfag, it was worth watching just for the eye candy. If that sort of thing interests you then give it a watch. But just don't pay attention to the lame story. There are some things about the story that I liked, but 85% of it was just a let down.

Watch it with the Japanese audio. You'll forgive some script shortcomings.

Form your own opinion, OP. Obviously you have some interest in seeing it. So give it a go. If you don't like it you can always turn it off and then hurry back here to call me a faggot. I liked it. But you should decide for yourself.

The biggest letdown for me was the casting of the actor playing Bato. I was like why?

Stylistically GiTS was better because at least it had colors in it instead of eternal grey

I loved it.

Though, she's my waifu and I love everything she does, so I'm not impartial.

>Is it really THAT bad?
Yes

Wetas work was so fucking wasted on a shitty movie like this.

well my dick is watching it tonight

You know, now that I think about it the Geisha scene looked better than anything in Blade Runner 2.

WHAT?!? OH GOD ITS TRUE! FUCK THIS LIFE.

>The visuals in Blade Runner 2 are literally no better or worse than GotS
2049 looked better. What do you mean by visuals ? cinematography ? special effects ?...Either way, Blade Runner looked better. (GITS also looked great though)

>Visually it was great.
No. It had some decent effects. Visually the movie is abject trash.
I mean even things as simple as the blocking in literally every scene is just wrong.

I mean Blade Runner 2 is absolutely nothing special in the visuals like everone is making it out to be. Its functional. Its decent. It's average for 2017.

The original Blade Runner had practical sets and the film like sheen of being shot on film.

Blade Runner 2 had digital effects and was shot on digital and it looked like it. On top of that everything had this ever present fog in the outdoor areas that was not present in the original. Blade Runner too lacks the film like sheen of the original. Everthing looks digital on top of being fogged out.

Even the hooker scene looked all wrong with WAY too much lighting and literally zero visual cues to set the mood. It was just there.

hideo kojima loved it

>The original Blade Runner had practical sets and the film like sheen of being shot on film.

It isn’t THAT bad flick DESU. The maker’s side should’ve set the whole production that works favor for them since they somehow decided to take on the material that supposedly takes place somewhere in Asian region.

Great soundtrack

What are you chuckl8ng about? Pleb.

Yes, film has a specific look to it that digital has been tunable to reproduce until recently and Blade Runner 2 didnt do anyway. Blade Runner 2 LOOKS like it was shot on digital. Which is not a compliment.

At this point just go (re)read Neuromancer

Except this is fucking wrong. There have been numerous tests that show that when graded the same way, film and Arri Alexa are indistinguishable from each other.

Good god stop being such a fucking pleb.

Most of those "tests" involved stills. NOT pictures. There's a reason Nolan still insists on only shooting on film. Besides I qualified my statement with "until recently".

The best in the digital business are Fincher and Ridley Scott. They can pull it off. But its clear that Villeneuve is not in the same league.

>NOT pictures

NOT moving pictures

its not THAT bad but after blade runner 2049 its basicly nothing but a joke of a movie.

>There's a reason Nolan still insists on only shooting on film
because he's a massive faggot

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breathes out* HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAHAHH....holy shit this level plebness

I GUARANTEE you Blade Runner 2 will not be winning any Oscars for any of its visuals. Count on it.

Yes they cant even light a scene

as long as you don't care about the plot or the characters or the dialogue you'll be fine

>Oscars
just end yourself, my brah. at least look for a new hobby

They cant even fucking light a scene no idea behind what makes something visually pleasing look

Villenueve said he could count on one hand how many times he saw a green screen. They built everything but just had more space. Even the LAPD buildings and the apartments opposite K, driveable spinners

The original was filmed in one backlot so it has that cluttered feel.

that's what happens when the creator of GITS says don't redo mine make it your own.

Im so sorry for you, dog. Because you will never experience this movie on IMAX theater.

From start to finish its a visual espectacle and doesn't pretend to be that 2DEEP4U philosophical debate, you can argue that the original GiTS elements are watered down, but the movie isn't dishonest to you, this it's just a turbocharged stylish action film and a vision of a forbidden future with great pace and flow of all it elements, damn I would even compare it to Terminator 2 if you ask me, in terms of execution and feelings that gave to you through the run, in fact if you are a fucking asperger edgy type, you would feel nothing when watching this, instead if you can truly value the importance of companionship, belonging, compassion and overall kindess of the human life experiences you would appreciate some themes presented here. If not then just watch it for visuals, but dont argue that is shit like the average /redditv/ viewer.

I cannot understand why anyone would think this was a bad arch. it gave her a fucking purpouse and identity.

FUCK everything I love this movie and cannot compare it to BR 2049,wich was great too.

your not going to blame this one on him it's made by spic Rodriguez

nice collection of (you)'s you have there. it's a fine stand alone movie, it was pretty true to the visual style of the original with the obvious exception of some casting and a few scenes. story was dumbed down quite a bit but it was streamlined enough so normie audience could easily digest it. if you are a fan of gits it's worth watching for a few scenes/scenery.

Ghost in the Shell looks good, you guys are autistic.

it's a failed attempt at a fanservice cashgrab, taking all the cool scenes from the cartoons and throwing them in without context, and completely fucking up the story and tone

watch it for the visuals if you want, but it's even worse than the netflix death note