How do I become a Storyboarder without going to artschool....?

How do I become a Storyboarder without going to artschool....?

I don't live in commiefornia and fairly conservative.Also, im not a woman nor do I have a large following on tumblr. Do this hurt my chances?

just animate the whole thing yourself you cowardly offense to god

I'd rather just work on someone else's idea

You'd hate working as a board artist.

>treated better than actual animators
>have more influence on the show's direction
>get paid more
>workload is easy and not as stressful
Other than work place politics, am I missing something here

Well, are you good at art?

You're on Sup Forums, go figure

If you do good work you can probably get a job somewhere. You're just less likely to when you have no following, no industry connections, and don't even live where the industry is.

So no? I don't know, man, that's like asking if Sup Forums is good at designing video games because they play a lot of em.

Im alright but you don't have to be a good artist to be a storyboarder from what I can tell

I dont know who that retard is, but he's not me.
see

Do you know how to properly frame shots for filming? And you gotta be good enough to convey on the board what you're going for. If people can't tell what you're drawing is a truck in or a pan shot, you're a shit board artist.

Be good at drawing all of the things quickly to a reasonable level of detail.

You're going to need good perspective and figure drawing knowledge, and a solid grasp of composition.

You should pick up From Word To Image and Framed Ink, then move on to Figure Drawing For All It's Worth and Drawing the Head And Hands by Andrew Loomis, Perspective Made Easy by Norling, How To Draw by Scott Robertson, Scott Robertson's Gnomon DVDs and Krenz Cushart's Gumroad tutorials on drawing things based on subdivisions of cubes in perspective.

Ive studied paneling a bit and how storyboarders of big blockbuster films set up frames when planning scenes if that means anything.

>workload is easy and not as stressful

You have never met an actual board artist. They have to draw thousands and thousands of pictures, and extremely quickly too. You think it's just "here's a script, draw the boards before next month and you're done"? Fuck no. There's revision after revision after revision. If you can't work in a fast paced and stressful environment, do not become a board artist.

it's bascially impossible for anyone thats not an sjw these days

I follow alot of them on twitter and they don't sound stressed out at all most of the time. Their workloads seem pretty moderate and the hours are your typical 9-5. Although a lot of work every now and then isn't a big deal.

Sup Forums please go and stay go

You could probably do some freelance storyboarding work but you pretty much need to live in the animation making locations to get a stable job

not even Sup Forums someone who worked as a storyboarder told me about his experience in these places

Can you work with a team of others and do what your director asks? Can you draw 200 panels a day? Because if you can't you will be fired.

Go to artschool
Build a portfolio
Send it in to studios that are hiring
Get ready to story board shitty animated commercials and other such garbage

>commiefornia

If your fairly conservative, you will rarely find work, and this was before the election.

I knew a few who were in LA who kept it to themselves who said it's super liberal and practically a cult mentality there, but also if you ever say something that can be used against you, any of your "friends" there will grab the opportunity to move up and leave everyone in their dust while they get the better jobs in the industry.

It's sickening, and one why I decided to never move there and just freelance back in my hone in the midwest.

Im not spending 50 grand at some overated artschool lmfao

Are you at least good at art and have a good portfolio ready?

> Sup Forums, I don't have any experience or anything that would qualify me for this job, and on top of that I'm not a good fit for the social enviroment of the industry.

I can't tell if troll or stupid.

>but also if you ever say something that can be used against you, any of your "friends" there will grab the opportunity to move up and leave everyone in their dust while they get the better jobs in the industry.

That's 99% of any business that's even remotely competitive.

Details?

>WAAAAH WHY CANT I GET A JOB WITHOUT HAVING ANY EXPERIENCE OF QUALIFICATIONS IN THE FIELD I WANT TO GET A JOB IN
>WAAAAH WHY DO I HAVE TO CONTROL MYSELF AND KEEP MY OPINIONS TO MYSELF LIKE EVERY OTHER JOB THAT INVOLVES WORKING WITH PEOPLE

If you're whining about it now, you were never fit for the job in the first place.

Yeah but 10x worse.

Good man. Almost everyone I knew who went to school for animation/storyboarding rarely found work, and when they did it was just for places for like Rooster Teeth for like a show's season.

Just stick to doing it for freelance and have a regular fulltime job on the side. It's manageable and save more money by doing more work and not living in fucking LA

Okay, ill take your bait only to let my testimony stand as an example for any other retard who actually buys your garbage.

First of all, I only asked how to get said job without wasting money at a artschool, I did not say I had no skills or "anything".

Secondly, its no secret that the animation industry is over saturated, Im fully aware of this. However, because of this over saturation, degrees are absolutely fucking WORTHELSS!. Every yuppie has one. Professionals that work within the industry today don't even have them. All they have is a fucking HS diploma and a decent portfolio and ahem, nepotism. Everyone knows all the animators at the major studios get all their buddies hired whether they have the qualifications or not which they usually don't.

Now kiss the head of my dick and get the hell out of my thread. You are dismissed.

Life is tough. Deal with it. Keep your politics to yourself.

>I did not say I had no skills or "anything".

You said it right here you fucking faggot

>Well, are you good at art?
>Im alright

Being "alright" is not any sort of qualification. Being "alright" means you're worse than most of the people applying for your position. There a shitload of artists, you are not going to get hired if you are "alright", because you are competing with thousands of other people who are "good" and not just "alright".

I consider myself decent at best...
I drew this in like 20 min
its Marceline eating out Princess Bubblegums ass.

>First of all, I only asked how to get said job without wasting money at a artschool, I did not say I had no skills or "anything".

And you didn't feel the need to mention said skills in the OP because...?

> Everyone knows all the animators at the major studios get all their buddies hired whether they have the qualifications or not which they usually don't.

Surprise, college is as much about networking as it is about learning.

> my thread

ha ha ha

They do, but man the rest sure don't.

> that took you 20mon
> two characters, no background, and perspective is seriously off

just become a webcomic artists or whatever.

I took breaks in between. That is not an accurate guage of my true power.

Don't make excuses and showing examples of you not at your best.

Try harder next time.

>I consider myself decent at best...

Then why the fuck are you asking if you can get a job in art? The answer is no.

I don't make excuses, little man.

> I'll try to prove you wrong with a poor example of my art

Knowing how to put together a portfolio is really important, man.

You dont have to go to art school. Just self teach yourself animation and show them what you got.

If Pendleton Ward can get a job and is a much worse artist, then I am certainly over qualified.
Try feeding your slop to some other porker.

Is this seriously how you're gonna reply to criticism? Getting defensive like a little bitch and insult people?
You may be the least qualified person to be a storyboarder in all of Sup Forums, and maybe even all of Sup Forums.

>Pendleton Ward

He does several other things and he started from the bottom, building connections along the way.

>telling it like it is means getting "defensive"
???

Just imagine this dude at work.

> Director tells him that revisions are needed
> "No, it's fine the way it is! Why aren't you telling the other storyboarders to revise theirs?!"

>calling people on the internet "little man"
>not getting defensive
You're adorable.
If this is your idea of 'telling it like it is' then forget storyboarding, I'd be surprised if you could hold on to a moping job at CostCo.

That's quite an entertaining scenario you dreamed up, but Im not a toddler and I know how to work with others. Come now, surely you are better than this to attack my character when I have done nothing wrong.

He made a short that got incredibly popular.

You have not done shit. You are not entitled to a job in a highly competitive field just because you want it.

You sound really insecure anonymous.
Just saying.
Only someone with a short fuse would get so upset over being affectionately called "little man". I can't imagine how you play with others in the workplace assuming you even have a job.

Fair enough, he made something that a bunch of kids liked. His skill is still very subpar, and my point was if that is the industry standard then I have what it takes as well.

>That's quite an entertaining scenario you dreamed up, but Im not a toddler and I know how to work with others.

Which is why you mentioned your political leanings in the first post?

Ok let's try babby steps: let us genuinely see your portfolio, as in the art you'd try to get a job with. A representation of you at your best level. Then we'll see how hard it'd be for you to get a job in the industry. (And btw if you think Pendleton Ward can't draw and that AT looks like that because he couldn't do any better you're gonna have a lot to learn)

It was mentioned because I know how aggressive liberals are towards people that do not share their beliefs.

I personally have no qualms with other people's political ideologies as long as they aren't assholes. Im friends with people from all walks of life. But, based on the current political climate and since California is very left leaning I think it is a completely valid point to bring that up.

fucking marxist

that's because they're better than you

>let us genuinely see your portfolio
Im working on it
>(And btw if you think Pendleton Ward can't draw and that AT looks like that because he couldn't do any better you're gonna have a lot to learn)
Am I missing something? Are you trying to tell me that Pen Ward has been hiding his power level this whole time and can actually draw much better than he does? I find that awfully hard to believe since Ive seen most of his work.

>I think it is a completely valid point to bring that up
It really isn't

Then you... don't bring it up at all? No one is forcing you to socialize with people at work beyond basic politeness in order to get the job done. Hell, you can have a separate FB/social media account exclusively for work and keep it as neutral as humanly possible.

Networking implies swallowing a lot of shit either way (and playing a lot of lip service) so if you actually, honestly did, you wouldn't have brought it up.

>conservatives in California are actually afraid of speaking their mind due to fear of intense backlash from the left
>"it totally doesn't matter!"

18 year old semi beginner here. I Want To Be Great At Drawing For fun. I started reading this book to train myself. How many hours a day should I practice? What modern Sup Forums artists would you say are great?

> I should be able to have political arguments at work

Dude, don't. As they say "no politics, no religion, no football during dinner".

>What modern Sup Forums artists would you say are great?

First thing: Draw from life, not from other artists. Drawing from life will help you understand the basics and be able to "warp" things for style rather than be left with someone else's mistake.

When you skip this you end with artists that have great style/coloring but anatomical mistakes that make you want to claw your eyes out.

Yeah but having to live in that type of environment 24/7 in general doesn't make working in the industry worth it.

A job will never bring you true happiness, no matter what it is, passion, income, or otherwise.

>inb4 having enough money can bring you happiness.

Yes but it still applies. I'm not making enough as my parents have or my other friends but I'm making enough to support my wife and kids.

Then why even apply at the first place? You KNOW it doesn't fit with your lifestyle, but you're being obtuse about it.

It'd be like a vegan working as butcher. Sure you can, but why?

user, Adventure Time is a competently made show. I've never particularly cared for it, and it's easy to see that it's gone to shit a long time ago, but the animation style and aesthetic of the show are well done. If you can't appreciate that and think he's subpar, then your ability to analyze animation critically has never developed beyond separating cartoons into 'things I like" and "worthless shit", which will certainly prevent you from making it very far in the industry.

FYI, that fellow Is not I, OP.

I wanted to at first,but being around those people and meeting my wife changed my perspective.

Now I just do freelancing on the side and a webcomic for fun.

>(And btw if you think Pendleton Ward can't draw and that AT looks like that because he couldn't do any better you're gonna have a lot to learn)

Plenty of cartoons are actually like that though. Matt Groening can't draw, and neither can Seth Macfarlane.

Bait-O-Meter: 7 out of 10

The low-key presentation and the appeal for empathy/sympathy are good craftsmanship. The silly, blatant "commmiefornia" thing cost you points, tho. You were doing great up until then, so you just need to learn a little more restraint. Keep working at it!

>le epik baiting meme
That's great, thanks for the bump I guess.
You can go now.