Say something nice about season TWENTY FOUR of The Simpsons!

Say something nice about season TWENTY FOUR of The Simpsons!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1prZMkQKCPs&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Which one was that?

Is that the one where Homer found out he had a diaper fetish?

The one that came after the twenty third season

actually it was awful

So how long until the Simpsons die?

at LEAST forever

I enjoyed every episode of it that aired on free to air tv in my country.

I dunno but that sure was the episode I did

IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

YOU'LL NEVER STOP THE SIMPSONS
HAVE NO FEARS, WE'VE GOT STORIES FOR YEARS

jeez, it's shit right at the first episode

The fact that the show is now on its 24th season only further reinforces the perception that The Simpsons is an American institution. There's a whole generation that's grown up never knowing a world where The Simpsons wasn't a cultural tour-de-force. I'm sure there's some way to put a positive spin on that notion. I guess there's always this thought:

Sup Forums knows that The Simpsons hasn't been good in a long time- it's actually reached the point where the number of bad seasons outnumber the good ones, and I guess that's unfortunate in its way.

But in becoming just another cookie-cutter piece of bland, flavorless garbage, The Simpsons has become the kind of unassailable mainstay it was originally created to satirize. It was once considered a subversive piece of counter-culture, and is now decidedly part of the establishment.

Knowing this, it may be that the omnipresent blandness of the modern Simpsons galvanizes the next generation of creatives and gives rise to the next "big thing", just the way the original writers for The Simpsons were inspired. Coming full-circle that way would make a fitting end of the show, I think, at least in spirit.

Al Jean has vaguely spoken of going to 30 seasons which is when the voice actors' current contracts expire. It's not like they're getting any younger either, Harry Shearer said a few years ago "The show's going to have to end sooner or later. I'm 69, I can't keep doing this another 15 years."

>season with those Mary Spuckler episodes

Into the trash it goes.

Simpsons hasn't been a "cultural tour de force" for almost 20 years. It's just... there.

>The fact that the show is now on its 24th season

its currently on season 27 or 28 i believe

We are currently on the 28th season.
That's roughly 2 more years, I'm really interested on what Al Jean is going to do after the Simpson ends.

I'm not watching it.

Were Simpsons ever original or were they really just a bit funnier before they ran out of jokes? As a whole, they were always but another sitcom, weren't they?

A standard-issue family, workplace with crazy boss, school with teachers of questionable moral and intellectual capacity.

Nice copypaste

>Meanwhile, Bart and his friends spy on Lisa.

What were even good modern Simpsons episodes besides Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts, The Yellow Badge of Cowardge and Halloween of Horror?

You gotta think back to the world of television of the 80s. You only had three channels and family sitcoms dominated them. Imagine every channel you have on your TV playing terrible Cosby Show clones 24/7, that's mostly what it was like.

The Simpsons took that and turned it completely over its head. The family was a mess, the police force was corrupt, the school was indifferent to its students' futures, the mayor's a shameless womaniser, and so on. That was pretty original TV material back in the day.

Adventures in Baby-Getting sounded like an interesting idea, but in practice the execution completely failed.

at least they tried

I liked the magician one, even though it had the double handicap of being guest star heavy and being a Lisa episode.

I mean, that was edgy stuff for the early 90s. You have to understand that network TV up to the 80s had evolved very, very little since the formative years in the 50s. There had been occasional bursts of social commentary, especially in the 70s, but for the most part, it was all the same staid, boring programming. In fact during the Reagan years a lot of TV personalities from the 50s like Lucille Ball, Dick Clark, Don Herbert, and others were still actively doing shows.

Fox were able to do these risky, edgy shows like the Simpsons and Married With Children because they were a little upstart network without much of an established audience. The Big Three weren't gonna do it, because they represented the same, staid, boring, conservative TV establishment. Fox thus took a bold move by pitching themselves as the counterculture network aimed at snarky Gen Xer college students.

>until her dreams consist of having a fourth child

Christ lady, Maggy isn't even a year old yet. It's not a clown car.

iaf Shearer is much older than the rest of the cast, Yeardley Smith and Hank Azaria are only 51 or something.

Take your mind out of the gutter.

24 is a highly composite number

This is true. Harry Shearer was already a pretty big star when he joined the cast, I imagine they must have been rather awed to have him aboard and thought he gave the show a higher level of prestige. Of course he turned out to be the king of all douchebags and made them do a godawful Spinal Tap crossover to plug his shitty VHS.

Holidays of Futures Past was good. They should have ended the series with it like they intended.

Probably sit on the massive pile of money he has? Nobody needs to do a god damn thing after the Simpson's. They're all rich as hell. Actors and producers who do shows that last a 5th as long as the Simpson's are generally set for life. Nobody with any tenure on the show is poor.

Had some pretty lousy ones, but the TOH of that year was strong.

No it wasn't.

Yeah it was. It wasn't the funniest episode but it had a lot of the old Simpson's heart. It would have been a nice cap off.

the thing that kind of surprises me about the future episodes is the revelation that Lisa has apparently slept with half of Springfield

I hate the kids. And the spouses.

And why do they repeat the same stale jokes from Lisa's Wedding?

This guy made funny videos about it.
youtube.com/watch?v=1prZMkQKCPs&t

Stop shilling your videos, Joe.

Lisa's begging for a cream pie there, you can tell.

The Day The Earth Stood Cool and The Saga of Carl are good, as is the THOH segment The Greatest Story Ever Holed. I barely remember the rest.

Hearing how weak Shearer and Kavners voices have become is a terrible thing.

It's not as if they actually try anymore.

Kavner, yeah. Shearer sounds the same, though.

He has some difficulty with the higher pitched characters like Lenny now, but then again so did Mel Blanc in his 70s (Who Framed Roger Rabbit used a lot of pitch shifting on Bugs and some other characters because his voice had dropped into the cellar by that time).

Kavner though has been garbage for years and years by now.

I refuse to watch it so I have nothing to complain about.

I want to RAPE Lisa!

Depending on who you ask, that's 14-16 seasons too late

Lol, that's cute. I want to IMPREGNATE Lisa, SEXTUPLET!

Shame about its sequel with Homer repeatedly dying and Lisa's zombie fetish.

What happens when the writers want every episode to be a THOH.

Wait, are you fucking serious?
It's STILL not dead?

Well fuck me.

I thought it was over after seasons 19-22 turned out to be cringe production factories.
What is their viewerbase now? Like, 4 people? Who the fuck is still watching the Simpsons?

Goddamn, it's the same fucking thing with Star Wars. That's the world we live in now. If something is even remotely popular enough to warrant a sequel or extra season, they'll just keep making them, running it right into the ground after all the talent has left, moved on, or died, and still keep making more, until we finally beg them to stop. No more are the days when a series could wrap up and end on a high note and always be remembered fondly. No more are the days when a series could go on just a little too long and leave a bad taste in our mouths before dying, leaving us to distinguish between the "good" entries and "bad" ones. No, these are the days where nothing can die until it's been stretched so far that 90% of the series is literal "just throw it in the garbage, I don't want it"-tier.

Yeah, but when the show hit 600 episodes he talked about "getting to the next 600" so who knows.

If one of the actors dies or quits, I think Fox will try to replace them and gauge public reaction. Especially if it's someone like Shearer who's not part of the main family.

Once that taboo is broken, the Simpsons can basically go on for eternity.

>What is their viewerbase now? Like, 4 people? Who the fuck is still watching the Simpsons?

Boco and three people on NoHomers, one of whom is that Cordless retard.

>What is their viewerbase now? Like, 4 people? Who the fuck is still watching the Simpsons?

It's consistently the highest-rated Fox show on Sundays (people are finally growing tired of Family Guy) and often the highest-rated show on Sunday prime time when there isn't football that night.

Also, if you add in international viewers from the various foreign dubs, it's one of the most-watched shows in the entire world.

>that Cordless retard.
Funny thing is, he hates the show in its current state, yet keeps watching it because he, in his own words, "wants to be able to say he's seen every episode".

The best way to fix that is by setting copyright terms at 35 years, this will help move older franchises into PD and encourage the development of new ones, as copyrights were originally intended to do.

So, set copyright terms at 35 years, round up all Disney lawyers and push them out of an airplane at 20,000 feet with no parachute so they can't fight it, and...problem solved. :^)

Doesn't Boco have a congenitally deformed body or something?

He also thinks if only they listened to him and made the show like his shitty fanfics, then it would be Season 3 quality again.

>The Changing of the Guardian

Wasn't that the episode where they inexplicably aged up the Chinese baby?

I can't wait for the Simpsons to be over so that we can stop being polite about it.

I understand that it's Al Jeans job as show runner to defend the show but I wish I could find the tweet where he called the Simpsons 'the most perfect vehicle for satire ever created'

Can someone explain why they keep bring back Cletus' daughter?

I don't watch new Simpsons, I can't, it hurts too much, but I did see the very first episode with Mary and I really didn't think much of her, she was just a bland Bart love interest and I thought nothing of her. Apparantly, she's been back on the show like 5 times.

Outside of the fact that she's voiced by Zooey Deschanel and she works at Fox, what's the point?

>Outside of the fact that she's voiced by Zooey Deschanel and she works at Fox, what's the point?

That is the point. :-D

24 seasons, thats a pretty damn impressive accomplishment.

That's pretty much the only viable "nice" comment at this point.

Like admiring the determination of a guy slamming his head into the sidewalk until he has no face.

Lisa is a real cunny bunny, you know? Like as if you could be attracted to yellow girls, she would be up there.

I saw a season 10 joke that made me consider suicide
where the fuck does writing go wrong?

I like it exactly as much as every other season of The Simpsons since I've never watched any.

The decline happened around seasons ~9-11, when Matt Greoning, David x. cohen, and others left to focus on Futurama, not to mention Phil Hartman died and his characters had to be retired

Mary is nothing really. The real villainy is that girlfriend voiced by Amy Poehler who's always in the future episodes.

heĀ“ll fry his brain, what a dumbass

If his fanart is an indication, he fried his brain at least 20 years ago.

I'd say the Decline began with 8's 4F run. Oakley & Weinstein decided it was a good idea to experiment, and go self-aware, because they thought the show was getting closer to ending/cancellation. While its still a good run for the most part, it definitely had a few episodes that made me go "what?". And the infamous "Principal and the Pauper" was made during this run, too.

I generally don't mind nuSimpsons, but that really was a bad season. Especially that episode where a teacher spends the entire time hating Lisa because she assumes she was popular.