Serious Question

Serious Question

Why did Bryke fuck up so bad with Korra that it killed off any chance we ever had of getting another Avatar series, while Last Airbender was a success and a master piece? Did they just stop caring around season 2? Because that's when I noticed things started going downhill. I remember when everyone was so excited for it when it premiered and then any one that wasn't into cancerous lesbian shipping just lost interest. That finale was huge spit in the face.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Korra#Ratings
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Korra#Critical_response
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because Bryke had no fucking talent and were lucky enough to get carried through the first series by actual good writers who did not show up for Korra.

There were several problems, I'll just list some. I'm not going to talk about the pandering because altough it was irritating it wasn't nearly the biggest problem and there was some feminist and environmentalist pandery episodes in the first series too.
>The Avatar skips through 3 elements worth of training completely
>Effectively half of team Avatar is introduced more or less instantly
>Team Avatar is a carbon copy mixup of the old Team Avatar
>None of the villains "points" were ever adressed and each one was defeated in a stupid manner with the Avatar learning nothing (granted, this didn't work in the original either, but you'd expect them to learn their lesson)
>Speaking of which, the Avatar didn't have to learn anything or grow as a person or become smarter.
>The show didn't do all that much new stuff with the show and dropped the mystery element completely (e.g. the spirit world was made too simple and revealed too quickly)
>The show bastardized the old characters except Zuko and maybe Katara
>Exploration didn't happen as much, and the world managed to become plain. Even if the city was the focus, they didn't really make it interesting

Not to deny Bryke's shittiness, but Nickelodeon has also gone down the crapper.

The Last Airbender wouldn't have survived if it came out in modern Nick.

ok why do retards like you keep making threads like this the show didn't fail you fucking retards it did good just because you didn't like some shit doesnt matter and if you think so raging idiots on Sup Forums is what the majority of the fans think then you are one stupid fuck the show is over get over it and a comic is coming out of korra and the comics of the other avatar series are still coming out stop bitching you fucking retards

Are you retarded
The show didnt do "fucking good" it got abysmal ratings that just got worse towards the end. It was doing so bad Nickelodeon didn't even air the final episodes on TV and Bryke pretty much confirmed that there will never be another Avatar directly because of it.

no are you fucking retarded Nick was the ones fucking them over changing time slots over and over cutting the budget for no reason and leaking 4 episodes and putting it online for no reason get over your hate you fucking idiot

Because when developing the show, they had no idea how many episodes they were getting. That's why the pacing is such a mess, and there's no overarching narrative like in ATLA.

First they got a 7 episode miniseries. Then a full season. Then two seasons. Then four. Then the last season wasn't going to air on TV.

You try making something coherent with your network yanking you around like that.

Korra's massive breasts.

George Lucas syndrome.

They had a ton of ridiculous ideas that didn't work together and nobody to reign them in. TLAB was full of great writers and by that point Bryke weren't so influential and respected for making Avatar that their will was unquestionable.

>pulled off TV
>terrible ratings

That seems pretty bad dude.

It was popular on tumblr but that's it.

>George Lucas

>George Lucas syndrome.
Eh... I don't know.
>They had a ton of ridiculous ideas that didn't work together
Too much stuff to do and not enough time to do it right or develop it, yes.
>TLAB
Pardon my autism but isn't it ATLA or A:TLA?
>nobody to reign them in
One again, I don't think so. In a way, it's the opposite, see:

you sound like a fucking idiot

>>The Avatar skips through 3 elements worth of training completely
Did you want to go through that again? I'll give them credit for an interesting concept contrasted with the original; Aang needed to gain confidence to be the Avatar, but Korra needed to gain humility and perspective.

I mean, it didn't fucking work but the concept was decent.

Are you one of those cute Star Wars fans that tries to defend the prequels?

Because if so, I guarantee you that everyone in this thread just lost all respect for your opinions.

I'm not the one that can't handle basic punctuation.

Korra declined massively in profitability over its later seasons. This is fact. It was taken off TV for a reason.

>massive

Bad meme.

no you are just a fucking idiot and i have only seen 3 Star Wars a new hope the The Force Awakens and rogue one now fuck off retard

>ok why do retards like you keep making threads like this
Because it is a legitimate question
>the show didn't fail you fucking retards
It had several problems and underperformed badly. See >just because you didn't like some shit doesnt matter
Just because you liked some shit doesn't matter
>and if you think so raging idiots on Sup Forums is what the majority of the fans think then you are one stupid fuck
I have no idea what Sup Forums thinks nor do I care. I know what I think, and I think it failed and I can point out flaws in it to back my point up.
>the show is over get over it
You can discuss shows even after they've stopped airing. Revolutionary, I know. We can't change anything about it, but it's still worth discussing it and learning from it.
>and a comic is coming out of korra and the comics of the other avatar series are still coming out
And I hope they're going to be good and won't make the same mistakes (one of the reasons it's worth discussing is that we can point these things out to the creators if given the chance)
>stop bitching you fucking retards
Literally not an argument and also incomprehensible, just like half of your post.

things Sup Forums thinks

Korra was originally designed to be a mini-series, then one season only. Season 2 and 3 were made just because season 1 was popular and they started having dollar signs in their eyes.

And thats why the quality sank, because now they werent making the show because they really wanted to do something good, but they were making it because they wanted to make money.

wow you fucks go thew some crazy shit to hate korra its fucking funny some of you fucks even bring in head canon to make points now

>cancerous lesbian shipping

I'm not tumblr but you guys need to quit getting triggered by gay people

Also it's not shipping if it's canon

>Korra needed to gain humility and perspective.
This could've still been pulled off by having her be cocky about being the Avatar and just generally being a fiery persona. You didn't need her to master several elements, instantly getting water would've been enough.

>Did you want to go through that again?
One of the points of the show is to compare the philosophies of each element with that of the Avatar (and people using them in general). With Earth, Korra would have to gain integrity. So far she had used Water, the element of improvisation, which goes agaisn't integrity which requires consistency and not constant switching of positions. With Air, she would have to learn perspective and new viewpoints. With Fire she'd have to learn humility or her hubris would end her. They could've focused on this more, considering that Aang had a mind for philosophy and understood a lot of it immediately (he just didn't agree with some of it), but Korra would have to focus on this more.

>The Avatar skips through 3 elements worth of training completely
That would have been horrible. We had fire, water and earth already, do you really want to see that again? Korra learns to bend air because that is what we haden't seen someone train yet.

>Effectively half of team Avatar is introduced more or less instantly
You mean like Team Avatar Aang, Sokka and Katara were everything we had for one season, with 2 and 3 adding one each?

>Team Avatar is a carbon copy mixup of the old Team Avatar
Eh, somewhat, but after all we want to see all elements in action, don't we?

>Speaking of which, the Avatar didn't have to learn anything or grow as a person or become smarter.
That's just complete and utter bullshit. From S01E01 it was all about "You need to become calmer and more focused." followed by the next seasons where Korra had to become more responsible, spiritual, cooperative and regain her self-confidence.

>wow you fucks go thew some crazy shit to hate korra its fucking funny
I'm not sure what this is supposed to communicate.
>some of you fucks even bring in head canon to make points now
The only thing I can remotely (and I mean remotely, in a far fetched way) connect to any kind of headcanon is "I know what I think, and I think it failed", but that's all you're operating on as well, even if a different stance. Point to one example of headcanon.

If you just reply with more incomprehensible shit, I won't reply back at all.

keep crying you fucking fool

The show was already doing bad before the changing slots, the bad ratings were also why the show was moved to different slots in the first place.

Did you get your discussion skils from Tumblr? Because it sounds exactly like it.

look at this retard

yea ok guy now go back to hiding under your bed from Tumblr it might get you this time

Good job at arguing my point, I was here when the show aired and I know how it went down, I'm not the one losing anything from this either, the show is finished and the series is dead, good riddance.

>That would have been horrible.
Well I responded here so read that first
>You mean like Team Avatar Aang, Sokka and Katara were everything we had for one season, with 2 and 3 adding one each?
Well this one had three members almost instantly and then one joined later IIRC. Also, this wouldn'tve been as big of a problem if they added more members over time and the next problem didn't stand.
>Eh, somewhat, but after all we want to see all elements in action, don't we?
I didn't mean just the elements, I mean't the characters too.
Korra is very similar to Toph (Cocky and arrogant, always faces problems head on) with a bit of Katara primarily in looks but also in emotional terms too.
Bolin has Sokka's personality except isn't as creative as often
Mako is more or less Zuko in every way except his motivation isn't honor and he isn't as angry.
Asami was the only original one out and still wasn't that memorable in terms of personality.
Bolin has Toph's ability set (switch metal to lava) and Korra has Aang's ability set apart from the lion turtle stuff. Asami has an advanced version of Sokka's ability set. Mako has Zuko's ability set.
>That's just complete and utter bullshit. From S01E01 it was all about "You need to become calmer and more focused." followed by the next seasons where Korra had to become more responsible, spiritual, cooperative and regain her self-confidence.
Except she kept on loosing badly in most battles until the very end. She didn't learn about her arrogance. The only time this happened in ATLA was during Aang's final battle, which had to do with Aang's own reluctancy to kill. She kept on rushing to fights without a plan constantly and getting her ass kicked.

This is bait. Stop replying unless you hear comprehensible arguments.

Ok anons, I didn't like the show either but you cannot say it isn't popular or a failure. The show is constantly rated highly on credible sites and people keep it alive with cult like following. This is enough to make it considered good to the masses.

you have nothing to point out out you stupid idiots have had the same circle jerk or years and now you think everybody has the some opinion
not everything is bait fool

I already pointed out what I had to, and I know for a fact it's true, specially Bryke saying the series has pretty much reached a dead stop and that he and his co creator are doing other things.

Keep crying as much as you want but this show was a failure, so much that it destroyed any possibility of a new series and that it doesn't hold a candle to the original. Also, learn to use correct puntuaction before trying to call someone a fool.

>but you cannot say it isn't popular
Okay, granted
>or a failure
We're not talking about a commercial failure, we're talking about an artistic failure. Several reasons have already been discussed in the thread.
>The show is constantly rated highly on credible sites
Sure, but it's not as high as the original series. It's good, but it dropped in quality in comparison to the original which is probably what is being discussed.
>people keep it alive with cult like following
Partially because it's designed to pander to what that following wants. Instead of focusing on what made the first series universally good (both to the following and the general public), it just switched to providing Tumblr what it wants. I know it sounds like a buzzword (and to be honest I'm not finding it easy to put it to words either, though I can try), but it isn't.
>This is enough to make it considered good to the masses.
I doubt we're talking about whether the masses liked it, at least I'm not.

>you have nothing to point out
Several things have been pointed out in this very thread.
>you stupid idiots have had the same circle jerk or years
This isn't a circlejerk and it's my first time posting on this board.
>and now you think everybody has the some opinion
No, I don't. My argument isn't based on popular opinion.
>not everything is bait fool
You are not arguing anymore. You are just insulting. There is nothing to gain from discussing anything with you. You need to start arguing and explaining why you disagree with people.

its not at a dead stop when did they say that and the comics are still coming out and it was not a failure get out of your hug box and see what people are saying about it

like i said what is there to argue about that you don't like is nobody gives a shit and every corra thread is a fucking circlejerk about how much some hate it its been going on for years

>corra
Look at this retard

Hide the thread and stop crying.

>I doubt we're talking about whether the masses liked it, at least I'm not.

They determine what lives and what doesn't.

>that you don't like is nobody gives a shit
Other people do give a shit. They wouldn't be posting in this thread if they didn't. You can just leave if you don't give a shit about our opinions.
>every corra thread is a fucking circlejerk
A circlejerk is something in which everybody agrees with eachother and keeps posting (while contributing nothing) when consensus has been reached purely for the reason that they want to hear other people agree with them. This thread isn't one of those threads. First of all people disagree with eachother and are discussing their reasons for doing so and everyone else except you has added something to the conversation.

Commercially? Definitely. Niche fanbases can keep these kinds of things alive with cult followings too, though. It's a good point, but as I said, I was just talking about my own perceived quality of the show and explaining what I saw as it's faults, other anons joined in and explained their perspective on what they thought. In that sense public opinion wasn't the point of the conversation, even if it's a topic that might be worth discussing.

>the show didn't fail you fucking retards
>gets pulled out of TV
>loses millions of viewers
>didn't fail

>if you think so raging idiots on Sup Forums is what the majority of the fans think
the majority just quit

>Nick hired them just to fuck with them
We already discussed that, the show failed by itself; if you start a season with X viewers and ends with half of it, there is no one else to blame but the writers.

Budget cuts came in S04 after 3 seasons losing viewers.

ok you hate the show now keep to your circle jerks and stop trying to shit up other avatar threads you fucking fools

>everybody agrees with eachother

yea only on threads on Sup Forums

Things went downhill earlier than that. Season 1 started off decent, but they screwed up bad with wasted time on the love triangle, pro-bending, etc.

>hate
>explaining the objective flaw in your argument
what?

>circle jerks
As I already pointed out, it isn't a circle jerk. Stop referring to it as one.
>stop trying to shit up other avatar threads
You can enjoy it if you like. No-one is telling you that you can't. We just disagree with eachother, and that's fine.

the same threads have been getting posted over and over with the same posts over and over what to you call that you do disagree you get a wall of greentext

i dunno about the rest of you, but i'd circle jerk over korra

and asami

at the same time

just the three of us

People barely care about the comics, most viewers jumped ship even before the show was over.

Starting as a cartoon and being dumbed down to a comic is pretty bad, this IP is never getting another animated series again.

Again, learn punctuation before calling someone a fool.

keep telling yourself that im out of here you cant even have korra threads without you retard going crazy we rarely have good avatar threads because of you fucks

you lost the argument that fast?

They should've tried making a GOOD showso we could talk about it, don't you think?

what argument

It came out too soon with no plan aside from having Korra being opposite as a character to Aang (brutish muscle girl who can't into meditation as opposed to witty boy who struggles with offensive bending), while Nickelodeon was jerking them around (1)"Oh, it's a mini-series", 2)"You know what, make a season 2, and 3 and 4, but move to a different time slot without telling anyone" 3)"Yeah... how about we don't air it at all on TV?")

To circle jerk two women alone, you'd have to be a pretty big guy

wow you`re actually an idiot

Action cartoons are fucking dead, Avatar was just a product of its time, if the original cartoon came out today it would have been cancelled after the first season at the latest, if it was even greenlit in the first place.

>it did good
Can you give a single quantifiable proof that the show as a whole "did good", at least compared to ATLA? Because it's lesser in every aspect of "did good" that matters like ratings and all that

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Korra#Ratings

>The series premiere averaged 4.5 million viewers, ranking it as basic cable's number-one kids' show and top animated program for the week with total viewers. The Legend of Korra also ranks as the network's most-watched animated series premiere in three years.

>Book One: Air drew an average of 3.8 million viewers per episode. This was the highest audience total for an animated series in the United States in 2012.

>Book Two: Spirits premiered with 2.6 million viewers. Suggested explanations for the reduced number of broadcast viewers were: the long period between seasons, a change in time slot (Friday evening instead of Saturday morning), the increased availability of digital download services, and generally reduced ratings for the Nickelodeon channel.

>Book Three: Change aired on short notice in June 2014 after Spanish-language versions of some episodes were leaked on the Internet. The season premiered with 1.5 million viewers. After declining TV ratings in the third season, Nickelodeon stopped airing the series on television and shifted its distribution to online outlets, where the show had proven to be much more successful.

>skips through elements
>team is introduced immediately
>exploration didn't happen much

You've got to remember that TLA had many more episodes to a single season so while it could get the pacing just right, Korra was a little more rushed. Doesn't excuse it completely but Korra didn't have the fortune of fucking around the Earth Kingdom in various towns for half a season before arriving at Ba Sing Se, the focal point of the back half of the season.

So.. are you still ignoring that after the premier, it kept losing ratings through the season?

You realize you are admitting the show lost ratings after the first episode as it went on right? Also how does that prove it was successful or "did good"?

Because Bryke are giant weebs and they saw what happened to The Master, Mister Anno and Captain Hideo Kojima of the SS Ruse Cruise. They had to make Korra as terrible as possible on purpose so they wouldn't be chained to their creation. It was all part of the bigger keikaku, don't you see?

Are you sure?

Most shows lose ratings throughout the season(s). Unless you're Game of Thrones or something, it's not very easy to avoid that.

I think the biggest problem with Korra is that it really didn't belong on Nickelodeon in the first place. Its audience was in the older demographic. I was a kid when ATLA aired and I was in my late teens by the time Korra came along and most of the people who watched Korra came over from ATLA. It would have been interesting to see how a different network handled it and whether that would result in us getting competent plotlines.

>So.. are you still ignoring that after the premier, it kept losing ratings through the season?
You do realize that that is not anything unique, right? Most shows lose ratings as their season goes on.

>You realize you are admitting the show lost ratings after the first episode as it went on right?
Not any more than is normal. You act like the show lost 3 million viewers after one episode.

The show averaged 3.8 million viewers in its first season(where it was most successful). Book 2 has reasonable excuses for its drop in viewers, and Nickelodeon was trying it out being online too so that amounts for some people not watching live.

We also know(from that article) that Nickelodeon in general saw reduced ratings, so Korra's decrease is entirely normal.

Book 3 aired on very short notice, explaining the further drop besides what we already know for reasons.

> Also how does that prove it was successful or "did good"?
Because Book 1(before the timeslot change) did really good, and we know the show was successful online. Or did you never learn how to read?

nick treated him like shit
it's no wonder he decided to pander to a group that WOULD treat him well as long as he did what they said.

The show went from halfway decent to complete an utter SJW fuckery after the first season. Apparently the creators didn't realize that what made the first show great was the fact that it was an adventure fantasy FIRST. Too many ideals were shoehorned in and the biggest bullshit ending was the pseudo dyke ending that only tumblrtards who are a minority gave a shit about while pretty much 90% of their viewers don't self insert into their stories as girls. Thank god the story tanked and is barely kept relevant through comics(which last I heard don't sell for shit), other than the occasional company shill who makes 2-3 threads here a day just so the story stays in mind no one cares anymore they ruined the series completely. The only thing that could save this story is a complete retcon of LoK as if it never happened.

You're also forgetting how the toys sold like hot dogshit and NO ONE bought the dvd's. The show was a complete disaster from a story, advertising and ratings standpoint. LoK faggots keep forgetting that it's one of the only shows EVER to literally get pulled mid season and say shit like "m-muh decent ratings".

losing a million viewers, and not getting them back even in your season finale, shows that your season failed. It is no small difference we're talking about.

Dude, Young Justice was crtitocally praised and had good rating consistently and it was still cancelled, why?, because ratings don't mean shit. Studios want advertising, merchandise and sales. If you get a show that loses viewers consistently, is watched by primarily left sjw tumblrtards AFTER the show aired and other than their little bubbles is panned by critics while ignored by their primary demographic they'll cancel it. LoK failed in literally ALL regards, the creators haven't done anything since and the only retards to talk about this flaming pile of garbage is the odd thread on Sup Forums or deviant art posted on tumblr. The story is dead live with it.

And that's great user, I'm just telling you that you are going to be looked at as nuts for saying it it bad.

Say that without buzzwords.

Dude my gay friends were insulted by the ending. If I remember correctly my lesbian friend said "so if a girl is tough, assertive and confident she's HAS to be gay also, the fuck?" It was the lowest kind of pandering meant for the dumbest of people.

Lesbian shipping is the ony shipping I care about

>how the toys sold like hot dogshit
What toys?

>and NO ONE bought the dvd's.
Plenty bought the show through a variety of mediums. Judging only by DVDs, especially these days, is silly.

No, it shows that your show is perfectly normal.

>because ratings don't mean shit.
>Studios want advertising
So ratings do matter? You do realize that advertising occurs when a show is broadcast, correct?

>merchandise and sales.
Kinda hard to make money on nonexistent merchandise.

> If you get a show that loses viewers consistently,
TLOK's loss in viewers has explanations. Not my fault if you ignore them in favor of you "le the show didn't do good" narrative.

>is watched by primarily left sjw tumblrtards AFTER the show aired
I can't take you seriously with that many buzzwords in one sentence.

>and other than their little bubbles is panned by critics
The Legend of Korra was critically acclaimed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Korra#Critical_response

I would but idiots only comprehend arguments that way.

Bryke is two people

>it shows that your show is perfectly normal
normally most shows are shit, or turn to shit

Why don't you guys just make your own fucking Avatar series, if you hated Korra so much? Seriously, start a Kickstarter and just do it. Sure, it'll eat into your "Let's ruin every Korra thread ever and start awful Korra threads just for fun every fucking day until people agree with me" time, but you could always kill yourself for being a fucking faggot too. Goddamn fucking whiny manchildren, every goddamn day with this shit.

>stop disliking things I like
I can criticize whatever I want snowflake. Korra was a horrible series and is a terrible scar on the avatar franchise.

>snowflake

stopped reading there

boo hoo cry me a river. I'll shit on Korra all I want.

ok, kid
you do that