JSA Storytime: Captain Atom

Good evening owls,

the gang's all here

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Itself_(comics)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

and now, a short recap on Max

come on, captcha, load

More Nate Thank you.

still not okay

this takes us up to N52 and we'll see what we do from there because N52 was pretty but kind of not what I wanted? also, Bates/Weisman is out Wednesday, and we'll have a lot to talk about there

>N52 was pretty but kind of not what I wanted?
Diet Manhattan

How is everyone feeling about Max in the JL vs SS mini?

Oh man I remember this as it was coming out. Sup Forums was full born JLI IS THE BEST EVER SHUT UP and it was fun watching them convince themselves this was a great series and realize it wasn't over a year.

i remember absolutely nothing from the series itself

Hey OP!

The DC Watchmen tweets are triggering me hard.

potential that has yet to be capitalized on

i tweeted johns time trapper shit so i feel good about myself

Brightest Day brought back a lot of people and was total dicks to most of them

GODDAMMIT CAPTCHA

oh look it's Green Lantern

Do you think you could track Max by his bloody handkerchiefs? Even just by handkerchief purchases maybe.

I believe I have read that this one had a LOT of mandatory plot changes on the fly, as well

it's weird that Booster had entire life story from post Crisis to the end of Convergence.

Greatest Hero Of All Time

>OP has become a consistent faggot.
What went right?

damn, that's cold

OP works tomorrow night, so breaking that streak, sorry

reminder that Tora came back from the dead in BoP

i think i was also mad about this series because I love the Johns/Katz Booster Gold so much

>and was total dicks to most of them
Not as bad as the poor legacy characters got it in Blackest Night.

Still mad about Shiera/Kendra

reminder that honestly, Rucka, what were you thinking with Bea

if that BC thing about "shorter arcs, no more six-parters-for-a-trade" is true, gott sei dank

What about them

So they're going to Rebirth Booster soon right? Maybe he's part of a big story considering he's time traveller and all.
Also I don't know where Martian Manhunter is. I was so sure he was going to be in Orlando League.

>if that BC thing about "shorter arcs, no more six-parters-for-a-trade" is true, gott sei dank

i'm hoping that's BC spinning it and the actual thing is more "let the stories be the length they need to be"

a mandate for short stories isn't much better than a mandate for long stories imo

pure husbando time

I wouldn't be surprised if it is true, so far a few Rebirth books had 7-8 issue opening arcs but it seems like every subsequent arc has been 3-5 issues instead with a handful of 1-2 issue ones

I hope it's along the lines of "Editorial, plan your shit out, and err on the side of less expanded and why don't you work on long-term continuing plot skills"

Booster is crossing over in Flintstones, but I would be surprised if he doesn't show up elsewhere afterwards

Apparently the HB annuals are meant to be canon since the Future Quest/Adam Strange one follows up after Death of Hawkman

>Also I don't know where Martian Manhunter is. I was so sure he was going to be in Orlando League.
Yeah I was stunned he wasn't announced in the JLA lineup, Orlando LOVES MMH

Maybe he'll show up once the roster starts changing

I'm hoping it's more of a "don't drag stories out and don't write specifically for a 6 issue trade" thing and less "YOUR STORIES MUST BE 5 ISSUES OR LESS"

Are you looking forward to the event?

I like the idea of shorter arc, my favorite writers currently at DC (King, Seeley, Orlando) are all very good with one and done. I hope there's a mandate for one shots and smaller arcs, would feel great desu.

yeah, I mean there's no real reason to abandon the basics of Claremont/Levitz style.

right. i guess any hard line mandate not from the creative team worrys me

>a mandate for short stories isn't much better than a mandate for long stories imo
IMO that's totally wrong and the former is hugely preferable, at least with big two comics in the US.

Still betting on JLVSS ending with Max tricking everyone and becoming the JLA liason.
Then dreaming Teds gonna join up after Bats quits after the first 5 issues and is the one that figures out Max's shit

I want to see more things that are 1) written with artist capacities in mind so arcs have a coherent fill without fill-ins 2) carrying longer and more subtle subplots over arc boundaries 3) pack in the development for supporting cast

No, just thought people were bitching about it on twitter or soemthing

Hell hasn't King been doing 4 or 5 issue arcs with intermittent one offs?

>1) written with artist capacities in mind so arcs have a coherent fill without fill-ins

green arrow jumps out to me as pulling this off amazingly. Superman too.

Just the tweets from creatives like "It's happening!"

It's not profaning something sacred for me anything, I just think it'll be shit.

The only reason for shorter arcs is artist can't keep up. Look at both Action and Superman ffs. I'd take forced one to three parter if it meant art was consistent.

It's Didio Comics, of course it'll be shit.

>carrying longer and more subtle subplots over arc boundaries
That's the thing, right? Frequent up-to-6 arcs doesn't mean you abandon long term stories entirely, it means you work them over a series of arcs. If the mandate was for arcs of 6-or-less with 1 or 2 one-shots in between that would be my absolute ideal. I think done-in-one's tend to help the supporting cast with an ongoing title too, maybe others would disagree on that. But they certainly can do.

Exactly, send everyone to read a few years of Levitz/Giffen LOSH and see how the whole is greater than the parts

Khouri has talked about plotting very, very specifically for artist pacing and availability

Flintstones' existence is also Didio Comics.

I am because whatever the quality is, I know it would trigger the fuck out of autists.

I think one-and-dones make writers who don't have a large time scale for writing/revision concentrate on using all their page real-estate more carefully

DAMMIT

>Brightest Day
While it doesn't sound like Fear Itself-level, I've never heard anything good about this.

it's mostly long and pointless, kinda dumb, and leads absolutely nowhere

Back to >>>/reddit/ cocksucker.

Stopped clocks and all that.

It exists, I can say that much

I want him to show up in Jaime's book

There were a few memorial storytimes when you weren't running OP. I dunno if you saw but I came across this on Giffen LOSH about then and posted it in one of them:

>Legion of Super-Heroes Vol 4 #5

>Oh, it's a long story. But basically a crazy wizard manages to fuck up history so that magic defeats technology up until even the 30th century. So this single issue is the Medievalized versions of the superheroes trying to get their timeline back. Keith Giffen manages to do what Mike Mignola couldn't and creates the most convincingly Lankhmarish visuals in comics history.

>Some people thought Keith Giffen's run on Legion was too dark, too dense, too complex, and too hard to understand. These people are all child molesters. There is nothing like it in the history of comic book storytelling and if we had to lose a few illiterate waterheads off the fanbase in order to see it, then those are the risks of the culture business.

>Many more people have never even heard of Giffen's run on Legion of Super-Heroes because nobody fucking reads Legion of Super-Heroes. I envy these people because they can go buy back-issues of the first few years of Legion Volume 4 and be extremely surprised and confused and engrossed and happy for a few days in a way that's otherwise fairly difficult to do without taking off your clothes, leaving the house, getting fat, or paying some creep with weird facial hair for a carefully-titrated helping of something illegal.

that's our Nate

Who else tends to have absorption powers like this?

The main series was kind of weird, some plots were good and some were just kind of there

But that book is shit

This, look at Prieststroke.

Back to shitposter

...that's amazing

really? memorial storytimes? I'm honored

not everyone gets it but those that do DO

I kinda think when you look smaller you also look at more minor details about a character and/or the supporting cast.

You can get a whole lot done in just a couple of pages, honestly. I really don't hate the idea of shorter arcs coming from a comics anthology background.

Prieststroke is also doing very well with its supporting cast. It did from the first issue on actually.

F

...not really, we know he's back, but at least we got the blowing up out of the way early, and for all his faults Winick seems to know what it does

Nothing is Fear Itself level.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Itself_(comics)
Just go to reception, every fucking critic probably edited himself shitting on the event. I have never seen a Wikipedia page like this for any other comic.

We've got what: Slade, Wintergreen, Adele, Rose, Joey, Joey's thing, the support guy...

it broke Fraction

It was rough going without you OP.

Hey fuck you don't steal my thing.
Even if it's true

>Reddit calling other people out

Deathstroke's first arc was 8 issues long, not exactly a short arc

The next two arcs look a lot shorter though

this is gonna hurt

Fear Itself was the pre-Age of Ultron high mark for "shitty mandated event" that I would love to read the internal about because it was blown up from a small thing into line-wide

it did, however, bring us the Giant-Size Man-Thing

It probably helps that Mr Stroke has an established family. But yeah, as soon as Wintergreen was revealed we started getting work on the supporting cast. Shit he even did some work with Damian as a bonus.

>about because it was blown up from a small thing into line-wide

yeah a Cap and Thor crossover.

now that was how you do a feature issue within a larger arc, yes

yeah, this is top-tier whump

It was 8 issue long but a lot of the issues work as one shot. Like Deathstroke fighting Batman. Art change in that series isn't jarring since every issue changes the setting.

>Art change in that series isn't jarring since every issue changes the setting.
I hadn't considered that at all, good point.

Yeah, there was actually a lot going on, it wasn't just a 4 issue story dragged out to 8 issues

but the next arcs being shorter do make me wonder if there's some truth to the BC article

It's Winnick writing, right? Half of everyone's going to come across like bitches

I could also see someone in a store flipping through a single and being interested enough to start from the top

lol half

there's a lot of Bitcherei in this run, but some of it's fun

(there are also some cool unexpected cameos)

What do I read for more background on Ice's homeland?

shiny naked characters in comics: GO

You must get sick of this, Nate.

is this /d/?

>Frozen water will contain radiation

Idunno, but is Peter Thiel the Maxwell Lord of our universe?

As a physical barrier, I'm not sure which radiation it stops and what gets through

that's an awful lot of blood

....fuck

And?

yeah, here we go

I like the notion he just bled a whole bunch over Booster before walking to the bleeding rig. Just gotta spread it about before leaving a trail.

Max is pretty petty

>Joey's thing
Hahaha

Also that African guy from the first issue and I suspect Ikon will have more flashback scenes

good pitch for a series ngl