How legit are STEM-fields?

How legit are STEM-fields?

Do you really make good money? What does the future look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zeMZGGQ0ERk
youtube.com/watch?v=WWoyc3t6lgs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only get a stem degree if you plan on wasting your money and life away. It's a meme, no one actually gets jobs with a STEM degree.

Yup. Breddy much that.

I can only speak from the computer programming/software development industry, but a degree + a portfolio of shit you've worked on == almost certain job guarantee in the field. In fact, I'd say the portfolio is even more important than a 2 or 4-year degree.

Chemistry here.
Try not to be a chemist.

> Computer Science Degree
> Ohio
> 29 yo
> Entered industry in 2012
> Make > $100k/yr

Yes. Future is bright in the land of computer whisperers.

Just graduated with a Civil degree making $65k in lower Aabama where everyone else is poor as shit. Projected job growth of 24% in the next 2 years.

Only STEM degree worth going for is Engineering unless you're stupidly smart and think you can work for NASA or SpaceX.

Yeah this is what I suspected. In Sweden pretty much every engineer that graduates get's hired as soon as they are out. People get job offers before they even graduate, and they all have their first salary set to what a veteran plumber would make, its pretty ridicilous.

The future is going to be an oversaturated market
Ask yourself this, Henrik. How many of your acquaintences have chosen Högskoleingenjör (any direction) and civilingenjör?
For computer stem stuff, you gotta make sure you're great at your job or else you're just gonna end up a code monkey
Save yourself the trouble of looking for jobs, just enter med school. 6 years of studying and you'll live like a king with the Swedish salaries they give out

I studied a Masters of Engineering at the University of Nottigham (think Robin Hood). Whilst studying, I was sponsored by a big German engineering firm (think Siemens) and the money/bursaries for a poor student were amazing. Since I wasn't totally autistic I was often asked to help with open days in recruiting new undergraduates which I did.

However; knowing what I know now, I don't think I could seriously sell engineering as an "earning mega dosh" choice. You would be better off studying STEM and going into the financial sector.

I love engineering though and ended up leaving said German firm to do more of it. I now work for a small company (

Too many in my closer circle study for doctor, I want to be unique in that sense, not sure if it's even relatable to many people.

I plan to go mechanical engineering (5 year civilingenjörs) and I see absolutly no reason not to except the hard work I need to put in

If that's what you wanna do, go for it
But if you're just choosing it for the title and the money (which is why i'm doing med school in gypsyland), then you might as well go doctor
Since there's a shortage of doctors in Sweden and you can negotiate your pay easily.
I know a guy that's been in Sweden for 2 years (came from Syria), he's already reaching 1-2 mil a year.
But if you feel that you really WANT civilingenjör, then you should pursue it. Follow your dreams, snownigga.

>Only STEM degree worth going for is Engineering unless you're stupidly smart and think you can work for NASA or SpaceX
Came here to say this.

Unless you are literally one of the smartest people on the entire globe in your field (not likely), or you want to stay in academics/research, engineering is the only one worth the time and effort.

You do not study STEM for money, you do it for the amazement and the glory.

Var beredd på hårt jobb min vän, det är sannerligen ingen barnlek att plugga till civ.ing. Men när du är färdig så står du på starka ben, med en av de bästa utbildningarna i ryggen, och vetskap om att du är mer kompetent än ~95% av befolkningen.

But what about all the potions you can brew!!

Don't think you have job security if you go STEM. Remember Pajeet and Mao will have your job if you get too comfortable. The best advice I can give is do what you can but be prepared to go self-employed if you have too.

Don't go hard sciences unless you really want to spend time writing scientific articles and beg money from foundations/funds/programs. I recently got my M.Sc and doing my PhD currently but I have already warned my professor that I'm going to leave at some point.

Having quite my studies in medicine and bioengineering, I decided to cultivate mainly corn and berries in my own field and feed my livestocks 80 sheeps in my farm on Olympus Mountain, pretty redpilled choice tbqh I advise you to do them same. STEM is ultra bluepill since it fades the rustic tradition of Europe.

pay debts

>Science
Maybe if you're autistic you can make a super good living out of this but realistically you will be middle class and probably doing some fucking random job that doesn't make sense in context of your original degree. eg. Botanist who looks at degradation of buildings.

>Technology
Meme. Technology is such a broad term that this means absolutely nothing. Maybe if this was ontology or business informatics you'd make a shitload.

>Engineering
Middle class, basic shit. I don't see an amazing future, but like they aren't going anywhere.

>Math
Like technology this shit is pretty much a meme. A degree in Pure maths sure but you aren't doing that, you're getting random core shit. So again if you were doing say actuarial science or just pure maths you could make alright money but realistically if you are invested in maths you might aswell just teach yourself and apply it with your own brain. Learning math at uni is a bit of a circle jerk.

Overall you need to decide what you want. IF you want money, then apply whatever you are good at to making money. If not do what you love. Paint fucking pepes on velvet and sell them online for all I care. If you have interest in it do it. Just remember you can also get burnt out of the things you like unless you have some fucked up love for it, to which case I def recommend to pursue it.

Tl:dr, Do what you love or sell your soul

I have a STEM degree, got a job working for a smallish data management company.

Hey jew you want dough ha? Mo money mo problems.

The Technology part is meme

There is always a boom for more tech but as time goes on the tech gets cheaper and eventually native works have their jobs shipped overseas. It happened every time

Why not

Is it filled with Nu-males and feminists or is it redpilled?

CS major graduated from engineering school I am 24 making 80k a year so not too shabby

>tech
>redpilled
wew. Its full of virtue signalling nu-males

few to 0 occupations are "red-pilled"

Nah just normal people, couple of pajeets but most people are white or asian. No nu-males at all, mostly male workforce.

They're lying, don't be an engineer. Do something else, we're full

Isn't engineering mostly temporary, until the job is done?

Yeah, you are either better off doing a specific degree in something good that you enjoy. Eg. Computer science.

Or just do a shitty intro degree, smash it out and then do post grad shit which actually teaches you crap. You can get transferred from getting good marks in a BA in history to a better uni doing engineering post grad. Just pick up a few cores along the way.

Why would you use a double equals in a value declaration. Some cs worker you are

The trades, agriculture, lumber etc are all redpilled as fuck. Even engineering isn't too bad. But as soon as you venture into the theoretical sciences, union jobs or design fields it becomes complete cancer

Trades are

Maybe in frog land, America will need engineers until the end of time

Why do supposed intellectuals fall for liberalism when they should be immune and only listen to objective facts/scientific method?

You'll always make good money, but only if there's space in the field.

Male in nursing? Oh hell yeah, you're in.

Trying to be a neurologist? Oops too bad, the field is full.

If I could I would into small business or be self employed if I had a STEM degree. It seems harder but at least people won't sell you out

>Can't decide between math or computer science,
>still might wanna be a teacher

I just want to do something fun and rewarding

because youtube.com/watch?v=zeMZGGQ0ERk

Is nursing considered STEM?

Depends on the person. Intellectuals are in college all the time so they never really grow out of the meme phase. Put them in a real world job like everybody else with the same degrees as them and watch them change

You have a better shot at working in the private sector, so yeah they are "legit"

No. Any major that is mostly female cannot be STEM. Biology is not STEM.

>Believing this.

You should look up software architect job openings and salaries on glassdoor.

Im already being approached by companies and I only just begun my masters.

I appreciate threads like this since it's hard to get brutally honest viewpoints from people who actually have experience.

God damn INTs, I wish I could enjoy CS

You don't need a STEM degree to be self employed

Do something fun then, become an english and art teacher if you want. I didn't even go to uni and I work at the uni doing assignments for rich kids. I get paid $60 an hour because most of the kids at this uni are rich kids from other places. Then on my free time I study ontology on my own using the university logins for the students I write assignments for and open source shit.

Shadilay! Shadilay! Hail the Green Frog of the Nile with a Thousand Shitposts

Polymer Chemistry is growing and has been for decades, and technology applications are nearly reaching an event horizon for it imo.

If you are in industries, it depends on the company and your experience. Chemists can make over $100k in the right company even without being senior. A lot of them are more like $70k. Chemistry has been very competitive for the past 15 years due to a tougher economy in general, so you will need the right education and research experiences to better your chances, if you don't just want to be a lab technician that is, which is something different entirely.

Organometallic Chemistry is also a hot research field if you want to do that.

The engineering meme needs to die.
I haven't had an engineering job for about 2 years now... and they are pumping out new grads like water.
In short, fuck off, we are full.

There are never enough good teachers.

>Network/Systems Engineer from CS degree
Le epic 6-figure starting salary and unlimited demand

youtube.com/watch?v=WWoyc3t6lgs

>Science
One of the most fulfilling if you land in a large Lab/Institute working on shit that you want to be, statistically this is unlikely and you will hate yourself for doing unfulfilling projects that your Lab Head steals and calls his own. Also enjoy asslicking Journals, writing boring-as-fuck articles, and shilling hard as fuck for Grants

>Tech
Meme as fuck. If you are the type of person that can make some revolutionary innovation, a degree program might help you tie the strings together but for the most part you will drop out and end up with 10 gorillion dollars. If you aren't that type of person, this is a Meme.
Most of what we think of as tech can really be considered different Engineering disciplines.

>Engineering
Pretty solid. Upper Middle-class lifestyle guaranteed.

>Math
Insanely broad. This is even more broad than Science up there earlier. If you go down the Finance route and grab an MBA as well, you are 100k starting, add Jewish genes to become Lloyd Blankfein. Pure Math is the other one but seriously, the people that 'get' Pure Math are a statistical and genetic anomaly.

To narrow it down into exact Post-Grad programs that you should do if you want to make good money:
>Pharmacology
>Actuarial Science
>MBA
>Med School
>Law School (Just not Criminal Law)
>Geology w/ specialization towards something relevant in the Energy Industry

>STEM is a meme, donduit
>less competition
>profit

If you have to ask if you should do STEM then you aren't cut out for STEM.

If you have no interest in the field you're going to resent your job.

>oversaturated
you cant oversaturate a field if people cant get the degrees due amount of work involved

alot of people arent smart enough or cant handle the field they start in thats why people go into other majors to begin with

> American here
> Graduated from STEM field in 2014
> Molecular and Cellular biology
> Got a job right out of college at a laboratory that analyzes cells in crime scene evidence for criminal cases
> Make great money
> Came out with minimal debt because I studied at a college near my city and lived with my parents during college

10/10 would do again.

Yeah, I don't like CS or any of that math shit. Like I enjoy logic and communication but not math. I'm just good at finding information so realistically I could do whatever.

So basically after 8 years of studying you can hope to join an industry that is not actually growing but changing in focus. Most of the "good" sectors are shrinking in the western world atm. The only two industries are really growing properly. Service, mainly because we are become a service based economy (not innovation/scientific/information) and because people are getting multiple service jobs. The other is health because the old people are holding onto most of the wealth and they want to live as long as possible.

>I wish I could enjoy it

Literally it's 5% talent, 95% doing shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until you get it

Two of my friends got jobs right out of college as engineers, one in public sector at a Naval/Airforce Research and Development base and another at a company that manufactures and develops consumer LED technology.

Mechanical engineering here, going into transport, rolling stock. Job prospects for engineers (minus oil and gas) are fucking good atm, do it if you don't mind being skull fucked by maths.

Depends on the country.

Here is shit.
No matter what people try to defend it's pure shit which is why we have such a huge brain drain in this country.

Founding for research has gone to shit, if you can find any left it's being cut at the very moment and only certain groups can use it which is generating a lot of butthurt inside the federal universities.

So the research field as I said is in shambles, let's talk about the private market now which is centered in development.

You will be underpaid most of the time.
There's no growing opportunities or stability in companies due to both the employer and employes mentality, basically people think the only jobs you want to dedicate on the long run are public servant jobs.

Laws and taxation also screw with the internal market more than it helps. The policies are basically let's tax everything as much as possible to protect the internal industry but that industry doesn't really exist due to lack of funding, high taxes and extreme bureaucracy (opening a small business here is hell my friend).

The only bonus I can see, at least in my specific area is that when we do jobs for the international market we get paid in dollars which right now is great due to our shitty our currency is.

Moving to chile or argentina is probably the best someone can do if they want to make a small business in the technology field. I don't see anything great coming from Brazil in the next decades, populist policies fucked everything up. We will always be "the country of tomorrow" but never the one of today.

Pretty much this

All in all, you can't just slack and barely pull yourself through any degree and think of getting a good job, well, only if you have "connections". This goes for the engineering "students",that barely get through with shit tier marks and other stuff, all because they heard the engineering propoganda on the radio or read it in the news, expecting to earn big bux just because they have a degree

Same thing goes for many humanitarian degrees too, you can study a meme tier stuff like pure maths or science if you have some breakthrough stuff in your mind or just really really good at it, same you could study economics despite there is a massive overpopulation of economists and law grads (currently in Latvia, we also have tons of pleb tier "engineers") and still get a job, if you're really good at it and it interests you.

It's illegal (((

If you're wondering what degrees to get into:

First of all follow your interests. You can't study something you wouldn't enjoy. That being said, I have noticed engineering and computer science topics have significantly more jobs available right now that are not part of some bubble or boom. Other fields tend to fluctuate a lot more in demand.

I myself studied chemistry and luckily enough this is a very broad field so you can to some degree make your studies flexible towards the market. Biochemistry is still growing strong and material science, what I am doing, has a decent demand as well.

Organic chemistry has been in decline for a long time and it's only going to get worse.

Geology is pretty cancer atm dude, not sure how Russian is though but everywhere else it's not doing too well. Maybe if you look at palaeontological research or some weird future shit which probably requires 3 degrees. Either way geology is a bit fucked atm.

If anyone has questions about our university and higher education situation, feel free to ask

I already have two full time job offers with just a geology bachelor's soon to be completed. Of course I am heavily involved in local professional organizations, tailored my degree towards the job market (hydro over oil/mining), and go out of my way to try to get a job unlike most of my unshaven, gym shorts and sandal clad peers. Honestly most students are just a bit unrealistic and dreamers more than do-ers. Most of my class just wants to study volcanoes or remote caves when in reality only the very best will be able to make money doing so, and will likely work at a camping supply store and collect rocks in their spare time.

Like I said if you don't have the right experience cut out for it, some people with Masters will get in over PhD's or Bachelors over Masters.

>Service, Health
If our industries collapse any further in the US the country is over anyways.

As a male nurse, hahahahahahahaha wow

This

Which is why I cringe every time I see politicians shit out grants and incentives for it. It only further devalues things like philosophy and art which are important but greatly unappreciated.

Just stick at what you know and ignore anyone who tells you that you absolutely have to work somewhere to have a fulfilling life.

Learn something to a product of some sort back to the world, and people. That is how you make it to the richest... not working for Mr. Shlomo Shekelburg Jr.

t. own european car specialty repair shop that undercuts the dealers jew service departments while still making a profit.

I dunno about latvia but in pretty much all western countries the system is overly bloated mainly related to triple-helix theory being a huge foundation in our organisational infrastructure. That or you gotta be 40+.

>tfw fell for the STEM PhD meme

don't do what I did guys.

My Nephew got a chemical engineering degree from Penn State University. (He got accepted to Yale, but even with academic scholarships my sister and her husband couldn't swing it.) He had a job before he even graduated. He is making fantastic money.

STEM is where it's at lads.

delet this

Math undergrad here, job prospects are slim.

Hi I am civil engineer too graduated a month ago. My specilization is mainly structural engineering like concrete, steel and composite construction. I can also design bridges and evaluate seismic performance of bridges. What is the situation in construction companies in states are there jobs for me with my attributes in states? I am thinking of making my internship there and search for a job but I don't know which state to pick.

I'm a computer science grad from a well regarded university.
Currently depressed and doing all I can to avoid getting a job or even writing up my shit CV. Maybe I'll end myself.

Basically university is a meme, stem is a meme within a meme. Don't let yourself get tricked.

just don't pick biology cause it's dogshit. There's no "biologist" job, I mean at least a physicist or a mathematician can do pretty much anything, with bio you don't even get a good math background

I remember during the primaries more than one politician talked bad about philosophy degrees etc and although I'm in the sciences, it really is upsetting to have politicians talk down to people like that as if they know what we should do with our lives.

Instead they should talk more about opening up industries again so the public don't have limited choices and feel unsure about what they can do to make a living.

Reading through the replies in here

CS people says its shit
Engineers say its great

So I'm making the correct call in going engineering then

I have a STEM degree and work in a STEM field (electrical tech/engineer).

I wish I had gone into the skilled trades (electrician or plumbing). More job options/flexibility where I live, less student debt, less schooling, comparable pay, and a more fun coworkers.

This means nothing though. Just because you happen to have a friend of a friend who was related to a kid who got accepted to Yale doesn't mean that everyone will.

You have to look at the industry as a whole. STEM is great if you are in the top percentile of students, but then again so is everything single field. If you were amazingly smart you could make cartography work by coordinating datasets with spatial information.

Realistically you need to look introspectively at what you want out of life to know what you want to do.

Yeah, except it was my Nephew. He couldn't afford Yale, so went to Penn State Main Campus. He had a job before he graduated. You sound like a fucking woman "Just follow your dreams and all will be sunshine and rainbows." No, fuck that noise. If you're going to go to college, get a STEM degree. Most other degrees you may as well wipe your ass with.

You have to apply yourself like any degree though. Like I was saying for Chemistry you gotta pursue research frequently and be on top of which classes will best equip you to get you where you want to be, as well as proving yourself to people in the department.

I imagine engineering is the same way, going for the bear minimum is not appealing to anyone. So be involved in making a plan to get yourself polished.

A word of warning though, get some conviction about what you want to do or you may not see it through. I had to learn more about the specific industries, companies and positions to hone in on what I had to do.

IDK about money yet but my coursework has been super legit so far. I'm doing my master's in EE at the moment and starting to get to the point where the stuff taught in the lectures is pretty cutting-edge and mostly applicable to real-world problems you face in the industry as well as academia.

Also, PhD programs at my department pay $6k/month starting so that's always an option. I'm told that this kind of pay being standard for PhD students is pretty much unique worldwide.

I like our education system a lot in general actually. Seems much better than the American one.

Do engineering. Mechanical or electrical. Go get a real thesis-based master degree under a well-respected professor. The connections you will make will be more important than the degree.

Physics degree.
Managed work in 4 countries now.
Pay isn't great, but keeps me comfy.
Work is interesting enough.

I don't see a better alternative or compromise.

>not studying economics and moving into banking

It's like you faggots want to be poor.

The only people who complain about CS being shit are those who are shit at it and have no passion for it.

>Be Mech Engineer
>Learned all kinds of Math
>Look for job
>Only job is glorified tech
>Make as much as a machinist
>60k in debt
>plz kill me

Well, first of all think of studying something that contains things that you're good at, you can't just study a STEM degree whilst having shit grades in maths/physics/chemistry etc.

going to a JEWniversity will result in nothing but brainwashing, degeneracy and being cuckolded.

>tfw tricked

This, computer and data science will be the physics of our generation.