The Sopranos

I've just finished watching all episodes over the last few days, I had previously never seen an episode.
My main four take away points are
1, Long Term Parking is easily the best episode youtube.com/watch?v=mNgBf6VQbaY .
2, The ending is fucking shit.
3, The moral ambiguity that goes unpunished in the end is wrong.
4, The show tried to portray masculine behaviour as bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fg40R7EQlME
youtube.com/watch?v=qT2_EqSPTFo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I was diamonds when she was getting raped by the spic.

>The show tried to portray masculine behaviour as bad.

Not really, tony just had a weird conception of masculinity and hypocritically mocked others for being sensitive while seeing a psychiatrist and crying all the time, not a criticism of masculinity itself

Can you name one masculine character who wasnt portrayed badly?

>none of his take away points are Furio related

Shit taste OP

>That's an italian name

I've just finished watching all episodes over the last few days, I had previously never seen an episode.
My main four take away points are
1. DE BOSS MANEY
2. 20 fuckin' years in the can, not a peep
3. The man harbors a faggot
4. FUCKIN' QUEERS

Johnny Sacc

He ordered people to be killed.

>wanted to have someone killed for calling his fat wife fat and stirred up shit with an entire family just because he couldn't get the fuck over it

1. You're at least criticizing the show, unlike what most people do in these circlerjerks threads, and the series deserves for being so overrated
2. These are all pleb criticisms and wrong

I find it amazing how every numale has the exact same opinion about sopranos

it's like a hivemind, and they always have the adriana bitching as well. some day I might scavenge the archives just to put this shit together

I like Adriana, easily the most likeable female character.

She'd be much better without the obnoxiously long fake nails

1. To each his own, I liked that episode but I preferred pretty much every other season finale except S4, spoiler scene was an excellent headfake but there's better episodes
2. The ending is perfect
3. It doesn't really go unpunished, Tony's existence is one of decay and it's clear his circles are just going to keep shrinking until they become a noose
4. How the fuck do you figure that? They spent six seasons and almost every therapy scene hammering home that a core reason for Tony's behavior is his mother. If this is your argument, they made masculine behavior bad because the men were bad, that's retarded because almost all the characters were bad or corrupted. And the show didn't really make a point of it's characters being particularly masculine, it just had them behave like men, when they were vocal about it they were often grandstanding and full of shit. That's the point, they claim to be big bad tough guys but really they're just scum. Tony frequently talks about how there aren't real men around anymore, not like Gary Cooper/"the strong, silent type". This is a major fucking theme of the show, how it goes from the legendary Johnny Boy/Junior > fucked-up headcase Tony > snivelling manboy AJ, this is encapsulated by Paulie who basically makes the journey through those stages, going from a brawny man's man in the 70s to a weaselly, self-absorbed, childless prick in the present. Fuck you OP

UP IN THE CLUB

>tfw Tony never killed Paulie on the boat when he had the chance

>it's a New Hampshire episode

>Your wife was savagely beaten and raped
>Uh-huh
>By an Italian
>OH MARRON

Letting people talk shit about your wife isn't a sign of masculinity

>implying this shit doesn't get old after like season 2

there's only so long a story can keep going until it turns into a shitty soap opera, which is why movies are always the superior kino

debate me

Was Vito one of the stupidest fucks in the series?

>caught blowing a male security guard
>coming onto the boss's daughter's fiance several times
>willingly comes back into town after being exiled as a faggot and abandoning his wife and children thinking things could eventually go back to normal

>3. It doesn't really go unpunished, Tony's existence is one of decay and it's clear his circles are just going to keep shrinking until they become a noose
It's not though, especially when you take into consideration that he has no real consideration for human life or guilt for all of his misdeeds, he lives in a big house, has lots of money, has access to beautiful women whenever he wants them, his wife lets him get away with it, his daughter and son are, in the end happy and successful, and all of it is funded through immoral behaviour, murdering people, intimidation. He got away with it all and is going to continue living a happy life. The people who did the right thing in the end in challenging Tony's behaviour by going to the FBI were killed, Adriana got beat mercilessly and shot to death.
>If this (You) is your argument, they made masculine behavior bad because the men were bad, that's retarded because almost all the characters were bad or corrupted.
All of the most masculine characters were the worst, how can you not see that? They made a huge point about it. Vito, one of the more mild mannered of the captains was a queer, and the most soft of the captains, Bobby, never even killed anyone, they made a special point of it.

Yes, Vito deserved to die and he put great shame on the house of Leotardo. If anything Tony should have sanctioned the hit.

watch it Chrissy!

>thinking the majority of the people who flipped to the FBI in the series were 'doing the right thing' by informing and not just doing it to save their own asses because the feds threatened them with prison if they didn't cooperate
>thinking Tony's existence by the end of the last season was him 'continuing to live a happy life' and not him having to look over his shoulder for the rest of it

>and the most soft of the captains, Bobby, never even killed anyone

Am I being baited here?

There was a scene on the boat where they discussed it, see pic related.

Yes, and then Tony literally sends him to kill someone in the same episode

Ah fuck, well, I think overall the point still stands.

>his daughter and son are, in the end happy and successful

Let's just forget about AJ's suicide attempt.

>i watched the series first time and I have opinions.

Your like a little baby. Come back after your fifth watch.

UP IN THE CLUB

>in the end

I just want to relive watching sopranos for the first time

I don't get why he'd risk doing all that shit in public (like in the gay biker club) when his line of work had a fucking death penalty for it.

Can I get a quick rundown on the numale sopranos collective verdict thing?

It's a pretty fundamental piece of character development for Bobby and his relationship with Tony, user. Pretty big misstep if you want people to take your criticisms of the show seriously.

Vito was embroiled in the same 'toxic masculinity' as the rest of the family too, he doesn't get a pass just because he's a faggot. He kills some poor fucker on a side of the road after rear-ending him just because he didn't want to leave a witness, almost caves the New Hampshire diner owner's head in with a pipe after being called out for being gay and spends his free time partying at gay bars in New York and fucking other men, which is a direct parallel of the other mobsters regularly fucking mistresses on the side

>tfw might start my 6th viewing of the series in a few weeks
I'ce never watched another series more than twice besides this one

>UP IN DA CLUB
UP IN DA CLUB
>UP IN DA CLUB
UP IN DA CLUB
>UP IN DA CLUB
UP IN DA CLUB
>UP IN DA CLUB
UP IN DA CLUB
>UP IN DA CLUB
UP IN DA CLUB
>UP IN DA CLUB
UP IN DA CLUB
>UP IN DA CLUB
UP IN DA CLUB

Agreed. This show needed four seasons at the absolute most. So many shitty go nowhere arcs that could have been cut or compounded into 1-3 episodes rather than marinating for entire seasons (the Furio/Carmella shit, Vitos “gay new life“ in-series spinoff, the list goes on). Still an amazing show but less would have been more.

more importantly he cried like a woman during his daughter's wedding, he never was masculine. anyway masculine behavior is not what you faggots think it is

It was a mistake, everyone makes them.

This was the best episode in the entire series

I'm no expert like that guy apparently is, but there's definitely a trend of people hating the Sopranos because of its unrealistic portrayal of women like Ade and Carm (who are unironically two of the most realistic women in TV history, and I don't mean that in a bad way) as well as disliking the ending because of its """ambiguity""", when it's pretty fucking obvious that Tony got whacked and that's that. Also they hate Meadow and AJ for some reason.

Gary Cooper

How does this scene make you feel?

youtu.be/fg40R7EQlME

why were they implying that that guy was a faggot? (Can't remember his name)

>The ending is fucking shit.
ha ha haaaa

Because it added an extra layer to how much he overcompensated for everything & why he was so obsessed with getting Vito clipped over being a fanook

I don't think any character is portrayed in an inherently positive or negative light. They just are who they are. The show doesn't feel like it has to condescend to the viewer by saying "violence and theft are bad, mmmkay". It assumes we're smart enough to know that.

Interesting, and possibly right, but not by much. Maybe 5 or 5.5 seasons. The only thing that comes to mind as legit superfluous was the ep in 6B where Tony just loses at gambling a bunch. Thematically it was isolated and repetitive, did nothing for the story really.

Most everything else was important to character development. There me be a little chaff here and there though.

HE WAS A TOP EARNER

I think you're grossly missing the point.

>Carmella despite being an "ideal wife" who could stand up to Tony still was a hypocrite that was honestly no better than any of his goomars
>Meadow's hyper intelligence and independence was offset by her turning a blind eye to her father's actions to the point of becoming a mob apologist and likely mob lawyer while living off Tony's money
>Silvio was usually the voice of reason and strategy, but his physical actions strongly implied he was a psychopath underneath it all

This isn't zombie Simpsons. Sopranos characters, like people in real life, are hypocrites.

Each season is better than the previous.

>Carmella despite being an "ideal wife" who could stand up to Tony still was a hypocrite that was honestly no better than any of his goomars

Love this scene

youtube.com/watch?v=qT2_EqSPTFo

Life outside of crime was too much work for the fat fuck - that's why he went back. Because they're all addicted to the lifestyle.

There are tons of women in the world like ade or carm though. Anybody that has grown up poor or in the ghetto knows of or has personally dated a girl like either. I don't even dislike or give a fuck about nu males but that mindset just sounds like some "anything outside of my bubble isn't real" bullshit

Soprano thread whoo whoo!

They hate Meadow and Aj because they're like them. The only character I legitimately hate is Janice and that's the whole point of her, Livia is actually pretty funny and she can be an old bitch but she does care.

hypocrisy is honestly one of the biggest threads or "themes" of the show. And I think it's one of the reasons the show is so good--because people really are hypocrites, even if only a little (like Melfi), and because it portrayed the hypocrisy in so many ways/characters realistically and subtly.

Also, you'll not that "hypocrisy" contains "crisy", aka Chrissy. What did Chase mean by this?

PUERTO RICAN

Not crying, blubbering about babies in an attempt to improve his criminality and deceive the doctor since he's a sociopath.

TWENTY YEARS IN THE CAN

so good

>I preferred pretty much every other season finale except S4
But that's the best season finale except maybe season 2. Also Long Term Parking is the penultimate episode of season 5, not the finale.

That's too much, go outside or something.

This show is so great.
It actually made me feel pretty depressed in a weird way, probably because every character is a terrible and very real(that's crucial, I believe) person. The only other show that did it for me was Bojack Horseman. Mad Men will probably work the same way, still need to watch it.

Whatever happened to the strong silent type? Garry Cooper?

THAT was an American!