What is Sup Forums's opinion on gerrymandering?

What is Sup Forums's opinion on gerrymandering?

Is it legal?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering
static.oprah.com/images/o2/201412/LA-literacy-test.pdf
youtu.be/5wguuKpRJRE
marketwatch.com/story/45-of-americans-pay-no-federal-income-tax-2016-02-24
zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-28/what-if-only-taxpayers-voted
wikiwand.com/en/Arrow's_impossibility_theorem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland's_7th_congressional_district
youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo
youtube.com/watch?v=kUS9uvYyn3A
youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k
youtube.com/watch?v=Mky11UJb9AY
youtube.com/watch?v=uR2DfpjIuXo
youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE
motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/01/who-gerrymanders-more-democrats-or-republicans
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

"In the process of setting electoral districts, gerrymandering is a practice intended to establish a political advantage for a particular party or group by manipulating district boundaries. "

Redpilled?

Its very illegal
But its also very hard to prove
Both sides use it

Hit it on the nose.

Also, why not column-shaped districts in your example, OP? It would match the overall demographics perfectly.

>when the right does it
evil white racists trying to deprive hard-working minorities of their rights
>when the left does it
fair re-apportionment of voting boundaries to ensure that all people have a voice :^)

It's the best ways to subvert a nigger's vote without a poll tax

could always just have a literacy test

We can't even legally enforce niggers to have to bring their drivers license to the polling booth, how are we supposed to get a literacy test

Constituencies are stupid. If 60% of the people want blue and 40% of the people want red the house should be 60% blue and 40% red.

Nice try Oprah.

static.oprah.com/images/o2/201412/LA-literacy-test.pdf

No signs with arrows and directions to the polling center only being written in cursive?

I hate how the liberal media pretends this is something only republicans do. Even in OP's picture it's the red side doing the gerrymandering

That actually might work for an election or two before the rules get changed

>What is Sup Forums's opinion on gerrymandering?
>Is it legal?

depends

was it court-ordered gerrymandering?

"UH TWOINTON AND CHALLY WERE..."
"Bart , do you know cursive ? "
youtu.be/5wguuKpRJRE

elections are stolen by having dead people vote
apparently libs dont like people knowing this

Ultimately whoever has the power. Has the power to control. If the current power is corrupted. It have to be topple internally or by force.

America are you ready to topple the ruling power?

Redrawing the districts in strange patterns is an easy way to get caught. There's a much better approach.

1. Keep the lines where they are.
2. Take a section of the electorate that will vote exactly the way you tell them. Say, for example, blacks.
3. Build new housing units inside the districts where you want to influence the vote.
4. Use economic incentives such as government subsidies to relocate that voting block into these new houses. Give these houses a special name so they can be easily identified, such as "Section 8."

/thread
Democrats do this in every state that has more than 15 elects.
Look at a break down of California and New York.
New York as a state votes mostly republican by county, only NYC itself votes democrat and it's such a large amount it wins the entire state.
California does the same thing.
Cities with such a large amount of population of x or y will lead the entire state one direction no matter if 99% of the people outside the major city vote differently.
If we chopped up California, Democrats would lose every time.

I'm sure gerrymandering is set in the constitution because different states are worth different points, which an election is won based on these points, instead of just counting all the votes individually.

No idea about laws in Canadia, but in the US it is not only legal, for some purposes, such as creating minority-majority districts, it is required.

SHOULD it be legal or required is a different question.

>yea!!! equal representation now!!!
couldn't be farther from the fucking truth

>marketwatch.com/story/45-of-americans-pay-no-federal-income-tax-2016-02-24

>zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-28/what-if-only-taxpayers-voted

They got mad when the Republicans won so many state legislatures in the first Obama mid term election. Suddenly, the power to draw district lines changed hands. Can't have that; it is obviously only right and proper for the Democrat party to control election procedures.

Literally the only reason Republican party still has a chance. Majority of the population is blue

Liberals lie about gerrymandering. It happens very rarely. The truth is that liberals gerrymander themselves out of congressional districts by moving to dense already liberal areas. It is basic mathematics. Liberal cities are more liberal than conservative areas are conservative. If you are winning some districts by 30% margins, you are losing more districts by 5% margins. That is how math works. Take 100 people, 50 democrats and 50 republicans, and divide them into four districts. Stack one district with a bunch of liberals (20 D's and 5'Rs), then divide the rest of the democrats evenly (10 D's, 15 R's) in the remaining three. There Democrats just gerrymandered themselves out of representation. Understand?

This can be fixed easily by requiring that the shape of all districts be convex.

>section 8

Most states are gerrymandered to help democrats, even a lot of red ones. If you look at the electoral map, most of it is red with tiny dots of blue for the cities. The only exception is the north east, where there are few minorities abusing the welfare system, so the whites are ok with the safety net. If we had an electoral college where every precinct got a rep in the house of reps, it would never go blue again.

Sorry not electoral college, i meant house of reps.

Not Idaho. Our state has two reps and the district cuts Boise in half, which happens to house the state's largest (but not densest) population of liberals

With a set population known you can evenly divide any area in half until you hit your desired number within an area.

It makes for very fractal like districts but the math can't be cheated... unlike my picture.

That looks gerrymandered. I wonder whom it benefits.

Liberals gerrymander way more than conservatives. They have to because basic math says if things were done fairly they would lose districts disproportionately because they congregate in dense areas .

>That looks gerrymandered. I wonder whom it benefits.
Illinois?

I wonder...

popular vote should determine the president. thought this since i was in elementary school and still do

Obviously it's legal.

Why even ask?

are you serious fann?

Is this him?

Is this Jerry Mander?

Democrats are liars, what's new? "They're the people's party :^)))"

Don't forget the all important Tri State Tollway.

>American democracy

Gerrymandering is no big deal. We know from Arrow's impossibility theorem that there does not exist a "will of the people" that can be measured perfectly with voting. Every voting system and districting algorithm necessarily helps some people and hurts other. It's just the fact. You can be upset that your side is getting screwed, but that's different from being upset about the idea of biased districting in the abstract.

wikiwand.com/en/Arrow's_impossibility_theorem

>>American democracy
Democrats, actually.

>the uninhabited gap between 290 and 294 serves as a bridge for this wonky district
Why is this allowed?

I should have replied to you with this There are two highways running parallel there with an empty valley separating them.

Agreed, and I feel the same

FYI this is why we are actually a Republic and not a Democracy

There is an extra jump between our votes and our representatives, where the (((educated elite))) can decide that we don't know what's best for ourselves and change course

this exact thread was on here less than a week ago.

these bots need to seriously fuck off.

Gerrymandering is fine. How else would we get great elected officials such as Elijah Cummings?

it's fucking principal skinner

Maryland has the best Congressional Districts. If we could just get rid of those RACIST eastern shore people it'd be great.

Luckily she is going to prison soon

It should be illegal.

Sometimes it helps my interests, sometimes it hurts my interests. Either way, it should be illegal. What's wrong is wrong whether I benefit or not.

What do you mean, what, Leaf? It is shaped in such a stupid way purposefully to group it so that the minority wins.

Real gerrymandered districts look far worse.

>Its very illegal
No its not

Uncompetitive districts means candidates don't need to be good to get elected.

What are primaries?

It looks like happy merchant's clasped hands

Aren't these districts for local goverment, like county governer or whatever?

The House of Representatives

Those two areas are high in spics, so they are packed together so they don't influence other districts.

It's a republican gerrymander in this case.

Many states look ridiculous because of gerrymandering.

Here's Ohio

Still, local reps. Do you know who were the primaries contendors for your local congressman's office? I doubt it.

Pennsylvania is completely fucked.

Just look at this shit

>Do you know who were the primaries contendors for your local congressman's office?
Yes

>Pennsylvania is completely fucked.
Not really
They were able to keep the Dems out of office

Lets be real, a Sup Forums user's knowledge of politics doesn't represent the kjowledge of the average voter

The average voter shouldn't be allowed to vote

It is done by those that make tge laws. It sucks but it will be done.

youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

youtube.com/watch?v=kUS9uvYyn3A

youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k

youtube.com/watch?v=Mky11UJb9AY

youtube.com/watch?v=uR2DfpjIuXo

youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE

There have been several grass roots primary challengers that have won

Nobody is going to watch all of your gay videos

all dat hurr libruls ITT
GOP gerrymanders far more
motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/01/who-gerrymanders-more-democrats-or-republicans

It is legal. But the fact that it's legal shows that the USA aren't really a democracy.

>mother jones
Also I dont care
The house should just be eliminated anyway

Your pic related is totally false.
Dems make up 44% of the population and Reps make up 42%
Not 60:40
You retard.

no shit ahmed, we are a democratic republic

>Liberals gerrymander way more than conservatives

In terms of congressional districts, all of the most gerrymandered states with the exception of Maryland benefit Republicans. It's no coincidence since most of these boundaries were redrawn in 2010 by mostly Republican legislatures.

Also, it's Chicago and has basically packed together as many minorities into one district as possible while avoiding more affluent areas so even common sense dictates that this specific gerrymandering job was probably made by the GOP.

>USA aren't really a democracy.
We are not suppose to be.
Also gerrymandering is not incompatible with democracy
It is a reality of it
You need to draw the districts some how

It wouldn't be needed if white landowning heads of households were the only ones who could vote. But since we cucked ourselves out of that we need to be more creative with combating the idiocy of democracy.

Do you think the hispanics live closer to black neighborhoods or affluent white ones? If it is to suppress hispanic influence it was done by blacks so they don't have to deal with hispanics.

>tfw you live in an actual democracy

>It's a reality that politicians could and should be allowed to rig things to their favour
Literally would not be acceptable anywhere else.

u wot m80
How would that even have worked?

And look what it got you
No gunz and hate speech laws
Our country is only 60% white and we still have the least cucked government in the world

>Literally would not be acceptable anywhere else.
Your country elected Weedman

That diagram is fucking stupid. The right is actually MORE representative than the left. In the left, red gets no representation despite being 40% of the population, but it's supposed to be better because the districts are regular shapes?

>Your country elected Weedman
Because of gerrymandered political ridings.
I'm pretty sure Trudeau only got around 35% of the popular vote and somehow he got around 55% of the seats

So yeah. Literally unacceptable.

The problem isn't our democratic system, it's just that voters are idiots.

>the least cucked government in the world

>democratic system, it's just that voters are idiots
When have stupid voters even not been a problem in democracy?

Left shows how blue could gerrymander it so that they don't have to deal with red representatives at all and could just do whatever they wanted.

Right shows how red could gerrymander it so that even though a majority of voters voted blue, red would still be elected into power.

The diagram isn't meant to show anything other than the fact that anyone can rig the system if given the right tools

We have our problems but yes
The rest of the world is way more fucked up than us

Districts should not adjust for population that way they would never have to be redrawn

Alright I'm sure you're just baiting now
Take your (You) and be done with it

It works for the Senate

I'm with him.

>yes goy there are a 400 million communists in this place on the other side of the continent

Nah. Leaving it up to states means it's harder to completely corrupt.

>s since i was in elementary school
because only a 5 year old would think its a good idea