Why aren't western comics popular in Japan?

Why aren't western comics popular in Japan?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/XcMWY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not enought fanservice.

Because the Japanese have higher standards.

To give an example, one of the few western comics to ever get even a cult following there is Hitman. It took literally the best comic ever made for the Japanese to even notice that it existed. They're too used to comics that are actually competently written and competently drawn, so they look and the garbage that gets published in the west and just immediately dismiss everything by association.

Too much diversity.

I don't know a western comic with at least 90% blacks so I dunno why you said that

At first thought the guys on the right were Ollie, Lance And Canary, before I realized it was Snart, Michelle and Glider

Also why the fuck are anime characters always floating around in mid air?

Arent capeshit movies popular over there? The boring answer is that long running western comics are notoriously difficult to get into for outsiders. Japan is used to a work drawn and written by one individual (or a small competent group) with a focus on consistency, telling one linear story. Comics are a clusterfuck. Character personality and even backstory vary depending on the writers whims. Progress is ret conned, art is anything but consistent, and though there's technically a point of origin for each character and story, you have to read about a thousand other comics released over the span of 50 years to get there.

*Mick
Not Michelle

Austism time: Why not just say American comics when thats what you really mean?

Just say superhero comics user because that's what everyone else is think you're talking about.

The guy who wrote Rurouni Kenshin was a huge Marvel fan, which is why RuroKen has characters whose designs are based off Gambit, Venom, and Apocalypse.

Capeshit movies are pretty popular. There's baymax stuff all over the place.

they allegedly love spider man

>Why aren't western comics popular in Japan?

The same reason bollywood movies aren't popular in America.

they love spider man and batman, dontcha know

i mean western comics aren't popular in the west

There's a cult following but it's usually for DC and Marvel A and B-listers.
Limited accessibility+lack of translations could be a reason.
The western comic stores there actually do have free comic book day surprisingly.

It's Disney user
Disney's huge

Hitman only got a following there because of Dogwelder and a fan translation

A lot of Japan's iconic "superheroes" (i.e. not Goku or Naruto) are Live Action (Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, etc.)

It's because he had a tokusatsu and two manga there.
They also like bugs.

>Naruto and One Piece are the most popular comics in Japan
>"High standards"

Naruto ended two years ago
Make way for fucking Boruto

You forgot Bleach.

>not wanting to embrace proletariat taste

Yes, they're popular among the otakus, but they aren't among the rest of people, shonen is not as read as you might think in Japan

The guy who made Yu-Gi-Oh is a westaboo whose favorite western comic is Hellboy
Bleach actually had a huge drop in popularity over the years.

what do normal people watc/read in japan then?

Never forget
imgur.com/gallery/XcMWY

>One Piece
>Not popular in Japan
One Piece Film: Gold made almost $50 million in Japan alone. Pretty sure it's popular.

>shonen is not as read as you might think in Japan
The stats disagree.

>the Japanese have higher standards
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>implying anyone in this world can claim superior taste over anyone
they probably saying very similar things over there

Nips have shit taste: news at eleven

Are Marvel/DC comics even localized in Japan?

japanese spider man is pretty based

Stylistic and art direction choices are too different for them, also the lack of mythology or historical references that relates to them. Japan art and designs also tend to be better

He's the reason Toei put giant robots in Super Sentai.

The women are drawn like women and the men are drawn like men

Japanese like manga because everybody is feminine and the waifus all look underaged

Could you really imagine an insecure Japanese guy waifuing someone like Wonder Woman?

Also, strong female characters tend to trigger them, watch any Transformers Western series that gets shipped over there, they always fudge with the female characters who in the west are strong warrior types and in one case turn that character into a shota male, and in another case turn her into a ditzy airhead

They aren't unpopular. However, due to the coloring and paper they're printed on, they're more expensive, and the Japanese have their own, more diverse manga, of course. So they just aren't as big a segment of the market. That doesn't mean they aren't liked.

Damn Americans always want a bigger slice of the pie.

Nationalism and xenophobia.

'Tis the main reason tho

Shonen is the only genre that makes money anymore, aside from anime and manga that exist to pander to otakus (looking at you Love Live)

>Stylistic and art direction choices are too different for them
Are you saying they don't like it because it doesn't look like anime? Because the original Teen Titans cartoon should've been a hit if that argument held water.
>the lack of mythology or historical references that relates to them
As points out, Disney is huge in Japan and there are very few references to Japanese culture or history in Disney works.
>Japan art and designs also tend to be better
Looks like somebody didn't read the thread.

I was gonna call you on your shit because
>manga
>high standards
But I noticed you just meant "higher" and objectively Japanese strips are superior to western's. You still a faggot though.

All their desire for autistic power level bullshit is sated by DBZ.

>Nationalism and xenophobia.
>Implying these things don't exist in the West.

>Japanese like manga because everybody is feminine and the waifus all look underaged
So you obviously don't know what you're talking about

They have their niche.
Grayson and Gotham Academy were the first and third places, I think, in their biggest popularity contest.

>spider man actually changed stylistic direction
spider man of all people is someone i do not associate with robots, and yet this is wesome

>the whole state of (you)
Shonen is as casual as you can get in Japan, nigger. The comics you mean are followed by hard otakus and whatever the hipster equivalent is for the japanese.

Because they have their own comics. LOTS of them.

No that's not what I'm saying it's exactly what said

This is it

>the whole country of memerica
>half of Europe
Nice bait. Tell your mom's rapefugee I said hi.

Also because they already have comics about pretty much anything the it over in the west and then some

What does have to do with ?

that is pretty awesome

You're right user. Everyone in America and Europe loves refugees!

His first sentence that they have their niche and usually don't explore much out of it

Because
They can make their own western comics

The giant robot in Samurai Pizza Cats was heavily based on Leopardon, too.
>"Okay, development's done, let's get into production."
>"Wait, Bandai says we need to put in a giant robot."
>"A what? Aren't those flight packs enough toy fodder?"
>"No, we need to make a giant robot, stat."
>"Shit. Okay, what sort of robot should out cat hero pilot?"
>"Didn't Spiderman have a robot that transformed into a Sphinx and stuff?"
>"Yeah, let's go with that."
>You know. wouldn't it be funny if the hero never actually got to pilot this damn robot? Like if every single episode, some contrived distraction or inconvenience prevented him from boarding it."
>"Brilliant! That'll show those bastards at Bandai."

>9 main rangers
How else are they changing the formula?

Female Green, 4 of them are non-human

>4 of them are non-human
Nice

>The japanese have higher standards
kek. Then how come they never created a manga series with art as good as Alex Ross's or writing as good as Moore's?
How come they like shit?

You stupid faggot, Shounen is the only genre NOT liked by only Otakus

So chinks are casuals.

Because they do it better.

Why create something just as good when they can make something 100 times better. Both the people you mentioned are mediocre and shit compared to what Japan is packing. This also is better than anything the West has produced

Because they're not about sports.

How come Japs seem to draw anything outside of a generic animu style and hate everything that isn't in that style? Even Magic the gathering had to get it's perfect art shit on for Jap shit taste.

Alex Ross? Really? You think realistic painting of models is what consists of 'good art'?

And Moore.

Your tastes are sophomoric as shit.

But this is true

Except the west is Liberal and accepting

>Damn Americans always want a bigger slice of the pie.
Well obviously.

Then how come you can't think of a better example you self hating weeb?

Why aren't good western cartoons popular in Japan?

No, it's not. For the first statement
>Japanese like manga because everybody is feminine
Then what would you call this

He posted an image of a manga for the example.

Look at this pathetic weeb hipster.
>Something is detailed so it's bad
>Watchmen isn't good guise!

The image I just posted was the example you retard. It's like you even see things right in front of you

A manga based on western values that isn't even that popular in Japan since all of it's adaptations are made on shoe string budgets.

See, shit like this is why you are juvenile as fuck. Nowhere did I say they were bad, I was saying that you considering them the pinnacle of the field implies that you have very little range in your tastes and can only accept one specific metric as 'good'.

But it doesn't look better.
I bet you think the classic Renaissance artists are bad too.

For the second part you've obviously only been looking at generic bottom of the barrel moe anime
>the waifus all look underaged
Then what is this

What's the theme here? The scorpion tail and scales on gold's head suggest zodiac, but there's only nine of them, and there aren't any zodiac signs the others make think of. Constellations, maybe? It would fit the stars on their chests.

When did I say they were the pinnacle? I just used them as an example.

Sophomoric as shit examples, which any idiot getting into the field would make.

>WHERE OR WHERE IS THE JAPANESE MOZART? WHAT IS THIS JPOP SHIT?

>Japs are so much better, 10 times better
>I suck tiny chinese dong!
>Don't you dare prove me wrong!

>Still can't post an example of anything that is better
Sorry my choices weren't hipster enough for you weeb.

>A manga based on western values that isn't even that popular in Japan
Yeah there's no hope for you
>since all of it's adaptations are made on shoe string budgets
Those are two entirely different things, look at One Piece, most popular anime in Japan and it still looks like QUALITY in most parts. Besides, it's required for Berserk fans to suffer as much as the characters do

Not him (or either them)
user calm down
Two of those posts were just trying clear misconceptions. It's no different then showing how not every western comic is capeshit.

>Berserk wasn't heavily based on the west
This denial.
>B-But one piece
Still has a much higher budget for it's cartoons than CGI shit.

>muh cartoons are better than your cartoons
Stop making cringeworthy generalizations because you feel the need for everyone to know how much better your favorite countries comics are

Weebs shouldn't make claims they can't back up.

But he posted two examples of how not every Manga protagonist is a twinky fuckboi or every waifu looking underage.

Not trying to get in this argument
What would you consider to be the pinnacle for the West?

I was talking more on the fact that it isn't popular in Japan which so laughably wrong that I think you might be autistic
>Still has a much higher budget for it's cartoons than CGI shit
Still doesn't change the fact that it looks like QUALITY, you act like budget means something. Or would you like more examples of popular series with bad animation

Those are exceptions to the rule.
It's a cultural thing but they like their fuckbois.
They even know this by having American characters be strong and big.

The japs do like manga where everyone is feminine. The manga that have manly men aren't the rule, they are the exception.

So you've never watch anything from the 90's below or present and have only seen slice-of-life moe shows from pictures on the internet and memes, because that's the vibe i'm getting from you
It's not an exception, it's a genre; a demographic that still is large in Japan