Okay so I'm confused is Duncan a replicate or not?

Okay so I'm confused is Duncan a replicate or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A-oh-tP6RvA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Duncan seems like a cool guy

plebs say he is

patricians say he isnt

Duggerd fugg robits :DD

It doesn't fucking matter, it's Scott being fucking retarded also why would you make a weak replicant if he's supposed to kill replicants aka stronger and smarter humans.

like deers in the vein

yes

maybe

>Not realising that they all are and there are no real humans left.

Ducker is an advanced robot

Does it matter?

Probably but not necessarily.

what if the Alien franchise and the Blade Runner franchise take place in the same universe, how many xenos did Roy fight?

He's a half human, half Vortex 12 replicate.
The Tyrant Corporation was secretly developing hybrids to infiltrate and take over a dying earth. Duncan and Rebecca were test models, to see if they could fool both humans and other replicates. Duncan realizes that Rebecca is a hybrid, but only discovers he is one also right at the end. And they run away and live on a maggot farm together (Maggots are a symbol of life born from death, which is why Duncan dreams of maggots throughout the movie).

>when you realize "blade runner" doesn't mean anything

He isn't he's just intentionally acts robotic to confuse the audience.

Hes most likely autistic.

In the book? no. In the movie? eeeeeh its up in the air. Dick hated replicants, saw them as soulless monsters. Ridley thought they were superhumans and admired them.

Presumably he has specifically more human features so that he can move amongst them, and also must be generally convinced that he himself is human.

Not sure what's so wrong with making Dekard question his own humanity.
It's the central theme of the film, and it's not handled distastefully.

It adds literally nothing to the story if he is a replicant I don't understand why people think this

Because he needs to be human for the arc to work.
>man starts killing robots
>man gradually loses his humanity as the weight of killing robots destroys him
>man regains his humanity

or

>synthetic humanoid android is tricked into thinking he's human and forced to hunt down his own kind
>begins questioning the humanity of the androids he's hunting
>realizes he himself may be one in dramatic irony

reading this post damn near gave me an aneurysm

There is literally no evidence Deckard is a replicant beyond fanwank. Not only that it goes against what Phillip K Dick has stated before on the subject and what Harrison Ford has said about how he played the role and argued with Ridley Scott about.

I honestly believe it detracts from the movie.

No evidence but Deckard doesn't seem that sure

There's likewise no evidence that he is NOT a replicant.

It's intentionally ambiguous.

To be honest, him being a replicant in the first one wasn't the impression I had at all
Nothing hinted at it, it's literally Ridley's personal headcanon

An artist inspires thought instead of giving away intent

didn't you read the 2049 crawl? it implies that blade runners are replicants and have always been replicants

it also sets up Deckard as a foil to Roy
>human is emotionally callous and unsympathetic
>Replicant cares for his comrades and has sympathetic goals

Kills replicants and don't afraid of anyone?

And due to the fact there is no proof I'm going to go with the words of the author and the fucking actor that played him.

It still bothers me that nobody had the guts to say no to giving it such a meaningless name.

And the words of the producer as well. Ridley Scott is a senile old hack.

It's one of those stupid gotcha twists, like "and then John was a zombie."

That's fine.

It's a perfectly reasonable interpretation, as is the possibility that he's a replicant.

Actors and writers don't necessarily get to define how we interpret movies though.

Ridley has done dumb stuff, and some decent stuff.
Making Dekard ambiguously a replicant doesn't ruin the movie, and offers another interesting way to interpret it.

Ridley's a hack, Deckard isnt a replicant, 2049 is a better movie than the original

I think it's best if there's a possibility that he's a replicant but it's not confirmed since it matches the theme of blade runner

Exactly. Ridley is honestly dumber than the people who see this movie as perfection in terms of storytelling realize if he can't understand why THAT works, not "he's a replicant too WHUUUAHT A TWIST!"

Ohh ok I think I get it now

post duncan kino

youtube.com/watch?v=A-oh-tP6RvA

>Ridley's a hack
The Duelists
Alien
Thelma & Louise
Gladiator
and Blade Runner
are all good films. He's made a good amount of classic films for a hack.
>Deckard isnt a replicant
Still ambiguous even with 2049
>2049 is a better movie than the original
Debatable, but I'm inclined to agree

Deckard being a replicant makes the entire movie meaningless for the sake of a "tweest".
No one gives a flying fuck about a robot learning to not hate robots.

THE POINT ISN'T

>Is Deckard a human or Replicant

THE POINT

>What difference would it make?

>Deckard being a replicant makes the entire movie meaningless
>No one gives a flying fuck about a robot learning to not hate robots.

What?
How?
They both do the same thing, making the character question what it means to be human.

dude like what if everyone was a replicant but like no one knew or something right? like can you imagine hahahahahaha

But why can't the director understand this? It's so much deeper than an M. Night tier "twist".

>gladiator
please
the rest are all good to great though.

Did we watch the same movie?

Wallace spells it out for Deckard and the audience saying something like " What if you were bred for that one day to lay your eyes on her and fall in love. Didn't it feel so natural"

Deckard gets a worried look on his face like Wallace was confirming a bunch of his suspicions and says"I know whats real"

>no mention of Black Rain

That still not really explicit.

Wallace clearly wants something from Deckard and is definitely attempting to mess with his head.
He could easily be bluffing with him.

This whole discussion really kind of defeats the point of the movie.
The messiah character literally explains that your feelings are what make it real.

That's open ended to interpretation, he could have very well meant the same thing if he were human

yeah deckard knows he's a replicant he's saying he knows that the only thing that is real, that counts, is the experiences you have in live

if I didn't hear people talk about it then it would never really cross my mind in the movie. Seemingly the police force wouldnt hire a replicant on earth in the first place.
>but muh unicorn
I just assumed he was fantasizing about being away from the gross city and in a nice forest and that its "fantastical" to think that
and Gaff gives him a unicorn at the end to let him know he was there.
not that he knew every fucking random daydream his partner had.
(if anything the unicorn meant he was free and origami version was just Gaff saying go ahead and be free, he wasn't going to chase after them)

The etymology of the term "blade runner" is revealed to come from the German phrase bleib ruhig, meaning "remain calm." It was supposedly developed by the Tyrell Corporation to prevent news about replicants malfunctioning.

In this universe it would be very important to clearly show that a main character is a replicant, and delve into that mindset like 2049 did
Since BR didn't do this, there is no point in saying he is a replicant, because his emotions and actions never reflect this
Deckard's child has no soul if both of the parents are replicants, so Deckard being a replicant draws off any significance of that aspect

If Ridley Scott was completely aware under the making of BR that Deckard was a replicant, he'd damn well make sure to bring that as a plot point or atleast hint at it

I don't mind the ambiguity. It can lead to interesting discussions about the movie, its themes, and what it means to be human. I do mind that Ridley had to shit it up.
I personally like to think that he's human. I like the idea of a human relearning what it means to be human from an artificial being that yearns for the life he takes for granted. The replicants having more humanity than the real people fits the motto "more human than human."
An interesting thing to note, all the humans are referred to by their last names (Bryant, Tyrell, Holden, etc) while replicants go by their first names (Roy, Rachael, Leon).

Dennis is like Neo

>Deckard's child has no soul if both of the parents are replicants,
Bit of a logical hiccup there, if the Replicants can have kids at all then they're capable of creation and therefore birthing a soul.

Isn't the whole is Deckard a replicate thing suppose to make you question what it means to be human? It was a detail in DADOES that most bladerunners would refuse to take the Voigt-Kampff test because they know themselves that they would fail it.

Maggots are the key

deckard knew K was a blade runner the first time he saw him, he even shoots K first without him even pulling his gun. Why would he do that if he didn't thought K was going to retire him? even K says "I'm not here for you" or something like that

That just raises further questions. Like, how does the term blade runner inspire calm in citizens, except in the way that a police man would? They still know there must be a replicant on the loose if they see one. How do people know that German connection? Why didn't Scott spend more time ironing out the writing than making pretty sfx? The world may never know.

He is human but I legit think Scott just wanted to fuck with people because he felt there wasn't enough in the movie to make audiences doubt him being human. The ambiguity is more important than the answer, but all the autists can't handle that so there is always people flipping their shit over it.

I think that's debatable

What about a factory machine assembling other factory machines, that doesn't mean they have souls
It's a spiritual debate, a soul is something that is god-given, and two machines technically don't stem from god

alex murphy is a cyborg you moran. cyborgs eat baby food

That poster is just as misleading as the title.

replicants are not robots REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
even wallace is more cyborg than any replicant

Deckard was on the run for how long? I think he would have shot at anyone he thought hostile

If he's not a replicant what is the significance of the unicorn?

This. Only Ridley pushes the replicant meme. Literally everyone else involved with the movie, including Ford himself, rejects the idea.

STOP THIS NOW

so they wouldn't find out about his daughter? is that why he sat for a drink with K to 'ask him question'(which should be the trigger to kill or to get killed to not reveal anything about his daughter) after K made it clear he wasn't going to hurt HIM? he was protecting his own life mate

the original premise of blade runner came from a meth head reading the private diaries of nazi jew hunters. He would read the phrase "bleib ruhig" in English and in his mind it said "blade runner"

This entire thread reminds me of the time I showed an ex Blade Runner and the stupid cunt said it was "nothing special" but then when some teacher of her told her about the miniatures and all that shit I'd shown her was when she started saying that it was one of the best movies ever made.
Women really are a meme.

>DUDE like it's like open for interpretation like it really makes you think I love nolan movies
without a frame work (deckard being human or replicant) we can never talk about the ideas of the film, instead we'll forever argue whether he was human or replicant

initially he was protecting himself from either being taken in for questioning or being killed

he knew K wasn't "after him" after hitting K several times that if K wanted to, he could have taken Deckard by force

>Women really are a meme
Hiw long until I can get my own Joi or Luv?

>It's intentionally ambiguous.

It's not though. Scott added a lot of the "hints" in post or decade-later recuts, which annoyed Hampton (screenplay), David (script), and Harrison (actor) as they all had done their work with the assumption that he is a human; only the guy who blocked the scenes and bossed around the editors thinks Deckard being a replicant is a part of the subtext.

I know and hate that feel. You have my sympathies.

Plebs say he is
Plebs say he isn't

Patricians say the question simply doesn't matter

>they all had done their work with the assumption that he is a human
You're going to detest reading this, but if you think about it that is exactly how you'd engineer a perfect Replicant, is it not?

It can't come soon enough my frogposting brother.

I can respect that perspective.

>on the run for 30 years trying to hide the existence of your super important daughter
>blade runner comes around wanting to ask questions
>can't kill him and if he takes me in they'll eventually find out everything
>he lets me hit him in the face a couple times
>sit down with a glass of whiskey and spill the beans casually

Why would you want women around? Is it more comfortable to be alone?

This

I was expecting people running with blades when i stepped into the cinema

can relate to much, but with my brother.

He didn't reveal any information that K didn't know, he didn't lead them to the daughter or the resistence

In fact K left thinking he was still the son

OP asked a question and we are answering it.

Why is entertaining an idea considered "OMG YOU MiSSED THE POInT IT S DEEPEr"

At least information pertaining to the daughter's whereabouts, he did reveal himself and his motivations

see

>on a razor edge
>in a very uncertain and dangerous situation:

he confirmed the existence of the daughter, and got himself in a situation where they could get any info out of him. Even if K left thinking he is the son, that would lead people to deckard, as it did.

I don't, that's why I'm asking how long it is until I can replace them with a perfect replicant or hologram-fu

I would literally be ok with this

Guys i saw it yesterday, this movie was weak. There was a lot of good but also a lot of bad. I wish Ford wasn't in it and i wish the story was more about K.

they chase replicant "runners", I don't know where the blade comes in though

The point of him running away and hiding in the first place was to protect her

He already lost the trail back to the daughter and K didn't even realize it was a daughter