Christopher Nolan's Top 15 Favourite Films

how many have you seen and do you agree with any of his choices?

litemovies.com/christopher-nolan-15-favorite-films

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=96CjURtZUgg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's obvious that a man who makes only kino would watch only kino.

>Spy Who Loved Me
wow I actually have some respect for Nolan now.

Such a safe and predictable list.

Interstellar basically used the soundtrack from Koyaanisqatsi, makes sense.
youtube.com/watch?v=96CjURtZUgg

I don't know why, but I was expecting Excalibur when I opened this thread.

thats zack snyder

thats Guy Ritchie.

no wonder he sucks at shooting action sequences

I've only seen 8/15

>2001
>alien
>blade runner
>james bond
>superman
>12 angry men
>thin red line
>koyannistqatsi

does that make me a pleb?

Holy fuck, what a fucking pleb. It makes sense that red.dit: the director has literally red.dit: the taste.

The last 4 films in that list are barely mentioned in reddit.

Why would you know what's mentioned over at Reddit?
The entire bottom row is barely mentioned on Sup Forums

He is a man of good taste.

niceeee

unfortunately, it doesn't show.

Koyaanisqatsi is a divisive film. People either revere it as kino or think its contrived trash. I definitely recommend watching it, though I'm a bit biased since I'm definitely in the kino camp for this movie.

>dunkirk
>keno

You watched 2001 which automatically makes you a pleb

Thats interesting that Koyaan is on there. Zimmer stole the ideal of Bbbbbbrrrmmmmmm from a Michael Stearns composition in Chronos (1985), a similar movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hans was the one who introduced Nolan to Koy, seeing as how the main character in those films is music.

What a couple of hack frauds.

U U U U

>Love Blade Runner
>Let other director make the sequel when it's plausible he could have done it.

got cucked by his Warner Bros contract kek

Why does bottom right looks like anti-kike poster from the 40s ?

probably is

Shit taste, no wonder his movies are terrible.

What does an unsafe and non predictable list look like? Just bad movies?

>seeing a film once no matter the context indicates plebness

pure kino list

I've only seen bladerunner and alien.
How kinoseur am I Sup Forums?

very Sup Forumscore

The man knows his kinos.
Before the production of Dunkirk he screened to the entire crew and cast The Wages of Fear as a film that he wants to be closest to while making Dunkirk. And after I saw the film I completely saw why, it has more in common with The Wages od Fear than let's say Saving Private Ryan.
Execution is everything

Something with divisive films on there, throw in a Dancer in the Dark somewhere, choose lesser known films

>no anime
what a pathetic philistine

So I can join the cool kids now?

Cry more you retarded manchiid.

only you hipsters feel the need to lie about your favorite films or those you consider to be of the highest quality just so you can stand out.

The ones that I haven't watched are:
The Hit
12 angry men
The testament of Dr. Mabuse
Bad timing
For all mankind
Koyaanisqats
Mr. Arkadin
Greed

It's the most generic list imaginable but LOOK FIRTZ LANG THAT MEANS I'M A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE AND MY LIST ISN'T LIKE THE OTHERS

So you're saying someone's favorite films must be something unknown or something divisive. Why are you being such a homosexual hipster?

No, I am saying that would make a list less safe and predictable, which was the question.

Ok, how about this question. Does it have to be unpredictable or does it just have to be his favorite movies and that's it?

It has to be his favourite movies, but I would expect a famous director to have better taste than that

Favorite lists only need to contain the films an individual likes the most, regardless what others think of them. Those who put obscure garbage or highly acclaimed films, just to impress others and show off their dicks are fucking retards and don't care about the medium.

Maybe you're the person with bad taste. I mean he is the famous director whose favorite movies are also very much well-liked by most people. And here you sit calling his choices bad. Hmmm really makes me think.

For all mankind
Blade runner
Alien
Thin red line

Some good kinographys

Most of the movies I would list are highly acclaimed though.

>popularity = quality
heh

>Quality = liking
Heh.

>Heh.
lul

For you.

All my normiefriends thinks that I have a really good grasp of movies. When I tell them I know better than Chtistopher Nolan, then they all believe me. I tell them that while Nolan think 2001 is one of his favorite movies, I tell them "haha he is a pleb", and they are in awe of my superior knowledge about movies. After all, I know that 2001 is a movie that he shouldn't like, and he doesn't know it himself, so therefore I am much more knowledgable than him with movies. In fact, I can't fathom why he is allowed to create great-tier movies while I can't even get my foot inside a hollywood office. It really says it all how dumb hollywood is, because what they should've done is let me make their movies. Then Nolan and his other famous director friends could sit there and watch my movies and they wouldn't even understand them because they would be so great and of such a high quality that they can't grasp what they just watched. I'm just saying, guys. But since they don't let me make their movies, I guess I can sit here and at least post my WAY superior list of favorite movies. That's right, I said it.

1. The 400 Blows
2. Neco z Alenky (Alice, 1988)
3. Winter Light
4. Ordet
5. Koyaanisqatsi
6. Dr. Strangelove
7. Eraserhead
8. Belladonna of Sadness
9. Tetsuo
10. Harakiri

Debate me

None of those are good

>implying you've seen more than 3

You got me, I just wanted a (you)

I'll give you another one, plebfriend

Thanks brother, i'll take a look at the ones you posted and watch the ones that interest me.

Don't really want to, but I will answer you with my top 10 (as of the moment) and you can think what you will of it. Btw it's not put in a special order.

1. Jurassic Park.
2. Judgment at Nuremberg
3. LOTR-trilogy
4. Heat
5. Good will hunting
6. Back to the future
7. 12 angry men
8. ET
9. Die hard
10. The dark knight

Btw I would've put band of brothers there if allowed, but it's not a movie.

This is blockbuster 101. They're all decent, I definitely enjoy some of those, but only 12 Angry Men and LotR are good.

Why Tetsuo and Eraserhead?

They're just my favorite movies, not the inner critic in me-list.

I agree, those are his favorite movies. Anyways, basic stuff, it actually explains a lot.

>Heat
>not good
???

I'm surprised he didn't include any of his movies, with "the next citizen kane" instead of the title.

>Truffaut
>Lynch
>Kubrick
>post-50s weebshit
Ordet and Winter Light are the only great films on your list and they're entry level as fuck

He is just being a typical "I can tell you which movies are objectively good and which are not" kind of guy.

Surprisingly, everyone of them seem to like LotR.

Sup Forums has better taste

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Sup Forums. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of obscure film most of the jokes will go over a typical viewers head. Theres also Sup Forums's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into its culture - its personal philosophy draws heavily from Voltaire literature, for instance. The anons understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that theyre not just funny- they say something deep about FILM. As a consequence people who dislike Sup Forums truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldnt appreciate, for instance, the humour in Sup Forumss existential catchphrase "Was getting caught part of your plan? which itself is a cryptic reference to Nolan's superhero epic "The Dark Knight Rises". Im smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Baneposters' genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Bane tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. Its for the ladies eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that theyre within 5 posts of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel hothead

idk, Creed was good but I liked the original Rocky more.
Strange poster tho

Eraserhead because it tried to make me uncomfortable and disgusted, and it absolutely succeeded at that. The famous eraser dust shot (are there more than one?) is also great cinematography.

Tetsuo is simply a great revenge film, plus I love the score. It's probably the worst movie on the list but I like its experimentality. Also pic related.

>Alice not great
>Kubrick and Truffaut are bad because I know their names
>the weebshit not good
Nice try, pleb

The shitposting version was unironically better.

I thought I was the only one on the plane to actually watch Greed.

Eraserhead is great and was an interesting experience, but I prefer Fire Walk With Me.

What I love about Tetsuo the most is that it feels like a movie made by Lynch and Cronenberg if they ever did a collaboration.

Explain why tetsuo is on that list and how is belladonna of sadness? I've been meaning to watch that one.

Not that guy, but Belladonna of Sadness was neat and phenomenal visually.

Only visually?

Alice is whatever, nothing great. The weebshit is amongst the worst weebshit, nowhere near the best films to come out of Japan. Kubrick and Truffaut are Godard-level hacks.

>how is belladonna of sadness
Its style is unique, the drawings are stunning, and although the style does make it feel slow-paced I found that the story kept me engaged.

>Explain why tetsuo is on that list
It was probably my first real experimental film and as such I fell in love with it when I watched it, I haven't rewatched it ever since. As I said, I love the soundtrack, the structure of the story is pretty standard but its execution and actual content are pretty silly which has a nice uniqueness to it, and some of the visuals were also great.

I'm sorry for being so bad at putting my feelings into words, I'll never be a good critic personally

it also has substance, worry not.

can you elaborate or are you going to go by buzzwords all day?

that sex scene was hilarious

What would you say are the best films to come out of Japan?

Also I'd see your equation of Kubrick and Truffaut with Godard as a good thing, although the latter has made lots of mediocre movies besides his few masterpieces.

I pretty much agree on tetsuo but it never really stuck with me all that much. It made me actually feel repulsed so that's a plus.

I'll take your word for it, the artstyle looks so good

1. Sicario (2015)
2. Inland Empire (2006)
3. Stalag 17 (1953)
4. 28 Days Later (2002)
5. Bringing Up Baby (1938)
6. The Fugitive (1993)
7. The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
8. Trainspotting (1996)
9. Take Shelter (2011)
10. Ratatouille (2007)

My entry-level top 10, someone recommend me films like The Talented Mr. Ripley and The Fugitive.

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Save The Green Planet!

>What would you say are the best films to come out of Japan?
Ugetsu, Floating Weeds, Late Spring, Sansho the Bailiff, Floating Clouds, Cruel Story of Youth, The Insect Woman, Nobody Knows, The Burmese Harp, Humanity and Paper Baloons and Woman in the Dunes

Godard has only 3 good movies, no masterpieces. Truffaut and Kubrick have a handful of movies, no masterpieces. Truffaut and Godard are the most overrated French directors of all time, nowhere near comparable to Bresson, Rohmer, Malle, Melville, Chabrol, Renoir, Resnais and Assayas

>The Fugitive (1993)
Good choice.

>The Talented Mr. Ripley
Have you seen good will hunting and rounders?

>The Fugitive
US.marshals is the sequel to The fugitive. It's not as good but still pretty good in my opinion.

Purple Noon, Le Samourai, Army of Shadows, Rififi, Elevator to the Gallows, Carlos, Le Deuxieme Souffle, La Grande Illusion, Touchez Pas Au Grisbi, La Traversee de Paris

>there are other people on this basket website who love Tetsuo

Impressive

I've seen some of those, thanks for the other recommendations.

Bresson is a meme hack :^)
Seriously though, I'm sure there's better French movies than the 400 Blows, but I was listing my favourites. Same goes for the Kubrick one, it's not an absolite masterpiece but it is a great film, and if you can't admit that you're just going against the grain.

>it's a Sup Forums tries its hardest to come up with the most obscure films for its dickwaving contest

This is so fucking pathetic. This is barely better than girls who brag about who has the most trendy purse. You're all fucking women too afraid to actually admit what you like so you do this dickwave shit. In truth you're just looking at the most obscure so nobody will make fun of you if you write something people are aware of.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Sup Forums. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of obscure film most of the jokes will go over a typical viewers head. Theres also Sup Forums's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into its culture - its personal philosophy draws heavily from Voltaire literature, for instance. The anons understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that theyre not just funny- they say something deep about FILM. As a consequence people who dislike Sup Forums truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldnt appreciate, for instance, the humour in Sup Forumss existential catchphrase "Was getting caught part of your plan? which itself is a cryptic reference to Nolan's superhero epic "The Dark Knight Rises". Im smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Baneposters' genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Bane tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. Its for the ladies eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that theyre within 5 posts of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel hothead

>obscure
>Any of the movies I listed besides MAYBE Belladonna of Sadness and Alice

>Kubrick has no masterpieces
Eyes Wide Shut exists.

>any of the movies posted
>obscure
elige uno

He's saying the opposite, that the movies are too good.

Here are my favorite films, not ranked because i don't have 1 absolute favorite
Once Upon A Time in America is also included but not shown