The prop department made a fake tree for Arnold to carry during this scene, but once they took it outside the sun...

>the prop department made a fake tree for Arnold to carry during this scene, but once they took it outside the sun, the light shining off the fake tree made it look unrealistic and plastic looking. So, they cut down a real tree and Arnold carried it around for 2 hours while they got the shots they needed.

based

Other urls found in this thread:

multiglom.com/2010/07/04/schwarzenegger-the-1986-interview
healthland.time.com/2011/03/21/do-people-really-make-life-decisions-based-on-their-names/
csus-dspace.calstate.edu/handle/10211.9/853
theguardian.com/science/2007/apr/29/theobserversuknewspages.uknews
youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is Commando one of the best pleb filters?

BOOOLSHEET

it just about grazes B-movie aesthetics with how over the top it is, practically bordering on parody, but still has an engaging plot with Jenny's life on the line. Even Bennett in his woolen vest still nails that psycho angle and makes you fear for her safety.

You forgot to mention Bennet's...

>5' 8" frame
>beer gut
>skinny girl arms

He's one of the most hilarious villains

And yet despite all that he has one of the best showdowns with Arnold, the way his eyes turn to little creepy dots in that final fight scene still gets me
>I CAN KILL YOU JOHN!!

Remember when I said I'd kill you last? I lied.

What do I smell here?

I love the goofy bastard, pretty sure he was going for unhinged and he achieved it without even chewing the scenery too much, apart from maybe that final scene but it was still great

Why was his name John Matrix?

tell me why the score is not 10/10. I mean I know its only a 30 second steel drum track but its great.

Because it sounds cool? Also probably because the movie is a jab at the seriousness of the Rambo movies, they've got John Rambo, and he's got John Matrix, one fights in the jungle, he fights in the concrete jungle.

Love how they arrest Arnold for breaking into that military supply store but forget about Rae Dawn Chong and the rocket launcher. Do they get in trouble at all at the end? No.
>Old military guy: Don't worry kids, we'll clean up here. Enjoy the boat and all the guns you stole.
>Alyssa Milano: Cool a new mom.
>Upbeat 80s rock plays

RDC was a babe, also love this interview
multiglom.com/2010/07/04/schwarzenegger-the-1986-interview

>The comic relief in Commando comes mainly from the female lead, Rae Dawn Chong, who says things like, I dont believe all this macho bullshit, as the bodies hurtle past. This is also a far cry from Ramboworld, where the female character is introduced primarily so that she can get shot and give Rambo something else to grit his teeth about. Arnold and I begin to discuss the role of women in action movies.
>In most action movies the women are in the way, says Arnold. We always intended to have Rae Dawn Chong as being the funny, kind of bubbly girl, as just the innocent bystander, and whoops whats going on here, theres a bullet flying by, type of thing. She was always meant to be that. And then it works, if she has a real job in the movie. But if you try to throw a woman in there just to have a love scene, youre wasting your time, because it doesnt sell a ticket.
>The Jewel of the Nile works, says Arnold, because there is teamwork between Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner from the beginning. Runaway Train, in which Rebecca de Mornay plays a female machinist, does not work. Linda Hamilton in The Terminator works. She becomes the hero at the end and all that. That is terrific. Give the woman the ultimate responsibility. But dont throw her in. As an object. To sell tickets

>Parents: Tommy Chong, Maxine Sneed
????

u dumb as fucckkk, they probably drilled the log hollow, instead of making a plastic one

Is this the most underrated arnie-kino?

on a rewatch it's a solid 7, has some really great moments like your pic and when the mobsters get word Russians are operating on their docks without permission. also Vanessa Williams was hot.

>drilled the log hollow
That sounds extremely complicated to be honest, and I doubt it can be done spontaneously on set.

Hilarious but effective. Is there a better kind?

Hey, can anyone have a nickname? Do you earn it or buy it or is it just something cool you do for yourself? I was thinking Id call myself something like "DEADPOOL" (its a Marvel reference) but idk if I have to download an app to get a tripcode.

Thats what happens when you don't do mans work in your life, you become delusional faggot who thinks drilling a log hollow is complicated thing compared to building a detailed plastic model

Decent action flick but you're grasping at straws calling Commando anything more than a mediocre action flick

I think its good that villain looks like a regular or even non-threatening at first

Like begbie from trainspotting. You see him wearing that pink sweater, tennis socks and loafers and those daddy-mustache but in a second he is slicing an innocent man with switchblade

>Maxine Chong (formerly Sneed)

As a kid, I thought he was scary, as an adult, yeah he's a short ass with a beer-gut with knitted chainmail was amusing but he still looks like a deranged lunatic

he starts shitting bricks and becoming more unhinged as arnold gets closer but does his best to maintain and at the end loses all coherance. good performance

>Arnold knocks him into an electrified fence
>well that's the end of tha-
>bounces off it and starts pummeling Arnold anew
He definitely wasn't a joke when it came time to rumble.

Did you even read what I said? The point of the story in the OP that the plastic model was prepared in advance but failed on set, so that they had to improvise. As someone who has worked as a props master on a movie (admittedly, a low budget one--around 500 000 euro), I don't think "drilling a log hollow" sounds like a practical solution that can be done spontaneously on set (some lumberjacks with giant drills can't just appear on a movie set out of thin air). And I have actually done "man's work" in my life, ironically I even had to cut some logs myself for a movie I worked on.

>an engaging plot with Jenny's life on the line
Kek. No.

I carry logs this big daily. Have you guys been around lumber before?

Wow, you really changed my mind with that hot opinion.

A fresh cut tree of that diameter would be pretty fucking heavy to carry for hours. Like, you have to have Arnie tier physique to pull that off.

>be jacked dumb cunt
>get asked to carry a tree for few hours
>based
srsly ppl carry heavy shit for there whole lifes, 8h per day. Dont really see anything based about that.

actually most western countries have regulations on how much you can carry and it's usually not more than 40kg per man.

nobody really cares about those restrictions @ need to carry fridge that weight 90-100kg, 2men job, they arent going to give you extra fag.

Why are all action hero's names John?
>John Rambo
>John Matrix
>John Connor

I like how everyone ignored this literal 10 year old

or they could've just gotten a regular log and let it dry up because Arnold would've been easiyl able to carry a dry log of this size

>John McClane

couldn't you just carve a deep furrow into the tree on the side not facing the camera? I agree drilling a hole through an entire tree would require a bit unusual tools but this one only requires some basic woodworking equipment

>leaving out the best part

>but the real tree was too light for arnold and it looked annatural with how much easy he carried it around so they had the tree hollowed out and filled with lead

>begbie
>a villain

You have to be 18 and over to post here.

WHATS DA MATTER? THEY GOT YOU CARRYING TOO MANY GIANT PENCILS?

>bordering on parody
>bordering
It's an action comedy.

>Did you even read what I said
Nope because you are using a trip

oh fuck ahahahahahaha

Not him but someone as unhinged as Begbie isn't exactly a prime candidate for citizen of the year. For all intensive purposes he is the villain. And only edgy 19 year olds like yourself would disagree

WE FIGHT FOR LOVE

How the fuck would you even drill a log hollow without some kind of industrial, specialized saw?

It's too hard to do on the spot with none of the preparation.

Drying takes shitload of time user

you're right the casting was truly a blessing in the sky on that one

John Wick

Bravo, Thor

There is a plethora of articles about names, healthland.time.com/2011/03/21/do-people-really-make-life-decisions-based-on-their-names/ csus-dspace.calstate.edu/handle/10211.9/853 theguardian.com/science/2007/apr/29/theobserversuknewspages.uknews

and many many more

But bottom line if I remember right boils down to 2 things.

1) Is a familiar name
2) Is an inoffensive one.

> chewing the scenery
Yes, very Kafkaesque bordering on lovecraftian

i think they hollowed out the log tho

Try reading the whole post next time.

He definitely is villain in trainspotting. Maybe not in "epic" or "traditional hollywood" sense but villain anyway

ERBLICKEN DER UBERMENSCH

It was a hollowed out log that weighed about 125 lbs after being hollowed out. Prior to gutting it the weight was about 525 according to reports, and while Arnold was in great condition in those times when that movie and some others were made, carrying 525 lbs on a shoulder simply wasn't going to fucking happen by anybody on the planet, and not even today would that be possible by anyone.

or simply just saw it in two length wise, carve both parts hollow and reattach the pieces to each other and angle the log in a way that doesn't show the seams
that way you don't need super specific tools for the job

>Chong's Schlong and Dong

P O T T E R Y
O
T
T
E
R
Y

WE HAVE JUST FOUND THE TRUTH BEHIND SNEED?

DYEL?

It was a fake hollow log you stupid cunt. You know how much a real log that size weighs? Arnold couldn't carry that, and if he could he wouldn't look so relaxed. He even admitted it.

>>Chong's Schlong and Dong

no

WHATS DA MATTER? THEY GOT YOU PULLING TOO MANY PENISES?

Now this is what I call b8
The long con

right is obvious meme wood, like balsa wood, while left one is real wood

lets not celebrate mediocrity, this isnt the american education system

>Commando is mediocre

wouldn't that be slippery as fuck

>Runaway Train doesn't work
Oh, he's clinically retarded, okay.

Fuck off, tripfags are cancer

Fuck you it's the best 80's action movie

Yes. All the wannabe artistic faggots on here can't handle it. Too much genuine action for their capeshit brains

That log weights like 100lb.

underrated

For what he's about to do next, it needs to be.

KEK

who are you quoting? Because that is a prop dude

Bodybuilders of that size aren't strong, they can't lift heavy. They use roids and lift light weights with lots of reps.

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

Odd that they did that considering he was famously hench and all. I wonder if this was one of those yarns invented for publicity.

I miss old Arnold.

Cuck Arnold is the worst.

I am a logger who works for Rygaard logging. I carry lumber like this everyday and it weighs around 500 pounds.

t. Chaser

is that gun crooked or bent?

truly the darkest timeline

Arnie looks really weird in this movie.