Star Wars sequels

I'm not into the lore and whatnot, but the Rebellion won right? So what are they now called the Resistance? Who are they resisting if they run the show?

Why is the First Order meant to be made up of the remnants of the Empire but is more powerful than the Empire was somehow?

lol just turn ur brain off

They are resisting Trump presidency and patriarchy. Also white supremacists from the First Order (this was literally said by one of the people involved in the movie)

Probably this is why najority of non americans didnt get wtf is happening in this fucking dumb movie.

Rebellion won and set up a government. A powerful space warlock named Snoke used magic to brainwash kidnapped populations of ungoverned outer rim planets to build one fleet and a base on one planet. They used this to mount an offensive, which the New Republic was largely unprepared for because they had demilitarized in hopes of ending war. Leia was not as hopeful so she kept an army. Does that make sense?

Disney movies are not Star Wars sequels.
Disney movies are not Star Wars movies.

#DisneyAssholesKilledHanSolo
#DisneyNotStarWars

NO TIME

you're just creating headcanon fanfic to cover up disney's talentless hack writers.

Because Disney are soulless hacks who calculated that remaking the original trilogy would be their safest bet from a marketing point of view, and threw logical, consistent world-building and chronology out the window. They are also pathologically bent on avoiding absolutely anything that evokes the prequels, so say goodbye to exposition, politics, or discussion about anything abstract beyond blowing up giant spherical battle stations

No, that's what happened, it was in the movie. Finn explains he was kidnapped, there are many direct references to conditioning and brainwashing, Snoke is definitely a dark side user who specializes in manipulation (being that his army all has to submit to reconditioning on a schedule), and there is a Demilitarization Act by Mon Mothma in the lore, which is evident anyways by the fact that there's no army but Leia's, which the title crawl explains is hers and not the Republic's.
Can you provide any sources that explain what you wrongly assumed about the movie, while thinking 'this is reddit this is memes' the whole time watching?

None of this is made obvious and coherent in the movie. We didn't need much lore or backstory in episode IV because it was such a self-evident, simple premise (rebels vs evil empire). The problem with episode VII is that it follows a really decisive, conclusive ending in Return of the Jedi, in which the good guys comprehensively win. We are given next to no explanation of how things got so bad that the nu-Empire now has the upper hand over the Republic. Pointing to off-screen explanations in the books and comics doesn't excuse how the film itself made very little sense. What they wanted to do was to avoid the mumbo-jumbo of the prequels and return to the basics that everyone loved about the original trilogy, but they were arrogant to assume that no one cared about the intervening period between episode VI and VII. Ironically they skate over so much backstory that the film ends up making as little sense as The Phantom Menace

Almost none of that is ever directly mentioned. You're filling in the gaps because there's an actual lack of explanation in the film.

>Finn: I'm not Resistance. I'm not a hero. I'm a stormtrooper. Like all of them, I was taken from a family I'll never know. And raised to do one thing. But my first battle, I made a choice. I wasn't gonna kill for them. So I ran. Right into you. And you looked at me like no one ever had. I was ashamed of what I was. But I'm done with the First Order. I'm never going back. Rey, come with me.
Finn clearly explains here that 'like all of them' he was kidnapped and raised to kill for TFO since before he even had memory of his family. When he takes off his helmet, Phasma tells him to submit to reconditioning, then alter when he rebels she references his psychological training record.
Snoke is definitely a powerful force manipulator who Leia directly says coerced their son into going to the dark side and joining TFO years ago.
>With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.
The opening title crawl directly says Leia's army is its own thing called the Resistance, and it's on its own mission
We are only ever shown one TFO planet, and one large star destroyer with TIE fighters. Starkiller Base and Jakku are nearby and Jakku is specifically said to be a backwater planet that Han Solo doesn't even think about.
Anything else?

Again, we are given next to no explanation of how things got so bad that the nu-Empire now has the upper hand over the Republic. Why is the Republic supporting a ''resistance'' instead of just using its own military? Why is the Empire more powerful than ever despite being decisively beaten at the end of episode VI? Why is there not even a single scene that explains what happened in the last 30 years that lead up to the present situation? The line in the opening crawl explains fuck all

>Didn't get a Disney Star Wars
>Despite more than adequate exposition
You truly are the plebbest of plebs.

>Disarmed to end war
>Fags think they can end war
Retards. Also why the hell do I have to go read this crap online? Why isn't it explained in the film?

This is true. Star wars is sjwized by Disney

Hux's speech says the people of the Republic, or the senate whichever, want peace instead of war so the formal decision is to let the First Order dick around in the backwater of the galaxy instead of having an all out war.

The Empire isn't more powerful than ever, they have one hidden superweapon that they put all their resources into so they could pull one surprise attack. They did not know about Starkiller Base until Finn told them. It was a secret superweapon. Snoke's plan was to build one big gun and fire it, that was the events of the movie. The First Order is not 'more powerful than the Republic', they just spent time making a secret weapon to destroy planets from far away. In the speech where they fire Starkiller Base, Hix explains that this was their main labor that they have been spending all their effort on. It's just a big hidden weapon, nothing about Starkiller Base or The First Order implies they control anything in the galaxy except the Base and the few backwater planets around it. This entire story takes place in neglected, backwater space. Ham Solo doesn't even think to look there when he had been 'scouring the galaxy' for the Millenium Falcon. It's very much like someone building a dirty bomb in some forgotten warehouse outside of New York. The only thing that made TFO powerful is that they had one big weapon. All they ever do is attack civilians and perform a hit and run attack on Maz Tanaka's palace to recover BB-8 but they took Rey instead. They were immediately chased off by Leia's Resistance Army. TFO gets beaten in every encounter where they are opposed, their only success is in attacking unarmed civilians. They are not large or powerful, they merely had a big gun and they had to hide it so it wouldn't be destroyed.

Hux calls them complacent in his speech, and that it was TFO's duty to punish them for it.

Cause that's not vague as crap. Plus they don't talk about where the first order came from it's just
>Look new versions of Storm troopers raiding a village
>Resistance instead of rebellion
>But there's a republic too that doesn't really help the resistance
>Where did it all come from
>Gotta buy the books so Disney can get dollars

so do you think we'll get the second starkiller base next episode, that will be said to be non operational but then Snoke will say it's fully operational?

>Being this autistic
They are star wars movies whether you like them or not.

you idiot thats not til episode 9
this one is the one where the first order strikes back against the resistance and destroys their base, leading the others to flee while rey learns from a wise jedi master who tells her she cant leave but she does anyway because emo mcdadstayoutofmyroom has captured finn, jew flyer, and chewbacca

It's liberalism. Liberals don't want people to inspect liberalism too closely, so diversions must be deployed. Instead of depicting a conflict within liberalism (the revived republic), TFA presents a flimsy foreign invader that's simultaneously all-powerful with limitless resources, yet suspiciously easily defeated. Hux, Kylo Ren and Snoke are not charismatic or imposing. They're two stormfront nerds and the racist old uncle, and the movie wants you to laugh at them despite presenting them as a credible threat.

The First Order popped up sometime around when Kylo Ren fell to Snoke, and destroyed the new Jedi in the years between TFA and RotJ.
No it's not gone over in painstaking detail, but the fact is the movie occurs in an obscure part of space and is told from the limited perspective of just a few characters who are being subjugated by this fringe army. It's about their story dealing with a threat people hardly know about until it's too late. It doesn't take place in the galactic core and it doesn't take place in the senate, the movie begins with a rolling start and any viewer who doesn't assume shit is able to pick all this up with the basic context clues I've explained. There is nothing in the movie to indicate that things are at the same status quo of the original trilogy, like you thoughtlessly assume. You talk about it being the same as the old movie and everything being dialed back to being identical, but that's not the way it is, that's not what the movie shows, and you're the one who saw some TIE fighters and a star destroyer and couldn't seperate it from the original movie and starting making shit up when the movie was telling you otherwise. You repeat 'it's not enough' to shit that's actually in the movie that rebuffs your wrong guesses, as if you would have preferred a documentary instead of a space adventure about its characters dealing with a newly emergent radical threat. Now you explain to me why what you wrongly interpreted is true, because I've explained myself clearly over and over with direct evidence from the movie and all you can do is veto it by saying you didn't notice even though it was all there. You tell me why you believe TFO is a wide spanning Empire, and why you don't accept that Leia's Resistance is just her own force independently dealing with them. Or you can plug your ears to the content of the movie some more and whine 'this is reddit this is memes' some more. The movie is not flawless, but it's all there.

>TFA presents a flimsy foreign invader that's simultaneously all-powerful with limitless resources
Cite your sources.

To the guy explaining the movie to these brainlets: You're doing god's work user. The movie wasn't that hard to follow. A lot of Sup Forums comes off like OT purists. I get it, it was a rehash, but people here literally reach for holes to fit their stance.

I feel like they made the first order too strong since it negates what they accomplished in the OT. But regimes don't fall just because the emperor was killed

>So what are they now called the Resistance? Who are they resisting if they run the show?
NO TIME TO EXPLAIN

THE FORCE IS FEMALE NOW

>build a machine that literally harvests the power of a planet to unleash unparalleled destruction
>destroyed because of a maintenance shaft

how's that for a reference you fucking kike?

So? It's how Star Wars movies go, they go in and hit the weak spot same as always. How does this bombing run ruin the movie for you? Your complaints are so flimsy when you didn't even understand the string that was presented to you.

Hitting the re-set button was a lazy and easy way to make whites to be the super-evil all over again.

They weren't strong, they lost every fight they got in and all they had was one big gun they were able to fire once and then was completely destroyed, and because of an internal defection no less.

It was explained in the title crawl. The Republic is the government and Leia had an army called the Resistance which fights the First Order which is an upstart attempt to reform the Empire. They are resisting that uprising.

Brush that chip off your shoulder, retard. This movie shows that stormtroopers and officers are multiracial, including the person who pressed the button to fire the Starkiller Base to be a black woman. Their boss isn't even fucking human. You are so far up your own ass.

dear user, there is more consistency and cohesiveness in Episode 1 than there will be in the entire new star wars trilogy.
You're asking good sensible questions, and no one, not even Disney story execs, can answer you. The real reason for such nonsensical nomenclature is the marketing department taking over nearly everything at Lucasfilm. The first order had a better focus panel response than old empire. Same thing with the new republic and the Resistance. It's all about marketing now, not the logic within the cannon.

Cool your autism. It harvested the power of the sun. How are they
>all powerful
with
>limitless resources
They got they're shit kicked in. Did you even watch the movie? Or are you just here to baselessly shit on it through hearsay?
Also this

Keep telling yourself that. It's explained in the movie and it's explained multiple times in this thread. It's notable how people are incapable of arguing when people explain the movie without either deflecting or pointing out that they don't even remember the contents of the movie.

>Why isn't it explained in the film?
Because JJ Abrams is a hack and a terrible storyteller. It's the same reason there's
>no explanation as to why Rey can wield a lightsaber well
>no explanation as to why the lightsaber 'calls' to her
>no explanation as to how Kylo Ren turned
>no explanation as to why C3PO's arm is red
And so on and so forth

>ignores the big emphasis on white nazism among the empire

>ignores how Dindu Nuffin was captured and enslaved into the empire as a sprog

It was regular Nazism, nothing to do with race. The hero cast, meanwhile, was a white Resistance commander, a white Jedi trainee, a white smuggler, and the strongest force user in the Galaxy is also white, then there's a black guy and a Spanish dude. If you have a problem with this movie not defending Nazism then you're retarded. The Empire were originally Nazis anyways you ideological simpleton.

Why call it the Resistance when you're part of the Republic? Why not call it something sensible like "The Republic Vanguard" or something like that?

There's a reason why Disney hit a big fat button that reset the entire universe to pre-ANH. They don't care. They just want to milk on nostalgia.

Because she's doing the right thing and she's not scared. Anyone can awaken infinite potential when they're doing the right thing, the force was with her because she believed.
Same as above. The force had chosen her as its hero because she believed, which was repeatedly shown by her faitg and willingness to fight.
Snoke appealed to his desire for power and desire to inherit the will of his grandfather, remember when he prayed to Vader's helmet? That was Kylo explaining his motives in plain English.
Literal autism. He simply explains he got a new arm, it's a gag about how no one cares, but I guess you feel robbed of your 'why did a robot get a new part' storyline you reaching faggot.
Do you ever think that when you have to ignore and entire thread of counterarguments, you might have a shit point?

What is the force?
See above. "These are your first steps Rey"
We also had no idea who or what Vader was in ANH.
Also no explanation as to why his leg is silver in ANH. It was explored in a C3PO one shot

I honestly don't ever defend TFA. But the arguments presented in this thread are just utter horseshit.

Yeah they want to bring Star Wars back, so they made it like Star Wars, god forbid. People who work together to fight off an occupation are called a Resistance, she formed it after her son fucking murdered all his friends and empowered an enemy's violent uprising. She's trying to resist that uprising.
What is your autism about the name Resistance and why is it unacceptable that Disney made a Star Wars movie that's like a Star Wars movie?

Dude, this has got to be a bait thread. I don't understand why everyone wants to hate this movie so hard. Is it because it's cool to like SW now? Sure it has plenty of flaws but it's SW. Each of them do.

>so they made it like Star Wars
Except.. bad

>I honestly don't ever defend TFA. But the arguments presented in this thread are just utter horseshit
I would never bother to defend it if these people didn't make up the most broken arguments and flip a shit over nothing. The movie is fine, I wouldn't even say it was great, but it was totally fine, and a reasonable exercise in making another normal Star Wars movie. However for some reason people who can't even respond to an argument and who have to pretend things weren't in the movie feel the need to cry havoc and say shit like that it was an attack on their race. What the fuck people? Pull yourselves together and quit arguing how much you missed that everyone else completely understood.

But literally every other jedi had to be trained, and lightsabers 'calling' to them was never a thing...they were always built by the wielder. TFA used the Harry Potter 'wand chooses the wizard' logic.
It was never explained how Snoke got a hold of Kylo since the only thing we are meant to assume is that he was being trained by Luke. How did Snoke get to Kylo if he was under Luke's tutelage? It's an open book, we're just meant to shrug our shoulders and go "dunno, that happened somehow I suppose!"
As for C3PO's arm, it's stupid for the same reason just slapping a red panel on a TIE Fighter and calling it a new ship is stupid. There's no reason to do it but they did it anyways because yknow...

Again, jedi were ALWAYS trained and were shown as being trained in the films.
They changed a character without explanation and the audience shouldn't need to go searching for outside explanations as to why something is a certain way in a movie

You have to fucking admit there are huge chunks of story missing from RoJ to TFA. The entire ending of RoJ, the pay off the saga is nulled and we're supposed to be fine with it. No. They don't get away that easily. If they're going to nullify RoJ, atleast properly build up towards that. Instead Disney presses a quick doomsday button and boom! All the boring politics people are gone and we're back to ANH status. This is dreadful storytelling and also an insult to the OT.

The reason why I poke fun at the name "Resistance" is that even though it makes no sense for them to call themselves that, it's obvious Disney chose that name to make the story as similar to ANH as possible. It makes no sense, but they went with it anyways because they just wanted a shitty remake of ANH.

If they wanted to make a proper sequel - look what Villeneuve did to Blade Runner. 30 years later and he retained the same atmosphere and story but also organically built on it with a logical conclusion and more worldbuilding. All that missing in nu-Star Wars. It's just poor fucking fanfic. They're too lazy to even write a new story.

You guys are either too dense or autistic to see how idiotic you sound.
Abandon the thread man I was right. Even if it's not bait it's not worth the brainpower.

You get some proper answers and you're just gonna handwave it as autism, fuck off shill

the insinuation is that they are all powerful because they are portrayed as maniacal geniuses who created a death ray out of a planet.

They subsequently get their shit pushed in very easily.

Meaning that there wasn't really a credible threat at all. What's hard about this concept to you?

Ok? You can atleast admit that the ending of RoJ is made null with not enough story build-up? For fucks sake ANH starts with the Republic being the underdogs. They're ones hunted by The New Order. Shouldn't it be more like we see the New Order start as a small organization that slowly starts to corrupt itself back to a power? This is how you do it while also making sure the ending of RoJ is satisfying. But instead Disney outright overrode the ending of RoJ and just reset it all to ANH status.

The fact that they were so insecure and renamed Leia's group as the "Resistance" too remain the association of "rebels against Empire" is just insulting. They could've easily wrote it in a way that makes sense but they chose not to because they knew people were going to be blinded hard by nostalgia.

Also, fact of the matter is that Rey and Finn simply aren't that interesting. Rey had some potential but Finn is acting straight outta Marvel film. The only character of note seems to be Kylo Ren but even then Disney can't stop themselves from forcing unneeded quips in his scenes.

Luke trained for like a week and literally all Yosa did was tell him to believe, that's it. The force has always been in the mind, but I guess you missed the entire point of the OT and Yoda's teachings because you literally think the force is about sword swinging and attack power and not zen mindfulness. Brainlet.
Also Kylo was shaky and torn apart inside, he was losing power the entire movie and was broken up at the end after murdering his father for dubious and ineffective reasons. He lost because he was wrong about what gives people power. He was notblessed by the force.

>He was notblessed by the force.
The Force isn't neccessarily a force of good. There is definitely a dark side to the Force. But you are right that Ren was mostly unstable after killing his father to prove himself evil. Kylo is actually a decent character. The only truly original character in the nu-trilogy.

>Luke trained for like a week and literally all Yosa did was tell him to believe, that's it.

And he got his ass kicked. Fuck off Disney shill.

It wasn't made entirely null, the Empire was still destroyed. Literally the only thing that was nullified was that some unknown unnamed capital planets were destroyed, and there is now 1 (one) TFO fleet with no planet out there floating around in space, having fled after being defeated. A part of this movie is that you can't just be complacent and rest on your parents laurels (like Kylo Ren did, assuming he was a big boss because his daddy was), and that you have to be awake and capable of fighting and doing the right thing in a new generation.
I expect we'll get more about he interim in the next movie, though really it was covered decently enough. They build a new government with a smaller army, and Luke tried to start a new Jedi but was ruined after one of them turned to the dark side like they always do. It's not a whole movie's worth of explanation but it's enough to set up a new adventure for a new generation of Star Wars characters. Sure RotJ's victory was downplayed and ultimately defeated, but it's not like there was never going to be another war, and that it wasn't going to be dark side vs light, which is the yin and yang of that universe.

He is a good character, and his internal struggle made him weak just like it did for Luke.

We're meant to assume Luke's training was extended and we're meant to believe most of his serious training was done between the span of TESB and ROTJ and that he is technically still being trained, hence why he goes to Dagobah in ROTJ.
He was also shown being trained how to use a lightsaber by Obi-Wan in ANH, and he was shit at it. They made a point to show the audience that he couldn't do it without attuning himself to the force.
>he was not blessed with the force
He's still a Skywalker. It was implied both in TESB and ROTJ that Leia was force sensitive, but since she was never trained, she never developed her abilities. Kylo would be force sensitive due to his bloodline and he also had training from both Luke and Snoke.

Kylo is force sensitive but he's a torn-up self-hating ball of anger who's become out of touch with what the force actually is. The dark side is self-destroying and short-term, Kylo thought killing his father would reconcile his doubt but it really worsened his state to such a point that he couldn't think clearly, so when he tries to subdue (not kill her) in the final fight and he gives her a moment to consider his offer of training, Rey is able to take a deep breath and find that Zen state within all of us that brings her in tune with the true, good force, and she is able to turn around and subdue the ideologically defeated Kylo Ren. She had faith and confidence and was doing right by the universe, while he didn't. That's why she won.

It makes sense when explained like that, but I've seen TFA a few times and I always felt like that wasn't expressed well outright. Maybe I need to watch it again and look for those signs a bit harder.

Yeah that's what they were doing for. Notice how Kylo is a nervous wreck who becomes increasingly unstable as he continuously fails and finds out that he's not the master he thinks he is. When he kills Han Solo he says 'i want to be free of this pain, but I need your help', as he cries. Han thinks he is asking for rehabilitation, but Kylo is actually asking Han's permission to let him kill him because he believes if he rejects the light within him then he will become fully one with the dark. Remember when he prays to Vader's helmet he says he wants to be free of the light, and Leia says she knows there is good in him. Both Kylo and Leia know that he is not purely evil and that he is in conflict with his true good nature. Killing Han does not work to purge Kylo of the light, afterwards he is more broken up than ever because he is not the evil warlord he thinks he ought to be, he's a human and the good force embraces all. He merely has betrayed his true nature and further spirals into doubt and fear, which ruin his clarity and leads to his defeat in the face of the clear-minded virtuous Rey.

why didn't the first order just ride the eagles into the new republic?

Because they were busy at an away game against the 49ers.