twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why does the asian have a greek name?

DIS is starting to win you over. Admit it

She was adopted

Why is Picard British?

ENDING WAS SPOOKY

Did you guys see Tuvok's dad in that meeting? That was so fucking cool

Reminder: The future belongs to Africa

>Acting Captain needs a computer to decide for him if he's made of the right stuff

Why do we have Starfleet Academy exactly?

This is a good show. I just really, REALLY wish it was its own IP, and not Star Trek.

>decker

>"computer, show me the best captains ever, living and dead"
>only shows captains the audience has heard of

epic

>STD
>winning anyone over

>feels insecure because of a nobody who only matters because she is the protagonist of the show

He is not, he is french. The actor is british.

Consult
if at a loss for conversation topics, please.

But the academy isn't just for captains. It's for all officers.

Fuck off, autist.

>terrible writing with unlikeable shit characters
>good show
wat? if it wasn't for the brand no one would be watching this garbage

the only thing that stands out are the production values which are bound to drop, especially considering how much fucking money they waste on useless shit like that uniform materializing or all the overdesigned crap

Funny that the other show is more star trek than STD

>Mudd gets introduced
>LET ME TELL YOU THE STORY OF MY PEOPLE

Is this a fucking JRPG? What kind of writing is this? Why have an irrelevant exposition dump like that?

Episode 5: Choose Your Pain
>THE GOOD
- Harry Mudd
- The rest of the cast was finally able to do things and make decisions and show personality. We're finally getting to know these characters, and so far, I'm liking them.
- I like how Saru deduces that it's Lorca in the ship.
- Lorca's backstory is great.
- The bit with Lorca and the torturer (was that L'Rell?) was pretty good.
- Stamets definitely got more interesting when he put his life on the line. Glad they didn't just kill him off quickly before we got to know him more (like they did with Landry).
- I like the creepy ending.

>THE BAD
- "So fucking cool." It didn't ruin the episode for me, and I'm glad they are trying to add some levity to the show so it's not all grim, but just no. Not like that. I don't want to hate Tilly.
- We didn't get hardly enough of the Klingon torture.
- Ash is a gibbering mess when we first meet him but then later he's totally fine. I wouldn't call this a plothole or wrong, but it is jarring.

>THE RATING
This is probably the best episode so far in the show. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. I'm hoping future episode follow this one (which it seems might happen, given the ending of this one looks like we're going to be focusing on Stamets next episode).

>THE FINAL OBSERVATIONS
This episode highlights what a poor choice it is to have Michael Burnham as the main character. It's very telling that, the moment the show stops treating her like she's the center of the universe and has other characters be important and do things, the show gets better. Hopefully, they keep this up, keep sharing the spotlight, and maybe improve the Michael character, make her more likable and more interesting.

I don't think any more names are necessary, it's not as if they are planning another prequel to a prequel.

>Philippa Georgiou
>She earned an impressive list of commendations during her career, including the Star Cross and the Legion of Honor. She was also awarded a diploma from the Laikan Military Academy on Andoria for Advanced Interstellar Combat. (DIS: "The Vulcan Hello", "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry")

guess that advanced interstellar combat didn't help much, did it?

>people are together in a prison cell
>have nothing to do but share stories

that was horrible. Another moment that irked me too was then Tilly, Michael and whateverhisnameis were working together and they started talking about things that they should know by now, but in a expositive way. It didn't feel right for the characters, it was solely for the audience. Very shitty show

> being this new to Star Trek

Yeah good thing we've been in this cell together for all of 5 seconds. I better tell you EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED TO BROUGHT ME TO THIS POINT.

His character felt so out of place in this grimderp world they are trying to build as well. Still unlikeable as fuck though, like every other character.

Yeah, people will start telling their life story within 2 minutes of your first meeting

>starfleet, the exploration/science/military branch of not only a united Earth government, but of countless advanced alien worlds
>the best of the best are 5 names, and they all happen to be known to trek fans

why would it be a stretch to have captains that havent been covered? in the 100 YEARS between ENT and STD, there wasnt a single captain as good as Matt Decker?

bullshit

Not really, buddy. In all the other series they talk about what they're doing like professionals. These idiots weren't discussing it like professionals, they were exposing facts like retards for the audience's sake

Because you need to cram in as many references as you can.

A fucking Gorn skeleton.

Yeah, they really do when they've been cooped up with limited social interactions and someone new shows up.

They were talking about it like college kids in a disaster film.

Or maybe how they talk about technology in crime shows.

maybe, I'll think about it

Literally pulling this out of your asshole. Probably plenty of room in there if you are defending this shitshow.

nothing wrong with those names, but there should have been at least 10 more that are unfamiliar to the audience

remember, this is the same franchise that introduces a fuckpile of new species in every show, with the premise of "well its a big galaxy, you can't expect to have seen all of it already!"

and yet the best captains, only 5 of them in the 100 years that the federation has existed, are all characters people know

lazy as fuck

If you're a retard I guess you might think that.

>they were exposing facts like retards for the audience's sake
They should've had Saru there, at least then they could've had a reason to spell everything out they already know.

Really? You meet someone and you just vomit all the information you have on them at once? That guy didn't seem all that affected. Stop making excuses for shitty writing that favors blunt exposition

Hey just FYI I stopped watching this shitshow.

I was only watching it for the train wreck but it got boring.

... and they are all human. I don't buy it.

Pouring some out for her homeboy Ripper

Matt Decker was a fucking idiot anyway

then fuck off redditor

See you space cowboy...

>anyone I don't like is a redditor

Reddit star trek is mostly cbs shills though. Your put-down doesn't even make sense.

Tilly in a bikini episode when?

this

the Federation was founded by four races, (humans andorians vulcans and tellarites) humans didnt get a head start, and where the fuck are all the vulcan/andorian/tellarite crew members?

Terrible acting.

Upboated! :^)

If I'm in a situation where I'm a POW and I haven't seen another human being for months (other than the one who is quivering in the corner, who by the way totally isn't Voq in disguise), yeah, I'm going to jump at the chance to start talking to somebody else and get things off my chest. Anybody else would do the same. Plus, he was given that bug to record them talking. Best way to get people talking is to open up.

Goddamn.

They said the chief doc had to do an operation on an andorian in this episode. Also, I think one of the background characters in this scene (though not visible in this webm) may have been one as well, but hard to tell

yeah but ensign giant vulva head gets a bridge spot. whatever.

How exactly did the tardigrade exit stress mode in space? It entered stress mode by discharging it's water, meaning being hydrated is necessary for normal function, right? So how then was it able to exit stress mode in space where there was no water?

spores

sure, there's nonstop references to remind you its Trek, but the show would rather invent new races and force them on you than use established races that people know and care about

like what the fuck is that robot girl? no explanation, she only exists to have less humans on the bridge

All the questions are sort of posed from an in-universe perspective. Your reasoning makes enough sense from a meta/writing perspective, but isn't really helpful to understnading the show from a logical/continuity progression. You follow me?

Thanks for trying though.

that was my immediate response

>"it shed 99% of its body water!"
>immediately becomes normal in the vacuum of space

She's a Robodian from Robos. No, I'm not making that up.

It got hydrated by the spores. They have electrolytes.

spores

his ear switched from rounded human ears to vulcan prostheses from one scene to the next.

lazy as fuck.

theres no fucking water in mycellium spores

My only working theory is that it pulled in water through the mycellium dimension.

THIS SERIES IS SO FUCKING COOL XD

Now that the spores have settled, who was the best character and why was it RIPPER?

> being this stupid

Maybe Orville is better suited for your intelligence

I thought this at first too. Go back and watch, there is actually also a black human there as well.

>watching a literal STD in motion
I shiggy

please provide citation that mycelium spores contain water content

thanks

not relevant one way or the other

please provide citation that mycelium spores contain water content

thanks

Not even that user but you are just an idiot

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypha
>In most fungi, hyphae are the main mode of vegetative growth, and are collectively called a mycelium.
>A hypha consists of one or more cells surrounded by a tubular cell wall.

All cells contain water. Its literally a requirement for them to function.

>Robodian from Robos

What's next, a binary species called Bynars? lmao

I can hear you Clem Fandango

What if the spores allow it to draw water from the network?

this is the worst episode yet of the show. i was willing to give it some latitude based on the previous two episodes, but this sqyandered the potential it built up.
everything about this episode was a nightmare.
the acting horrid. it would be easier to note the few instances of decent line delivery than list the times it sucked.
about the only salvageable performances here were mudd and the female kling. thats it.
stammis is ususally good, but flubbed everything this ep, im assuming because he was always surrounded by worse actors and he felt impelled not to stand out.
i also felt obliged to complain about the music this episode. usually i dont even notice it being there, but this episode it really stood out in a bad way.
the TOS sound effects are really starting to grate on me. they threw away everything else, so why hold on to this?

doesn't he play Voq as well?

Cat aliens named Caitian from Cait. Also give them names that sound like cat sounds, like "M'Ress."

Is there a non webm version of this?

>looks like team rockets blasting off agaiiii-

>retarded STD trash

Voq's listed actor apparently isn't even a real person. IT'S A MYSTERY.

STD
T
D

FOREVER AND EVER

Just run it through an online converter

Music was beautiful here, a true highlight of the series

Like what?

If jumping literally was killing Ripper why was it the first thing he did after being released? I don't get it. It's a tardigrade living in space. Isn't jumping his normal way of traveling? Why was it killing him when he was on the ship?

this show is so awful, jesus christ

The spores must flow user

Jumping a starship is probably way more intense than just jumping by himself

I'm gonna guess because he's forced to jump a whole ship rather than just himself

Mycelium also lose moisture easily, which is why it requires a high humidity to grow. In the real world, tardigrades suck moisture out of cells. So, I'm willing to give this one a pass. Truth is, the writers probably fucked up and didn't think about this, but it ultimately doesn't matter when there is an excuse, and when it's just a nitpick.

I think it was the nipple machine and being forced to go to certain places that was killing him. Though I gotta wonder, if he could just go traveling any time he wanted, why not just leave the ship whenever he wanted instead of putting up with all that nipple abuse?

Have you never used a PC before? Fucking Google it man

>Jumping a starship is probably way more intense than just jumping by himself
Plus he was being forced to jump and where to jump.

It's like the difference between a horse running free versus a horse being forced to pull a cart full of heavy boulders and being whipped. Obviously the free horse is going to be a pretty happy horse while that other horse isn't.

>Federation has conscription

Now I'm not deep in Star Trek lore, but that doesn't sound right.

Oh its stupid writing as all hell. But you (or that dipshit user) had the sheer willful ignorance to pretend like it was difficult or contentious to demonstrate that mycellium contain water. That's the single, infuriatingly dense point that got me involved in an arguement that was originally about I have no idea what.

In war? Not a huge shocker

He is not jumping the whole ship, he is only calculating the destination. The ship jumps all by itself.

That's a good question too.