Where did it all go wrong?

Where did it all go wrong?

Michael Pitt being a junkie and fucking up shoots, forcing them to abandon the season 3 plan and call an audible by bringing in Bobby Cannavale. The show turned out pretty good, all things considered. But what could have been would have been better.

When the faggot creator rushed the last season so he could do his rockstar show instead of letting someone else take the reigns.

I'm currently watching it for the first time and im pretty much skipping through most scenes in season 4. It really dropped the ball during season 3

Is boardwalk empire worth it?

starts strong but gets weaker by each following season. watch it

They kept making episodes after the end of S2

It had fatal flaws from the beginning. Just too much focus on pointless boring shit aka the scenes with Margaret, Gillian, Harrow, and Chalky once that retarded arc with the lounge singer starts

it all went wrong around season 4. terence winter got bored of the show and wanted out.

the show had a lot of potential but they made a mistake making nucky the main character. nucky isn't that interesting and buscemi is a good supporting actor, he can't hold up a show by himself. the characters surrounding nucky are way more interesting than nucky.

The show really loses steam when Nucky loses his job as treasurer and Eli becomes an unbearable sadsack.

Every scene with Margret after season three was was painful to watch.

ITT: Jimmyfags

Manny died too soon

This
And this

There were other issues with season 2 like the main antagonist's actor undergoing cancer treatment which fucked everything up, I'm pretty sure Michael Shannon was busy on MoS at the time so his role was limited and Paz de la Huerta reportedly had personal issues as well which got her written out of the show, which made no sense as having a baby she now had what she wanted (someone to need her for something other than sex) and replaced with a babysitter who then for no reason at all goes on the run from the law with Van Alden.

Then the writers themselves fucked up latet seasons by focusing on stupid shit like any storyline involving Kelly MacDonald.

Yeah but that's Micheal Pitt's fault for being a fuck up. He couldn't keep his shit together so they shitcanned him and had to keep the Nucky train.

Let's be honest it was never really all that good to begin with

>Eli becomes an unbearable sadsack.

Oh my fuck this! In season 2 he betrays his brother and spends all of season 3 trying to win back his trust and succeeding in the end. Only for them to have him betray him again in season 4.

It really wasn't. It had a great cast but overall the show never lived up to it's potential.

Terrence winter is simply not a great writer. His strength on the sopranos is he was a fanboy of gangster movies while chase basically didn't give a shit about the violence or endless clan wars. Sopranos was goat because the mobster shit was the surface appeal while it was the chase substance that kept you invested. Boardwalk had fantastic surface, looked gorgeous, the sets the costumes etc. But everything felt hollow. I watched a film written by winter which was a really really cheap uninspired copy of the classic gangster films with Freddy Prinze Jr and turtle from entourage, it was really obvious he's just a derivative hack. Chase just used him as his mafia guy but it wasn't what the sopranos was about. HBO was desperate to have a new sopranos but chase didn't want to do it again so they thought winter would be the next best thing without realizing he didn't have the talent for showrunning. I will say that he does have some strengths especially for comedy and memorable gimmicky characters and clever dialogues and cool pulpy violent set pieces but all these aspects are superficial, meanwhile he utterly sucks at long term narrative development or psychological character studies or subtlety etc. When he tried to give nucky dream episodes that was laughably bad imitation of Tony's. Just surface level copy of a formula but without the understanding. He's the anti chase. Boardwalk was its best when it just embraced its silly pulpy nature colorful characters and stylized dialogues. I couldn't stand Jimmy but loved gyp. Wolf of wall street played to his strengths, it was a parody of Goodfellas. Vinyl was another failure HBO realized it couldn't be their mad Men. weiner on the sopranos was the opposite he understood the substance of chase but also didn't care about the pleb appeal. Mad Men didn't have the pleb appeal. Ideally I would have loved to see winter and weiner the two children of chase working together, I feel like both shows are different half of the sopranos.

I personally always thought Nucky could have carried the show but they REALLY needed to step up their game with him in season 2 and beyond. Instead they did the complete opposite and the "star" of the show was the 2nd least important main character only trailing behind his fucking wife and only barely more important than Van Alden who was barely in it.

suspension of disbelief ruined when we are expected to believe anyone wants to fuck this ugly whore

LEAVE
BILLIE
ALONE

this is a good post. understands The Sopranos, the writers of The Sopranos, and the dynamics between them perfectly. I would have liked a sentence or two about Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess but I'm just an autistic completionist.

I'm convinced they only introduced her because they realised they fucked up in season 2 having Margaret cheating on Nucky and people hated her for it because Nucky was remaining loyal to her.

That's because they were gearing up to have Jimmy become the main character but somewhere along the way during the production of season two they slammed on the brakes and had to switch tracks.

I didn't mention them obviously because they seemed to have disappeared afterwards, or at least changed categories from cable prestige dramas to network procedural with lesser ambitions. Chase brought them in after working with them on Northern Exposure if I'm not mistaken. "Three Amigos" is my favorite episode from NE and was written by them and it's quite similar to Pine Barrens (one episode focused on two secondary characters in the woods/snow).

the funniest shit that came out of boardwalk empire was reading about how crazy paz de la huerto is. she was shaving her pussy on set and apparently got some girl to hold her hand while she took a shit

Also now that I think about it Pine Barrens was written by Winter (but perhaps pitched by G&B), and shows exactly what I was saying. It's a fantastic piece of black or almost cartoonish comedy, but very different from what really made The Sopranos. It stands out because it's conceptually unique. Yet Boardwalk never attempted to have that kind of episode despite having so many colorful characters. As a writer supervised by a great showrunner, Winter can make something great and offbeat like that, but as a showrunner himself he doesn't have the originality or vision to come up with something so different, he never really broke his own mold.

/ourlass/

It didn't.

It became kino. Unfortunately it went over most peoples heads.

Jimmys mom should have died on the same night as everyone else in that whorehouse desu

>Just too much focus on pointless boring shit
>aka the scenes with Gillian

I think the storyline with Gillian and Roy was one of the best things in the show.

I mean, I don't believe anyone would want to fuck Nucky either.

he was rich and powerful thats all there is to him

Margaret will wear on your nerves as the seasons progress. Harrow was fine and so was Chaulky until he started showing up more and more.

>When the faggot creator rushed the last season so he could do his rockstar show instead
And even that show didn't get a renewed season.

BAAAARNEY GOOGLE

>man with money

If you have any doubt women will flock to him no matter his looks, you're in for a rude awakening.

>which made no sense as having a baby she now had what she wanted (someone to need her for something other than sex) and replaced with a babysitter who then for no reason at all goes on the run from the law with Van Alden.

There was never a kino af scene where Van Alden shows up late on the day of the babies birth to Paz's lifeless body holding a bloody child and Van alden casts her aside like a hollow vessel and walks out with the baby trimphantly as some opera music or some shit plays.

would have been an elegant way to write her out

>tfw BE threads were your favorite thing about Sup Forums and there is no replacing them

how to cope?

the series was shit from the beginning until the end
literally no hope for anyone who likes this