Why didn't americans like the young pope?

>vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/01/the-young-pope-hbo-review

HBO’s Vatican drama is darker and harsher than the memes would have you believe.

"But . . . I don’t know. I’m having trouble reveling in it right now. The show’s accidental similarities to real-life events—Lenny was elected Pope in a stunning upset that confounded the Vatican establishment’s assumption that a more familiar veteran would win—are so keenly felt in the first half of the season that it makes for difficult viewing. I don’t really want to watch this amoral, perhaps insane autocrat exert his ordained might, upending an age-old institution while others fearfully scramble—disbelieving and caught entirely off guard—to save what they can. Sorry, that’s just not the kind of Sunday night I want to have right now. I’m sure those with stronger stomachs—or, indeed, different political sensibilities—will find something exciting or trenchant in The Young Pope’s political annihilation. But, for me, it’s no fun.
[...]
The main Italian in the cast is Silvio Orlando as a beleaguered, mole-flecked cardinal tasked with advising this cocky young Pope, and thwarted at nearly every turn. Cardinal Voiello is horrified by the new Pope’s flouting of tradition, his refusal to submit himself to observance of common courtesies and ethics. (Ugh.) Voiello plays the role of dutiful vizier when in the presence Pope Pius, though we know—and Lenny knows—that he’s much craftier and more resourceful than he lets on. A potentially satisfying bit of intrigue is developing there, but for my sanity’s sake, Voiello better be able to topple this frightening, power-mad narcissist.If not, all of Sorrentino’s style and quirky Euro humor will have been in the service of something rather cruel and redundant. We’ve already got a real authoritarian fox (Trump) in the henhouse to worry about. Lord help us, we don’t need another one on TV—blessed though he may be."

Other urls found in this thread:

liberalismisasin.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism
youtube.com/watch?v=x2Yl0ALK3-4
reuters.com/article/us-pope-benedict/in-memoirs-ex-pope-benedict-says-vatican-gay-lobby-tried-to-wield-power-report-idUSKCN0ZH4LP
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unironically too stupid to understand it

Americans don't get God. Brainwashed for centuries by fake cults, even their Catholicism is twisted by now. They just don't get it.

I'm American and I loved it. Honestly the best thing I've seen in television or film in a really, really long time. It's genuinely moving, and a brilliant piece of filmmaking on top of that.

His brain kind of looks like it is being sucked out by Aliens in this picture.

>new bladerunner does great in europe
>does shit in usa
huh...

>brain sucked by aliens
only explanation to how people would believe in bronze age fairy tales

>no tits
>no glorification of violence

I saw the first episode and I dont get the buzz
does it get any better

The plot doesn't interest me and I don't like Jude Law personally and I suspect its libtard trash that lowkey shits on Catholicism

I think Pope Pius XIII is a caricature of traditional Catholicism, but even that caricature is too much for liberals to handle.

Traditional Catholicism is the original anti-liberalism.

liberalismisasin.com/

i made it through three episodes before i gave up... just didn't grab me

DUDE EVERYTHING HAS TO BE ABOUT TRUMP LMAO
fuck journalism and fuck white people

>libtard trash
Why do Sup Forumstards continue to infest other boards?

because it triggers you and its funny to see you get assmad. I've probably been here twice as long as you kid ;)

they are to dumb for one of the few decent tv shows

I was hooked in by the end of episode 2, but for the first half it pretty much seemed like a well-done version of "House of Cards" in the Vatican. In the last three episodes it all changes, and elevates into something really special.

I probably still would've liked it if it'd maintained the tone of the first through episodes throughout, but I wouldn't have put it on my all-time top tier. It's probably overhyped at this point, but I really loved it. I hadn't cried at a movie or show since I was a little kid, but one particular scene in the ninth episode got me pretty fucking good.

nothing personnel kid ;)

>I've probably been here twice as long as you kid ;)
I'm 30 years old and I've been here since ~2007
Jump in front of a train, Sup Forumsshit kid

>overhyped
The only show to ever top it was Sopranos

I watched the first four episodes and I hated it. Young Pope more like asshole Pope. The whole show is just Jude Law being a dick to people.

catholicism is libtard trash to most of the world

There are tits
And kangaroos

I'm 30 and came in 2007 to fellow newfag cancer.

>part of the wave of '07 that led to the cancer levels reaching terminal status

WE PREZIDEND NOW

>See article blasting a show / movie
>Skim for two words 'Trump" and/or "White Male"
>disregard entirely and don't read it.

Great filter.

Reminder that the disabled kid that gets spoonfed was a metaphor for American audiences.

There's also violence, people are killed and disappeared.

and baby drops

>ugh
Into the trash it goes

not my fault you backed a shitty candidate and fell for bernout memes. Quit taking your frustrations out on innocent 4channers

Who cares

The Vatican is and always has been Satanic

Literally just the old pagan Roman Government reformed to continue having control

Fucking amerilards and their retarded use of word liberalism. What's worse is that other people now increasingly use the wrong definition.

Did Sorrentino make anything else as good as this? Anything worth watching?

teach us oh wise non american what the true and correct definition of liberal is.

Youth is a 10/10 movie
The Great Beauty is also pretty good

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism
Nowadays it seems liberal equals sjw/numale/tmblr or whatever bogeyman is currently haunting Sup Forums.

>tfw too euphoric to believe in bronze age fairy tales

>teach us oh wise non american what the true and correct definition of liberal is.
In short: Liberal is not everyone who is not an ultra economically conservative and a religious racist.

>The Vatican is and always has been Satanic
Give me proofs right now you goddamn proddy.

lel

>wiki
you are a moron alright

Pope literally worships a reptiloid. Not even memeing here

blame democrats who called themselves liberal progressives and then people associating retard policy with them.

No that's the definition of liberalism and as such, a liberal. Read some fucking philosophy

This show is a pleb filter and it is no wonder that the majority of Sup Forums doesn't like it.

I'm being arch: The Show

That's just wood carving of the souls of the dead being dragged into heaven while Christ is raising them out.

I didn't finish the show: The Post

>just the old pagan Roman Government
Implying that's bad.

best show ever made

you can't be more wrong.

Idol Worship
Combining pagan traditions with christian ones

not to mention all the fucked up corrupted shit they did since forever ago

> the majority of Sup Forums doesn't like it
You should've been here when it aired, newfriend. It was universally declared kino.

It should be about freedom from government intervention. So it's probably closely related to what Americans see as Libertarianism. It's an economic concept first and foremost.

Why finish a show that has it's head that far up it's own ass.
>I'm Jude Law
>I'm going to overact and be as audibly arrogant and sneaky in reading my dialogue.
Dudes worse than a Dick Tracy villian.

>every second character is inexplicably homosexual
Dropped.

give me an example.

>Christ
That's not Christ, that's a man with a head of a snake that Pope pretends is Christ. He can't openly worship snake/Satan yet, depictions of Satan in Vatican still need to at least reference Christ.

>Idol Worship
Hold on, do you honestly think revering a saint is on par with worshiping God?
>Combining pagan traditions with christian ones
There is literally nothing wrong with syncretism if it converts people.

>Pope
>pretends is Christ
Wrong, Pope is contiuning the legacy of St. Peter.

B*rgers combine Jesus with Cocacola and ArmaLite

>We’ve already got a real authoritarian fox (Trump) in the henhouse to worry about. Lord help us, we don’t need another one on TV—blessed though he may be.
I honestly thought he was some TradCat complaining about Pope Francis until that

I'm a lapsed Catholic & me made me weep for for what could have been. Lenny is the Pope we need.

>Fuck your mother
Jesus, that was a bit rude to say

You don't have to finish it, but why post about it if you don't even know the story? It's a pointless contribution to the thread because you're flat-out wrong. The characters go through serious changes & developments and the tone of the show completely inverts in the second half.

The structure of the show is basically Old Testament and New Testament. You saw smite-the-heretics power-grabbing Lenny, you never saw Lenny Christ

>There is literally nothing wrong with syncretism if it converts people.

Literally everything is wrong with it

>Hold on, do you honestly think revering a saint is on par with worshiping God?

To bad its not revering, its full on worship and praying. Not to mention dead jesus on cross is full blasphemy idol worship as well

>dead jesus on cross is full blasphemy idol worship as well
The iconoclasts died out in the middle ages, go join them

I'm confused if it's pleb or patrician to like this song
youtube.com/watch?v=x2Yl0ALK3-4

It's interesting but as an italian is just too unrealistic for me to care, it borders on capeshit.
In modern history there were two popes that tried to change things in the Vatican, namely the IOR, their bank that is behind a lot of money laundering schemes and that recycled Mafia money to fund Solidarnosch and other anti-communists:

Pope John Paul I, who died 33 days after his election because he dared to speak against the masons and cardinals that worked behind the scenes

Pope Benedict XVI(Ratzinger), who had to resign because he failed to topple the gay elite that controlled the Vatican AND the IOR, their bank.

So the show premise of having this RADICAL young pope fuck up all the other guys' plans was basically sci-fi to me and most Italians since we know how the Vatican really works.

If you're interested in the Vatican scandals you should google who Marcinkus and Sindona were and the Banco Ambrosiano failure, which ended its president' life hanged by the Blackfriars bridge in London.

>Literally everything is wrong with it
No there isn't, it keeps the traditions but puts it in a Christian way.
>To bad its not revering
But it is. No one worships a Saint.
>Not to mention dead Jesus on cross is full blasphemy idol worship as well
Are you a Jehovah type of stupid or something?
Also good going on disrespecting Christ our Lord and Savior by not capitalizing his name you proddyshit

But watching armies get burned alive on GoT is "fun"?

The way they use it in the series choked me up a little bit. Beautiful scene

Christians are simply not interested in Catholicism.

why the fuck should american watch a show about a pedophile?

the catholic church is the mother harlots the great whore, get aways from that trash

>gay elite
lol what

Yeah no, you don't combine God's fellowship with other false religions. Pants on head retarded as best. You should be prepared to die for that belief, not compromise.

Christ has risen. Why would you worship an idol of Him nailed to the cross, or even a crucifix at all for that matter, which wasn't even a Christian thing to begin with

*Yawn
Wow. So deep. Sounds as bad as Westworld. Im not going to watch some foppish insufferable cunt orate his intrigue for half a damn season in hopes that he will change.

American Christians want to consume crap like HACKsaw Ridge. That's the limit of their faith. Too dumb even for Silence, obviously The Young Kino is out of their reach.

YOU HEARD THE MAN!!!

>Hold on, do you honestly think revering a saint is on par with worshiping God?
Not him but have you ever been in Napoli during the day of San Gennaro?
People literally pray to him for jobs, they celebrate "his" blood turning into liquid.

>american 'christians'
Those fuckers are anything but christian

this is one incredibly retarded-looking head piece, do they make the pope wear it to make fun of him?

I don't care if you watch it or like it, I'm just saying your half-assed observations about the show are off the mark

>proddies with no tastes.
There's faggots priests in the Vatican.
>being a pants on head retard that doesn't know how to convert people
It's through teaching the word of Christ, if we were to kill pagans then they wouldn't convert.
>Christ has risen
Yes and we must be reminded of his suffering on the cross.

How do you feel about faith and works? Do you think just praying to God get's you to heaven? Because that's wrong.

>he doesn't know
reuters.com/article/us-pope-benedict/in-memoirs-ex-pope-benedict-says-vatican-gay-lobby-tried-to-wield-power-report-idUSKCN0ZH4LP

Ignore Reuters, but the pope himself called it like that, and after all why would you be surprised that a bunch of pedophiles protectors gay?
Ratzinger tried to punish pedophiles as well and couldn't even make his brother stop diddling kids at the Bratislava Chorus.

>mentions San Gennaro
>get dubs
U' MIRACOLO

>this is one incredibly retarded-looking head piece, do they make the pope wear it to make fun of him?
I could ask Americans the same thing.

>s-saint worshipping is not idolatry i swear!

>through teaching the word of Christ

Jesus had a no tolerance policy on other false religions sorry.

>reminded of his suffering
There's a book to remind you. And you should rejoice

Following Christ's teachings gets you into heaven, but not because you simply want to get into heaven but because you actually absorb and apply His message; using your freewill to be selfless, but realizing ultimately that you can really only do so through Christ, otherwise you will always eventually succumb to sin, not to mention all other religions and idols are lies and deception that stem from Satan, therefore integrating anything from them into Christian traditions is pure heresy

>Jesus had a no tolerance policy on other false religions sorry.
So we should kill every pagan. Yeah, because that's what Christ taught. Dumbass, do you even understand what the carrot and stick model is?
>There's a book to remind you.
And there's crucifix to remind us all that he died for our sins.
That doesn't answer my question, do you believe in faith plus works?

My two favorite parts were the love letter and him btfo of the Franciscans

Who said anything about killing you idiot

Tell me how the Crucifix has Christian origins or where Christ says it represents Him

>the old pagan Roman Government reformed to continue having control
thats the fucking point

So...did he died?

Tough to say.There are a few other times in the series when he collapses in the same exact way, and he's fine afterwards

>Who said anything about killing you idiot
You did, you implied it by saying that you don't want to convert people.
>Crucifix has Christian origins
Christ died on it. Ergo it's Christian.
Stop reddit spacing and tell my why you hate working towards God and want to pretend you can just waltz right into heaven.