Is Fight Club pro or anti masculinity?

Is Fight Club pro or anti masculinity?

Neither. It's just making fun of dudes in dead end jobs. Brilliant satire, huh?

as much as I hate to admit it is anti

>t. wagecuck

its pro chaos, and doesnt adhere to any ideals or principles other than "lets fuck shit up"

Either could be argued and neither convincingly as the movie has really nothing to do with that

Probably closer to this.
That's what the film/book does basically.
It's a satire, retard.

It's kind of just anti-human, in a dark comic way. Everyone thinks they want to "break free" from society and do whatever they want to do, but as soon as a group of "non-conformists" get together, it immediately becomes a cult. Even the leader of the cult invents an imaginary friend to tell him what to do.

it's about male disillusionment and the dangers of cults

It's a warning not to be a sheep. First it paints men as sheep for going to meaningless jobs, but then after they join Fight Club they just all start acting like sheep again while trying to act like Tyler Durden.

Is Female Fight Club pro or anti femininity?

WITH YOUR FEET ON THE AIR AND YOUR HEAD ON THE GROUND

It's pro masculinity.

It shows what happens when men have no outlets to be men - men repressing their masculinity for years or even decades is incredibly bad for their mental stability. It shows the damage that "a generation of men raised by women" (i.e. single mothers and no male role models, let alone father figures, let alone fathers) can do.

Neither. It's a romantic story, and this is God's word from Palahniuk. The narrator decides that he is the one who is going to decide in his life, and what he wants to do is to start a life with Marla.

AWOO

Pro, but they don't meet and fight, just shit talk each other on whatsapp.

First: kill all the jews

jesus, imagine being so stupid that you didn't even get fight club

hate to break it to you brainlet but it has literally next to nothing to do with your precious masculinity narrative

Yeah now watch the 2nd half and pay attention to the end ok

Jesus, imagine being so stupid that you think there's only one correct way to interpret a film.

Yeah really. My own interpretation of Fight Club is that it's about how the Jews have tricked us into fighting each other instead creating a white nationalist state. Palahniuk is truly red pilled for a homosexual.

Masculinity is by no means the predominant theme in Fight Club. It's quite a minor one really, but it's there.

I was answering OP's question, not creating a strawman.

It's unironically a black farcifal comedy.

>it's a-all open to interpretation, there are no wrong answers

Just another failure shat out by the participation is winning culture of modern education. Get a fucking grip. Yes, there are incorrect ways to interpret films.

The saddest part about this post is that you probably believe you are Sup Forums but in reality you are just another faggot from /r9k/ that uses the word rostie

Neither, its about existentialism

It's pro, the movie is supposed to amp you up and motivate you. It's about being content with yourself and not using items or fashion to develop your personality or to decide what you want to be like, that's what the not your fucking khakis speech is about. And when Tyler looks at the Calvin Klein add and says self improvement is mastrubation he's talking about how most men workout to look better (which is honestly pathetic) not gain strength or develop themselves

Sup Forums is the sum of its parts

The utter nihilism present in the film's premise dismisses silly antiquated notions all together and recognizes that such institutional labeling is responsible for the inhibitions of pure natural anima.

If you are thinking in terms of what is or isn't masculine, then you are not following the principle of pure human will above all. You're allowing the vapid intoxication of civilization to swallow you up and consume your identity.

Not the same person, but watching fight club at 20 & watching it at 30 I had two very different interpretations/reactions to it.

oh shit guys we have a psychic here

Different reactions is another thing altogether. Tell us your different interpretations upon seeing the film at 20, and then at 30.

When will they make an Invisible Monsters film?

Directed by Del Toro because my dick

At 20 I basically saw it as "damn the man" and that established order is bad, chaos is good. True masculinity is being like our ancestors, the strongest survive.

At 30 I saw it more as life is a fleeting moment. Take everything you ever hear with a grain of salt, decide your own course through life. "Say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss." True masculinity comes from being strong for others, by having a woman in your life and a family.

Would you say either interpretation is wrong or is it a movie that can be interpreted different ways?

>There are incorrect ways to interpret films =! there is only one correct interpretation of any given film

Fuckin badass and I wanna punch stuff

It is actually about the author accepting that he is gay.

That's such a boring interpretation, there's a lot more to it than that.

The simplest explanation is usually correct

You're thinking of American Pyscho

Fight Club is pro Trump.

No, it's about the author being upset no one will publish his book Survivor so he wrote a book threatening the publisher that people like him "guard you while you sleep."

Neither. It's about how easily male discontent is easily co-opted by an agenda, especially cults.

The amount of deluded fucking betas in this thread is laughable, you’re all basically bitch tits.

T. Guy that wears Calvin Klein and has a little cute workout outfit that goes on diets

it's a message about how consumerism has taken over our lives.

In the book and in the movie Tyler Durden is a manifestation of Jack's impotence, and as a result Tyler Durden is Jack's idea of masculinity.

We know where Jack draws his immediate information about the world from how the book and the movie describe him, as someone who actively consumes popular product and media.

We know that Jack as a person does not stand up for himself and is impressionable, hence the morally grey profession, the inability to take his life back from this profession, and the fact that his mental illness plays out in the same fashion as the job that's taking up all his time: Series of blurs through plane travel.

Without reading too much into it I think we can say that Jack's idea of masculinity is probably exaggerated, and by extension Tyler himself is an exaggeration of modern or "pop" masculinity, especially since Tyler being the opposite of him in nearly every way is an obvious form of escapism.
But really, considering that it's the Wachowski Sisters that directed it we can (with some room for bias) presume that the film itself is decidedly Anti.

Having read only Fight Club from Palahniuk's library and finding it pretty insufferable I can't say I know his writing style well enough to have an opinion on the source material.

It's directed by David Fincher not the wachowski sisters

calvin klein is cool

>it’s another Sup Forums overthinks something that’s obvious in an attempt to sound like an intellectual

It’s pro masculinity unless you’re the average dumbass on this board

movie falls apart in the third act, second act is good but stale

but the first act of the two hanging out and stuff is really good

Oh shit you're right, I always get that fucked up because of the Matrix.

Aside from the Wachowski sisters part you're pretty much spot on.

It was a good analysis nonetheless

What did he mean by this?

It's a shit movie that normies love.

There's a type of Fight Club fan, worse than all the bro's put together, who thinks he's a genius for noticing that Project Mayhem is itself cultish and contradicts everything Tyler said about personal freedom earlier in the story. What they don't realise is that Chuck Palahniuk addressed this a long time ago, writing: "The purpose of Project Mayhem was to coach people beyond their own idea of their abilities. People had to be ordered past their own fears. Eventually the organization would vanish, leaving behind fully developed former members."

The final stage of understanding Fight Club is realising how Palahniuk's homosexuality influenced the book's perspective on masculinity - it's hardly the indictment that people would like to think it is (which they support simply because they like the idea of there being some hidden theme of anti-masculinity flying underneath the noses of Fight Club's average frat boy fan).

>It's a shit movie that normies love.

>he wrote a book threatening the publisher that people like him "guard you while you sleep."

That part wasn't even in the draft he submitted to the publisher.

>this is the sort of brainlets i share this board with

Why does it have to be either? You sound like you're being bullied by your dad.

>Tyler Durden, i'm Project Mayhem

This. And all you fags who think fight clubs are uber cool and masculine just fell for it.

The movie isn't even about masculinity, though it does poke fun at people who decided that the best way to express masculinity is to beat each other up in dank basements.

Some people unironically created fight clubs after this movie.

The Narrator beating the shit out of Angel Face and "destroying something beautiful" (which caused Tyler to escalate Fight Club into Project Mayhem) was a textbook gay lover rage.

This isn't a joke. If you don't believe me you should probably get off Sup Forums and perhaps read some of the formal interpretations of the book (and not just the half-baked opinions of some fucking NEET).

It's gay. It's written by a closet gay homo.

I'm not sure about joining a real Fight Club, but my friends and I would organise fights amongst ourselves when we were 17-18. It didn't involve sending anyone to the hospital, but they were proper fights where someone would occasionally get knocked out.

Again, nothing too serious, just some boys-will-be-boys type stuff that was entirely healthy.

Overall, it was a positive experience. Almost everything the Narrator said about fighting was true.

Anticonsumerism pro-relationship.

It takes masculinity to its logical conclusion. After watching this movie I don't worry about the hormones in the food anymore. All masculinity is toxic masculinity.

Lots of pussies nowadays have never been in a fight and are terrified of one. I group up beating the shit out of my brother and having him beat the shit out of me and I'm thankful for it. Literally have only had 1 nigger ever try and step up to me and he backed down when he saw I wasn't scared.

In it's original form in the book it is intended to be anti-masculinity.

Casting Brad Pitt in incredible physical shape completely derailed that message though and renders lines like "Self improvement is masturbation" to be ridiculous when said by him,

Objectively wrong, please refer to It's like you didn't even read the book, or any of the interpretations/criticism around it.