/historical autism/

Post films or scenes that trigger your historical autism

For me it's gladiator
>fantasy lorica segmentata knock off
>fantasy imperial gallic helmet
>marcomanni dressed as cave people
>romans breaking formation
>butchering simple latin phrases
>a non senatorial legate (who's a farmer?)
I can excuse their portrayal of the senate, emperor and imperical court politics as a whole because it's a movie. Still a great movie though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1V728Mx39NU
youtube.com/watch?v=5ds054OF7hY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, big budget movies always fuck up historical shit. I'm numb to it at this point.

>Fire arrows

>hurr durr I watched youtube videos about "history" now watch how I get "triggered" by things just to flaunt my new acquired "knowledge"

Maximus being a pleb (although figuratively) made no sense to me. The movie said he commanded legions which would make him a governor, but since we only see one fictional 'Felix' legion he's probably just a legatus legionus. Who would be an equastrian at least (but probably a senator). I remember it really triggering my latin teacher back in the day.

Armor stuff is trivial nonsense in the grand scheme of things, but latin and roman history is taught in high school, so it's not that weird people will notice those things.

meant for

>people run out of formation and randomly start duelling the enemy

I love this. More historical autism, please

>Yeah, big budget movies always fuck up historical shit.

Has there ever been a film that didn't?

>For me it's
fuck i hate this meme sentencestructure

Im always surprised if movies try to display realistic-ish army fights.

Alexander was pretty nice in that regard:
youtube.com/watch?v=1V728Mx39NU

That fantasy segmentata is pretty damn aesthetic though.

it sorta looks like winged hussar armor

Literally every WWII movie except fury when it comes to tanks

youtube.com/watch?v=5ds054OF7hY

MUH WHEAT

>historical movie fraturing a commonly spoken language
>the characters either speak a modern version of the language (which might not even be setting appropriate), or an actual archaic version that sounds retarded
There's no winning.

that's because it was in those taco bell commercials 10 years ago. annoying as fuck indeed

>not having a laff with your extra friends

>Except fury
This is so god damn wrong. Fury was hollywood schlock. A tiger would never advance towards shermans to engage shermans in an open field.

>fantasy lorica segmentata
Until the time of muskets, there was really no standardized uniform or armor. Each region or general will personally equip his soldiers with what is available. Things were made by hand and varies in quality. People regularly wear outdated hand me downs or looted stuff. After a few months campaigning, stuff get worn down or rusted and get patched up ad hoc. It's not like the historical depictions were 100% accurate anyway. Accounts of soldiers and battles were frequently written hundreds of years after they happened. For all we know, the movie armor might be correct.

Is VVitch considered accurate? My only reference of the time period was shakespear and that doesn't exactly sound the same.

How does kingdom of heavan compare for historical accuracy?

I meant the tanks themselves, not the tactics.

It doesn't.

Yeah it was nice seeing a real tiger in a film, I believe it was only the 2nd time it's happened. The first was some film from the 40s

Almost true, except in reality half of the illegal Europeans living in Jerusalem were enslaved and other half were deported to make room for Salahdin's Christian subjects from egypt.

Gladiator opening is so retarded. Goddam siege machines in a FOREST in Marcomannia. Shooting flame projectiles. Ridley saw too many Vietnam films and wanted a napalm scene in Gladiator, this is my explanation. The cavepeople trigger me even harder

they didn't had flat tops in ancient Rome

even if he watched video on youtube or wherever, he DID learn something at least.

Everything about Last Samurai, especially ninja scene

Its usually a bastardized t34. Which is fine, as they atleast made the effort. But its those 60 and 70 war movies which use Pattons for everything which have me literally shaking.

Is this what spartans look like?

All things considered unironically the worst film i have ever seen. 100% serious

One of the worst offenders in "post-Gladiator" era.

From shit like "europe was a shithole" through retarded plot with non-noble bastard being chosen the king of Jerusalem, all the way to every little thing about the siege.

>implying there is anything to brag about learning useless information about long gone civilizations
>especially when most of the "knowledge" is just made up shit by historians

Prole

I always thought that historical period was just a backdrop for the story, so more or less just a coat of paint for screenplay, never understood historical autists

>mfw sparta actually existed

It's on a category of its own -you can't go 5 minutes in it without finding something wrong, considering it mixes up material from various Crusades and deliberately changes geography, even if you wanted to ignore everything else about Salahdin and the Siege

And that can be the case.

Look at HBO's Rome - producers themselves called it "historically authentic" rather than "accurate". The events were often made up or changed more or less, but they did emulate clothing, culture, religion and other stuff of the period etremally well..

Films like Gladiator don't use history as a backdrop, they use some preconcieved stereotypes that came from hollywood itself.

How does Zulu measure up? I know they had to use different model rifles in the background since they didn't have enough of the right ones.

>roman movie
>character wears bracers
Almost cause for frogposting

I envy you for not having seen Sucker Punch by the same director

They wore armor. But they got the rest correct. Persians did look like they do in the film, even the immortals.

Lol

>yfw I conquered the known world as them
>yfw Leonidas was a pussy

Are you sure that's TW: Rome 2? Looks exactly like Attilla to me.

If you want to go turbo autism, the forest type isnt even native to germany.

The camera they used in this flick. Damn movie looks awful.

They might as well have been the same game. They barely changed anything besides the assets.

I also modded in War Elephants at the end because it made battles go a lot faster.

one of his most autistic videos but i still love it
back when lindy was a misanthrope who talked about history and pasta pots and not whatever the fuck he does know

That's some unprecedented levels of autism. I like it.

>King Richard speaking english
>those landing crafts in the end

JUST

So which was better, Sup Forums?

>read around on random shit on wikipedia
>inevitably end up on the Greeks, on random ancient Greeks, the wars, cultural differences
>the squabbles they have with each other
>the always looming Persian giant
>on the Aftermath section of the Corinthian War:
>"The freedom of the Ionian Greeks had been a rallying cry since the beginning of the 5th century, but after the Corinthian War, the mainland states made no further attempts to interfere with Persia's control of the region. After over a century of disruption and struggle, Persia at last ruled Ionia without disruption or intervention for over 50 years, until the time of Alexander the Great."
>on the Aftermath section of the Battle of Chaeronea (338 BC):
>"An advance Macedonian force was sent to Persia in early 336 BC, with Philip due to follow later in the year. However, before he could depart, Philip was assassinated by one of his bodyguards. Alexander therefore became King of Macedon, and in a series of campaigns lasting from 334 to 323 BC, he conquered the whole Persian Empire."
>"Alexander therefore became King of Macedon, and in a series of campaigns lasting from 334 to 323 BC, he conquered the whole Persian Empire."
>"and in a series of campaigns lasting from 334 to 323 BC, he conquered the whole Persian Empire."
I never get tired of reading this. He was just a fucking wrecking ball, nobody expected him to actually conquer it all yet he did, doing what was thought impossible. Imagine if he had survived and started campaigns in Arabia.

>tfw it was all real

t. brainlet

Now go back to your capeshit

God even medieval 2 looks better than this shite

>sallets
>french reverse d-day
god fuck that movie, but at least it wasn't ironclad

same war but the "Danish mercenaries' are full blown MMORPG pagan viking caricatures a la 13th warrior. Also pig explosion

>especially when most of the "knowledge" is just made up shit by historians
literal brainlet

>ywn immortalise your name in the pages of history
>ywn be remembered as "the Great" and be looked up to by every famous conqueror

Attila looks p good tho

That fucking ugly ass brown yellow filter. Fuck CA. Shogun 2 had far better colors.

I just want a good Alexander movie

it's pretty accurate actually

it's just the weather mang

Yeah, especially their mutants, you ass

>people run out of formation and randomly start duelling the enemy
This is actually historically accurate to romans. The youngest recruits were to brake out of formation and prove themselves before returning to formation again.

>no argument
>just petty insults
woah, so this is the power of "history" buffs

Man you guys are faggy history is for fags quit being nerd faggots guys seriously grow the fuck up no wonder you are virgins shit

kek

God bless Lindy.

t. i love marvel films

There's little difference between larping as a retard and actually being one

Bottom. Only thing you need to change is the fire rate being lowered by a quarter or half. Objectively better in every other way.

My system at the time could barely handle the sheer number of units involved in some of these battles even on Low and there was a known bug where higher graphics settings would take exponentially longer to load if you were using an HDD, so try not to blame the engine besides it being unoptimized.

>yfw this wasn't even my biggest battle
>yfw I ran out of time and ammo before they ran out of men

your mom was also known as the town bicycle in the 90s when she in highschool

This is the only screenshot I could find where the filter isn't glaring.

>pic
>le named and numbered non-Roman armies
They devised this new legion system, but why did they apply it to everyone? It's so retarded that the thing that set Rome apart the most is applied to everyone across the board. Barbarian tribes with standing armies, ew

It's hardly alone. These movies just parrot Roman propaganda by portraying Gauls/Germans etc. as barbarians. Worse, they equate barbarians with savages, so it's always like space marines versus orcs or some shit.
Reality is these were near-peer highly sophisticated societies that just couldn't match Rome's imperial power at the time.
Like if America went to war with France now, it could overwhelm it, but the French aren't savages.

Not sure what you mean by numbered but the names just make it easier to keep track and were written by me.

Spears of = predominately melee and aggressive
Cloud of = predominately archers and seigers

I think he meant the fact that every faction has "legions", a professional army
>Barbarian tribes with standing armies

Why is this thread vidya all of a sudden

Total War fans who have been driven out of /twg/ by fantasyfags looking for literally anywhere to talk about their games

Before TWR2, armies were all ad hoc collections of units, no retarded messing about with names, honors and such. They introduced the legion system for Rome to reflect the persistent unit nature of (late republic and Imperial) Roman legions, but then also gave it to everyone else. This is retarded because nobody else had persistent units besides some royal guards and the occasional individual conquering general with his gang of mercenaries like Alexander, some of his Diadochoi or Hannibal.

I don't even post on Sup Forums, just saw some anons talking about a game I used to play back in the day.

>Friar Tuck using bees as a weapon

You could handwave it in my case as I invaded deep into their territory before they got their shit together, allied and tried to fight back. It didn't do them much good though, the cold attrition did more damage than anything they could throw at my troops.

Originally wanted to mock Leonidas for dying like a chump when well-led Spartans could have taken over the world and outshined Alexander.

What boggles my mind is how did they have the man power to set up infrastructure for all that shit in that time frame to maintain control? Persian empire was fucking huge and yet this guy just steamrolls it in a decade. How the fuck did they manage to KEEP it?

He gave most of them high levels of autonomy, made it so only he could determine taxation, founded cities in key spots and razed anyone that rebelled.

>How the fuck did they manage to KEEP it?
I haven't read any actual books about it yet so it's only from what I can remember off Wikipedia articles and other minor site but:
Whenever a city or part of the empire was conquered Alexander would put some of his own men in control, or alternatively allow someone who was an "enemy" or "opposed" to the Persians. Additionally he would also arrange for marriages between the Macedonians/Greeks and Persians (granted they didn't last long because after Alexander died it all went haywire). Of course there were also people who fucked up or went "against" him so he had them executed or razed towns etc. at some point it just became known he was someone to respect. Philip did a similar thing when he "conquered" Greece, he put in Macedonians to make sure the city-states didn't try to fuck shit up for when he left for Persia. Also, the "infrastructure" so to speak was already there, just new people who ruled. You have to remember that even after Koine Greek was spread across Persia, the natives living outside the major cities didn't speak Greek, they still spoke Persian or whichever language they spoke. Same shit (i.e. normal farming, trading, life), different rulers.

>Each region or general will personally equip his soldiers with what is available

Except that's wrong in the case of the Roman empire you fucking retard

How else would you hit your enemies?

If I had a nickel for every movie that shows infantry using cavalry shields...

>Maximus being a pleb

I thought he was of the Equestrian class, like equivalent to a successful Knight. He had land after all, so he wasn't a pleb.

Sup Forums is retarded

Braveheart and their made up kilts

Someone post that webm from that Gerald Butler movie where Attila is fighting Principate legionaries

>a faggot kill 3 templars in armor with a rock and a jar
>the same faggot who got rekt by Menelas

Greek was more popular on the Mediterranean than interior West Asia.

I though they were just 3 random crusaders paid to kill him and not templar knigths

best historical flick coming through