I didn't really get this scene. why did he cut her stomach open? isn't it a bit of a generic 'i'm a villain' gesture?

i didn't really get this scene. why did he cut her stomach open? isn't it a bit of a generic 'i'm a villain' gesture?

she wasn't able to reproduce

and why would this lead him to cut her stomach open?

Wow how did I not get that? I'm a fucking brainlet

I didn't notice in the theater that that replicant was played by Luv's actress. Do I have the 'tism?

just killing a newborn baby that actually has awareness

Idk, he was mad because she could see and heven couldn't?

Wait, really? I didn't notice this and just thought it was another person. Knowing this (if it's indeed true) adds another layer to understanding why Luv sheds a tear during this scene.

She can't reproduce so didn't matter how new her model was. She was trash to him.

Do you guys think Wallace would have impregnated a replicant himself just for the hell of it?

so it was just an 'i'm a villain' gesture? it served no purpose other than showing anger, disappointment and rejection?

initially i expected him to cut something out.

but why did he care if she can reproduce or not?

This

It wasn't Luv's actress. it was a different chick.

Because he wants to make replicants faster than he can manufacture them. If replicants can get preggers, he can make exponentially more and colonize more planets

can you post a pic real quick of this character.
wew I am going to have to rewatch this whole movie a lot of things actually went over my head, *cinema brainleting intesifires*

Serves me right for trusting Wikipedia. Will have to see it again to be sure

HE CUT HER STOMACH BECAUSE SHE WASN'T ABLE TO HAVE CHILDREN IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO GET I'M A FUCKING BRAINLET RETARD AND STILL GOT IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

He could have simply slit her throat, instead of goring her like a fucking barbarian, or use his master key to shut her down

How did people not get this scene?
She wasn't able to reproduce hence she was useless to him as a tool.

i don't understand the link between her not being able to reproduce and him cutting her stomach open. i'm not a fucking moron, i understood the actual words he was explicitly saying in the scene. i'm just giving the movie the benefit of the doubt that they didn't put a really hammy gesture in it.

It really was that simple. The scene was basically Leto saying "I am an aggressive business man, and I will not tolerate setbacks." Wallace as a character didn't really shine until his scene with Harrison Ford.

It was a failed experiment. No purpose in keeping it around, just scrap it and try again.

BACK TO FORMULA?!?!

But it was fucking alive right? like already 28 year old fully grown woman alive?

He want's amke replicants faster and that's why he kills a fresh one just after it came out of a long creation process

A fucking genious

This movie isn't nearly as good as the original, the plot is retarded, just like in every other Villeneuve movie, the only good thing are the visuals.

Why should he care exactly when he can just make more?

I would say the real problem is this: He is manufacturing a lot of replicants and one would assume that "not being able to reproduce" is a pretty ordinary status quo, correct? He also said that he needs more and more of them and can't really make enough... so why kill this one while speaking about things Wallace and presumably Luv very well already know? Is it only for the audience?

It may surprise you, but although BR2049 was a great movie, it did utilize a number of cliches for quick and easy characterization. There really isn't much deep meaning to this particular scene.

>I desperately need to flood the world with replicants
>I'm trying to make them reproduce, but in the meantime I'm going to kill them as soon as they leave the chain of production

Because he's an angry little butthead sperg. This movie has cliches, but so did the original.

hmm yeah wouldnt keeping her alive just mean there is one more replicant to help flood the world?

so what? Couldn't she still just be another enforcer like Luv or something?

Leto is the worst part of the movie. He's a silly generic villain speaking in silly cryptic dialogue. The original Blade Runner has more moral ambiguity in its "villains." Wallace is clearly a sociopathic asshole. Probably my biggest complaint about Blade Runner 2049.

Because mom's gonna freak

Replicants are made with a purpose. Like a tool. A tool that cannot serve its purpose is discarded.

I thought it was another Luv when I watched it, but it was hard to tell

True, I suppose she was somehow tinkered and not the usual model. Hell, I wouldn't think that Wallace is like John Hammond who would want to be there every time a replicant is being born so there was something special about this one.

Twisted fucking psychopath

I think Wallace and Luv as antagonists are the most generic part of the movie, but it's annoying that people think they were so bad as to make the movie itself bad. They were convenient plot devices to move the story along, but the movie has a lot to offer besides them.

the problem is that they weren't really needed

I'd rather Wallace was mentioned but not seen and Luv just crossing paths with K on a couple of occasions and acting ambiguously

He cut her stomach because when women are pregnant their stomach strechts. He was mad because her uterus was barren so he simply cut it, it was very metaphorical and lovecraftian.

It was definitely not. Her nose is different.

it was Sallie Harmsen

Post her so I can indentify her. Also link me to any nude images of her as well, this will also help me out.

>it was very metaphorical and lovecraftian.
o, it was very generic and lazy. This guy is supposed to be a genious and having some kind of attachement to replicants, but there we have the most cliche scene ever, the bad guy gives a speech and then kills somebody. He's SO evil...

already did, fren

>Kills somebody
Wrong. He kills replicant. Replicant are not viewed as someone. What he did was the equivalent of tossing away a blunt knife.

that scene was truly trash and 100% unnecessary.
He knew from the beginning, before even making her that she won't be able to reproduce because the knowledge of Tyrell how to make replicants that are able to reproduce was lost. Wallace himself said that.
Yet he mad her just to kill her off for all the Plebbitos and IMDBrainlets.

That Movie+ had too much Plebbit and IMDBrainlet pandering to be considered kino. It barely even passes for a film. It's obviously above a flick and Marvel/Disney subhuman judensau kikpig capeshit cancer, yet it will never be true kino with its flaws. It doesn't quite reach the level required for a film and yet it's ambitious like one. So therefore Movie+.

He loves them. He thinks replicants are the next step for man kind. What the fuck are you talking about, nigger?

i think theres a difference between different models. that one was built for reproduction and probably would not be as effective at fighting

>He loves them. He thinks replicants are the next step for man kind.
How can one person be so wrong...

bad writing

I've said it before and I'll say it again: movie would have been better if Wallace wasn't in it.

Keep the character, but make him some kind of mysterious figure who we never see properly and only appears once or twice to give Luv orders. It doesn't really make sense that the richest/most powerful guy ever would be living on Earth, it's a shithole and people were migrating off world 30 years ago.

Plus it would also make sense for them to take Deckard off world, in the movie it made almost no sense. Wallace was going to torture him, but couldn't do it until they went to some other planet, he didn't even accompany them. Why? I'm sure there's ample torture equipment in your giant pyramid HQ. if Wallace himself was based off-world then Luv taking Deckard to him would make sense.

It would also make world feel bigger, you don't get to see the CEO until shit really hits the fan.

He equates replicants to the slave labor used to build ancient civilizations. What about that screams "love" to you?

>complaining when a manufacturer crumples up a defective product and tosses it in the trash

Yes, it drives the point home that Wallace and resistance agendas can overlap a bit but they are not compatible.

Would have been the same thing however he would have killed her.

A fucking statue, BTW. Gorgeous.

Their goal overlap but their agendas are different

How did he know it couldn’t reproduce when it just got here?

t. brainlets that need exposition

>isn't it a bit of a generic 'i'm a villain' gesture?
yes

>That Movie+ had too much Plebbit and IMDBrainlet pandering to be considered kino
are you even capable of enjoying watching movies anymore?

Do you hate humanity?

but they are complaining about needless exposition though?

It's not defective. He already knew she wasn't able to reproduce, since he's looking for Tyrell super secret magical technique. She is just what he created.

So this one was only designed to be good at breeding and it couldn't possibly breed? What a waste

No the complaint is about an action.

i agree with much of your argument. "Her eyes were green" is exactly such a pleb screenwriting 101 moment. Basically everything done with Wallace was awful. I have the feeling he was foisted in late in production.
Still, I did find Goose wandering around that world to be extremely enjoyable. Very striking and more than worth the price of admission.

What's really neat if that Luv uses the exact same knife stroke to kill Joshi.

>'i'm a villain
He was just doing what was best for humanity. He did nothing wrong. Not even a villain.

Shouldn't he have known that already? How the fuck would he have known just by looking at her? Did his special scanner robots look at her and immediately tell she was barren? I imagine if she was built from a template like all his replicants it shouldn't even be worth checking in the first place since he has no fucking idea what Tyrell did with Rachel to allow reproduction.

>i agree with much of your argument
of course you do

Wallace is the Demiurge, and absolutely nothing frustrates him more than his own flawed ability to create

He acts like a god, but his failure reminds him that he isn't, and he lashes out it (the failure being her womb)
I feel like a different actor could have sold the subtlety of acting calm while really being mad af better than Leto did

What did he say in that part? "Even when we're born we fear to lose the clay"? I know I'm not even close.

>why don't characters act the way I would act in their situations, wtf this movie sucks
Is it this hard to listen to the lines the character fucking says

Even if he can manufacture one an hour, that isn't as many as 10000 pairs can make on average.

>a child can count to nine on FINGERS WE SHOULD rule the STARS

Why was everything involving Leto so fucking cringeworthy?

Maybe he'd be able to produce more if he didnt kill them right after creation? Seems counter productive, no? It was done for dramatic purposes. If the replicant was useless because it could not give birth, do we assume he stopped making replicants from that point on?

I thought that he did that to scare Luv
That could be her next

you are literally talking about a scene where he slices a woman's stomach open in anger because she was barren.

This one was likely a single experimental prototype like Rachael was and not from the Nexus 9 line.

I thought Logan was pretty lazily written. Dunno why they brought thst guy on as a writer. Would have liked David Webb Peoples take a crack at rewrites.

>"Her eyes were green"
He was lying though. Doesn't that make it a little less cliche?

>We can't produce enough Replicants to satisfy the work quota we must fill to reach out true potential
>Let's kill these perfectly fresh replicants instead of giving them jobs

Also why couldn't Rachel Clone reproduce if she was a perfect recreation of Rachel?

You don't reward failures.

>you don't reward failures
>therefore, cut stomachs open

Yeah, your mom should've cut yours too.

He cut through her uterus because she came out a failure, unable to reproduce.

She wasn't a perfect clone. It was just a lookalike shell.

>I want to colonize hundreds of planets
>I can completely populate Earth and a dozen more planets with ease
>apparently killing a single replicant is going to make a significant difference either way
You're just nitpicking. The scale is so great that one replicant isn't going to make any relevant numeric difference.

then why doesn't he go and cut Luv while he's at it? she can't reproduce either

Luv is good for something.

Luv wasn't created as a breeder replicant, user.
The one he cut was supposed to just be a breeder and she failed at that.

>all these people whining that he killed one while talking about how he didn't have enough
It was a question of scale. One failed experiment being killed doesn't matter, surely replicants die every day. The point was that he needs an entire line of breeding slaves. It also functioned well as a scene to set up the way his character behaves for the rest of the movie and establish that reproduction is going to be the single most important plotline.
I swear 90% of Sup Forums has never read a book or interacted with any art in a meaningful way in their lives. You would read Heart of Darkness and sperg out about what the harlequinn ate for breakfast or some shit.

>It also functioned well as a scene to set up the way his character behaves for the rest of the movie
it functioned well as a hammy as fuck scene in which a character goes against his interests purely to demonstrate to the viewer that they are evil. i was hoping against hope that the scene would come to serve a larger purpose but it doesn't.

Why not sell the one that is useless to him, if there is still a demand for it?

Going through the effort of producing one but not selling it off as pleasure model if it does not meet is requirements seems very wasteful.

What part of it's a replicant do you fail to understand? A product designed to serve humanities interests. It's why Blade Runners can hunt and blow holes in them with no remorse.

Ideally you shouldn't sell defects to the customers.