John Constantine vs Harry Dresden

John Constantine vs Harry Dresden

Who do you think would win preptime added for both.

I don't like how Harry is always depicted as wearing a fedora on the book covers when he's never said to be wearing any sort of hat at all, just his duster that he mostly wears to help conceal his wizard stuff (though that's not to say he doesn't have neckbeard fashion sense though)

Constantine doesn't really have much firepower, Harry would fuego his ass in a second

The artist just sees duster and fills in the mental gap

Harry Potter

Is butcher pulling a George R. R. Martin? Feels like ages since Skin Game and still no release date for Peace Talks

Depends.

Where does this take place? How is the winner declared? Is it a fight to the death? Are they allowed to call in help?

I'm willing to give leeway because he used to do them yearly consistently. It has been too long though.

In a straight up fight Harry would mop the floor with John. But in literally any other situation John would find a way to screw Harry over. He'd end up in Hell, or with no soul, or insane, or gay, or in another dimension, or fighting an army instead of John or something.

Constantine's a tricky fucker.

>you will never bang Lara Raith

Pretty sure she bangs you.

>preptime added for both.
Constantine seems to build traps for his opponents. I think the duel would revolve around Dresden trying to figure out a trap.

Imagine Harry being too afraid to use his Wizard's sight because Constantine's set up Hell signs just to fuck his brain up if he uses it.

But I agree that If he solved it Constantine would never be able to fight him magic to magic.

I suspect Constantine is more knowledgeable about magic and magical things, but that Harry is the better spell-caster and fighter.

Without prep time, probably Dresden. He carries serious firepower, both magical and otherwise.
With prep time?
Constantine, no contest. Because Constantine plays DIRTY.

truth
yeah basically this, if they're just being mind-controlled to fight to the death Harry would win, if Constantine gets to be a dirty bastard he would win

glad you mad this thread OP, Dresden Files is the best urban fantasy series I've ever read and I've never seen threads about it.

Not a fan of the comics though, the art is kind of shitty, it's like the aritists have no idea what i imagine the characters look like!

I don't remember which book, but Butcher made a joke or two about it even.

Also, to OP, if it's a straight fight, Dresden wins hands down. Anything other than 'fight until the other is dead' and Constantine would almost certainly win if it's 1 on 1.

Yeah, the hat on every cover thing is considered a running joke at this point.

>it's like the aritists have no idea what i imagine the characters look like!
I think it's more that the artist feels he needs to 'comic up' the designs. He's got the right idea, but he makes them all look like super heroes instead of civilians.

Is that Airship novel Butcher wrote any good?

White Court>Sidhe>Denarians>Black Court>Red Court>>>>>>>>>>wizard scum

he got re?married, moved, and is supposedly back on track. and as the second user said, considering his near ludicrous pace (a dresden book a year+ the fury books + aeronauts windlass + all the short stories), it makes sense that he would slack off eventually
>He'd end up in Hell, or with no soul, or insane, ...or fighting an army instead of John or something.
the last couple of books have shown that these are things that only take harry a couple day's to take care of

He did have a book come out, just in a different/new series. I can't recall if there was writing delays when Codex Alera was coming out, I found the books around the time when 4 of those were already out so I didn't really notice the delays as much, and had a lot of backlog to read through.

They could at least release a new short story collection, i've had to buy so many anthologies i don't give a fuck about just to get the one story in them, my dresden shelf looks like a mess

Infriga to immobilize, pyrofuego to obliterate, followed by Ventas Servitas to blow away the ashes.

it's not on dresden files level, but it's at least as good as Alera
i've seen a lot of bad opinions on Sup Forums, but this is up there

It's pretty good. The first half of the book is world-building, stuff happens and characters are introduced, sometimes without seeming reason. Decent development on them. The last half of the book is about as chaotic a "day" as most of Dresden's experiences, just involving several characters at once, and I think the payoff is good. Don't expect it to answer most of its questions/plots beyond the immediate one though, but that is to be expected with it being the start of a series.

We've been promised that will happen eventually, haven't seen most of the new stories because of it.

Any idea if the comics are good? They seem a bit pricy and I prefer to get them as a collection instead of individually.

Wizards are glass cannons basically, they're powerful but frail.

Not sure I have much to add on the original discussion but I was wondering if anyone happened to an old draw thread request I made with Dresden and Constantine interacting? I seem to have accidentally deleted my copy.

Eh, they're not bad, but not anything special either. Especially the book adaptations, the original stories are better

I have to admit I was more interested in the originals anyway. Thank you user, appreciate it!

He got remarried? But what about all those dedications, the fickle bastard!

Favorite book? I think Cold Days is the best one objectively(I lost my shit at the "get rocked" bit), but my personal favorites are White Night and Blood Rites

I think Harry would probably get screwed by Constantine. But then Harry would punch him in the face two books later when he gets back from Hell.

Dead Beat. Ramirez is Dresden's awesome buddy, plus Butters, and Sue the Dinosaur may be the single best scene in the entire series.

I do not get why jim has this pension to reintroducing character and their entire backstory everytime.

Part of it is because the side characters might not have had a book for a year or two and at this point its fairly easy to get confused, but it seems like he values being able to jump in pretty quickly at any point in the series, every book is someone's first Dresden.

I am getting tired of having a lecture on why Gentleman Johnny Marcone is the best choice for a mob boss every book though.

Who jumps into a series of a book at like book 10-15?

Yeah i don't get that either, a lot of writers re-introduce side characters in a series every book, but what kind of idiot thinks "oh this series looks interesting, let me just read book 7 and see how it is!"
goddamn zombie t-rex. shame the TV show was so shit, means we probably won't ever get another chance for a live action series

Is there anyone or anything John cant con? Seem to remember Constantine blackmail God/The Presence at one time

>he last couple of books have shown that these are things that only take harry a couple day's to take care of
He shook off being given the gay in a couple of days? What a whore!

would be interesting to see Constantine try to con Marcone

Which Constantine though? Because he's pretty much a Pew Pew kind of mage now. And Harry is better at Pew Pew.

It's funny how power levels escalate with every new book in every single fantasy series, people here keep saying how powerful Harry is but if you reread Storm Front now he'd pretty much be a gnat

Anyone here read the iron druid?

Is it good? I'm about to finish an audiobook and don't have anything else for tommorrow.

found it boring. honestly.
read prince of thorns instead.

It's alright
What's a good torrent website for books?

audiobookbay.me

Thank you.

aren't any. unless a series is hugely popular chances are you'll have trouble finding a torrent

>audiobooks

you fucking plebeian

I have. I wasn't super impressed. The main guy is incredibly overpowered compared to any of the threats he faces, even worse than Dresden.

Instead, I'd recommend either the Libriomancer series by Jim Hines or Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series.

I work as a cashier. I can't really read normal books, but I have a lot of time to kill. Audiobooks work. Sue me.

Constantine. Dresden's whole thing is he's the underdog but he's gained so many bullshit powers and privileges he looks like a reality warper next to Constantine. Ergo, Constantine wins.

hell at this point a more appropriate fight would be Dresden vs Dr Fate

>I can't really read normal books

Are you blind? Because if you're just talking about reading books on the job, that's not something you're even supposed to be doing, a cashier is constantly interacting with customers and doing cashier stuff, how do you do that with earphones on?

We get maybe three, four people a day. I still need my sight, because it's in the middle of a mall and people sometimes try to nick stuff.

He's still the underdog. For fucks sake, the final boss is fucking Cthulhu, it was necessary for him to get a power-up

yeah but that's kinda how war works you either get stronger/smarter/better armed or you die, and Harry's pretty much been at war for 10+ years in the books.

it depends on who can out-keikaku the other, since Dresden has a massive leg-up in both magical power and knowledge

Constantine seems like the obvious choice, but Dresden has way more connects at this point and has been getting a lot wilier since he died

and really Dresden could just shoot Constantine

I was really hoping that when Constantine showed up on Arrow, they would have him and Lance interact and throw in some line that referenced the Dresden Files somehow.

I'll always have my fanfiction

Constantine sets up some elaborate anti-magic trap, Dresden shoots him in the arm, Constantine goes "I like you mate"

Lance: So what, you tellin' me magic is real now?
Constantine: Don't worry, you wouldn't be good at it.

I don't think even Dresden fans remember the show. Bianca was hot though

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden.

Constantine actually has a huge advantage over Harry if he can find out how Winter Law works, since Dresden can no longer act against it without serious consequences. Which means that Constantine has a bonus to invoking deals.

kek'd

isn't the whole point of the Knight that they can act outside the confines of Sidhe law?

I don't really like the Winter Knight stuff, I was much more interested in Lasciel's coin, shame that ended on a bit of an anticlimax

Not that guy, but with long travels in bus and while jogging, I found myself tired of hearing the same music as always, and reading digital is terrible for me, hence why I take the time listen to audiobooks to keep going.

Most complicated book I listened to was Metro 2033 though, I wouldn't want for a second to listen to the Odissey or BotNS.

I'm just saying that there's no way to make Dresden the underdog in a match against Constantine

So place your bets, who will Dresden end up with, Molly or Murphy.

Murphy's mortal and that puts a dampner on the whole Dresden being long lived, but it's implied she's going to become a Knight of the Cross at some point, or knowing Butcher she'll become the Knight for Summer and gain longevity also.

Or Molly, who always had the hots for Dresden and now is the Winter Lady and has some sense of control over Dresden as the Winter Knight, but bound by her rules she can't fuck and has to remain a virgin.

Not listening to the excellent rendition by James Marsters and calling other plebeian.

They can act separate from Mab, but the law of the Winter Court itself still is binding to him. He can betray Mab for instance, as Slate did, but he can't harm someone who's become a prisoner under Winter Law. Its basically being a Sidhe-lite, and isn't really discussed much

I disliked the Winter Knight stuff, but with the new Winter Court additions that should hopefully get more complicated. Lash was a QT and I wish there was more of her, and more Harry and the Denarians.

I thought it only applied in the Winter realm

I'm curious as to how Dresden is going to get out of becoming a Winter Knight, and by proxy Molly out of becoming a Winter Lady.

I think Small Favor, Turn Coat, and Changes are a pretty great string of books. Favorite might be Small Favor though because Demonreach is cool as hell. Betting that it being compromised will be kick off the BAT

Butchr has said Molly and Harry will never hook up, he probably thinks it would be too "creepy".

>listening to Spike reading Dresden

too confusing

Murphy will die tragically

Molly will become the Winter Queen

Harry will be freed from Winter, and become the new Merlin for the new Arthur, Maggie

did the show pilot spoil the entire series and who may be running the black council? its his uncle
i loved the meta level jokes

yet all he does is hint at Molly's throbbing loins and constantly have other characters tell Dresden how it's obvious Molly is just desperate for him.

And now Molly is Winter Lady and Dresden is Winter Knight in a reverse of their original master/apprentice relationship.

And if you read the latest short story involving Molly in the collection Shadowed Souls, she's just going to be constantly horny but has to remain chaste by Winter Law. So yeah...

I feel like an uncle would've come up by now

Denarians are cool, shit every type of creature in the series is insanely cool and engaging except for werewolves, who are as shit as they always are in urban fantasy. no respect for werewolves anywhere

>Maeve was a virgin
I don't believe you, Jim

But they allowed for my favorite Dresden short story, which just builds up into Anastasia walking in on some sort of new age furry orgy

Well I don't think Dresden has any noble/royalty Kingblood in him though.

It's implied that to hold a Sword they need to have some noble lineage with King/Royalty in their history.

Unless when it was revealed that Harry's line of teachers started with Merlin and that he's related to the original Merlin and that Merlin himself is somehow royalty, I don't think Maggie is going to become the psuedo Arthur if she doesn't have any kingblood in the family line.

Or Butcher does an asspull and says that Susan Rodriguez was roylaty somewhere in her line or that the vampire line is considered royalty and that's enough to become a Knight.

go back far enough and pretty much everyone's got some royal blood packed in there somewhere.

its the long play user. he brings up his uncle alot in the books. i dont see how he could not show up eventually. hell events from book 3 still havent shown their full consequences.

Iron Druid Werewolves were more intresting then the normal run. They have the normal super speed, senses, strength and shapshifting but they also are immune to magic. Their own real weakness is silver or a fuckton of physical trauma. So they are like tanks against squishy magic users like Witches.

Dresden's mom's last name is LeFay

Morgan Le Fay was Arthur's half-sister

Well in the latest short story with Molly it's said that by Winter Law she can't fuck anymore, and that she'll have to learn some meditation techniques to get a handle on her newfound horniness.

If she tries to fuck anybody the Winter Lady power kicks in and she just totally destroys whoever is trying to fuck her.

And yeah it was implied Maeve was a slut but there's always loopholes to the Sidhe laws. So she probably found some other way to get her rocks off but as far as actual penetrating sex goes the Winter Lady isn't allowed to fuck.

>his uncle
you mean Justin DuMorne? he's not related to Harry

Fuck this thread, I now have to re-read 15 books and god knows how many stories. Do you assholes have any idea how time consuming that will be?

well, spoilers i guess for anyone reading - harry's grandfather was in the direct line of apprentices that goes back to merlin himself. so maybe there was also a familial connection. i think i heard someone say that harry would involve himself in time travel shenanigans and become merlin at the end of the series, which is ridiculous

15 days?

Maeve was contaminated by Nemesis, same as Aurora. Both of them were then able to lie and go against the Sidhe laws.

When does Dresden bring up his uncle?!

It wasn't her real last name, she dropped her original last name. It was original McCoy since she was the daughter of Ebenezer and it's implied she got nicknamed LeFay for her ways with magic.

But who knows maybe she conned the name herself after doing some research herself. But as far as the books go it's implied that she was half nicknamed that/half accepted the name to hide that she was related to McCoy.

Neither. Butcher will keep dragging it out for every ever until all the female charcters die around Dresden and he wipes out a half dozen supernatural threats. Each one tempting him with their sexiness.

It's kinda of annoying really. Just fuck already. Not this bullshit about how Dresden needs a committed relationship.

more or less ridiculous than zombie T-rex

in the tv show dumorne was his uncle