I haven't read any comics before, aside from the Sonic ones when I was a kid. I usually hang out Sup Forums...

I haven't read any comics before, aside from the Sonic ones when I was a kid. I usually hang out Sup Forums. But I watched Luke Cage recently, and something about felt different than any superhero movie I've seen. Like, where he'd go into those moralizing lectures about always moving forward and fighting injustice, I know a lot of people fund them corny as fuck, but something really clicked with me. I don't know how to explain it, but I loved that feeling.

I guess it felt inspiring in some way. I know this is a really vague request and all, but are there any other comics you think evoke an inspiring feel like this?

Flex Mentallo

It's the difference, for me, between 'street level' heroes who have their conviction alone (or with minor powers, like Luke) and guys like the X-Men or Avengers. They resonate, because they deal with stuff that happens far too close to home in real life.

Daredevil is the big one, in this regard. Batman, obviously, but 'duh'. Jessica Jones is a lot more cynical, but it still gives me that feeling.

But yeah, there is a reason Luke Cage stayed somewhat popular, even after his own series ended. He was always more than just black power fantasy the hero. He had been inside, he got out, and even if he did it to make a buck, he wanted to help people. That actually pretty rare these days.

Daredevil Born Again specifically. Might probably be not exactly it, but it's a great story that tells about a man who out-survived being in absolute fucking low, like, Matt got fucked up.

To me, Matt's victory over Kingpin lies in the fact that Kingpin rained hell on him, took his powers to absolute limits and still didn't manage to take Matt physically and especially spiritually down. I really liked that, because, what the fuck else Kingpin can do to him?

Ending is best part, even though it was an afterthought and it got so fucking great it leaked onto Captain America Matt never physically challenges Kingpin again, instead Kingpin shoots himself in the foot by literally dropping a Nuke on him.

And also, I think what might be just right for you is Amazing Spider-man by JMS issues 498-500, Happy Birthday arc.

>minor powers

Well, he is on the upper scale, but at the very start bullets at least bruised him, and he could lose.

Born Again is straight up one of the best superhero comics ever so I can definitely second this user's recommendation.

Not even joking here, try reading some Shonen Manga.

I know right?
BEST Netflix show, by a country mile. Real fucking happy it's getting a S2.
>when your series' so black it ends with a superpowered WorldStar fight

Watch BvS and MoS

>What are some comics
>watch these movies

>Killing Joke
>Kingdom Come
>fucking The Nail
>no TDKR
>no Miller Daredevil

Better?

Shouldn't this be on Sup Forums?

moderately

Secret fucking war?

Sup Forums = saner, non-tumblr Sup Forums without comics.

Anything in particular you'd suggest? I understand where OP is coming from, but I never really got that feel from any manga I read.

>Kingdom Come
What? Is Sup Forums hating Kingdom Come all of a sudden?

Killing Joke is garbage mate, it's carried solely by the inker, and if you're unfortunate enough to find the recolored version you're in for a generic joker / batman story. Joker's role in Mask of the Phantasm was far better than his role in Killing Joke

This is shilling.

>Sup Forums = saner
they literally have one guy making upwards to 50 bbc pedophile post at night (just last night he posted 50) and all the mods do is delete the pedo shit but keep the entire bbc thread up

Contrarianism

Boku No Hero Academia has some of this kind thing. Moving forward and fighting injustice are pretty stereotypical shonen tropes. In One Piece most of Luffy's battles are won through sheer grit.

There's something really wrong with people who can only read street level shit.

I've seen a reasonable amount of KC hate over the past couple years. Writing-wise I think it's pretty weak nostalgia-wanking and Ross' art is a bit controversial here for being stiff and looking posed (because it is).

>implying the original coloring was any good

Fuck off. Just generic 80s nonsensical flashy shit. Recolored version does look boring, I'll give you that

sorry about your taste, user

Oh my fucking god dude you are my fucking hero right now

At least the 80s psychedelic coloring did something to add to the story being told while Joker is torturing Jim, everything is discolored other than Joker himself. Cool, but it doesn't save Killing Joke from being a steaming pile that jokerfags cling to because it was written by Moore. It's popular for being the only Joker story that casuals can name.

>Written by Joe Kelly
Holy fucking shit, really? That's so based, how is it that this man has written a majority of my favorite cape pages and I didn't even know it was him?

I'm okay with psychedelic colors for some panels but for others like pic related, it just makes no sense. It's just an eyesore

Yep. I forgot to spoil it though.

oops

Do you happen to have the page he wrote from Gauntlet, where Spider-Man convinces Rhino not to put his suit back on? That's a personal favorite of mine.

Also pic related
Nope sorry user. I looked for it in the archives but I'm not seeing it

It makes perfect sense, it's not the real world. The garish colouring of the original makes it seem like the entire comic is tainted by the Joker's presence. It's representative.

Not him, but I'd say Medaka Box. It's also something anyone who likes meta stuff should read.

But the effect on the coin makes it look more metallic, and there's much more detail on the computer. Expressive lighting makes the Batcave look more secretive and weird, whilst the straight colours make it look more systematic and objective.

I think both colour-schemes are acceptable, one invokes more the Joker's mindset, and the other Batman's.

>metallic
It looks like the reflects in oil...

Ewing's Mighty Avengers.
If I posted the page I want to it'd defeat the purpose of reading it, since it's from the last issue.

>moralizing lectures about always moving forward and fighting injustice, I know a lot of people fund them corny as fuck

It was also nothing like his comic persona

IDK, modern Luke Cage gets into plenty of moralizing speeches.

Like, often.

Yeah but none of them were like the "pull up your pants" type of speeches he gave on the show?

>Do you even know who Crispus Attucks is?

Cringe shit like that. Plus Luke should be from the streets of NY so the types of speeches in the comics have more an impact than an outsider coming in.

It's very pleb tier so you've probably already read it, and very very far from the street level we're talking about, but try All-Star Superman.

I second the Daredevil suggestion as well. My go-to street level recommendation is Ennis' Punisher, but it's waaaaaay darker than what you're asking for.

All of those can be found on shit like viewcomic and comicastle, as well. Or on good ol' torrents, or the Sup Forums archive.

Oh, no, not that specifically. Cage going from a harlem gang banger to the son of a georgia preacher was a massive tonal shift. Comics cage is more about responsibility than respectability.