Here's What Happened At The DCEU Meeting A Few Days Ago

Now for obvious reasons I will remain anonymous. I have information regarding the meeting that took place at DC Comics a few days ago regarding their cinematic universe.

The meeting briefly talked about Justice League and Wonder Woman. They are very high on Wonder Woman and they will start showing test screenings to audiences soon. Justice League is still a long way to go in terms of editing. Both films will release their next trailers in March and be attached to Skull Island. Aquaman was also briefly talked about. The actor for Black Manta has been cast but is a secret only a few know.

The four big films that were discussed the most were The Batman, Gotham City Sirens, Shazam and Green Lantern Corps.

The Batman is a lot further than Ben Affleck and the studio are letting on. Zack Snyder and Geoff Johns have been helping with the pre-production of the film while Ben Affleck has been busy promoting Live by Night and with award season. Michael Wilkinson will be costume designer for the film. Deathstroke is one of the villains of the film but he isn't the only one. He simply interacts with Batman the most in terms of action. The film will begin principal photography in April and the studio is fast tracking for a April 2018 release date.

Gotham City Sirens was also heavily discussed. The studio believes they will start shooting by summer this year and are aiming for a Summer 2018 release. Most likely the film will take Oceans Eight release date as Warner Bros will push that film forward. The early pitch is to have The Riddler as the villain who will start off as an ally of the Sirens. They are still looking for actresses for both Catwoman and Poison Ivy. They are aiming for a older more mature Catwoman while Poison Ivy will be around Harley Quinn's age. Interesting note: Batman might not appear in the film at all. They want to make this film about the Sirens.

Shazam is still on track to release April 5th, 2019. The film is also in further development than many believe. The are aiming to start principal photography around November. The actor for Shazam hasn't been cast. Auditions will start soon. The top candidate to direct is Brad Peyton. One actor has been cast for the character known as "The Wizard" and Henry Cavill will be reprising his role as Superman. It seems the first act of the film will focus on Black Adam's slave origins and Billy Batson's life. The second act will focus on Black Adam hunting Billy and Superman interfering and the final act will be about Shazam and Black Adam concluding their rivalry. Shazam won't be the only film Black Adam will appear in. The Rock has a deal for three appearances in the DCEU. The early idea is to introduce Black Adam in the Aquaman mid-credit scene.

Finally, Green Lantern Corps started development. The film will be coming out June 14th, 2019. The villains will be the Red Lantern Corps and "rage" will be something that John Stewart will struggle with which is why Hal Jordan will initially be against the idea of him being a Green Lantern. John Stewart comes in as a replacement for Guy Gardner who gets injured. The film will also focus on Hal 's past and how he lost his friend and mentor Sinestro. Geoff Johns worked on the story for half a year.

Justice League 2 was also briefly discussed. The film has been delayed to November 1st, 2019 to make room for Green Lantern Corps and because the studio wants every Justice League film in November every two years. Right now the plan is to move forward with Darkseid as the main villain but the ideas of using the Injustice League or the Throne of Atlantis story arc have been discussed.

Right now the planned slate is: Wonder Woman (06/02/17), Justice League (11/17/17), The Batman (04/06/18), Gotham City Sirens (06/08/18), Aquaman (10/05/18), Shazam (04/05/19), Green Lantern Corps (06/14/19) and Justice League 2 (11/01/19). There were no discussions about The Flash, Cyborg, Justice League Dark or Man of Steel 2.

>the Aquaman mid-credit scene
Ya blew it

>Now for obvious reasons I will remain anonymous
Wouldn't want your uncle to get fired from Nintendo.

Fake but all very plausible and conservative guesses.

I hope GLC is a "soft reboot" like The Incredible Hulk was, where it isn't actually a sequel to the blunder of a first movie but basically assumes the audience saw it so knows what the deal is already.

And all this mucking about with Darkseid and Steppenwulf and now talking about Throne of Atlantis?

GUYS

EVERYBODY knows who the enemy of the Justice League is:

THE
LEGION
OF
DOOM

The benefit to using the DCU is that everyone already knows who these fucking villains are. If Marvel wants a team of supervillains, they have to scrounge together scraps from all their movies. DC can put out a movie with Luthor, Bizarro, Brainiac, Sinestro, Captain Cold, Black Manta, Cheetah, fuck you can even replace Riddler and Scarecrow with the goddamn Joker. You have the best villains in the world right here and you're pushing Corrupted Superman and endless Parademon mooks so they can all punch Darkseid together at the end.

No. His uncle would get fired from NASA

>more mature cat woman

my cock is ready

They had a credit scene in Skwad

Shazam is being done by New Line and isn't supposed to be crossing over with the other films.

> black male
> struggling with Rage.

I'm supposed to believe that they would green light this idea?

That was before, have u not seen The Rock's instagram? Cmon, at least do research before shit posting

Black people hit women when they are enraged, that's common knowledge

One and only thing I hope from this whole thing is pic related. Give it to me and I'm all yours

>Their relationship is good because it's built on lies

Nice thread but since you didn't call anytime a "mess" the Mouseketeers are going to ignore you.

>Zack Snyder and Geoff Johns have been helping with the pre-production of the film while Ben Affleck has been busy promoting Live by Night and with award season.

>award season.

Well, it isn't like Snyder will ever need to worry about that.

>Ivy is vegan
>implying Ivy would EAT plants
If anything, she'd eat only meat because plants own the world and animals are lowly creatures they allow to walk around on it.

That was before, have u not seen The Rock's instagram? Cmon, at least do research before shit posting
what an odd sentence

>patethic shipper

Kill yourself, cancer.

>Zack Snyder and Geoff Johns have been helping with the pre-production of the film
Why is Snyder still allowed within a hundred feet of these things?

>The film will also focus on Hal 's past and how he lost his friend and mentor Sinestro

Were they ever really friends?

That's how Hollywood works. You fail upwards.

Doesn't Ivy photosynthesize?

Johns says yes so we're all gonna have to live with it.

>Zack Snyder and Geoff Johns have been helping with the pre-production of the film

no wonder Ben wants out

And yet for some reason she's a vegan. I never really got it either.

It varies from continuity to continuity.

>Skull Island

christ

i mean why would anybody want to be attached to a movie that's almost guaranteed to fail

she could eat dead leaves or even parasitize living plants and still be in her comfort zone

Betty White as Catwoman

I don't know what to think about Skull Island. It looked serious when I saw the Comic Con footage but then Warner Bros did a complete 180 and came out with this comedic trailer afterwards.

>: Batman might not appear in the film at all. They want to make this film about the Sirens.
Bullshit. Batman will be in about 15 minutes of the film, and about a 1/3 of the trailer.

The only believable thing in here is Geoff inserting his Hal/Sinestro OTP in the GL movie.

>green light
i see what you did there

nope

Snyder paid for development of the DCEU using the money he earned from Man of Steel, for which he had an incredibly good deal because it was believed to be a career-killing movie during preproduction.

Because he made it far more successful than it had any right to be - or at least, because he had a contract that gave him first option on any future developments and the wit to invest - he's making money hand over fist and using that, in a reciprocal arrangement, to fund further development (as both he and his wife Deborah Snyder are producers on all these movies - ie they put up some money, though they're also taking on other producer roles).

Without Snyder WB would have been content to just let the whole thing go unproduced - they're a major studio and have plenty of other things to do. But because they've now entered into this arrangement, if they chose to stop dead and simply cancel the upcoming movies, the Snyders (and other investors) would be able to sue for lost earnings, since the movies do actually make a lot of money at the box office, even if they're not really making a huge profit for the studio after costs are taken out.

tl;dr Snyder owns the project.

Yeah but Black Adam seems too disconnected from Aquaman, it's kind of absurd to have such a tiny thing like that planned already

Dunno if I believe that, but interesting if true.

I can believe the thing about MoS being considered a career-killer, as can anyone else who knows anything about Superman Lives.

But I find it hard to believe that WB wouldn't have producers crawling all over them to make superhero films with the success of the MCU, as appeared to be the case with Green Lantern.

All the internal development histories of the various DC movies are so fucking interesting, it's unbelievable how much money has been left on the table over literally decades, and how many disasters have been avoided by tiny quirks of fate.

Thor's hammer doesn't really have shit to do with Iron Man (though Iron Man 2 is basically an Avengers commercial anyway)
Originally Captain America was going to be teased in a post-credits scene in Hulk
Getting Samuel L. Jackson to be Nick Fury out of nowhere in Iron Man 1 when an Avengers movie was not even in any sort of planning stage was an insane move that paid off

Basically, you use what you have. Aquaman is gonna be wrapping while Shazam! is getting ready to start shooting, so it's easy to grab some footage of Rock in costume or use some test CGI for a teaser.

I kinda hope not though because Marvel's made the whole teaser thing its signature, I really don't want DC movies to just be following the leader.

Green Lantern happened in the middle of Man of Steel's production cycle; it basically killed any momentum for a shared universe (as had happened before in 2006 when Superman Returns flopped, leading to the cancellation of the planned Batman/Superman movie).

Man of Steel was made at a time when WB owned 50% of the Superman rights and were likely to be sued for lost earnings by the other rightsholders if they didn't move to produce a new movie. While Superman Returns was a financial failure, this had been because WB had spent tens of millions over the course of the previous decade on legal fees, first to kill off the popular Superboy show (and pave the way for their own Lois & Clark show) and later to re-acquire the Superboy and Supergirl rights (leaving them able to finally put Smallville's "young Superman, Clark Kent" in the costume and use Kara in the show, and later to produce a Supergirl show). Superboy and Supergirl finally came back to WB in 2005.

MoS was made to be intentionally bad/a massive departure from earlier incarnations so that it wouldn't make money and WB could avoid paying anything to the Siegels, who looked set at that time to continue owning Superman 50%.

In January 2013 the earlier court decision to award 50% of the rights to the Siegel estate was reversed (and three years later the reversal was confirmed at appeal - Siegel's widow did in fact transfer the rights to Superman to WB in 2001), but obviously all of this legal work (and shady legal work, in the case of the Superboy show) had to be paid for, so most of the cost was set against the biggest Superman production at the time, and this meant it had a severely swollen cost to pay off - making it a flop.

In the end, MoS made money unexpectedly, catching WB off guard and also paying 10% of the gross to Zack Snyder, a bumper $68m.

In the context of the many comicbook flops WB has made this century (and last), it's not hard to see why there's little enthusiasm for it.

>tl;dr Snyder owns the project.

Bullshit. No studio would be that stupid.

Sony and WB are that dumb if we're going to be honest.

wanna bet?

>MoS was made to be intentionally bad/a massive departure from earlier incarnations so that it wouldn't make money and WB could avoid paying anything to the Siegels, who looked set at that time to continue owning Superman 50%.
That's the part that's still hard to believe for me. Though I could see that being the hope of the heads of WB, everything else about MoS looks like it was an attempt to recreate the success of The Dark Knight as closely as possible. IIRC they did everything in their power to get Chris Nolan to direct but he adamantly refused and the best they could get was an executive producer credit, though I've heard at least one story say that he was very involved at some point. And of course getting Goyer to write the script. Though it could be it was Snyder himself who was the executive who wanted to get the Nolans and Goyer involved.

And then there was the unbelievably huge marketing campaign. Though maybe that was part of the scheme to make it not make money?

I don't think you really understand how the industry works. There is no "studio". It's just lots of different people with different agendas, different ideas of how things should go, and different amounts of money to throw against things they want and things they want to go away.

If Producer X thinks Movie Y is a stupid idea that Producer Y is pushing, Producer X may do everything in his power to make Movie Y fail, just so that he'll look better when he's right about it failing. Both Producer X and Producer Y might be in support of Movie Z, but have differing ideas of what it should be like, so Producer Y might want to help Producer X's Movie X get off the ground so that Producer X focuses on that and Y gets to work on movie Z. Or, he may make Movie X fail so that no one will give X the money to make Movie Z and give it to Y instead. Oh, and maybe while Producer Y is doing Movie Z, Producer Z likes the way it's looking and decides to invest in it, but now Producer Z starts using his power of money to fuck around with the movie and do whatever he wants to, resulting in a clusterfuck of Producers X, Y, AND Z's ideas.

This is why most Hollywood movies that aren't personal art projects are fucking horrible.

Except Producer X, Y and Z can't do shit without the people like the head of WB films department, the board or the presidents approval.

No fucking way would people like that give the rights to one of (if not the) most lucrative properties to an individual director/producer. Especially not during a superhero boom.

>The early idea is to introduce Black Adam in the Aquaman mid-credit scene.

Mid- and post-credit scenes need to fucking stop.

They don't GIVE the rights. The board doesn't approve things personally, they just look at numbers and pull/push funding accordingly. And many of those same board members are producers.

The studio signs deals with the directors. In this case Deb Snyder is a producer for the studio, who signed a deal with Zack. Deb, on behalf of the studio, used her share of the funding, along with her personal wealth, to pay for the Superman movie, and so she and the other producers who put down money have say over how this movie gets made. So, according to user, she and the producers signed a deal with Zack Snyder that would net him a rather large share of the earnings (and therefore also be Deb Synder's money thus creating some kind of self-sustaining microeconomy or some shit).

Also according to user, the people in charge of the studio did not give a shit about this deal because after Superman Returns and Green Lantern, and because of the legal issues with the Siegel and Shuster estates, and likely because of some of their own feelings on the potential of a Superman movie, they viewed this movie as a lost cause and they both expected and hoped for its failure.

ALSO keep in mind that the majority of the production on this movie was done BEFORE Avengers came out, and before Avengers came out, Iron Man and Iron Man 2 were the only major successes at Marvel. Thor and Captain America were moderate successes at best. Green Lantern probably proved to the studio that superhero movies were not worth the investment unless you had Robert Downey Jr., and by the time Avengers showed that crossovers and cinematic universes were now a big deal, it was too late and these deals were set in stone.

cont.

>wanna bet?
>WB
There's a really good joke in here, but I'm not clever enough to write it.

>MoS was made to be intentionally bad/a massive departure from earlier incarnations so that it wouldn't make money and WB could avoid paying anything to the Siegels, who looked set at that time to continue owning Superman 50%.

So David Goyer and Christopher Nolan lied in their interviews when they said they came up with the idea of the movie and introduced it to the executives?

Goyer did the Man of Steel script when he and Nolan were facing writers' blockon The Dark Knight Rises script.
Goyer showed his script to Nolan who liked the idea of a Superman movie with a very sci-fi and realistic take.
Nolan introduced the script to the executives, that were already producing another Superman movie.
The producers scrapped their current project and went with Nolan's, because he was fucking Christopher Nolan.
Nolan had no desire to direct it because he was beginning to work on The Dark Knight Rises.
The executives gave Nolan and Goyer several options for new directors.
Nolan picked Snyder for some reason.
Snyder turned down because he wanted to do his Atlas Shrugged passion project.
Nolan and Goyer took days to convince Snyder.
MoS was born.

This is what has been told by all three of them in several interviews.

That doesn't seem to unbelievable to me. If that user's account is correct, it's not like Goyer and Nolan would have told us the truth.

However I suppose there is the possibility that Goyer and Nolan were telling us what they thought was true.

So after Man of Steel was a general success, Deborah and Zack Snyder had even MORE money to spend, and apparently they were willing to put up more money and effort than any other producers at DC, which is why they still have so much control over the films.

Nobody at WB can do shit because 1) Deborah Snyder is partially in charge of the studio, 2) Deborah and Zack Snyder are personally providing a massive amount of money, 3) both movies have been plenty profitable despite the backlash, so investors can complain that they're not making as much money as they could be, but ultimately unless they're going to either pull out or front their own money to take the movies away from them, that's all they can do: complain.

Remember, the four 1990's Batman movies were produced by a hairdresser who wanted to see Brainiac battle polar bears and have a gay robot sidekick, who went on to produce the masterpiece that is Wild Wild West, and who actually paid Kevin Smith to write a script for a big budget movie. He could do whatever he wanted because of the money Batman '89 made and because he got a ridiculous deal on, because the studio heads thought a Batman movie would be a flop because of the Adam West TV show.

cool fanfic

But WB still have ultimate authority. It's their properties and mostly their money. If they really wanted to they could absolutely cut the Snyder's out.

most companies are

except the best company of course

Nah, you see the people wanting MoS to be bad were the studio heads, who don't really care or look at the creative side of things and think they know everything despite always being wrong. All they saw at any point was "Superman movie". So I don't think user was accurate in saying it was "intentionally" bad, but it was expected to be.

The part where the idea was made and shown was to producers, who were the people who had the command "make Superman movie" from above. All the creative parts were their responsibility.

I can believe that once Snyder got in he took a liking to the project and decided together with his wife to fund the next movies, but not so much the rest.

It's a light and quippy movie, the cast confirmed it in interviews.

So... Nolan didn't lied about him spearheading the movie, but the producers thought the movie didn't mattered much anyway?

Don't bother trying to make sense of OP's headcanon.

>Nolan picked Snyder for some reason.

WB had to get the movie into production asap. Snyder was already an in-house director for WB and was the only one that didn't ask additional time for revise Goyer's script which was spotty at best. So he got the gig.

Johns is the poison not Snyder

It honestly seems pretty believable to me. Time Warner and Warner Bros. are fucking monoliths with practically innumerable divisions that are bound to wind up working against one another. They wind up with their own goals and eventually, they're bound to work against one another.

WB's creative department wanted a slate of movies to compete with the MCU because that was gonna be big money, but WB legal had their own problems with the Siegel estate, and Snyder, Goyer and Nolan just wanted to make a damn movie.

Of course, but they don't want to, because the movies are making money, and to these people something proven to be making money is always superior to something unproven. Hiring new directors and writers would be unproven. Snyders proved twice they can at least turn a profit.

You and I know that they could fire them and have Affleck and Johns and some other people do better movies that could probably make more money, but words like "could" are not in studio execs' vocabularies. Justice League would have to be a literal flop that did not make back its budget for them to step in and remove them.

Not producers, studio execs. People who are in charge of the money for the entire studio. They pay the producers and expect the producers to make a profit for the studio.

Producers actually care about the individual movies. Whether they're retarded or not varies, but they make the decisions about what the movie is like and who makes it.

Producers answer to studio execs. Every once in awhile studio execs step in and make retarded changes, but for the most part all they decide is "Did the movie make money? If yes, keep doing the exact same thing. If no, time to fire everyone!"

The people who do most of the retarded shit are producers and executive producers who think because they're putting money into the movies they get to do whatever they want to the movies. In the case of the DC movies, however, the retarded shit is a mix of both the producers AND the director, because the director IS the producer/is banging the producer.

So to explain: The execs give money to the producer to make a Superman movie, in this case solely so they can keep the rights. They don't care whether they make money because all they want is to keep the rights and get on with their spat with the Superman co-owners.

The producers go "OK, I want to make a great Superman movie!", Nolan gives his treatment of one to them and they decide to do it.

>and Snyder, Goyer and Nolan just wanted to make a damn movie.

You reminded me of an interview were Snyder said that MoS was supposed to be a single movie, not the beginning of a cinematic universe.

Basically what he said was that Green Lantern was the one meant to start a cinematic universe. Man of Steel, their movie, was just a thing Nolan, Goyer and him did because they were into it.

Also, he mentioned that the executives approached Nolan to merge MoS with his Batman trilogy, with the idea of MoS having an after-the-credits scene where a briefcase is shown to be delivered to Wayne's Manor grounds and when the camera approach the briefcase is filled with kryptonite. Nolan and him hated the idea, because they hated the idea of an after-the-credits scene in a movie and because Nolan didn't wanted to touch his Batman trilogy again in any way.

But then that idea of pitting Superman and Batman started to make plenty of talks and so him and Goyer got together to plot a movie where they face off based slightly on The Dark Knight Returns. Snyder, though, wanted no part on it.

Also, Goyer wanted a prequel about Krypton starring Russell Crowe. Crowe was enthusiastic about it.

you do remember how George Lucas became a billionaire, right?

>Interesting note: Batman might not appear in the film at all. They want to make this film about the Sirens.
This was probably the most unlikely thing.

Sources? I'm interested in reading more.

>he had an incredibly good deal because it was believed to be a career-killing movie during preproduction
Especially curious about this. Was it because MoS was rushed?

its a perfectly grammatically correct sentence you idiot, sorry you got so BTFO

>Sources?

OP's imagination.

Did that meeting take place in a toilet?

Because it's shit.

OP is lying.

I just came back from the secret DCEU meeting that took place earlier today.

WW is a horrible mess, no editing in the world can save it. The main strategy right now is to have shills and insiders claim it's a masterpiece up to the point of release, and denounce anyone who lays criticism on the film as a misogynist.

1/3

Justice League is just like BvS but even worse because of the terrible forced humor.
The humor is the same forced shit as SS, voices lmao etc. Ben Affleck is ready to quit acting if the film fails. Executives estimate that both WW and JL need do over 900 million just to break even due to the huge marketing costs.

2/3

The rest of the movies will probably be put on hold, until a new reboot is scheduled.

Batman will be the main focus of the reboot, and it will be in the veins of Injustice, which is WB's favourite DC product right now.

WB is keen to keep Snyder as a director, but only with a new contrat as a lot of box office money go to him and Peters as of now, leaving WB with much less profits than expected.

3/3 AMA

>They are very high on Wonder Woman and they will start showing test screenings to audiences soon
Wow, not even one paragraph in and you've proven you're a fake.
There have already been screenings and people have said its bad.

What is Oceans Eight?
>a new Ocean's Eleven spin-off with an all-female cast

Who thought this was a good idea?

Your good incompetent friends at WB!

So will the Shazam movie be a direct adaption of First Thunder or will it be loosely based on it?

What is the direction they want to take Superman in? Hopefully not Injustice, because it seems like they are, based off that Knightmare scene in BvS.

>when Superman Returns flopped,

It made more money than Batman Begins and was a critical success. Sure it cost more but why not just make the next film for less? Typical incompetent WB

>who actually paid Kevin Smith to write a script for a big budget movie

definitely crazier than his giant mechanical spider obsession.

Don't forget the Irish! They do that too.

memes aside are they even doing test screenings yet?

Doesn't Shazam follow Aquaman?

Hope is based off First Thunder. That's already a huge win.

Oh...that's disappointing.