What's your favorite Transformers media? Least favorite? Also thoughts on the upcoming movie?

What's your favorite Transformers media? Least favorite? Also thoughts on the upcoming movie?

Beast Wars.

Cybertron

And all of the Transformers movies are wonderful trash (Except for RoTF, which was just Trash), so I'm looking forward to it, especially because they changed writers.

The IDW comics.
Bayformers.
Don't care.

The old school animated movie.
Nostalgia reasons though, haven't seen it since I was a kid.
I liked armada pretty good.

The High Moon Cybertron games were fucking GOAT

I agree with most of this, though swap "Cybertron" with "every Transformers anime ever"

The Aligned Continuity, but just show Beast Wars
Robots in disguise (2001) made me drop the TF franchise up till the movie
The Movies have been very hit and miss
Loved the 1st movie
2nd was garbage
3rd was enjoyable, probably like it as much as the first but for different reasons
4th was like they took 3 scripts and mashed it together making it this weird movie where it's a bunch of cool scenes but together they make very little sense
But with this 5th one could go back to being good with these new writers but Bay is Bay more like consciously optimistic

This was both one of the finest comics of 2015 - 2016, and legitimate art.

I saw someone talking the other day about people losing creativity and doing things like watching unboxing videos and let's plays. And someone else responded they should wait for the first piece of art to come from a kid who watched unboxing videos and let's plays.

Well, this is the art that comes from you playing with your transformers and G.I. Joe figures as a kid.

war for cybertron games and movie licensed games are neato

bayformers are shit but i still enjoy the first one sometimes

nemesis prime will be in it so i may watch it, but not in cinema

Favorite: The IDW comics
Least favorite: Probably one of the shitty Jap ones.

>And all of the Transformers movies are wonderful trash (Except for RoTF, which was just Trash)
Hey, cool, someone else who isn't a tryhard who thinks they need to hate these movies to make themselves look smart. Seriously, I feel like this movie series has become such a whipping boy when it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone just wants to be able to roll their eyes and go "FUCKING MICHAEL BAY EXPLOSIONS" and pretend this somehow makes them look perceptive, as though their favorite capeshit movies aren't basically the same damn thing.

My favorite is Animated.

No, really. I could never watch any of the Unicron Trilogy shows because they were such shit heaps with the worst kid characters this side of a bad Nicktoon, nothing but the exact same lame CGI footage of the Transformers turning into vehicle mode, and in general feeling bad for TF voice acting regulars like poor Gary Chaulk having to collect a pay check from all this junk.

TFA had a *plot* and character development and feels. Okay Sari was given a Mary-Sue level plot macguffin but...again, her competition was Kicker and Shia LeBouf. She did alright for herself as time went on.

The voice acting was incredible, and my personal favorite/best of the franchise and TFA Optimus is, to some extent, Rodimus Prime done correctly. Also, Weird Al was Wreck-Gar.

As for the Bayformers movies:
1-Slow, but the ending was pretty good and made me feel like I was watching a SATam cartoon again.

2- Garbage, but I came into the movie expecting a *biiiig* Megatron v. Optimus fight and got my two bits there. Also, Old Man Jetfire was pretty fun.

3-Even Worse garbage. Optimus *lets scads of humans die to prove that the Decepticons couldn't be trusted.* Fuck this shit.

4- It's far too long, Bay was an enormous tool trying to cater to the Chinese market, but it also had alot of good moments, John Goodman as Hound, and all it *really* needed as a fix was less humans exploring the space ship and more actual goddang Dinobot screen presence.

I'm not sure how to feel about movie 5 just yet. But as with all of these flicks I'm hesitant to just write off.

favourite - Beast Wars and Cybertron

least favourite - I guess RID 2001 or Energon

I'm honestly excited, it might actually be the movie i've been waiting for.

>My favorite is Animated.
>No, really.
Is this that subversive of a stance to have? Does anyone really argue that TFA isn't one of the best-written Transformers cartoons? I watched it for the first time a couple of years ago and I was really impressed. Second only to Beast Wars, maybe, it's hard to tell since they're very different shows.

I feel like I've mentioned this before on Sup Forums and got shot down when the focus was waaaaayyyyy too much on TFA's artstyle being unappealing.

Which, fuck it. I enjoyed it anyway and thought the toys were far better than the first two movie lines.

Ah, yeah, I can see that. Transformers has a pretty bad fanbase, they recoil harshly to different takes on the G1 characters, even if they're unique and interesting. It's not my favorite visual take on the Transformers ever, but it's not bad.

I like Corey Burton Megatron more than Frank Welker now. Always and forever.

Beast Wars, Animated, Prime.

Everything else I've seen is a lot weaker, but G1's charm is hard to deny.

Man, it's weird to hear someone else say it, but I am grateful.

Corey Burton's take on Megs made it quite clear just how damn dangerous he was, and even as a severed head he put his deception skills to fucking *work*.

>Is this that subversive of a stance to have?
While there may be some TF series that seem to be mostly liked or mostly disliked, there will always be some people who utterly loathe any given series or love one that's unpopular

Beast Machines fanatics exist who hate Beast Wars, think about that, they might be a minority but they do exist

>3-Even Worse garbage. Optimus *lets scads of humans die to prove that the Decepticons couldn't be trusted.* Fuck this shit.

I mean it was clear that he had to do that....Optimus betraying the human's orders for them to leave would have made them the villains, hell it would have been an act of war....Optimus honored what the government wanted because that was his only choice if he were to respect them as people capable of making their own choice, even if they really weren't.

Hay, what was he suppsed to do, be like NO, SORRY HUMAN LEADERS SHUT THE FUCK UP, I RULE YOUR PLANET NOW AND I MAKE THE RULES

>Optimus honored what the government wanted because that was his only choice if he were to respect them as people capable of making their own choice, even if they really weren't.
This. Bayverse Optimus isn't G1 Optimus. He is much more pragmatic. He takes the most certain road to victory, because the stakes are too high to do anything else. This is why he kills his enemies and understands that innocents die. Optimus is the superhero we deserve.

If Optimus betrayed the government right off the bat and refused to take his team off earth, the Decepticons would have waged war and the humans would say THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT OPTIMUS, IF YOU JUST LEFT AS THEY SAID THERE WOULD BE NO CASUALTIES

It was a lose lose situation, people were going to die no matter what.

Uh... Forgive me, it's been years since I saw TF3 but.. didn't he actually *do* that? Betraying the humans orders and sneaking back to earth?

It's not like Optimus gave Sam a spacephone, told him to contact him the moment earth fucked up, and then left, parking his spaceship on Mars and listing to Stan Bish albums while waiting for the inevitable. ...Though that would have made for a much more awesome sequence.

Although they did end up becoming the villains I suppose since by TF4 nearly all the autobots had been killed and the deceptiocns were rezzed and rebuilt. Good one, America...

I don't know why but the movies are total guilty pleasures for me. I know they're not good but I still see every one when it comes out.

>didn't he actually *do* that? Betraying the humans orders and sneaking back to earth?
Yes, that is what he did because he KNEW the Decepticons "would never leave this planet alone", but the humans didn't know that and they believed that the Decepticons would not harm them if the Autobots left

If the Autobots refused to leave, the Decepticons would have just started fucking up shit earlier and say "hey, we told ya! we would have left you alone if the Autobots left...." and the Autobots would be blamed for it all, Optimus had no choice but to pull a switcharoo because of this and also because he was under command of the US government, but he still knew damn well that the Decepticons weren't actually going to leave which is something the humans didn't know and he would never be able to convince them of

War for/Fall of Cybertron is fantastic

tfw it will never have a third game because Activision put High Moon on permanent Call of Duty DLC duty

God, fucking this.

I feel the same way. It always blows my mind when I see people who genuinely enjoyed Prime more. Animated might have a slow start, but once you get into the groove of the show you find to love the characters and legitimately invested in their journey. The Unicron trilogy and Prime felt like a big TV commercial. Especially the Beast Hunters shit, that was product placement at it's worst. It made literally no sense to kill off two of the most interesting villains only to replace them with MarysueKing and his dollar store beastformer brigade.

I loved how Animated presented us with elements we were used to but with a twist of their own. Prime tried too hard pandering to fans with their overuse of cheesey one-liners from the 86 movie and constant mcguffins of the week. Animated actually had, ya know, a plot. A slow plot, yes, but a plot that didn't feel like it came out of a cookie cutter.

Its funny how I get more enjoyment out of the game trailers than all of the Bay movies combined

>have semi succesfull franchise that is also well recieved
>fans clamor for a sequel set on earth
>decide to go ultra jew and have them crossover with the bayformers to cash in on the latest movie
>it becomes generic movie tie in shovelware
>nobody buys it because >movie tie in game
>conclude that nobody liked the series so you cancell the series and merge the developers to the COD machine
i hate Activision so much

> It made literally no sense to kill off two of the most interesting villains
Who....they killed Breakdown who was cool but not that interesting, and Skyquake and Dreadwing? Similarly, cool but not that interesting IMO
>MarysueKing and his dollar store beastformer brigade.
What? Predaking was kind of boring but there weren't even any other ones until the TV movie, the actual series didn't feature a single Predacon besides him...and he was mostly just used as a plot device, it's not like he took a whole lot of screen time away from other characters
> Prime tried too hard pandering to fans with their overuse of cheesey one-liners from the 86 movie
Animated had G1 references and quotes as well from what I recall...
> constant mcguffins of the week.
I'll give you that namely during the "Beast Hunters" season especially

I liked both by the way and it's been a while since I've seen either but I don't think your assessment is entirely fair

Aww, the guy who voiced Rodimus in the cartoon (not the movie) died.

"Dick Gautier has passed at the age of 85. This was originally reported by Neil Kaplin via Facebook and then later confirmed by his wife, Tess Hightower. Dick was known for his incredible voice acting in the third season of the The Transformers animated cartoon, most famously known for taking on the voice of Rodimus Prime after Judd Nelson left the role. Some of his other work includes Serpentor in the G.I. Joe series and Spike the Dog from Tom and Jerry. "

His wife was a Transformer? "Hightower" certainly sounds like one

>Who....they killed Breakdown who was cool but not that interesting, and Skyquake and Dreadwing? Similarly, cool but not that interesting IMO
You missed my point. Literally every Decepticon in the show brought nothing newt to the table other than Starscream, Breakdown and Dreadwing. They had like 4 episodes envolving Cylas and even had him take over Breakdown's body after him dying only for him to die AGAIN. So, first they hint at Breakdown having a deep past with Bulkhead and possibly question the Decepticon's goals, only for him to get killed off and taken over by Cylas, only to die AGAIN. So the entire point of his character was just wasted potential.

Then Dreadwing was a similar situation but they went a step further and had him actually aid the Autobots, hence being a defector, only to get wasted, leaving the atonogists of the show with NOTHING new other than the same old follow the leader shit. Even Starscream ends up re-joining them, which was stupid as hell.

Why bother hinting at the possibility of making characters more interesting than before only to kill BOTH of them off? This is why I said I'm baffled by TFP fans. Like, you're OKAY with shitty writing and wasted potential. I don't get it. Do you even care for good storytelling?

>What? Predaking was kind of boring but there weren't even any other ones until the TV movie, the actual series didn't feature a single Predacon besides him...and he was mostly just used as a plot device, it's not like he took a whole lot of screen time away from other characters

I haven't watched it in years, my bad. I forgot he was the only pred until the movie. My point still stands he was only there for sell toys, though. As well as the point of the entire movie. I remember reading awhile back the writers even admitted to Hasbro basically forcing them to shoehorn the predacons thing into the show and apparently they had different plans for the story before Hasbro had came to them.

Also,
>Animated had G1 references and quotes as well from what I recall...

Yeah, every once in a while, though, and it'd be wayyyyy more subtle than Optimus saying "one shall stand, one shall fall" for the 1000,000th time.

I loved the line in the Animated finale, "my name.... is... Optimus PRIME!!!". It showed he's different than all the other Optimus' in that Megs and him weren't arch enemies yet. I loved how Animated felt like the origin story of their rivalry, was opposed to the same old story being recycled again.

>This is why I said I'm baffled by TFP fans. Like, you're OKAY with shitty writing and wasted potential. I don't get it. Do you even care for good storytelling?
Well, I don't know how to say this without sounding like either a dickhead or a stockholm syndrome motherfucker....but are you a rather new TF fan? The series rarely has been what you'd call "deep" over the years, I don't see why TF Prime is held to some standard the majority of the others never met...it's just Transformers, never was high art or something

>My point still stands he was only there for sell toys, though.
That's the entire point of Transformers, I'm not saying it's shit because of that but yeah toys and fiction go hand in hand when it comes to Transformers, characters will be killed to make room for new ones, who are new toys, that's part of the TF machine since G1
>and apparently they had different plans for the story before Hasbro had came to them.
Well that's pretty much the story of TF Prime as a whole from what I understand

>Well, I don't know how to say this without sounding like either a dickhead or a stockholm syndrome motherfucker....but are you a rather new TF fan? The series rarely has been what you'd call "deep" over the years, I don't see why TF Prime is held to some standard the majority of the others never met...it's just Transformers, never was high art or something

>This thing has been like this for awhile and it could be better and more interesting but I prefer it being boring for the sole reason of status quo and because its never been different

??? Animated wasn't shit though. It actually tried to be different, unlike TFP which took the easy route and just copied previous shows. I'm not saying TFs is meant to be some Citizen Kane tier shit, I'm just saying I don't understand why your entire argument is reliant on "well it's always been boring and stiff, so we should just be okay with that, even if the writing is bad and wastes tons of potential". Like, what? Do you hear yourself? Why am I a bad guy for wanting cartoons to go beyond just a cartoon and be more engaging in terms of storytelling? If a writer fucks up I'm gonna call them out on it, I don't give two fucks what franchise the writers are writing it for.

>>and apparently they had different plans for the story before Hasbro had came to them.
>Well that's pretty much the story of TF Prime as a whole from what I understand

???? You realize basing a show off of a toyline is a recipe for poor storytelling? That's not a good thing. And I'm arguing for the writers to try their best to make it more interesting regardless. Its a bad thing to kill off interesting characters and replace them with product placement, not a good thing.

>Favorite

Animated

>Least favorite

Anything written by the Japanese. Why are they SO BAD at writing Transformers cartoons?

>Thoughts on Last Knight

I didn't see Age of Extinction and I won't be seeing this one, either.

>Favorite
Most likely Beast Wars

>Least Favorite
Bayformers

>???
>????
First day on Sup Forums?

Favorite is G1, even though it wasn't the series I grew up with. I like the wild Star Trek nature of it all, and I like how it focuses on lots and lots of characters instead of just a handful.

The worst is objectively Bayformers, which goes out of its way to not be Transformers, looks like shit, and isn't even competently made.

>??? Animated wasn't shit though. It actually tried to be different, unlike TFP which took the easy route and just copied previous shows.
I never said Animated was shit, I quite enjoyed it...but TFP was different as well, what previous show was it similar to in the slightest? The closest it comes to being similar to any show is Beast Wars, with it's smaller cast but more attempt at a dramatic "serious" storyline, despite not being as good as Beast Wars sure but nothing will be as good as that
>I'm just saying I don't understand why your entire argument is reliant on "well it's always been boring and stiff, so we should just be okay with that, even if the writing is bad and wastes tons of potential".
I never said that, I don't think any Western TF series has been boring aside from Beast Machines personally...stiff? Eh, I suppose you could argue that depending on what you mean, but I've been entertained by Transformers my entire life so I certainly never implied it was boring, what I was getting at was more the idea that with any franchises certain cliches are just expected and sort of expected, and it might be arrogant to feel this way but I think the majority of TF fans pay attention to toys as much as we do fiction, so we just have come to understand the relationship between the two and how they work together, and yes there will often be gratuitous deaths that don't always need to be

It's like how fans of the Pokemon anime just understand Ash will never grow up or keep a consistent team, or fans of DBZ accept that Goku will always be a mary sue....it's just one of those fandom things that comes with the territory if you've been a long time fan

Also I think you're giving far too much credit to the killed off characters and how interesting they were, sure they could have gone further but in the grand scheme of things they weren't THAT special, man

Patrician taste, Sup Forumsmrade.

>Hey, cool, someone else who isn't a tryhard who thinks they need to hate these movies to make themselves look smart.

Nobody is saying they hate those movies because it makes then look smart. They hate them because they are bad.

If you're a Transformers fan you get to watch a bunch of human actors and soldiers do stuntwork for an hour while CG turds that look or act nothing like the characters you want to see flapping around in shakycam. If you're lucky you might even be able to tell the Transformers apart from one another, since everything is mostly silver and brown. Most of them don't even get lines, and it got so bad that they even forgot what Decepticons were alive and dead by the second movie. And hey, I'm sure the random deaths of major cast members will make Transformers fans everywhere happy.

And if you're not a Transformers fan, what do the movies offer you? The characters never make rational choices since everything they do is based on some contrivance from an outside force- they're just dragged along through earpieces by the script. The human characters have no personalities, especially Megan Fox and Replacement Megan Fox who were just pairs of tits for the trailers. If all you want to see is explosions, why not just watch any other movie in theaters? You're going to be hard pressed to find any blockbuster that isn't just explosions, and at least you know those will have actual characters in them.

Bay knows how to pay for pyrotechnics, but he doesn't know how to structure a scene so that it makes sense, he doesn't know how to direct human actors, and he doesn't think of the Transformers cast as characters at all.

Michael Bay is not a misunderstood genius, and pretending to like him doesn't make you enlightened. He's just a bad, overindulgent filmmaker who doesn't know how to make movies.

>Nobody is saying they hate those movies because it makes then look smart.
Plenty of people do, plenty of people who don't know anything about TF claim RAPPED CHILDHOOOOD because of Bayformers despite TF never being part of their childhood to begin with, Michael Bay hatred became a meme years ago now

Nobody is "pretending" to like him or Bayformers, some of us just have been following every bit of TF media, aka real TF fans, and in doing so we've witnessed a whole lot of shit, in which Bayformers might be near the bottom if not even the worst for you, but we can still get some enjoyment out of it as hardcore TF fans

GeeWun
Bayformers
Ah fuck here we go again.

>but we can still get some enjoyment out of it as hardcore TF fans

> ugly designs
> humans get more screentime
> personalities and motivations are all over the place
> majority of cast doesn't care about TF as a franchise
> juvenile jokes even by the standards of a toy-diven property

come on, man. They can be your guilty pleasure, but as a TF fan you'd have more reasons not to like it than the other way around.

G1
Berfermors

Ah fuck here we go again

>real TF fans
>liking Bayformers

That's like saying only real Devil May Cry fans like Ninja Theory's DmC.

They are bad movies, and they are bad Transformers movies.

I genuinely want to know what appeal those pieces of shit hold for you outside of them recycling random names.

And if you say "the designs" I will know you are mentally deficient.

>It's like how fans of the Pokemon anime just understand Ash will never grow up or keep a consistent team, or fans of DBZ accept that Goku will always be a mary sue....it's just one of those fandom things that comes with the territory if you've been a long time fan
Not that guy but... that's kinda why I stopped liking DBZ and Pokemon very shortly into the anime boom as a kid. And then we got the worst drecks of anime and self-serious comic books as our only TF media for years. Animated was a breath of fresh air.

>Also I think you're giving far too much credit to the killed off characters and how interesting they were, sure they could have gone further but in the grand scheme of things they weren't THAT special, man
Fuck that, they were more interesting simply by deign of being the only Decepticons outside the most boring version of the command trifecta ever:
>Megatron who's about as effective as his G1 namesake but treated like more of a threat
>Starscream who's weirdly loyal to him, up to his whole acquire-ultimate-power scheme climaxing with... him just begging Megs to take him back.
>Soundwave who is a literal mute cypher.

ANY of the other Decepticons were more interesting, and aside from Knock-Out, they were either killed off or otherwise squandered.
>Oh boy, Airachnid has control of an Insecticon hive now, I'll bet that will really pay off!
Also? Despite the Decepticons constantly suffering losses (usually due to in-fighting), there were no real Autobot casualties in the show after Cliffjumper. In the movie, Optimus delivers a big "We remember those we have lost" speech, but he only fuckin' names Cliffjumper! True, only one main cast Autobot died in Animated, but they were smart enough to save that shit for the finale, and not the first five minutes of the first episode.

>Uh... Forgive me, it's been years since I saw TF3 but.. didn't he actually *do* that? Betraying the humans orders and sneaking back to earth?
He and the other Autobots were in the booster rocket which fell back to Earth after Starscream blew up their ship. I figured they were in the booster because they knew the Decepticons were going to blow up their ship, rather than so they could sneak back to Earth. I don't remember if they said either way though.

Once they were back on Earth, they had to drive from Florida to Chicago, so it's not like they had the opportunity to stop the Decepticons from murdering most of Chicago.