Judge Thread

Hey Sup Forums, what do you think about Judge Dredd?

Other urls found in this thread:

kat.how/search.php?q=dredd
mediafire.com/folder/a9xd39hhb2c29/Comics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

IDW Dredd is trash, that's what.

(Dredd!)
Who's the judge that never sleeps
That's a law machine to all the creeps?
(Dredd!)
You're damn right
Who is the man
That would hold the law above his brother man?
(Dredd!)
Can ya dig it?
Who's the chin that won't cop out
When there's danger all about
(Dredd!)
Right on
You see this judge Dredd is a bad mother
(Shut your mouth!)
But I'm talkin' about Dredd
(Then we can dig it!)
He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his wobot
(Judge Dredd!)

>not posting the best judge dredd theme song

well i can tell you that you're reading the wrong stuff already.

>Dreams of Deadworld
fukin nice

Literally my favorite comic. Love it.

Hey Judge user I don't think I've ever asked you what your favourite Dredd stories actually are. Care to share?

here try something from here, just make sure you use a magnet link
kat.how/search.php?q=dredd

The two most obvious answers would be Apocalypse War and America. The first is a masterclass in action comics, pacing, art, you name it. And America is America.

Other than that, I love the far-flung space opera feel of the latter half of Judge Child Quest, the monumental horror of Necropolis, and the razor sharp procedural aspects and in-depth characterization of modern Wagner stories like Origins, Tour of Duty, etc.

Far as one-offs go, I love Alone in a Crowd, Spawney, anything Ezquerra painted in the late 80s/early 90s, and while it's cheesy as shit, Born Under a Bad Sign really gets me. And I really, really liked Mega-City Confidential. Fucking floored me at the end.

Can I keep bothering you? How about favourite non-Dredd 2000AD strips?

hey dude whats your least fave shit?

Hard Mode: Cant say the Hershey shooting the retard story.

Hershey shooting the ret--aw fuck you.
Eh... probably Inferno. Messy as fuck, only saved by the gorgeous Ezquerra art. From the Wagner/Grant run, Warlord would be my choice.

Of the classic stuff: Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Nemesis the Warlock, ABC Warriors, The Ballad of Halo Jones, Ace Trucking Co. and Slaine.
More modern stories that I love are Shakara, Zombo, Savage, Kingdom, Stickleback, Nikolai Dante, and the two new series that started last Christmas: Hope and Kingmaker.

How'd you get into 2000AD? When'd you start reading it?

Just started getting into dredd, read CF1-5 plus a bunch of other stuff. My question is.. Does the dredd that appearing in judge dredd megazine come in the case files eventually? or are the case files exclusively 2000AD strips?

Must've been in my late teens. I'd heard about Judge Dredd from reading articles about comics and stuff, but never really gave it much thought until I was checking out the Wiki article for Garth Ennis and saw he'd written a bunch of stories. So I went into the Dredd article and finding out there was this comic about a cool sci-fi cyberpunk supercop (a premise I've always loved) that had been going on since the late 70s and I'd never read a single page of was... eye-opening. So I got me a torrent and worked my way through the epics, then the Megazine, then the stories in the progs, and finally started reading the actual progs around the 1600s.

Also looking for stand alone recommendations that dont appear in the case files.
Lastly, is ANY of the IDW Dredd worth reading? Heard some good things about mega city zero but also heard people saying to avoid IDW totally.

Yes, the Dredd stories in the Megazine do eventually appear in the Case Files, but only the stories called Judge Dredd. So spinoffs like America get their own collections.

Huh, that's later than I thought on the progs.

Okay sweet. Is that the same with stuff like judge anderson stories? I know she has her own CF but will none of them appear in Dredds?

- Anderson: Psi Division. The first and longest running Dredd spinoff. Great series, explores a bunch of stuff you don't get in Dredd, extremely character-focused and gorgeous art. It's collected in the Psi-Files books.
- Low Life: stories about the Wally Squad. Nice ensemble cast, lovely art, very fun and endearing.
- Song of the Surfer: Chopper spinoff, very nice if you want something not starring a judge but set in the same universe.
- Lawless: one of the newest spinoffs. Stars a space colony marshall with a strong western vibe and glorious Phil Winslade art.
- Hondo City Justice: probably the best of the international judges series, starring japanese Judge Inspectors.
Of the IDW stuff, stick to their miniseries. Year One, Mars Attacks, Psi Divsion and Mega-City Two are all good to great in their own ways. But both their monthlies have sucked ass.

Yes. The Case Files are only for stories called Judge Dredd.

thanks bro. Will look into them

> their monthlies have sucked ass.
putting it fucking lightly

if you want to read what is legitimately the worst dredd comics ever, look no further than the most recent idw run

Yeah, took me a while to get into it, but it's been a great ride. I'm currently slowly working my way through the entire run now that I have every prog on my HD. I'm at the mid 400s.

Enjoy!

Judge user where do you start reading Judge Dredd? Always had an interest when I saw a thread dedicated to Anderson and Herschel

That answer is kinda already ITT.

You can start at the Complete Case Files Vol 1, though if you'd like to get some Anderson in, feel free to start at Vol 3, which has her first appearance. And just keep going from there.

I mean what I saw so far is favorite stories not really a good start point.

Alright thanks alot

I started from 1, really enjoyed 1-5 especially the cursed earth story at the start of 2, though you can get the uncensored version too now with like 8 extra chapters.

Hey Judge user, have something rare you probably haven't seen before :)

Awesome! I've never seen Smith's prelims like these before. Funny how his faces look almost Ian Gibson-ian in pencils. Thanks!

One last question Judge: why is Hershey by far the worst Judge? Did they just make tons of huge mistakes writing her, and then realise they were too far in to stop?

Dunno what it is about Ron Smith, but he rarely sells his art, and virtually never his Prelims, ive only seen one other and it was again from the trading cards he did.

Don't talk stomm about the Chief Judge.

Maybe he was a victim of Fleetway's shit treatment of original art, and he just plain doesn't have a lot of it?

Ron Smith is 94 this year, seems he retired from Art 20 years ago, them trading cards being the last stuff he did.

is that a jojo's reference?

love it to bits

I'm gonna shill my MF comics folder, has a bunch of 2000AD stuff:
mediafire.com/folder/a9xd39hhb2c29/Comics

I've only read a little but I like him overall.

he's a sellout

jojo is a dredd reference.

Check out Dreams of the Dead World, it's four short stories about dark judges, the haunting art really sells it.

>IDW Dredd is trash, that's what.

I liked the Mega City Two mini, I haven't checked out Mega City Zero yet, but I like the creative team and from an interview with 2000AD they seem to have a good idea of what they're doing and how to do Dredd proper

>2000AD is owned by a video game company
>They are just making Sniper Elite over and over again
>Still no modern Dredd videogame

Just Drokk my life up

Bolland imo draws the best Dredd and the best Anderson

As you can clearly see on this pic, 9/11 was an inside job

I like Bolland a lot but you need to broaden your horizons.

Well that isnt better than Bolland for a start, broader horizons dont mean likeing Bisley because everyone else thinks hes great, when he isnt anything special, and somecases utterly godawful.

i got deadworld in the separate progs but i hope 2000 collects it and tainted in a trade someday

Bolland originated Anderson, good reason to say hes the best to draw her

Reading through the case files is a slog, yet I still keep going through them.

Walter the Wobot is best chawacter. Judge Dwedd is vewy lucky to have him

>dat Anderson
HHHHHHNNNNGGG my dick.