Why were American 70's and 80's talkshows so /comfy/?

Why were American 70's and 80's talkshows so /comfy/?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TwcfDa0gEPQ
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLauob8AaBw3ag6DSlFnvji_Js7DfQbyM0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they didn't have thin skinned cunts on social media, and producers influenced them, shitting up the shows.

this desu senpai

More adult, less puritanical and infantilized, a bit more intelligent. People like Cavett, Snyder, even Johnny had authors and stuff on. Early Letterman was comfy af.

older 90's/2000's conan is legit good. He was my guy i grew up with. Too bad the chin man did him in.
Late night talk shows seem to have just deevolved into democrat party talking points

There was that one time Marlon Brando talked about how Hollywood was racist for showing Indian stereotypes

>You will never be a hilarious sidekick on the most popular talk show
>You will never develop a crippling drinking problem that causes you to spiral completely out of control but somehow you manage to climb out of your drunken stupor, throw a cheap Sears suit on and make it to work
>That skinny faggot prick's estate puts it online officially to monetize my famous embarrassment
>Some jerkoff who wasn't even alive is still mocking me
Sorry Ed
youtube.com/watch?v=TwcfDa0gEPQ

Current talk shows are always trying to make things go viral

brando was the guy who started all the politics at award shows bullshit. Before that it was all old hollywood glitz and glamour

Because they told actual jokes, and talked to interesting people.

it blows that half of johnny's episodes, the first 2000 of them, are forever lost. early carson is best carson tbqh. such a comfy era of tv

And had actual conversations, not just promotion and pre-planned talking points.

Dick Cavett devoted full hours of American television to talking to Ingmar Bergman and Jean-Luc Godard. Can you imagine Jimmy Fallon talking to Lars Von Trier for an hour today?

Modern talk shows are all about selling a product and delivering a political narrative.
>Monologue = politics
>Guest = selling a movie or a band
Carson was much more neutral

>You will never be a hilarious sidekick on the most popular talk show

Will Late Night TV ever be good again?

Whatever happened to that Join or Die show he had on the History Channel?

Canceled. But he's still doing stuff. He's got his daily SiriusXM radio show, and he just came out with a six episode series on YouTube where he and his wife talk to smart people like Jon Ronson, Ariana Huffington, and the Black Science Man.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLauob8AaBw3ag6DSlFnvji_Js7DfQbyM0

>smart people like......................Ariana Huffington

I mean, you have to be sort of smart to launch a publication and make it that huge. She was actually good friends with Andrew Breitbart.

this
and also "Trump did (blank)...I mean, REALLY?"

>Andrew Breitbart co-founded the Huffington Post

I know. And Gavin McInnes co-founded Vice.

Colbert might. He seems like he has a halfway decently developed sense of art. Of course, the modern American public has no desire for anything too challenging.

Yeah, but Colbert has two modes, smug asshole when he's talking about Trump, or dull stick in the mud when he's talking to a guest about something other than Trump.

I guess Cavett could be a little dry too though.

Minimal politics, dominated by the personality of the host instead of the writers, and they weren't all trying to create the next social media meme.

Fuckin Gavin founded Vice, now they couldn't be any more different

It's funny (odd) to me that people shriek "NAZI", when referring to McInnes, simply because he didn't support Hillary and calls out leftists on their bullshit. And to be honest, he's cut from the same cloth as them.

>most popular

It doesn't take much to get called a Nazi

>co-founded Vice
Yes, but not with Shane who now claims to have been the co-founder.

>Bannon would have basically been Weinstein if The Indian Runner had just made more money

>Minimal politics
different kind of politics behind the scenes tho

americans used to allow authors, painters, and intellectuals an audience on late night talk shows but now miley cyrus is an artistic legacy and national treasure

ever notice how the late night hosts wear the same basic suits and never a sport coat or blazer ... or even a cardigan or sweater?

I don't think they purposely pushed conservative values in the media, it's just what the mainstream socio-political consensus was up until the early 90's.

Because America itself used to be comfy.

fpbp