Has there been a Cartoon Network show that came close to the level of popularity and iconic ness as The Powerpuff Girls...

Has there been a Cartoon Network show that came close to the level of popularity and iconic ness as The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory?

Yes, its called Steven Universe.

Adventure Time

How?

Dexter's Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls were shows that everyone that grew up in the 90s and early - mid 2000s at least heard about

Is Steven Universe really THAT popular?

The current ones will become iconic when the next batch of kids hits our age.

With the exception of Adventure Time, none of them will come close to the popularity of PPG and Dexter

Those two shows, along with DBZ were the main reason Cartoon Network became really popular. There were other popular shows on the network like Ed, Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc., but none were up to the level that PPG and Dexter were at

It's extremely popular among college progressives who care a lot about women, minorities and different sexualities being depicted. In that sense, Steven Universe has perfectly captured the millennial generation and will be viewed as a codifier for this time period. I don't think It will retain its level of popularity, though, since it's claim to fame is simply that the characters are overweight, brown and homosexual. Once these taboos are completely moved past, there won't be much reason to watch it. Once people start looking to characters for their, uh, character and not just their race/gender/sexuality, SU wont really have a leg to stand on and will be remembered in the same way that we currently remember The Flintstones.

It's a bit like A Clockwork Orange, which was groundbreaking and shocking for the time but has since been rendered moot.

>dexter
What am I missing here?

>With the exception of Adventure Time, none of them will come close to the popularity of PPG and Dexter
You're forgetting TTGo

To be honest Craig Mackraken and Genndy love SU.

Genndy even worked on the pilot.

AT

(Laughs)

Teen Titans Go is not THAT popular. It's very popular, but not to the level that Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory were back in the 90s and early - mid 2000s.

Of course they do. If they didn't, they would be harassed non-stop.

Also, that's pretty meaningless. Craig hasn't done shit since PPG and Genndy's only had Clone Wars to his name, unless if you happened to really like Hotel Transylvania.

>Craig hasn't done shit since PPG

You're forgetting Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, which is actually my favorite cartoon of all time. It did have it's fair share of bad or meh episodes, but there's still a lot of amazing episodes that I still watch to this day.

Honestly, I try to watch Foster's Home on a semi-regular basis even to this day. I remember watching it almost everyday back in the mid 2000s and it's still one of my unique obsessions

I think your rose-tinted glasses are making you overestimate how popular those two shows were.

>(Laughs)

>. I don't think It will retain its level of popularity, though, since it's claim to fame is simply that the characters are overweight, brown and homosexual.
This is not even remotely true. It's like you saw a commercial and assumed everything you thought about it was right.

Why did you not include the winner Ed Edd and Eddy in that list? The only reason it didn't have a theatrical movie was because the powerpuff movie failed.

Nah.

Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory had a lot of merchandise and they had the most slots on CN, besides Scooby-Doo.

Also, everyone that grew up in the 90s and early - mid 2000s at least heard of those two shows. They were huge, trust me.

I didn't forget Foster's. Although I feel bad trashing it since it's your favorite show.

I'll give it another shot. I loved the pilot movie. I wish they kept Bloo's character from that

Did I strike a nerve?

I forgot that EEnE was very popular and that it was the longest running show on CN

Not him, but I know for a fact that you haven't watched the show for more than a minute.
Quit complaining about shit you don't even know about.

Wander over Yonder was pretty great.

Will Cartoon Network do anything for it's 25th anniversary?

Calling an idiot and idiot qualifies as nerve striking now?

With the new president, I don't expect anything this October.

>Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory had a lot of merchandise
That's blatantly false.

It will air a weeklong marathon of Teen Titans Go

This is bait

They had a lot of merchandise.

The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory in terms of popularity were the counterparts to Rugrats and CatDog when it came to 90s cartoons and CN and Nick. I don't wanna count SpongeBob, because I consider it a 2000s show

the 20th anniversary of the "Cartoon Cartoon" moniker that is introduced in 1997.

Have you been living in a cave for the past 10 years? Adventure Time might even have surpassed both of those.

>it's claim to fame is simply that the characters are overweight, brown and homosexual
Nah, the claim to fame is that it's a comfy pastel-colored space opera with singing about emotions

>Genndy even worked on the pilot
Right. Prolly before he knew what Steven Universe would've turned into this day.

Have you payed your bills after PPG ended, user? Craig created Wander Over Yonder and he is currently in the process of trying to make a new series for Disney.

This. It just doesn't seem like it because we're not at that age anymore, but I'm pretty sure Adventure Time has hit that level, maybe Regular Show too.

Don't know about Craig, but Genndy only worked on the pilot, well before everything that makes SU notorious came into light

Yep, this was and still is my favorite cartoon of all time. Just so many iconic episodes and great characters.

>implying anyone is going to remember that shit once it's off air

He's right. Steven Universe is popular because it draw on contemporary issues and appeal to the current generation.

In the subsequent years when Cartoonnetwork actually learn to produce their pilots i.e., Infinity Train into a full series, Steven Universe will still retain a fanbase, however, the popularity will go to IT and other series like Twelve Forever.

What do you guys even see in Infinity Train that makes you think it's going to be the next big thing?

>Steven Universe is popular
>it gets lower TV ratings than TLH, nuSpongebob and nuFOP

Hopefully announce a new patch of cartoons. Or, maybe marathon a few of their classics.

>Dexter's Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls were shows that everyone that grew up in the 90s and early - mid 2000s at least heard about

If only there were people born after le 90s kids.

that doesn't exclude it from being popular

This, it's the same shit CN has been putting for the last five years.

>making another company war post

That's not even the topic of the thread.

daily reminder that the last good Cartoon Network show was Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers also has the greatest cartoon opening theme.

That's Loudfags for ya.

that title belongs to samurai jack though

Jack is good, but it's not Tom Jones good.

>Point out a show isn't as popular as its fandom makes it out to be because there are several more successful and visible cartoons on other channels right now
>HOW DARE YOU START A COMPANY WAR!!!

This autist again. How come I never see you doing your little peacekeeper act in threads that bash Nickelodeon, Disney, TLH, Star, etc?

Agreed, but Duck Dodgers is not a "CN Original" show. it's from Warner Bros.

>>Point out a show isn't as popular as its fandom makes it out to be because there are several more successful and visible cartoons on other channels right now
The existence of more popular things means something cannot be popular? Either you're intentionally trying to start shit or you're a retard.

>trying to start shit
So basically you're still in high school or have the mentality of one.

Thanks for the memo.

>generic non-response that could apply to literally anything

Yawn.

bump

Correct

Don't know why it didn't with that post

This is both beyond sad and incredibly likely.

I'm not looking forward to when the current batch of kids grow up and claim these current cartoons were the greatest and nothing will ever beat them.

they will. whether you like the show or not its popularity isn't debatable

Because the Loud House is shit.

Okay I'll bite. user, I'm a fan of SU and TLH, and I should know that since I'm the guy who records the episodes for you Loudfags anyway so I'm not that "autist" you're sperging about. Second, ratings only mean whoever the hell has a Nielsen box and able to watch the episodes on time. Thinking that ratings equate to popularity of a show is all times retarded.

Adventure Time and Steven Universe
I think they even beat them
they definitely beat Dexter's Lab, and I like Dexter's Lab

Adventure Time.

Anyone spouting SU is delusional. No one outside a very small, specific demographic is a vocal fan, and lately this demographic has been more vocal about their dislike of the recent episodes. All the actual kids I know don't care for it.