They didn't have any better black heroes they could have used?

They didn't have any better black heroes they could have used?

They apparently didn't have any better black actors either.

Cyborg is probably their second most famous black superhero after John Stewart, because of the Teen Titans cartoons.

Why they didn't just use John Stewart is the true mystery. Green Lantern is a much more revered member of the Justice League than Cyborg.

I'd have rather seen 50cent as powerman tbqh

Because Stewart is boring as dirt.

If they wanted a rookie teenage black hero they should've just used Static desu

instead they literally do nothing with him

at least give him a costume that doesn't make him look like Kraang

What, you want a movie about a black genius with a sports jacket and a massive T in the middle of his face?

But he's more fun than Cyborg.

>Why they didn't just use John Stewart is the true mystery

Because of the Ryan Reynolds film. It scared them off GL, so now they want to put some distance between that movie and a reboot, and want to make sure they can "get it right" this time.

I would watch that. Who tho as him?

Well they did, but for some incomprehensible reason decided they'd rather have Hal Jordan as Green Lantern for the movies.

They didn't want to be accused of "othering" African-Americans by casting a black actor as Martian Manhunter. I like Idris Elba for the role.

They should've used Static. lord they should've used Static....

>Why they didn't just use John Stewart is the true mystery.

It's no mystery. Geoff Johns loves Hal too much for that.

>Why they didn't just use John Stewart is the true mystery. Green Lantern is a much more revered member of the Justice League than Cyborg.
Because DC's main GL is Hal.

>John Stewart as GL
>some black guy plays Martian Manhunter
both are better choices than the transformer dude

Yes

Childish Gambino

Yes. Because i'm tired of Cyborg.

He's like 35.

Nah G. Has to be someone who looks good in dreads and preferably darkskinned.

That's kinda sad.

Cybrog being the second most famous.

honestly that was my first thought too.

Blue Beetle (Jaime) would have better a better diversity choice than Cyborg. Still sucks that J'onn has been pushed aside as of late

Cyborg has been the black League rep for a long time. I don't like it either but it's not unheard of.

But but but BUT

Cyborg was made a founding member of the New 52 Justice League so that it had a black founding member. And its Green Lantern was Hal Jordan.

My guess is that DC editorial back then thought John Stewart worked better as a Green Lantern and now they are stuck.

Not so bad. The DCEU now has a Teen Titans connection.

They needed Martian Manhunter.

It's not diversity choice, Cyborg is literally on the Justice League.

...I meant back when New 52 started and this was literally the reason why he was placed there to begin with

desu the youngest black male actor I can think of is Tyler James Williams, who played Chris on Everybody Hates Chris. He's 24, but i definitely see him more as Miles Morales

also
>implying hollywood uses teenagers to play teenage characters

I concur, but they don't view him as a black character. That's why DC's been so shamelessly shilling Cyborg for the past few years. He's literally the Justice League's diversity hire.

I mean technically he's always been on the Justice League. I'm fairly sure he was in a good bit of Justice League cartoons as well as spinoffs back in the days.

Or...you could hire a new one.

DC has heroes?

Superfriends. A lot of the stuff modern creators do is based on nostalgia. Cyborg somehow was in the league back in Superfriends, and that likely ties to the choice of pushing him now.

If they were going to kill Superman before Justice League, anyway, Steel should've been their token black character.

How come they feel like they have to have Cyborg OR Martian Manhunter? Why can't both be founding members?

Yeah, and that was because N52 was made with movie pitches in mind, and they wanted a black guy.

hardly makes for an interesting discussion

sure, there may exist some hidden talent who would be perfect to play static, this is not new information. doesn't do anything for our theoretical casting if we can't place his name, face or talent

of course, you knew all this and were just being a smart alec

You're thinking of Marvel.

Nah because then normies would've went "I'm not watching this shit they're trying to replace supes with a black guy rawr rawr"

Cyborg has been getting the push for the belt for almost a decade now and you're still surprised?

Last I checked heroes don't fight each other every other week.

Isn't the new Spiderman a fairly recent actor? John Boyega was also fairly new in temrs of block busters and he did good.

Steel only really works in a Reign of the Supermen context, anyway. Yet more wasted potential by killing Superman in his very first teamup movie.

It's kind of frustrating there's no plans for Steel. He's an ideal "lower deck" kind of hero. Not the super-rich equipment of Batman, the hyperpowers of the Metas, Supes, and Wondy, or the cybernetic shenanigans of, well, Cyborg. Just a dude, with a suit of armour he built not because he's rich and his AI can do it while he's at a party but himself, and a huge fucking hammer that isn't even magical.

And there's obvious setup. How'd Steel come about in comics? Superman died and he was inspired to carry on the legacy in his own way and ironically the most Superman-like of the four post-death "Supermen" because, not in spite of, being the only one that was human. How could you do it in the DCEU? John Henry Irons lived in Midway or Gotham or Metropolis and was inspired by Supes or the way those cities got trashed to try and do something about it that looked after the little guy. He's not out to save the whole world, just what he can.

With the character you can do lower-stakes, lower-budget, lower need to try and make everything Meaningful and Deep and FUN and whatever the DCEU wants to try and be.

You can build the universe up by showing a little more of the ground level, with a normal ordinary guy taking extraordinary steps, where the stakes aren't that the world will explode but simply that people's lives are at risk. Have him fight guys who are working for or are part of Intergang if you must have it tied to the bigger picture somehow.

But they won't. They don't seem willing to make it have a chance to show the world as anything but seven billion dumbasses in distress while the larger than life superheroes scowl and quip and joke and speechify their way through big budget CGIfest battles for about five minutes before talking for four hours in a gloomyly-lit corridor but it's okay because Barry makes some quips and jokes and Wonder Woman's a girl you guys isn't that great a girl is doing stuff in our movies!!1!

The correct answer to who should be Static is obviously to cast Darwin Waterson

>Why they didn't just use John Stewart is the true mystery.
Geoff Johns went to high ends to protect his Husbando Hal, going as fas as even trowing Martian Manhunter under the bus

Terrific would benefit the League much more than fucking Cyborg

....Hell yea! It's be

FUN
U
N

Only since new 52

How about Jaden Smith?
Static has a deep voice though.

He literally posted a picture of Cyborg in the League from before you were probably born.

And Cyborg isn't?

We're not getting BOOYAH Cyborg, bro.

>Superfriends
May as well have cast Black Vulcan, instead.

>want to make sure they can "get it right" this time.

By hiring David Goyer and the guy whose biggest writing credit so far is the Jason Biggs vehicle "Grassroots" to write the script.

Makes sense.

Name one (1)

They should've gone with Black Lightning but as Geoff Johns is a hack he chose Cyborg.

Why not just cast a black actor to play Martian Manhunter?

>Cyborg has a "civilian mode" where he appears completely human
>Cyborg has a "battle mode" where he appears completely robotic. And has extra arms for some reason.

Isn't that kinda' missing the whole point of Cyborg?

because that's not a black character

>Cyborg is a young hero, often portrayed as a high school senior or college freshman.
>Cast a 30-year-old to play him.

I'd say so.

That's not the case though
He has a battle mode that makes him Iron Man
but otherwise he looks robotic and this scene is probably a flashback or something

as far as I know

Hell fucking no, they would've ruined him.
I wish somebody like guy richie would handle him, or someone unfraid to show the horrible street side of his origin

The Teen Titans cartoon was a mistake. They could've at least pushed someone actually cool instead of boring ol' Cyborg.

One can argue Cyborg was meant to add a bit of nostalgia factor seeing he was in Super Friends in a host of other Justice League like teams.

Pretty sure they confirmed a civilian mode.

>>implying hollywood uses teenagers to play teenage characters
They don't use 35 year olds, not since the Luke Perry days.

People are pretty pissed at hollywood for hiring black actors only to cover them up in blue or green make up. The MCU has no black women in their movies....sure are playing catch up in 2017....

Sure sounds nice from a budget/CGI standpoint.

Yes!

see

Shut up Marvelfag, nobody likes your MCU.

Because we cant give Cyborg the only trait thats made him somewhat interesting, if a bit overplayed: Coping his disability.

Who actually cares about Cyborg?
Why do they pushing him?

Don't people like Static more?

They already had a black guy playing MM in Smallville so they could just claim its a continuation of that.

Maybe they could cast Shaq to play him too.

They've been pushing Cyborg really hard for a long time now. I'm not sure why because I don't like the character myself, but it would be stupid to constantly push a character and then just go oh well I guess we'll just use someone else for the movie lol.

Static's rights are sort of fucked like Apache Chief's IIRC.

I'd argue War Machine or falcon are probably the most well known now since comic books and comic book movies are synonymous in the public consciousness but the latter is the now the dominant depiction in the mainstream since they make more money so dictate how the source material goes

Neither of those are DC. Why would they be in the Justice League?

>I'm not sure why

Two reasons. First being they needed a black character that wasn't an offshoot of a white character for "diversity", second being "Hey, the Teen Titans cartoon was popular, right?"

Well Vixen I suppose

I was talking more in comics in general since all DC has is cyborg, Stewart or Static or Mister Terrific, but noone outside of comics circles or anyone who watched old DCAU shows will even know who any of them are. So by extension the black marvel heroes are the more well known ones.
Argue all you like, you know this to be true.

I'm not saying it's not correct, I'm saying it's a retarded argument in the context of this thread and the post you were replying to.

And that's the problem. If the only black character they can be bothered to come up with is Cyborg who is pretty much a Black Iron Man at this point, then they don't have much confident in their creativity. Static could have been a very inventive addition. Terrific could have led into a Brother Eye storyline which would probably be a good direction considering how edgy warner wants these movies to be

I don't disagree with that since I don't even like Cyborg, but he is the most obvious choice with how hard they've been pushing him as the token black guy in the JL.

>Cyborg who is pretty much a Black Iron Man at this point
No, that would have been Steel.

I guess they reaaaaaaaaly want a recast Hal Jordan that bad then if they're not going with John Stewart

Steel is too much of a sidekick to be Iron Man.

And they plan on making cyborg a sidekick to the flash.

DC isn't Marvel

That's dumb. The sidekick is always a "lite" version of the main hero. Robin was shown as being like Batman but not as skilled for example.
War Machine has the suit but Tony's still smarter and more resourceful.
And Speedy just did drugs

I didn't know that.

I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

Problem with Static is they don't fully own the rights. Plus most people never saw his show and might think he was a rip off of Electro in ASM2.

I'm going to ask the most important question here: what are the chances of showers being hit?

Well in the cartoon he was the enthusiastic, big kid of the group who always threw himself whole hog into whatever he was doing and didn't mope about being half-robot (most of the time). That, at least, was entertaining.

But of course we aren't getting that. We're getting "Boo hoo, I'm half robot, it's so horrible you guys, I wanna cut myself but I can't!" Cyborg like it's some kind of obligation to show a character at their absolute least interesting point for a major blockbuster.

>I wanna cut myself but I can't
Someone hand him a can opener.

This
They should have retcon him to be older aswell