Why does the idea of going to the movies alone seem so unappealing?

Why does the idea of going to the movies alone seem so unappealing?

I go to the movies once every week or two, but I always feel the need to find someone else to go with. I don't mind eating alone or doing just about anything else alone, so why does going to movies alone seem like a big deal?

I actually prefer to watch films that I care about alone at home. Speaking in the theatre is also frowned upon, so why has society built up this image of going to the cinema as a social activity?

>going to the movies
autism

You don't go to the movies?

Being in he movie cinema by yourself is fine

It's the arriving and leaving alone that's terrifying and potentially humiliating (if seen by people you know)

The cinema used to be an extremely social event in its heyday. The stigma of going alone is a hangover from that.

wtf?

it's a marketing ploy to force people to always go with someone else and sell more tickets

of course is backfiring now when people have no friends and no social life

It takes 2 to carry your anvil

It's the norm to take your girl or a friend so you feel weird on your own.
I just avoid friday/saturday, the usual date times.
My local cinema is near empty during the week or sunday mornings, that's my favourite time

I love going to movies alone

Well, I would never judge a person for coming in alone. I myself never go alone for several reasons.

First, even though you don't talk during the movie, it's still a social experience. You meet up with your friends in town, you grab something to eat, you share your expectation for the movie, discuss the movie's production, the people behind making it, etc. Then you go to the movie, you talk during the trailers, laugh at shit movies, get hyped for good ones. And then after the movie, you can talk about what you've seen and what you thought about it. It goes back to the talk before the movie - were you expectations fulfilled, or were you disappointed, and then just sharing general insights, a la "I like that", "I did not like that", "Did you guys notice that", etc.

Second, I love movies, and I have friends who love movies. Again, even though we do not talk during the movie, I enjoy sitting beside my friends who are currently experiencing a new movie, we are watching it together - it's a shared experience, a somewhat bonding activity. You know that if you're sitting there, amazed, and feeling all sorts of emotions, your buddy beside you is probably dealing with the same thing, and it's nice, you know? It's nice going through stuff together.

Does that make sense?

All of my freinds went to see BR2049 when I couldn't, and I know my gf would hate every second of its 3h, so I went alone

I chose a seat at an empty row

Suddenly somebody starts kicking my seat. There is a kid right behind me. After a couple of kicks I say loud "could you please stop"

He doesn't. But right now the movies is dark as fuck and I know if I turn myself back I won't see shit. I wati for a good 20 minutes until K gets to Las Vegas and everything is orange and I guess I can see people's faces.

I get up, I turn around, I look at the kid and say "Stop kicking my seat", then I look at his father, sitting right next to him and say "Could you tell your son to stop kicking my seat?". He looks at me confused and lean towards me and asks "What?" "Tell your son to stop" Again "What?" I think, is this motherfucker kidding me? I get really fucking mad, I lean closer to the guy and say in a very unappropiate loud voice "Your fucking son is kicking my seat and I'm fucking sick of..." as I say this I realize the kid is making me gestures and looks scared as fuck. I look at him and he tells me "he's not my dad. I came alone"

"Well, then just stop"

I mumble a "sorry" to the guy I was willing to kill two seconds ago and go back to my seat remembering why I don't go anywhere alone without somebody to restrain my levels of autism.

And that kid went alone to see the movie

What a fucking loser, hah.

lol why didn't you just move?
I saw BR2049 with 2 roasties chatting through every silent part and continuously unzipping their bags. After a while I just got up and stepped over 2 rows

What a fucking beta.
The other guy did right, he stood his ground, he put the brat in his place. Sure, the misunderstanding about the father was a bit embarassing, but hey, it was a natural assumption.

You just moved away like a fucking virgin (which you probably are), and from two females, even.

Bitch boy.

I go by myself on my days off. Always the first showing of the day so nobody is there. I always sit at the very back towards the right side above the stairs so there's no chair to my right. I get high as shit in my truck in the parking lot before I go in. Can stretch out and chill. And I get pissed if I'm not the only one in there. Plus early bird tickets are only $5. I took this girl with me one day and watched The Zookeeper's Wife because I'd already seen everything else. I whipped it out and got a blowjob while Jessica Chastain saved a baby elephant from choking to death.

It's carried over from the days of theatre and music hall performances, when going actually was a social activity filled with drinking and merriment. The music hall performers would interact with their audience just like today's stand-up comedians do, the plebes would shittalk the performers if they fucked up, or even throw things at them, and the finer folk would converse among themselves if they weren't amused because the important thing was to show yourself on the town.

At first movie theatres were treated just like any other theatre or performance, people had a merry time, someone would provide music for the movie and someone who could read would explain what the intertitles said, this naturally lent the whole thing a social air with people calling out jokes etc. Instead of the performer interacting with the audience it was the musician and reader who did. But movies could be shown with sound you no longer needed music or someone to read things out loud, and so it became a quieter affair, and the interplay between audience and performer completely disappeared. The only thing that remains today is the lingering idea that it's a social activity.

It's just a meme, like going to a see a movie you know you won't like just so you have a reason to complain about it later.

This.

>Why does the idea of going to the movies alone seem so unappealing?

Unless the film is Kino and a must-watch there is no point in paying for a theatrical release without it being a friendly activity or linked to virtue signalling.

>Speaking in the theatre is also frowned upon
Of course it is but everyone kinda does it anyway. The point is to be polite and keep talk low between friends.

Turning around to tell 2 twenty somethings to stop talking in the cinema is alpha is it?
I'd call that being a fucking douche.
If someone told me to be quiet I'd probably tell them to get fucked

I only go to movies alone and if I see couples I call the guards and tell them there's people having sex in there

Thank you, buddy.

When I do a fuck up like that I just can't stop thinking about it. I guess I didn't really liked the movie in part because of it.

Then you'd be the fucking douche, not the guy silencing you. Because there are rules, there a social conventions of how one should act in a movie, and staying quiet is one of them. You've got a twisted perspective on things. People who preserve order are not the douches, the people who disturb order and don't respect the rules are the douches.

i doubt your tv can recreate the sound effect of dunkirk

Have anyone here been alone in the cinema watching a movie? It's a strange feeling desu.

I actually often go to the cinema with my girlfriend, but I do go alone from time to time.

Our sweetest times in the cinema together were (500) Days of Summer and Treasure Planet.

One of my favourite things to do when there's good films on is book the entire day just watching films alone and going for walks inbetween each showing

When you go with people you have to deal with
a) Eating in your ear
b) Telling you they need the bathroom
c) Being distracted by having them in your peripheral vision

That said, my dad is a nice person to go watch movies with because we have similar taste.

>couldn't even tell two girls to stop chatting
no you wouldn't tell them to get fucked

Two more points:

Going out to see a movie means having to leave your house, pay for gas, pay 20 bucks for a ticket, pay 20 bucks for food, interact with the service people, sit around smelly mongrels, watch a projected screen that doesn't even use real film so it looks awful, can't control the volume, can't pause, can't multitask, public bathrooms, etc

And if the film turns out to suck you wasted 40 bucks.

Going to the movies alone is top comfy, especially with booze

I've actually been assuming that the people who called Dunkirk boring/bad must have watched a camrip on their shitty laptop. I could definitely see someone not liking it if the audio quality was shit.

They were whispering but I could still hear it.

It's one of those times that you truly gotta acknowledge that you have no social/dating life. I mean I have friends, but I really don't know any eligible women. And going with a guy just seems gay to me. It seems like movies should always be a date thing to me.

So half of the time, I'm really stoked to see something new in the theatre, can't find a date to it, and wind up catching it on the home release instead.

It sucks, I feel your pain.

I like to go at odd times to a small theater it's incredible... Had a proper wank during The Neon Demon

there's no way i'm going to a multiplex to see capeshit on my own, but i go to art-house/second run theaters/cinematheques alone all the time.

just a couple of weeks ago i saw hausu and re-animator at the royal in toronto. great films, good crowd, super comfy. a bunch of other people (including a couple of canadian cuties) were there alone, too, which was kinda surprising.

In fact, through all the years I didn't have a gf, going alone to the movies scared the shit out of me. I missed great movies because I didn't find somebody to go with me. But now that I have a gf and I can tell her to come with me I decided I should go alone becuase she would be bored by BR.

It's just a matter of attitude

I generally prefer going to the movies alone but that's a pretty great summary of why going to the movies with like-minded friends is a good time.

I'm seeing 2049 by myself in 3 minutes. Went with family first time.

I feel like an exception can be made for seeing a film twice.

Amazing story user

yes because the cinema police are keeping track of how many times you went and with who

seriously nobody cares if youre alone or not

Thank you. It helps to share

tripfag
I go to the movies by myself whenever i feel like, it's not bad.I don't like movie theaters in general though, i wish intermissions were more popular so i could get another beer/smoke a cigarette

Actually not really. Most people (when you get older you will realise this) would rather go when its quiet as its better.
Its got fuck all to do with who you go with

I’ve gone once by myself just to see what it’s like. Went and sa La La Land, (yes the film was fantastic), but I felt so fucking sad afterward.

>Speaking in the theatre is also frowned upon, so why has society built up this image of going to the cinema as a social activity?
Because you can speak before and afterwards. Do you think people chatted while watching opera, or a concert, or any other activity in the olden days? An activity doesn't become non-social if you have to shut up at some point.

I usually get shitfaced in the theatre, pour a bottle of whiskey or rum in one of those water bottles and mix it with coke and some buddies.

used to do it a lot when movie tickets were only 5 bux for an adult and about a tree fiddy for under 12's like i was at the time. saw jurassic park about 6 or 7 times that year.
>you're welcome, spielbergo.....thanks too.

Directed by M Night Shymalan

Doing anything outdoors alone except food shopping, gym exercise or writing with your mac in a starbucks is fucking weird as shit. I'd never do it.

If you are going to do something alone, do it at home. You just look like a freak otherwise.

Movies are a big no no. Going up to one, buying a single ticket, watching a movie alone and then going back home by yourself? No. Not being able to find a single person in an entire town or city that you live in to go spend two hours with you? Not being able to do that? Really? And publicizing that failure? Never. Not me. I'll watch it at home. That's as crazy as going to a hockey match or trying to get into a club alone.

It's a concious decision that only a deranged person would make.

you can go to a club and find somebody to connect and spend time with, you know? i once scored a date with this cute 8/10 because of going to the movies alone. shortly before the first screening starts, she was waiting alone. so i talked to her. the guy didnt show up. we skipped cinema and went on a date.

just because you are alone somewhere, doesnt mean you are reduced to beeing a loner. it is what you think somebody could assume. fuck someones expectations. not all is what it seems, because most people dont give a fuck. you are insecure. this is your problem, stop dragging Sup Forums to your level of insecurity.

pic related. its me going alone to the movies!

A strip club maybe. A regular club alone? Unless you are Mr Moneybags I don't see that happening.