I'm still mad

I'm still mad.

You are still mad they did such a nice segue from a jingoistic negative national personification to a more poignant modern villain?

You shouldn't be. Generic terrorist was a terrible idea.

I'd rather have that amazing performance from Ben Kingsley than have him just play the villain from Prince of Persia again.
The Mandarin is a God-awful villain that deserves staying buried.

>Get great actor to play villain
>Said villain is properly updated with a relevant and cool theme
>Villain represents a type of supervillain not seen in the MCU up to that point, and would make for a versatile nemesis
>Villain represents the trilogy coming full circle, as the Ten Rings captured Tony in the first place
>Villain's involvement with the Ten Rings gives him a great and pre-established motivation to fight Iron Man

>Shove him aside for yet another forgettable evil white businessman
>Turn the character into another "we have no actual punchline so here's 5 minutes of rambling" sequence

Anyone who pulls the "not muh" argument is trying to ignore the fact that the entire film had so much potential, and all of it was wasted one way or another. The Mandarin thing is simply the mascot for all the movie's stupidity.

I'd rather have that than Evil White Businessman #48584.

Yes, because one movie dictates every performance by an actor.

Stay mad, pleb.

Brace yourself for incoming "you didn't understand it" or "it meant something greater" posts

>poignant
"I'M THE MANDARIN!" said the shirtless white guy with an ugly dragon tattoo on his back.

I Have No Argument: The Post

Keep being mad. Meanwhile, I think I'm gonna pop in my copy of Iron Man 3.

I Have No Argument 2: Revenge Of The Faggot

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of how great this movie is.

>poignant modern villain
The dude started breathing fire because Tony ditched him once

you trying to convince me or yourself

I Have No Argument 3
In this one, it turns out the faggot being built up this whole time was an actor. The real faggot is a third evil white businessman villain who was barely in the movie, whose motivation is the protag made him mad years ago that one time. So the true faggot sends his army of bad acting fashion models to kidnap the president because he doesn't know what Congress is.

>I have no idea who Ben Kingsley is
>but I'll keep acting smug

The military industrial complex on terrorism roids, ya dings.

Lol.
But honestly the only weak point was that the real villain was such a weak character. The twist itself was great.

>Le twist made solely to troll the fans was great meme

wow, still peddling this shit 4 years later, huh

>But honestly the only weak point was that the real villain was such a weak character. The twist itself was great.
If they stuck with the original plan of Maya Hansen being the main villain, it would be 100% better as the final twist. It makes sense that she invented the Extremis and is the final bad guy. And it would have been a real surprise.

Yes, because Kingsley is clearly a terrible, non-versatile actor. Just look at all the same-note roles

>Gandhi
>Bugsy
>Schindler's List
>Sexy Beast
>Twelfth Night
>House Of Sand And Fog

Clearly can't be that he's a good actor and that the scripts and direction he's been given have been shit, no siree.

What are the odds we ever see the real Mandarin from All Hail the King?

same, they did a pretty cool job with him till the reveal

>its a "we are afraid of the Chinese market" episode

can't blame em. (id just not have used him at all as it was a waste of time and the twist kinda sucked)

Now I want to see a movie where someone has the "kill the president and blackmail the VP into being his puppet" plot. But the whole thing is just him really frustrated at all the checks and balances the President actually has ontop of the Vice President not really being respected because he's the Veep.

Shane is a great writer but kind of a terrible director.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was alright. He likes his own jokes too much and doesnt know when to cut and how to use proper pacing.
which is too bad because Nice Guy was really good except for his directing. Wish he gave the script to someone with talent

The Chinese market is huge, and they weren't going to get their assess banned in China by using the comic book Mandarin. C.R.E.A.M Nigga.

You have no argument to reply to.
I have a movie I'm watching.
You have bitch tears.
Enjoy. I know I am.

MCU didn't want to break their streak of completely forgettable villains and they know that Mouseketeers will eat any shit fed to them

I hate Sup Forums so much.

>What are the odds we ever see the real Mandarin from All Hail the King?
The best way is to make the real guy a man in a business suit. I know the rings are alien in nature, but in MCU there isn't much distinction between Magic and Cosmic. You can introduce him through either Dr Strange , GotG, or Thor. The idea being don't throw him into Ironman by himself, introduce him elsewhere as a side character first. THEN have Ironman fight him later.

Wait! Are you telling me that Ben Kingsley as not-Osama-bin-Laden was more interesting than White Businessman With A Grudge Against Tony #3? But Kickian had tattoos... and... fire breathing powers...

>White
Why is that relevant.

>GotG vs 10 Rings
I would be all for that. Plus RDJ with Chris Pratt would be great chemistry.

>military industrial complex
Can we have an Iron Man movie that isn't this?

God damn, I didn't know they were already making a fourth one!

Never. It was really shitty damage control.

It isn't but the idea is to list as many similarities that isn't shared by 99% of the population. Also, the rich white guy being the villain has been a movie trope for decades.

Further proof that Marvelfags will defend anything and don't give a single fuck about their comics.

no

>I have absolute knowledge about every person who posts on Sup Forums
No you don't, you dingus. Making shit up about other posters is how idiots prove themselves right without actually being right or even thinking.

If you make a Romeo and Juliet adaptation where they both live and have a happy ending, you have made a poor adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. If you make a Moby Dick adaptation where Captain Ahab decides that whaling sucks and takes up knitting you made a bad adaptation of Moby Dick. And yes, you can make an adaptation of a comic that is objectively incorrect.

Intentionally fucking with something to subvert expectations is fine, and can be fun, but you have to earn it, and it has to be done in the service of your story. When you try to do a "twist" it's doubly important since that twist becomes the crux of your movie- Sixth Sense had a twist that made the movie better, but Iron Man's was just bad. They hid behind a "twist" that was intended to fool nobody but fans of the source material to, and let's be honest here, please the Chinese.

The "twist" wasn't clever, or earned. It was just a bad adaptation.

Wait, Mandarin had fans?

Are you seriously comparing the racist magic ring chinaman to Romeo and Juliet?
Your argument only works if the original is good. If the work is improved, anything goes. And anything is better than the fucking Mandarin.

>I don't understand how this movie used the source material

He's Fin Fang Foom.

Aaaaand there it is. This is the argument always used to defend bad adaptations: "Who cares? The source material is bad!"

But obviously the source material was good enough for a movie adaptation, right? It was popular enough to get a fanbase of people who liked it enough to warrant a big budget movie. And yet this attitude is why nearly every comic book movie is a pile of shit- because the people making them actively despise the source material. All they want is a name to slap on for recognition, and they don't give a fuck about quality or telling good stories.

I'm still laffin'

More fans than Mr. Business Man.

>But obviously the source material was good enough for a movie adaptation, right?
Only vaguely. The movie isn't adapted from Extremis -- it takes some elements from it. It's just an Iron Man movie with some familiar elements. It's not like they were trying to make a movie version of Ellis's story in the way someone makes a new movie version of Romeo and Juliet.

Also, major changes to the source material can be great when done well. So don't act like you have to stick to the original when there are plenty of adaptations that improve some elements of the source.

The Iron Man himself material was, because Robert Downey Jr. was playing him. Do not be fooled for a second that normal people like Iron Man for the comics.
Even less of a fuck is given to the Mandarin, to the point where the twist in the movie was well received in general, and only Mandarin-defending autists cry about it on Sup Forums.

This.
I have still more of a lasting impression of Malekith than this guy.

>Well-received by Mouseketeers that defended Thor 2

FTFY

About what? Nobody cared about or liked The Mandarin to begin with.

Were all still mad
Shittaste faggots who love fucking retarded villains like krillain just make it worse and should drink bleach

Corporate elites do far more damage than any terrorist.

>don't show off what he does in the trailers
>fight scene is kept super secret
>the toys even hype up the mandarin as THE villain
>finally connecting the previous IM films to Mandarin
>After Avengers audiences should be ready for Iron Man to take on magic as he fought loki
>all that avengers hype

TREEEEEEVOOORRR!!!!

Im not mad about the twist, I actually thought trevor was funny. Im not even mad they changed the mandarin into a figure head and a joke. Im just mad they felt a need to trick everyone and all they ended up giving us was a smash bang fight against a rich white business man.... AGAIN. The fights were dull too. In IM1, Im2 and... most action scenes featuring iron man in avengers he is a problem solver. The fights were just explosions. IM doesn't come up with a solution. I was expecting something different. The twist was "surprise, it's the same as it always is" Do a twist do something different, not hide that its the same thing over and over.

It's a fucking comic book movie. We've had the evil white businessman three fucking times now in Iron Man. Try something new.

In IM2 the businessman was just a joke though, the real villain was Rad Russian.

He was still a major antagonist, and funded Vanko.

Still not the main villain.
The guy from Ant-Man does count as just another evil white businessman though.

You're mad about a character's identity bait and switch? Not because Iron Man 3's script is essentially a copy and paste of Pixar's The Incredibles?

This. Onwould have preferred Maya be the villain. Having a female lead villain would have been neat. And the other guy didnt seem interesting. He came off like a discount Kevin Bacon.

The twist is great and makes sense (why would a "Mandarin" broadcast himself?), it's what follows it that sucks (thanks Perlmutter).

Marvel is not putting in a Fumanchu stereotype and pissing off China

they want that dosh and no forgotten Iron Man villain is going to stop that

Allegedly the third act is a mess because of Ike Perlmutter's meddling.

They had one fucking job. This killer the iron man franchise

Apparently Ike didn't want a female villain as they don't sell toys or something.

Maya Hansen being the Mandarin would have worked, and look at how stupidly she is written out of the movie, it's obvious she was meant to do more.

>Apparently Ike didn't want a female villain as they don't sell toys or something.
Which made no sense, as the male replacement was in exactly zero amount of toylines. There might have been one Lego Killian, but that's it.

>Maya Hansen being the Mandarin would have worked, and look at how stupidly she is written out of the movie, it's obvious she was meant to do more.
Exactly. It is bad enough that she was cut out, but it was worse because she was not properly replaced. We ended up with an inferior substitute.

I did enjoy them shining light on the obvious propaganda of villains like mandarin. Do wish Krillin or whatever his name was had been a better villain. Oh and more iron suit action

It's actually very much true. Maya was supposed to be the Mandarin. If she had extremis it makes sense why she'd be at tony's home when it's getting assaulted. Cause she knew she'd be fine.

>becomes a fucking supervillain because a celebrity dissed him once
>it's okay because I see him as a shaky metaphor for the military industrial complex
That's not how it works, you fuck. IM3 would have been an okay movie had it not been for that shitty twist. It fucking ruins everything that came before it.

>introduce AIM
>no beekeeper suits
>no superscience weapons
>no MODOK

>MODOK for IM4
>it turns out he's a robot controlled by Tony's business rival
Screencap this fucking post, I dare you.

>MODOK is just a code name for an evil businessman who hates Tony

I fucking hate what the MCU has become.

>WHAAAA IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S NOT 100% IDENTICAL TO THE COMICS

ITT: We prove every stereotype about comic fans being whiny and entitled to be correct.

>what will never be

why live?

I still want Trevor to do a 180 and actually be the real Mandarin.
As in all the "oh I am just an actor bla bla bla" was just a ruse to trick Tony and AIM guy whose name is lost to me at the moment.

>implying it's not just bad fucking writing
He worked really well as a villain and they had to go and shit it up.

See
None of those complaints are about him not being like the comic. They're about the twist and the real villain being fucking stupid.

Have him be a side villain alluded to in Doctor Strange, Iron Fist and the Defenders to give some crossover love to the TV MCU and build him up slowly. Chinese dude in a business suit, kung fu master, ten magic/alien rings of mystical powers, let him box with Danny, And Cage, Sling magic with Doctor Strange and rub shoulders with him, and then menace Iron Man

>comparison reminder

Nobody likes Iron Man comics. At least nobody normal.

Iron Man is great as a support in comics and great for adaptations. His comics and villains suck though, especially since when its not Magic Fu Manchu its Another Iron Man But X.

Jesus Christ, get over it.

And get out of your mom's basement while you're at it.

Are you upset that it's a direct jab at Nolan's Joker? I mean, we're lead to believe he's a mysterious criminal mastermind who commits terrorism to flaunt his moral superiority over everyone... that was just Nolan's Joker. It is disappointing that the villain was just angry businessman again, but it was a clever ruse.

Anyway, a movie could never do the Mandarin right. Even a watered down Mandarin. Because Mandarin is just a watered down Dr. Doom, and that leaves him still too big for a single movie.

Oh, that's why her role in the film makes NO FUCKING SENSE AT ALL. It makes a lot more sense if she's the mastermind behind everything. I'm glad they cut that fucking idiot Perlmutter out of the process.

The rings are a huge reason he'd never really work in a movie, yet he's been great for cartoons. Most of his ring functions weren't even detailed in his first appearance, if I recall. The writer just left it open to figure them out later.

Remember when Nolan did something similar with Liam Neeson, but because Neeson's character had good build-up to taking the main villain mantle unlike Killian, no one complained?
Oh, and he wasn't phoning it in like Guy Pearce either.

Because MCU isn't adaptation of main continuity of Marvel comics. There aren't fundamental characters like Fantastic Four or X-Men or (until recent) Spider-Man.
With present copyright restriction MCU couldn't be anything, except adaptation and retelling of the comics.

>Oh, that's why her role in the film makes NO FUCKING SENSE AT ALL. It makes a lot more sense if she's the mastermind behind everything. I'm glad they cut that fucking idiot Perlmutter out of the process.
It could have been such a great set of trilogy to represent Tony's three major flaws. IronMan 1 was about his ignorance about his own company. IM2 was intending to be Demon in the Bottle, that was unfortunately vetoed. And IM3 was meant to be Tony's past womanising coming back to bite him.

Oh well, no point being upset about what could have been.

Fant4stic wasn't MCU.

I keep getting triggered every time the term "dark light" is used incorrectly.

Is it anything like a blacklight? Does Mandarin use that ring to search for semen stains on the bed when he checks into a hotel?

This is the type of guy who's upset at Frank Miller for leaving Ebony White out of The Spirit.

Putting aside the notion that Kingsley's Mandarin is the same as the Joker (tl:dr they aren't) I'm not sure this ruse was anywhere near clever enough to be worth undermining all those things in the post you're replying to.

I'm more mad at the fact that they didn't go with the original plan, as in, make the gal who discovered Extremis be the true villain thanks to Tony being a big asshole in the past, and all due to "muh sale of toys".

Fucking Ike being suck a kike that he actually screwed with what would have been a good surprise.
Thank god he's out of screwing with Marvel movies.

How the fuck is Tony able to win against this set of rings?

Remember when he tricked Ender into committing Xenocide?