Is Jean-luc Godard the greatest director?

If not, explain why

Last 60 years 1957

1. Kubrick
2. Spielberg
3. Scorsese
4. Woody
5. Coens

Godard made films past Kubrick though.

>subjective art
>greatest

nice one

I just mean only judging movies made in the last 60 years

Of all time I don't purport to know.

>Just American directors

Surest sign of a pleb

Didn't Kubrick move to England very early on?

n°1 is Antonioni tho

>Jews

no Goddard is a fucking bore. Watch literally any otehr Nicholas ray film or any american noir film from the 30's

What did Antonioni do new formally? Godard explored every formal and intellectual boundary of the medium

t. brainlet american

Goddard has some very awesone films but his entire filmography is spotty at best.

t. brainlet

>teleports in front of you
>*blocks your path*
>*summons a storm of rain indoors to wash you away*

shit, forgot the picture

sup reddit.

What did Tarkovsky do formally new that Pudovkin and Dovzhenko didn't already do?

godard was once a maoist who championed the murderous ideology of mao zedong and the khmer rouge. we condemn griffith and riefenstahl of their political sins, but griffith serioiusly tried to prove he was not a hater after 'birth of a nation'. and riefenstahl insisted she loathed nazism but had simply done as told. maybe they were full of shit but at least they tried to publicly distance themselves from extreme politics.

not godard who espoused the most extreme, murderous, and destructive form of leftism. film scholars, so outraged about long dead griffith and long irrelevant riefenstahl, never demanded of godard to face up to his past sins. unlike kurosawa and bergman who candidly confessed their cowardice in face or approval of, respectively, japanese militarism and nazism, godard has never ever apologized in general, or in specific to the countless victims of the tyrants he supported with all his heart.

godard celebrated and championed mao's total destruction of culture and intellectual life and the khmer rouge that transformed camodia overnight into a genocidal stone age marxist state. fuck that piece of shit.

t. brainlet
Godatd transcended intellectualism

No. Postmodernism is cancer

t. brainlet
everything is postmodernism

Thats a no but americans do enjoy his films I imagine.

Maybe next time post an actual french director ala Bresson, Malle, Melville, Resnais, Vigo etc.

ITT OP calling everyone brainlets

Good films :^)

le wrong generation lmao

tarkovsky is the goat

>Bresson, Malle, Melville, Resnais, Vigo etc.
Good taste famalam
Godard and Truffaut are the most overrated directors of all time
I hope this is an American-only list and even if it is it's still bad

Ok whats your American list of the last 60 years?

Goddard was basically like a less competent Von Trier of his day. French New-Wave was all about deconstructing cinema and trying out new things cinematically just for the sake of it. In that regard, Lars Von Trier achieved more with Dogme 95 than Goddard did in his entire career. That's not say Goddard did not make appealing films, some do have merit, but in the grand scheme of things it's very hard to even consider him among the "greatest directors".

Is this an American-only list? It's still wrong.
1. Malick
2. Altman
3. Lynch
4. Spielberg
5. Cassavetes
6. Eastwood
7. Scorsese
8. Schrader
9. Mann
10. De Palma

Just posted it

Are you leaving out Kubrick for some reason? He qualifies as American.

He's overrated and not better than any of the directors I posted.

>tfw you will never watch goodbye to language in 3d again

Not better than Paul Schrader. Gotcha. I don't really feel like debating that right now. Its beneath me.

Paul Schrader is a great director. Mishima is a masterpiece and his latest film First Reformed is one of the best films I've seen in the past 5 years/

Good list but Scorcese below Eastwood (or Spielberg)? Mehh

good flick
cute pupper

Well fair enough. I can't say I've seen either of those movies. I'm a big defender of The Canyons though. I'll actually probably pop in Cat People right now too.

I consider Scorsese and Eastwood to be about the same level, ranking Eastwood higher mostly just came down to personal preference. Spielberg is a much better director than them both, his pre-85 and post-99 work is mostly amazing.

You should read Schrader's book if you haven't had the chance, it recently got a re-release. One of the best books on filmmaking ever written.

I'd add Lumet, Coppola, Peckinpah, Frankenheimer (although only his 60's output is god tier)

>Lumet
I don't think he's as good as good as any of the directors on that list, I'd even put Friedkin and Jarmusch above him.
>Peckinpah
I was debating whether to put him or De Palma at the #10 spot, decided I liked De Palma better. He's easily top 15 though
>Coppolla
Not consistent enough and a bit overrated
>Frankenheimer
Underrated but not really an all-time great.

Quite right. Even out of the french new wave I would put Truffaut, Resnais, Melville, and even Malle above Godard in terms of total impact and achievement despite Godard pretty much being the most recognized of the scene overall.

>Lumet
well I just consider him consistent enough and more of a working man director like Eastwood but to each his own

>Friedkin
for sure.

Shame for no Peckinpah inclusion he's a personal favorite, also props for Cassavetes he's not mentioned enough around these parts.

>Frankenheimer
Yeah like I said his 60's work is excellent, with Seconds being by far his most underrated work, but then again he did make Reindeer games later on.

what a fucking pleb holy shit

>Godard pretty much being the most recognized of the scene overall.
I agree with the entirety of your post except for this, I would say most recognizable is Truffaut. Also I don't really consider Melville and Malle to be part of the FNW, and I don't like the implication of saying "Even Malle" since he's easily better than Truffaut and Resnais.

But Truffaut invented contemporary filmmaking with 400 Blows right?

How did he do that?

When it came out, people often called it documentarybstule. Now it just seems normal. One of my favorite examples to see the shift is Kubrick. For example Dr Strangelove is classic style and Clockwork Orange is contemporary.

Documentary style

No, that was Robert Flaherty

i genuinely dislike you more than capeshit posters

Cassavetes gets mentioned allllll the time

really? Iv seen Love streams or killing of chinese bookie mentioned but there were no threads about him personally

Let me take a step back. It's not like he regularly gets his own threads, but when there are decent threads with actual discussion about best american films/best american directors/best american new wave films he consistently gets shouted out (thankfully)

>muh auteurism

>Americans
Why do you people have such garbage taste?
>Kubrick
is an alright kike
>Spielberg
a disgusting kike that didn't make any good movie
>Scorsese
his only good movies were Raging Bull and Taxi Driver
>Woody
garbage, his only good movie is Annie Hall, the rest are copycats
>Coens
Not a single good movie except for Fargo

You fucking dumbass. That just what people called it. That's not what it was. It was a misnomer.

How is Spielberg disgusting?

cohens
woody

i just stuck a needle in my eye

Who do you think are the best American directors then ?

im with you on everything but the berg is fucking great man.

jaws? raiders? catch me if you can?

Die.

Truffaut and Godard themselves said there was no difference between the documentary and the feature, since, taking from Bazin's teachings, the idea of total reality (or total cinema) is a myth. And Flaherty was the first to bridge this line as well as shoot dynamically with many of the techniques the new wave stole like sped up footage, slow down footage, jump cuts, 360 pans, breaking 4th wall, etc. And Flaherty to this day still remains superior to all his copycats and distortionists because he did everything in the most subtle of ways while committing to film's one true artistic purpose: finding the essence of man

Cassavetes is a nobody. All he does is shout as loudly as possible then record it on camera. And his hyper left-leaning ideologues he calls "films" are cringe-inducing

>Bresson, Malle, Melville, Resnais, Vigo, the list goes on!
If you're going to act haughty, namedrop something good next time.

The 60's happened 50 years ago. Praising the generation that brought about the hurried downfall of human civilization was only cool that many years ago.

What did Kubrick formally do new

>Goddard was basically like a less competent Von Trier of his day
Pickle Rick was over a month ago.

>One of the best books on filmmaking ever written
Zoinks!