This can't be legal

This can't be legal

this is gotta be a joke

Considering all the shit the big two steal from each other, it probably is legal by now

>Red Lion
>Not an Englishman whose greatest crime is making bars in all the holiday destinations in the world.

The costume is pretty boss though.

>Red tool
>The Red Lion
DC I love ya but c'mon

Knockoffs are perfectly legal and encouraged

Plus who's going to tell Priest that he can't do a villain Black Panther knockoff?

Sorta like Wade Wilson himself was a joke knockoff of Slade Wilson himself.

>Says he doesn't want to just write black characters
>creates a black African dude that's literally Red Panther
Okay Priest you hack

this goes beyond rip-off , it's a fucking palette swap

Considering Deadpool's name is a joke about Deathstroke, it's fine for a Black Panther wannabe to be in a Deathstroke book.

The main character is still a white guy

he has the cool mane though.

yup

and he's basically writing Slade like T'challa

no he wasn't

He wasn't a joke knockoff, he was a straight up serious knockoff because Liefeld doesn't have a creative bone in his entire body.

He only got turned into a joke character after Liefeld.

Nicieza made the name as sort of a winking nod since he and everyone else realized the design was a straight-up rip-off.

That's fucking hilarious considering who's writing.

Why can't it? Not the first time they plagiarize off of each other.

Which race do you expect an African warlord to be then?

White like their slave masters.

Priest is an absolute madman

Back in the 1950s there was a strong case against knockoffs, strong enough that DC (then National Comics) were able to argue that Fawcett Comics' Captain Marvel was a knockoff of Superman because they shared the same powers; Fawcett and National eventually settled and it was never decided in court (which was probably a good thing for all concerned). We all know how that ended for Fawcett, of course.

Back in 2002, FOX sued Marvel and a couple of production companies over a show called "Mutant X" in which Marvel had participated; FOX argued it was an X-Men clone and that, as the owners of the live-action rights to the X-Men, the show infringed their own rights. Marvel's counter-argument was that, essentially, the show was a derivative work of a wider cultural understanding of superheroes, super-powers, mutation and so on of which the X-Men were just one part, and pointedly argued that in the case of named characters FOX claimed were infringed, firstly (and correctly) FOX did not have anything on paper to say it owned the rights to those characters, and secondly the point was moot as the characters' attributes - super strength, eye beams, etc - were possessed in various combinations by all kinds of super-powered characters currently being used by various companies not named in the suit.

Again, the case was settled, soon after this response was made: so no legal decision was reached on it, but there's a strong argument that derivatives like this are covered (just as DC's Shazam works in any medium are covered when they use the Captain Marvel name without owning it - they're not claiming ownership, just building on what existed before they owned the reprint rights): DC owns the villain concept, but isn't laying claim to the original it's referencing.

This is not to say they couldn't be sued over it, or that they couldn't lose such a case.

Breaking into prison is against the law, so, off course it's illegal.

HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS WHEN I WAS HOLDING THIS ISSUE IN MY HAND

Priest isn't exactly being subtle about it. It not something like Green Arrow/Hawkeye were they try and distance them as much as possibl.

>This can't be legal
Correct. Also, this just in: Purple Arrow has shot Not-Cyborg in the face.

Good for Priest sticking it to them for wanting to pigeonhole him on black characters forever, and I say this as a huge fan of his BP

>This can't be legal
First week reading comics, is it?

but they already did a plagiarism of that plagiarism

Daily reminder that Thanos was originally based off of METRON, and his editor said "if you're gonna steal one of the New Gods, pick one of the good ones!"

that makes zero sense for everything I've seen Metron in

The chair user, the chair.

The issue was pretty good so it didn't click until you see it magnified by itself
Don't worry, same thing happened to me

...oh

not going to lie. I thought you guys were thinking White Tiger.

The new White tiger design was basically Marvel ripping themselves off

The original design looked nothing like BP

>Priest
>hack

The dumbest opinion on Sup Forums

>Thinking Metron isn't one of the coolest fucking things in NG

eh, he's just an old guy in a chair, what's cool about that?

>Deathlok: First appearance 1974
>Cyborg: First appearance 1980

The file name really sells it.