The Luke Skywalker Problem

The real Luke Skywalker wouldn't let Kylo Ren run around causing death and destruction. If Kylo really did turn to the darkside, then Luke would have dealt with him the way Obi Wan dealt with Anakin; chopping him to bits.
>but Luke let Darth Vader run around while he trained with Yoda
Luke wasn't strong enough to face Vader yet, he HAD to train.
Are we meant to believe that Kylo bested his master in battle? Most people would assume that Luke is many times stronger than Kylo. Is Kylo really that much stronger? Is it acceptable if he is?
When it comes to Snoke, it's a little more believable that Luke needs time to train or come up with a plan to defeat him. Snoke is an unknown thing/alien so he could have new powers we haven't seen. But Kylo is just a human, and Luke has known everything about him since his birth. Luke would know his weaknesses, and could probably read his thoughts by now, if that power is canon. There's no reason that Luke can't take down Kylo in the meantime.
Do you agree or disagree? Is there any way to reconcile this, or do we just have to accept that it's a complete asspull?

I think you are putting more thought into this than the subjects warrants.

Lucas flat out stated Luke became the strongest Jedi. Legends Luke would have cut down Jacen without a second thought for being such an emo bitch and murdering his wife.

So what you're saying is that Luke should be a Mary Sue.

>The real Luke Skywalker wouldn't let Kylo Ren run around causing death and destruction.
Of course he would, he's a wh*te male
>Is Kylo really that much stronger?
Yes, the mere fact that Rey had to exert any effort while defeating Kylo proved that Kylo was at the pinnacle of power for wh*te males so Luke couldn't be more powerful than Kylo.

Jacen was only one that could go toe to toe with Luke, only reason the fight stopped is his son was going full dark side during their duel and that scared the shit out of luke.

I think you're not giving Jacen enough credit

The dude embraced the dark side hard enough that luke thought Jacen developed a new ability through the force.

Same Jacen that knocked out for jedi masters, including Kyle katarn like they were nothing.

1 dude had entire jedi order shaking in it's boots and they survived the fucking Yuusha vong.

I still want to know, did everybody really forget to tell Kylo the part where Vader betrays the Emperor and admits to Luke that he was wrong? Because he seems to believe that gramps died as a sith lord.

Kylo did I ever tell you about my good dad Anakin Skywalker? He betrayed the Jedi order, killed the younglings, strangled my mom minutes before me and sis were born, tried to kill me twice, and for years upheld the tyrannical rule of the Emperor Sheev Palpatine, commiting many acts of murder in his name, but at the very end he had a change of heart and that made it all alright and we all forgave him. He was a good father.

How many people actually know what happened in the Emperor's throne room?

>everybody

Only Luke knew Anakin returned to the light. He's never shown telling anyone, and was masked for his pyre.

Doubt he told anyone, at most only Leia. Vader killed a lot of innocent people and a lot of rebels surely wouldn't be fond of anyone seeing Anakin as other than evil.

Blow it out your ass.

Scruffy, the janitor

Luke, and i assume Luke told Leia. And im also assuming Luke would tell Kylo about Anakin.

The Problem is Luke is being written by shitty writers

Darth caedus was one of the best parts of the EU and a million times better than anything we have seen yet from nu Star Wars

>like Disney wars even matters
Star Wars is dead, dude. Just accept it and move on.

Don't you know?
Luke Skywalker was always just a whiny little bitch!

> In the film's novelization, written by Alan Dean Foster, it is revealed that both Kylo Ren and Supreme Leader Snoke know the truth about what happened between Palpatine and Vader on the Death Star. Snoke also reveals that he has been around long enough to see the rise and fall of the Empire. When the two discuss what occurred, Ren blames it on "sentiment." Snoke replies: "Such a foolish error of judgment. A momentary lapse in an otherwise exemplary life." He continues: "Had Lord Vader not succumbed to emotion at the crucial moment — had the father killed the son — the Empire would have prevailed. And there would be no threat of Skywalker's return today." Ren says he won't have the same problem, claiming that he is "immune to the light." But Ren later proves that he faces the same struggle when he expresses doubts over killing his father, Han Solo. But ultimately he does kill Solo, perhaps because he knew the path his grandfather had chosen and actively did not want to make the same "weak" decision.

Wouldn't people find it strange that Luke saved the body of and had a funeral for Vader if he didn't tell people?

Wasn't he alone during Anakin's funeral? He also flew an Imperial shuttle solo away from the Death Star so technically no one knew anything.

Why would you read the novelization of any film?

It's not a mary sue if you progress from doing chores and asking what that light on the falcon is flashing for.
Only if you're awesome at everything from the start.

Spoiler alert. Luke becomes a Kreia type figure that believes in Force neutrality, taking strength from both sides.
Basically, Luke is a radical centrist

He never byssaped the jedi training

Star Wars is dead. Leave it be.

Novelizations can add pretty interesting depth to stories that weren't there before. If anything I think film novelizations are under-read, people should check them out more often.

That's what he already was. He learned balance in the force and was able to harness dark and light side abilities without fully committing to one or the other. Luke defeated Vader with dark side enhancement, but refused to give in to that power.

Yeah, but it doesn't seem like something Luke would keep hidden to me. He'd be asked about what went down and making up a story doesn't seem like him.

never realized how GAY that outfit looks, this came out in return of the jedi before episode one made all the lore of the jedi and their robes

His reason for going dark side made much more sense than Kylo's I wanna be like Vader shit.

It looked a little better in the movie

Considering the direction the books took Luke, and the fact that Ben is a ripoff from Jacen in the books anyway, it makes absolutely no sense that Luke would not have been able to stop the Kylo we saw. 30 years of Luke honing his Jedi skill in the novels basically turned him into an unstoppable Jedi God. Why is he this loser hermit in the movies? Makes no sense and I doubt the sequels will make it any better.

Concept art for TPM the Jedi originally had outfits that were similar to Luke's. Glad they changed it

Yea, I always sympathize with bad guys who want to rule to end wars and create peace, romantic thou it may be. Wtf even is ren's motives? I didn't read the gay new books

that looks way better than this shit

post the WEBM.
you know which one

Oh those new books don't bother touching any of the main cast because Disney doesn't know what the fuck they're doing with the plot. Books just cover Phasma and that fat new asian girl

I miss the days where I could read the adventures of Qui Gon and Obiwan pre TPM and his edgy failed apprentice Xanatos, then the adventure with Obiwan and Anakin were fun too.

>Glad they changed it
As opposed to the lazy desert robes Obi-Wan wore being retconned into Jedi attire?
>inb4 b-b-but Anakin's ghost had-
fuck off. it's stupid.

USSIN'

The tattoine farmer outfit? I dunno that's kinda grown on me over the years, especially with the games I would go out of my way to get the right colored Jedi robes I wanted.

Looked too much like Sith if everyone just wore black. I mean it's just the same as the Assassin's Creed robe/hood. Originally supposed to be a one time disguise but the look stuck.

Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, etc OT characters are only there as strategic plants in Disney's nu-Wars to make it seem like "legitimizing" the hand-off of the series into Disney's hands so they can make infinite money off of it with their new characters and movies forever. The only reason they exist in these movies is to serve the purpose of getting the lightsaber into the hands of the new characters Disney can use for decades. Hence why characterization for old characters is meaningless outside of the utility of passing on the canon in a "legitimate" way.

We will never see Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie all together again because that does nothing to pass on the series to the new, that's just a celebration of the old that everyone wanted. Luke being the protagonist does nothing to pass on the series, so he won't be doing anything. Luke has to be irrelevant in order to make their new Mary Sue Star relevant because if Luke could solve the problem then they couldn't make their new Literally Who The Fuck Cares Bitch seem important.

The Revenge of the Sith novelization is shockingly good, and I hate Revenge of the Sith. Lucas didn't give the author the script (probably because he hadn't finished it by the time the author was going to start writing the book) but gave him a decent enough outline of the plot for it to follow the same story as the film.

As it fucking turns out, if a talented writer is able to use Lucas' ideas and big picture stuff while being able to flesh out the character motivations, get rid of any retarded parts that don't make sense, and take the time to avoid plot holes or explain things that don't make sense, you end up with something good!

fucking this. I loved Anakin's thought process before he executed order 66. Made far more sense.

Oldfag here. Empire Strikes back actually had the novel released 5 days before the movie was in theaters in CA. As a child I bought and read it before the film just to spoiler it to a friend who had farted towards my face during a rainy day in 6th grade history class. I was seated at my desk and he walked by to go sharpen his pencil.
The book was remarkably fucking good though.

>
>He never byssaped the jedi training

Mom! Something is trying to communicate on Sup Forums!

All of prequel novelization are good. Stover, salvatore were writers for last two.

wish I was Jabba bros...

>retconned
Obi-Wan is wearing one in Star Wars you nit wit

>As it fucking turns out, if a talented writer is able to use Lucas' ideas and big picture stuff while being able to flesh out the character motivations, get rid of any retarded parts that don't make sense, and take the time to avoid plot holes or explain things that don't make sense, you end up with something good!

Incidentally, that's how the first trilogy was made.

As a disguise because he was living on tatooine

>we will never see Rey in a slave outfit

Even though Ashoka carries the tradition on

I don't see any reason Luke wouldn't have told everybody. It would be a morale boost to the anti-Empire forces.

did anyone even know he went to confront Vader? He only told Leia before he left, and she told Han at some point (I can't remember if it was when Han saw her looking upset right after Luke left but he definitely knew since he reassures her Luke probably got off the Death Star II before it blew up right after the explosion) but aside from them no one really asks about Luke during the battle at the end. He's really doing his own thing in Return of the Jedi.

I'm sure the story was just that Vader and the Emperor died on the Death Star II during the Battle of Endor, which is true. People would assume that meant they died in the explosion (meaning Lando, Wedge, and Nien Numb prolly got nonstop pussy for life) when in reality they were dead before the DSII blew up.

Actually now that I think about it Luke didn't even need to confront either of them. I guess he wanted to bring his father back to the light side. But they were going to die regardless of him confronting them. He didn't even directly cause either of their deaths. Oh well, Luke going apeshit on Vader is the most god-tier scene in the entire saga so I'll let it slide.

You can tell people that Anakin turned on the emperor without implying that it made his previous acts any less evil.

>Lucas film decided Rey is the only Jedi woman we needed

Why did they hate Carrie?

>they CGI'd Christopher Lee's face on action bodies

It makes sense considering Fox still has certain rights to individual starwars movies, stealth reboots were probably always going to happen.

They're certain parts that could have been made better about his characterization but ultimately, he had some great moments.

I sorely wish we could have got a book or two from his 5 year sojourn through the galaxy learning force mysteries from various force sensitive groups that he learned with.

I often compare Anakin and Jacen and wonder if Anakin had to go up against the Jedi Order in same way Jacen did if he would have faired better or worse.

Anakin got outplayed by just Obiwan and a lot of that was probably luck but still. All of the jedi Anakin killed in temple except for like cin drallig were garbage tier middle weights.

Jacen was taking on Old Republic's version of the council by himself and a half trained, mentally scarred Tairi veila or whatever her name is for an apprentice.

Everyone from Mara, to Luke, Jaina, Kyle Katarn, all of them at one point or another tried to fight him. That is a lot of well trained, well prepared Jedi waiting to fight you.

He fought through ambushes that even pissed off his own father.

Dive through Fondor, battle at centerpointe station. Final battle with supreme overlord, omini. Kiliks, two civil wars. Galaxies version of a world war.

Mykyr mission.

Only person that lost more than Jacen was probably Anakin but it still makes me wonder.

Doesn't the Return of the Jedi novel straight up say that Owen Lars was actually Obi-Wan's brother? Or cousin? Something along those lines, I guess Lucas realized Obi-Wan and Yoda hiding Luke from his father by leaving him with his aunt and uncle was kind of a retarded plan, but then he forgot about it when he was making the prequels and somehow made it worse by having Anakin and Owen spend like 5 minutes together before Anakin leaves, murders a village of Tusken Raiders, comes back with his moms body which he buries outside the house, and then fucking takes their protocol droid for no reason other than sentimentality. Why did Anakin even need C-3PO like wouldn't Owen and Beru get more use out of him? And then 3 years later Obi-Wan shows up even though he never met Owen and Beru and without saying a word he gives them a baby and leaves. It just raises so many more questions about Owen and Beru raising Luke in secret. God dammit

I think you're forgetting Snoke and the Knights of Ren. It's a pretty retarded stretch to think Kylo beat Luke and the fledgling Jedi Order all on his lonesome.

>be vader
>think kids are dead
>decide to go back to the one planet you hate above all others to check in on your step-family whom you met for like a week, a time you only have bad memories of

Anakin didn't even know Obi Wan knew about them.

No he definitely needed to confront Vader. His feelings were conflicted and not knowing if their was good in his father could have turned him to the dark side forever.

>inb4 lol in the book he turns bad

>knights of ren

You mean not Sith so you don't have to worry about potential licensing conflicts?

IIRC when Jacen and Jaina fought in the last book in that series, by the time she killed him he was fighting without a fucking arm. Like, she cut his arm off during the duel and he just grabbed his lightsaber with his other arm and kept going.

that's exactly why they put luke on tatooine because he would never willingly go back there. Novelization spells that out

>the mouse will never have a tearful Rey cradling Kylo's severed head after killing him to save the Galaxy

Soft reboots are gay.

>on his lonesome

but it's abundantly clear that he had the other Knights of Ren, Captain Phasma, and a bunch of Stormtroopers with him when he killed the other Jedi. and they were just a bunch of trainees, too, it's not like he cut down a bunch of Jedi Masters

wait I just double checked and lmao this nigga went out like the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Saving his family was more important but that entire ending pissed me off. I assume it pissed off a lot of other people too.

It makes perfect sense.

Plus, Anakin thought his kid was dead.

JEDI LITERALLY USE UNCLE OWEN ROBES

DID UNCLE OWEN MURDER A JEDI AND STEAL HIS ROBES

Owen was an old Star-Weeb who only wanted to dress like a super Jedi.

Yeah, that was my point.

well
he had like his father before him turned to the dark side

>Are we meant to believe that Kylo bested his master in battle?
No, Kylo turned Luke's other students to the dark side and Luke couldn't defeat all of them.

HOL UP

That's what all Sith did though. Eventually the apprentice was expected to betray the master.

what about aotc...

or is anakin already considered the villain at that point

Yoda mentions the Rule of Two, for this exact reason.

Just don't watch the movie. Problem solved. Pirate it, if anything. I grew up with Star Wars and I'm pissed to see what it has become.

how does that look gay? if anything it's bland, which is the opposite of what a gay outfit would be.

>as a disguise

Never mentioned or even hinted at in any source material

>the Empire would have prevailed
Except they still would have lost the second death star.

So just one Sith killing another wouldn't mean that they turned to the light side. Really Vader probably didn't give a shit about the Jedi. He just wanted to save his son. That's not even good, really, just genetic conditioning.

Another of the many reasons why the Prequel Trilogy should be ignored. In most cases it does not link well with the Original Trilogy.

that whole fight was the most brutal thing I ever read.

Maybe Luke was too much of fucking idiot to see what was unfolding right in front of his eyes like Obi Wan and Yoda.

Yeah but reasoning behind it is more act of turning away from the thrall of the darkside and by killing Palpatine, he still completed the prophecy, even if it was for selfish reasons.

>You mean old Ben Kenobi? That weird fucker in Jedi robes that the Empire wants to hunt down?

He managed to drag a dying Vader through a lot of Death Star hallways without the first imperial asking any questions.

Wonder how long he was doing that in his time? Half an hour of wandering to the shuttle bay?

Force Unleased Leia was pretty cool. Sure she died but still. Yellow saber too

Yes, because Luke would kill his nephew, the son of his sister and his best friend. Don't forget it's a fucking space soap opera

Yea I'm sure Luke lost to some goth kids armed with a staff, blaster, and his shitty Final Fantasy cosplay sword

Nobody won in that fight. Sucks to kill your twin bro

Amelia survived without strings the future intended to put on her. Jacen won.

Yeah, but I mean tell people that he actually gave up being a Sith.

You can rationalize it as Snoke lying or just accept TFA as the poorly written fanfiction it is

Should have a military uniform
At least Clone wars kinda solved that problem

GTFO this movie chat board, cunt.

Talking details about SW is the fucking basis for all such places on the net.
And before the net it was in the back of movie magazines.

Rip EU ;(

K. It's still excessive, especially the current direction of the franchise, or would you like to share your opinion of the deep narrative and thematic significance behind Porgs?

>No true Scotsman fallacy.

If Luke does it in the movies, then it is what the real Luke Skywalker would do. The movies are the number one canon source for the franchise. Whatever movie Luke does is what he does.

If Luke could get off the DSII at the last second, so could the bad guys.
Tarkin only dies because of his hubris. Palpatine isn't above scuttling away when things don't turn out to plan.

Also, the inference was that Luke was keeping them occupied.
Vader went down to the planet after him, and he may have changed the course of the land battle if Luke hadn't surrendered himself.

The Rebels are routed by Palpy's secondary trap on the surface.
But then his troops are fucked over by gay teddybears because they've essentially been put out of mind.
That shit wouldn't be tolerated by a fully cognizant Emperor. And a fully evil Vader would have kept the shields up.