Why did it get such a negative response?

Why did it get such a negative response?

too slow and subtle for mainstream audiences who would much rather have tension crammed down their throat like in Get Out

Nothing happens and it forced some interracial shit, same as Get Out

Because it's not a horror movie and it was dishonestly advertised

it didn't force it. the race element was only 1 of many elements contributing towards the atmosphere of this movie. Unlike get out which was like 'ARE YOU SORRY YET'

just because something is slow and "subtle" doesn't mean it's good. and this is fucking shit. i watched satantango in one go so you can't call me a pleb.

t. truefilm user

Because it's truly shit and dilettantes are trying to pass it as intellectual when it isn't.

didn't ask about your opinion. Was answering OP's question in regards to the general response.

this

The music and atmosphere makes you think it's supposed to be a horror movie when it absolutely isn't.

Marketing was poorly done. It was still a decent movie but very misleading.

No no, slow means good, specially if it doesn't have scary jumpscares

is a24 pleb filter?

Because it sucked ass

t. insecure brainlet

not trying to pass it as intellectual. it's just powerful and moving to me

yes, only plebs like A24

the general consensus is: I wanted jump scares and this didn't deliver. It is the movie that is in the wrong. Not me

False advertising, false title, the movie tries to act like a horror to sell tickets when it isn't. I enjoyed it, but it really should have been honest. 7/10. Seen better movies exactly like it.

>False advertising
t. someone who only watches trailers and doesn't look any further into the movies he wants to see (i.e. plen)

The movie still had a couple cheap dumb jumpscares, so your cynical post is even more retarded.

And? do you think you have any power here? You pretentious fuck? This is a free forum and i can respond to whoever i want you fucking retard coward piece of shit, i would murder you if i could. I would smash your throat with a clawhammer.

>didn't ask about your opinion.
I mean, seriously? this is the most pathetic thing i have ever read. i am forcing my opinion on you, i am raping you with it, and i am glad that you are crying you little bitch, i am strong, you are weak.

it didn't really. every time i drew back

More like it was advertised as a regular horror movie and ended up being sub par drama.

Probably because its a piece of shit film.

>tease the viewer with "it comes at night"
>tease the viewer with some very distinct sounds when the dog disappears into the forest
>tease the viewer with shapes in the woods
>tease the viewer with "we dont go out at night"
>"HAHA just kidding guys, the black kid was infected all along and he sleep walks and theres nothing outside and HAHA the dog just ran off for no reason and was being eaten by nothing HAHA"

Crap film.

>look further into a movie suspenseful movie before you see it

Nigga, what

or how about expanding your interests beyond 2 genres. because this was something different than both of those.

it shouldn't really affect the experience of watching it.

I can watch all sorts of tv shows and movies knowing what will happen and it still is compelling because of performances, direction etc

>DIFFERENT THAN BOTH OF THOSE

It tried to be a mix of those two genres and ended up not committing to either one and being forgettable. Just like Arrival. A bland mix of genres that ends up being nothing.

that you can recognise the only alternative of those two genres as a synthesis of those 2 genres says more about your own limitation.

dogs go missing and get injured all the time irl without there being supernatural monsters to do it to them.

Enlighten us, oh wait you won't and are just deflecting

I kek, thanks you crazy bastard.

i finally watched it yesterday on suptv horror marathon. it was well produced, had great atmosphere, and i was engaged the entire time. You never can tell who the bad guys are.

but it was NOT a horror movie. it was a thriller. and a good thriller.

there's a plethora of styles and this only 1 of them. That you didn't like it is fine but don't try to quantify it with your artificial restrictions.

there's no "it"

the it is their paranoia, pleb

I thought it meant the sympthoms. They are paranoid all through the day.

It didn't? Got far too positive of a response as far as I'm concerned. Fell for the "less is more"-meme and landed on its face instead of doing it properly like Bone Tomahawk. Joel Edgerton was great, though.

There are ton of movies that blend genres and can even be called genre-less that I love. This was not one of them. Just because a movie tried to do something original while being "quiet", doesn't make it automatically good.
I enjoyed the movie, but it's not anywhere near great.

>you can not be paranoid during the day
retard

hmm. this is really the plot?

All those things happen exactly that way, but that's not all there is to the plot. The main plot is actually good, all that other stuff just drags it down.

>if i could.

But you can't. You can't even maintain eye contact with a girl. You're the literal definition of a loser. You should probably just end your life and reroll.

i eyefuck girls all the time, i actually stare into their soul so hard that they cum right there and fall to the floor, i spit on them and laugh.

stop projecting, virgin mongoloid

I mostly liked the movie since I thought it was pretty obvious from the trailer it was going to be a "MAN IS THE TRUE MONSTER" thing, but all the scenes with the dog did bait pretty hard. The sound effects are what got me the most, like you said the weird distinct noises when the dog suddenly stops barking and then the later dream sequence.

The only thing that bothers me about the theory that the black kid was infected all along is that there's a line after the grandfather dies about how they know the infection moves quick since he started showing symptoms within a few days. I guess you can write it off as they don't know for sure how the disease works as far as incubation, etc since they've been isolated since it started to spread, but considering how little information you get about the sickness it seems like it'd be a bit unfair to include that line otherwise.

(not him) You're the retard. Shults himself explained that the title is tied to the emotional trauma the characters are going through, specifically the black kid who we get to follow around at night, when his trauma manifests as nightmares and sleepwalking.

All in all though, it appears Shults just came up with the title early on while still developing the script, and liked it so much that he stuck with it even though the script didn't call for said title. All this psychology mumble is basically just an excuse to justify the title, which in reality is only there because the director thought it sounded "cool".

>watch comedy trailer
>looks funny
>Lmao jk it's actually a 6 hour long documentary about ancient Peruvian agriculture, the jokes were just dream sequences

The reasoning behind the title sounds a lot like the reasoning behind those hailing the movie. A fairly empty, bare-bones plot lacking in structure where people fill in the holes using their own imagination, then attributing that to the movie as if the movie "made them think" when really it's just lazy film making.

Plebs.

so comletely desecrated and decimated that you can't even form words anymore, you were probably breathing really fast and making retard noises "HURRR HURRR DUUUU" while scrolling for a picture to use.

I am the king

That was quite the lame reply. Quit getting baited fuccboi

>I am the king

>being this mad

i don't see why you decided to reply with a picture of yourself. egoitistical much? and you're like super ugly, lol.

The kid was the one who got infected, old people and children are more easily infected by pathogens. We don't get any info on how the grandfather got infected and they don't mention anything out of the ordinary about it so we can assume he just suddenly got infected during their ordinary day to day. It was the same with the kid, there's probably a faint pathogen source nearby the house. Then he infected the black guy and possibly the dog because kids like dogs.

Making people fill holes with their own imagination is good film making, not that this one was a great example of it. Think of any great movie, chances are there are holes there to be filled.

That seems like it fits better. You never get to see the kid's eyes in the final act but the fact that the parents went to such lengths to keep his face hidden and were violently desperate to leave instead of just showing them that the kid didn't have the symptoms makes me think he had to be infected.