Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/RealGDT/status/821898950810726401
mobile.twitter.com/aswadmn/status/821709405892710402
twitter.com/RealGDT/status/821791584048005120?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
robotsfromtomorrow.libsyn.com/episode-361-mike-mignola
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

[Hell yes]

Yup

How do you vote do you need a Twitter. I'm very concerned about Ron Perlman health to do this.

>twitter.com/RealGDT/status/821898950810726401

oh fugg

I wonder how Mignola feels about that (if he even knows), since he notoriously wants nothing to do with Hollywood

>A fan asked if Mignola could share any anecdotes from working with Guillermo del Toro on the “Hellboy” films. “There’s always been a little competition between me and del Toro, and I looked at him one day and said: you win,” he said. “Because I know that someday if I get run over by a bus, Entertainment Tonight or something is going to run a story where they say, ‘Mike Mignola, creator of Hellboy is dead,’ and they’re going to show a picture of Ron Perlman.” Mignola said that he realized when a movie is made of your work, you’re always going to be in the shadow of that mass media representation

60K VOTES AND STILL 16 HOURS LET'S FUCKING GO

This is useful.

>someday if I get run over by a bus, Entertainment Tonight or something is going to run a story where they say, ‘Mike Mignola, creator of Hellboy is dead,’ and they’re going to show a picture of Ron Perlman.”

i kekd

God, no. Hellboy 1 and 2 were awful.

I don't care about your numerical acquisition, you need to jump off the nearest cliff.

I watched Hellboy the other day, it's still dope. Dat make-up job on HB, monster design. I do feel HB 2 was a step back if anything, and it's hard to root against the villain.

mobile.twitter.com/aswadmn/status/821709405892710402

>Guillermo "I force in romantic plot tumors no body asked" del Toro
>Guillermo "muh troll market fetish" del Toro
>Guillermo "Hellboy's son" del Toro

"No thanks."

- Jes Sie, "Miracle in Toyland"

Trollhunters sucked azz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!666!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the first movie more than the second for some reason but I just cant place my finger on why

JUST

When's Lobster?

>twitter.com/RealGDT/status/821791584048005120?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I don't have Twitter.

Yeah. Hellboy is one of my favorite superhero movies, but Hellboy 2 I find extremely lacking.

>I like the first movie more than the second for some reason but I just cant place my finger on why

I think I can help.

>first movie is dark and bordering lovecraft in atmosphere, with a little bit of buffy mixed in (maybe one of the darker tone episodes of buffy?)
>threat was real, main characters died
>neat plot very important to the main character's development

I really liked it, it's one of my favorite movies.

Then we got the second..
>whole second movie has zero tension
>every new monster was made out more humorous then it was dangerous
>new main character introduced who himself was just a joke and sounded ridiculous; diffusing every situation just by talking
>silly music on and off
>weak plot overall

And a lot of that shit followed its way into Pacific Rim which is also why I couldn't stand that movie.

I prefer the second, better villain, better action, the higher budget really helped the set design and costume design and they got rid of Meyers. it's got some differences from the comic but it's a strong movie on it's own and has a lot of great comedic scenes.

I agree, the first one is cool but is mired in late 90s tropes and other crap, the second film had a much larger budget and it shows in the creature fx and other stuff.. its not a cut and dry "HB punches demons in the face" movie but neither is every Hellboy story.... it had nuance to it which i found more engrossing than the plot from the first movie

>HB punches demons in the face

and when it does, it looks awesome

Perlman's old as fuck now

What I find most aberrant with the movie adaptation is how they made Liz Hellboy lover, shit is just wrong yo. Hellboy is like the only mentor she ever had that didn't threat her like a ticking bomb, what is happening between them ain't love, well not in the couple sense, more like in a surrogate father/daughter kind of way. Also take into consideration that Hellboy met Liz when she was a prepubescent teenager, yet he was a good 40-50 year old at least which would mean he was over 60 by the time she'd be safe to lay with. Also that in that lapse of time he'd have raised her like his own daughter and saw her change throughout puberty and etc and all her suffering until the current event.

Shit is just wrong on so many level. Also the twin baby thing or whatever at the end of the second movie was entirely unnecessary, hell the entire pregnancy thing was.

good point i forgot about the whole hb-liz thing, you could almost pass it off as a concerned mentor in the first one but not the second

Pass. It's a variant of the canon that I don't care about. Plus Mignola has stated outright his disinterest in doing HB 3. I'd rather him spend the time and just write more stories.

Yeah. All five of the Hellboy fans on Sup Forums pls vote!

Fuck you guys and your shitty comic.

he's drawing his first post-Hellboy comic right now apparently

Well I think his disinterest comes in great part due to how del torro managed the movies. First one he often sought his advices over certain things and for the second he was barely asked anything, and we see the result. He probably fear that Del Torro will simply further butcher his story, which is a reasonable fear given what kind of producer Del Torro is.

As a sidenote, is Mignola still on pause or he started writing/drawing again? I remember after finishing the hell arc he decided to take a pause but it has been a while since then, can't remember how long tho or if he said anything about it ever since.

Del Toro is one of the most based directors out there currently.
He was able to get the ball rolling for a big budget giant robot movie without the word "Transformers" in the title, for God's sake.

why so salty friend

he said on this podcast that he's writing a series for another artist and writing/drawing a non-Hellboy series. no real specifics though, the comic he's drawing is supposed to have a similar tone to Screw on Head.

robotsfromtomorrow.libsyn.com/episode-361-mike-mignola

he's scripting a Hellboy OGN for Gary Gianni about the two years Hellboy was lost at sea

You think we'll finally get that monkey scene?

>Also take into consideration that Hellboy met Liz when she was a prepubescent teenager, yet he was a good 40-50 year old at least which would mean he was over 60 by the time she'd be safe to lay with.
Kinda falls apart when comic Hellboy falls for a woman who he saved when she was an infant.

That was a god podcast. Did you listen to the one with Arcudi?

If by scripting you mean wrote and is about to release.

yeah, Arcudi sounds like a real chill dude, wish I enjoyed Rumble more.

You know if you want a braid reaching cinematic.universe since at this point it's a cancer that's spread across Hollywood The mignoliaverse is probably your best source

What's wrong with that she's an adult

this would never happen but i think it'd be cool if they did a long form TV series taking place in the present (BPRD), 1930s (LoJo) and the 19th century (Witchfinder) - break up the story beats kind of like Game of Thrones and have them all tell one unified storyline from very different perspectives and time periods, each influencing each other.

You think we could ever get BPRD movies that follow the comics to the point where it goes full hell on earth black flame releasing the dragon?

no.

I think the romance was more of an executive thing

The scene of Hellboy and Abe getting drunk and singing is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on film.

I cracked up so hard my friends got worried for me. I'm not much of a "lol" person at films, but that scene got me for some reason.

He's known her since she was a baby, which is just about as bad as what they did with movie Liz and HB.

God damn it

I remember thinking about this exact angle and laughing when adult Alice showed up. The difference, which I guess is important, is that A. She was older than she looked due to some magic shit. And B. Hellboy hadn't seen her grow up over the decades.

(Also, is it just me or has Liz just 100% without question simply stopped aging in the comics? She should be about 55 now.)

honestly one of my favorite things about the Mignolaverse is the lack of romance subplots, even with Hellboy and Alice it's pretty subdued.

Who?

I honestly can't remember

Memnan Saa one season, Giurescu another. And so forth.

Could work. Could work.

Honestly seeing snippets of the Mignolaverse. (Hellverse? What's the term here?) really explored on film would be fantastic.

I like the Del Toro films, but they are narrow in scope.

Alice yo

>is Mignola still on pause
Apparently he got bored of painting after a month or two

I remember part way through my initial reading of BPRD I caught somebody saying that Liz/Abe could make sense and from then on I saw snippets of how yeah, it actually could work.

But uh... nope. Never did a thing with it. Instead Abe turned into a monster and wandered off for the worst spat of horror to ever visit Earth. Way to go Abe.

She do actually, I think its mentioned somewhere that she is becoming one with the Vril, for the better or the worst. So being one with what that power the entire universe make you kinda immortal I suppose?

Well then let's have some suggestions of comics you think are better than Hellboy.

I'm pretty sure they referenced some kind correspondence between the two of them over the years.
So is Alice the new Mab or what?

As far as I know he's still considering Hellboy "done". Although personally I think Hellboy will make some sort of big grand huge appearance at the end of BPRD and tie it all together. Somehow. There are still prophecies dangling.

But regardless of that, I believe he's talked about doing a mini on Koshchei the Deathless. Not sure if it's the same one that's appeared in Hellboy, or a different one based on the myths. I think it's the Hellboy one.

I want that mini. So we can have a trade that collects those Wild Hunt back ups that isn't a Weird Tales hardcover. Fuck that annoyed me. You could tell Dark Horse had no clue where to put them and was sick of waiting.

I'm hoping for some announcements for Hellboy in Hell Library Edition and Hell on Earth omnis soon

yep, she's the new Queen Mab, shepherding over the new World Tree

Ah now I remember

Wasn't he like extremely drunk when he did it tho? If not he was in hole hell of a life crisis and he really is starting to get jaded by all that shit, can't wait to see what he'll look like when he'll come out of hell.

last i heard they're waiting for the Hell on Earth trades to sell out before releasing the omnis

I don't recall any correspondence. I recall Hellboy having one of his "well how about that" reactions when he learned she was THAT baby.

And she's not exactly Mab.... but she's kind of this spirit mother for England which is now an eye of the storm safe zone from the rest of the worlds madness. I'm still not 100% on what happened to the millions of people living there though.

by the time they met up again in the Wild Hunt he was in his 60s and she was 50 and they were both immortal, so that muddies it a bit.

a little different than how Liz basically grew up with hellboy seeing her as a little sister

so everyone request them all from your local library.

I've bought them all. I've done my part. I'm a few behind on Abe Sapien and Baltimore though.

It was a gift from King Dagda to the Aos Si.
See I was wondering if her role would be more like a new Nimue since England is becoming a New Avalon.

>It was a gift from King Dagda to the Aos Si.

We're talking about Liz's apparent lack of aging, not Alice's confirmed and explained lack of aging.

My mistake, I didn't read the parentheses

I still love how bullshit out of the ass and yet perfect the reveal that Hellboy is the rightful heir of Arthur and King of England is.

Eh, it got jumbled. Just clarifying.