Lapis's introduction paints her as a badass mirror-eyed gem, the first one we know from Homeworld...

>Lapis's introduction paints her as a badass mirror-eyed gem, the first one we know from Homeworld, who can easily rekt the CG's and expands the universe of the show
>she turns out to have literally no personality and just stays there in a bad mood

>Peridot has an entire, well crafted arc dedicated to her redemption and gives insight on how the Homeworld gems simply don't understand about the earth
>gets reducted to an autistic sperg who only exists to counterbalance Lapis's plain personality

At this point I'm just afraid of what a Jasperdemption would look like

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FGF71DUC0NA&t=157s
youtube.com/watch?v=ImZF1TvtXhA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>she turns out to have literally no personality and just stays there in a bad mood
Thats exactly how i feel about her, but didnt know how to put into words
>gets reducted to an autistic sperg who only exists to counterbalance Lapis's plain personality
But atleast shes still funny

Jasper already came off as a bit of a retard in her following episodes before she got poofed.

If she gets a redemption she's probably going to be reduced to some dumb but strong girl trope.

Probably some meathead caricature. There hasn't really been a single serious gem ever has there? Yellow Diamond had her extended opening and turned into giraffe neck with a funny face. Blue Diamond had Garnets flashback but is now a sobbing mess.

Let's be honest. You liked them because they were vaguely defined. They were mysterious and unknown, so you applied your own edgy headcanons onto their personalities, and now that the show has actually developed these characters further you feel betrayed that the show didn't live up to your unrealistic expectations.

>some dumb but strong girl trope.
So shes sailor jupiter

>Lapis
>developed

I agree with the other user that Peridot is still a good character, though. But I fear her entire personality will boil down to being comic relief.

It's not too late to fix peridot. Sure she's goofy now but that's just her being relaxed, when home world comes she'll probably be forced to be serious and she'll have a leading role considering she personally insulted yellow. Lapis is ruined though.

OP the peridot/lapis deterioration was all Zuke's doing if you didn't already know, and that bitch got fired.
ugh, she fucked up such a great thing they had going.

I like peridot but she looked so fucking cool with her upgrade/armor shit she had

Jasper will become Steven's stepmom. It shall come to pass.

this, Baramom will be canon

Hopefully they'll be able to take back some of the damage that has been done to the characters.

Redemption arcs are a mistake.

>Peridot has an entire, well crafted arc

looks like someone has never had ptsd

Haven' watched the show since Season 2. Zuke's out? Wow

What do you guys think of the crewniverse giving jobs to fanartists?

Oh buddy, you have no fuckin' idea.

There was a whole ordeal with it. there's a cap of everything that went down but essentially Zuke was always butting heads (esp with sucrose) and was difficult to work with. Zuke was going too far with shipping, and Rebecca wasn't having it (which is totally understandable. Someone taking something you created and fucking around too much with shipping would piss me off too.)

That sounds like something that the fandom could have extrapolated from the barest of evidence. Is there really solid proof of this?

There's a cap of the entire thing going down. I know someone has it.

That reminds me, is the Momswap AU still ongoing?

Nah peridot had a pretty well defined thing going there for a while. She was still good up until after she "officially" joins the CG. Then she just turns into a meme character

a great practice and the best way to introduce people into the industry
why more people don't do this is beyond me

Zuke is the exact reason why. Most diehard fanartists are autistic spergs who can't function in an industry environment and constantly feel like "muh creativity" is being suppressed when their entire art life is defined by just drawing someone else's characters.

I mean no. You are over simplifying the events in the show and this is why I can't stand threads like this. Both characters are vaguely like you describe only vaguely.

Yes.
She was always butting heads with Rebecca with how the direction of the show should go and was eventually let go and replaced.

Im grateful to be honest since she was ruining a lot of cool concepts and characters for the sake of her retarded shipping fantasies.

Why is Lapis trying to be Yui?

I looked into it, and I have found out about the whole twitter fiasco, which I get, but I still don't quite see where the rest of your claims are coming from

no idea, I don't go to trash

They'll eventually be fixed now that Puke is kill.

>why more people don't do this is beyond me
Come on. You know damn well 99% of fans don't make good creators.

Fans don't know what they want and bringing on a few to potentially leak in their "ideas" is almost a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

I don't know what they're trying to accomplish by doing this.

I like the show, I really do. But every time I watch it I find is that the show is horribly structured. It's an adventure series that more often than not doesn't care about actually pushing forward a plot

I think the problem with lattice and the show in general is that she hasn't done anything. Her morality is never challenged.

Another example is how Steven is literally the same character Sense episode 1

Is this a DBZ reference?

I actually stopped caring about these two.

>loved lapis, peridot, and jasper and had such high hopes for them after the season one finale
>flash-forward to now and i hate lapis and peridot and jasper is basically fucking dead
>tfw
at least Pearl is still okay I guess

The AU is still strong and alive.

Remember how the Centipeetle mother reformed as a tiny cute version of itself? What would a tiny Jasper doggo look like?

DEEPEST LORE
E
E
P
E
S
T

L
O
R
E

>she'll have a leading role considering she personally insulted yellow.
That's the joke. Peri thinks she's public enemy #1 because she's charmingly narcissistic like that. She calls herself a big deal and thinks she leads the crystal gems. In reality the Rubies were after Jasper and Peridot herself is just a footnote by now.

A couple of guys who knew about Zuke's side private tumblr blog that she liked to use to reblog fanart and vent on and started posting screenshots from it onto /sug/ near the end of last year. Some of the shit she said on it had to do with leaving her "abusive" work environment, hating the people she worked with, Rebecca being an abusive narcissist, and her being angry about Lapidot getting rejected and having her creative ideas stolen.

I was just listening to a podcast that was talking about Stakes in AT and specifically Rebecca Sugar's inspiration behind "Everything Stays" and I realized that the thematic point of that song is the same point about the tension between personal growth and immortality that SU goes on about sometimes, especially with Pearl in the most recent episode.

That's all.

>A couple of guys who knew about Zuke's side private tumblr blog
Yeah... no offense but I'm gonna remain skeptical until I see real, believable evidence

Zuko isn't head writer, that's Matt. He and Rebecca screen and get final word on everything. Maybe Rebecca less so because she's busy managing every department. Don't blame the underling, blame the head. I'm sorry if you have to rely on meme hate and bandwagons to feel like you're valid here.

>autist shits on writers for aspects that accurately describe how meeting & getting to know people actually works
like pottery

Fuck that. I want earth to be visited by an entire damned ARMY of limb enhanced Peridots.

She's outgrown them and they make no sense for her character path, but we can still have nice things like this.

I feel like most of the complaints about where these characters were taken actually just boils down to people not finding them funny or endearing and then construing it as a structural problem with the writing. Calling what happened to Peridot a reduction of her character seems to ignore the entire point of her arc.

They should have hired brid or thegembeaststemple. I like Tang but both of them far outclass her, Amber, or any of these other tumblr jokers.

And as for Lapis, she's post-traumatic and slowly coming out of it. I guess I could get people complaining about the show turning her trauma into an ongoing gag, but I find it funny every time, so...

Maybe the show will still be able to strike a balance, and we'll eventually get some episodes that go deep on Lapis introspection without clashing with the jokes in other contexts.

>doesn't play guitar

Why are murderers being given positions on their team? What kind of criminal operation are they running behind the scenes?

At least Peridot got a lengthy character arc wherein she slowly and believably ended up defecting to the CGs, a change which could explain her current personality.

Lapis got a handful of episodes after she came back that more or less did nothing to her character, and they seem to have left it at that. It seemed like they were hinting at her having her own arc learning to get along with the other CGs through Peridot, but apparently her learning to accept Peridot happened off screen. She's in sore need of some actual development.

She will become Steven's knight after it turns out that Rose didn't shatter Pink Diamond but White Diamond did

She's just a regular girl caught up in a traumatic event and acts as such

Just stop with the headcanons

I'm not headcanoning man, Lapis has had nearly no on-screen development. I think she's the least developed gem on Earth right now, bar none.

>youtube.com/watch?v=FGF71DUC0NA&t=157s
there's not really any evidence, and there won't be until zuke confirms it was hers herself, which she has no reason to, but considering that the same people who follow her still-existing old private blog called "foodstain" followed the one that had all the drama on it, that she made an announcement on the "foodstain" blog saying she was switching to a new blog around the same time the new one that got recently got deleted started (october of 2015), that both blogs contain the same fandoms and shit she obsessed over on twitter and have similar post-styles, that the blog was ran by someone in the cartooning industry and had the job of storyboarding and writing, that the deleted blog had a bunch of vent posts that lined up with dates that other drama surrounding Zuke and SU had happened, and that a comic-artist that followed both blogs (the "foodstain" one and the deleted one) made a comic about her friend getting "harrassed" for being a non-cis male creator and for shipping just days after people on tumblr started freaking out about it, it's probably not just a bunch of coincidences

>there's not really any evidence, and there won't be until zuke confirms it was hers herself, which she has no reason to,

this is some jedi mind trick level bs

it's really unfortunate that the people who hate zuke and her writing didn't drop the show after Log Date 7 15 2 and now I have to listen to them bitch in every single SU thread.

>She's just a regular girl

Except everything we know about her from her circumstances before being released and her immense power and apparent value to Homeworld say otherwise.

remember "The Asian"? Remember the fucks who'd actually bother Ian on twitter about their opinion on Hellen's and Lamar's artwork on the show?

People still generally liked Zuke when Log Date 7 15 2 aired, in fact it was hailed as one of the best comedic episodes at the time. In fact up until the end of Summer of Steven she was still almost universally regarded around here, it wasn't until later that a sizable number of people started to dislike her.

believe what you want
I don't blame you for not being in those trash threads while the blog was still up

regardless, she's definitely not working on the show anymore

Whatever you say Lapis Liezuli.

It's like a picture for ants.

she was a terraformer
not that special

She's fired? I can't find a source for that info, you mind hooking me up?

She more likely left herself than was fired, although it's possible that she was fired too there's less evidence for it.

As a landscaper it goes without saying she probably was in charge of bismuths. Bismuth went after her specifically and has hatred for elite gems for clearly personal reasons.
Plus Jasper called her brat. She could be nobility.

>mfw didn't know about Zuke's fuckery with the show before this thread
>mfw thought 7 15 2 was the last good episode
I KNEW SOMETHING WAS AMISS

>no personality and just stays there in a bad mood

if thats your argument then I think you posted the wrong pic

she either got fired or quit, her private blog made it sound more like she quit though

>Kimberly Brooks
>Steven Universe – Jasper, Malachite, Carnelian, Skinny (9 episodes)
I guess they're associating Carnelians directly with Jaspers in this show, even though they're closely tied to Agates and Amethysts too. It will be interesting to see if this means development for the Zoo gems.

I mean holy fuck, how grand would it be if Holly Blue finds out she's closer to the dirt gems than she thought.

Both these about sum me up right now.

Jasper's VA probably just voices all the gems from the Beta Kindergartens because she's a proffessional and has good range and they don't want to hire more voice actors than they need to

blame zuke
/thread

It's far more likely they just had Kim do Carnelian's voice because they didn't want to hire another actor for a gem they don't plan on using again.

She sounded a lot like Michaela, so the Kimberly credit is a surprise creatively speaking. They could've easily had Michaela do it but they didn't.

Peridot's best characterization post-"Log Date" has been in "Too Short to Ride", "Gem Drill", and "The Kindergarten Kid", and the "Video Chat" short. She's harmlessly vain, and very open to new experiences ideas if they seem logical, although she has a short fuse when she doesn't understand things. Her absolute worst was "Gem Harvest", that's honestly the only episode where she truly did seem like an angry meme gremlin.

Lapis' best post-Malachite characterization has been in "Same Old World", "Alone at Sea", and the "Video Chat" short. She's snarky, but not in an annoying deadpan way, a little sheepish/awkward, but still fun. Her worst was in "Gem Harvest", and parts of "Beta". Deadpan Lapis is okay, but only in small doses, and ideally would appear a bit less as she acquaints more with the OG Crystal Gems (whenever that'll be!).

I think the only episode I actually enjoyed Peridot in was Gem Drill. I find her unbearable to watch in most of her other episodes.

>no mention of hit the diamond
How could you forget Bob?

Honestly, I found Lapis hilarious when she was in that baseball episode. She was so deadpan and dry, which is pretty refreshing in a show like this.

I didn't include it bc her role is relatively minor there, but it was pretty based. I can believe and like dry deadpan Lapis when she's doing dumb stuff like playing baseball with a group of people she doesn't like too much, but not when she's hanging out with her BFF roommate and the person who saved her life.

Adding on to the last post, the Crewniverse actually has a pretty blank slate to work with for Jasper, in terms of what she'd be like in a casual setting. I can only hope it's interesting.

Fucking this so much. It's baffling how some of those idiots seem to honestly believe the path Peridot and Lapis have taken in regards to their characterization is fully under Zuke's belt too and not something Rebecca and Matt/Levin intended all along, when it should be a no brainer that if it wasn't so, Rebecca would have stepped in and corrected it, like how she stopped any of the shipping business from truly unfolding if this shit here is true At this point I'm seriously considering just filtering her name desu. I could give less of a shit about her but damn if her haters aren't annoying fucks 99% of the time that shit up the threads.

Peridot's personality feels like a natural progression of her redemption arc. Lapis is just shit.

Why did people start disliking her? I didn't have access to the internet during this past summer so I don't know what happened.

>cold and logical, focused on protocol and mission success
>blossoms into spazztic meme machine hybrid between a key lime pie and a retarded child that shits away all her time fucking around in a barn as comic relief

Nah. Lapis was always a huge bitch, but Peridot went off the deep end.
I'm not really sure how to explain it. I liked her when she was a slightly more competent Invader Zim, and now she's GIR but not as funny.

I feel like if she stayed a little ruthless/Machiavellian it would've made her scene where she told YD to fuck off way stronger.

yes and also works in reverse like this youtube.com/watch?v=ImZF1TvtXhA

idk i was just watching some old pre-redemption Peri episodes. She's never been a particularly competent nemesis, and she's always been silly. And I wouldn't describe her current characterization as GIR, just an autistic geek who doesn't yet understand her surroundings, but is just as committed to understanding Earth as she was to serving Yellow Diamond.

Lapis isn't the most fleshed out character in the world, and I feel that they may not know what to do with her other than foil her off of Peridot, but she has had a couple of episodes developing her character. Not to the degree of any of the main characters no, but more than say, most of the townies. For a secondary character she isn't really that bad off.

as a lapis defense squad i have this to say
She is not defined as properly as she should have been.
She reminds me of my cousin actually. The type that would be a lot of fun and when it came down to it really care about you, while at the same time being snarky and secretly turning on your phone's router settings to leech off your data.
yes i am projecting

Being introverted doesn't mean you have no personality. She probably still feels like shit for enjoying domming Jasper, so she's a shut-in, except around Steven.

This person is an amedot shipper
Good to see they hired someone with superior taste

How salty can you be.

Hi Zuke.

Then filter it, who fucking cares what you think? Why do you need to announce you're thinking about filtering it like it's a threat rather than just doing it.

different user but
>tfw still unapologetically liked zuke's work on the show
>tfw to this day believe the zuke could not be juked

Realistically though, she was extremely SJW-y right from the get-go. I mean, she described herself as a queer artist rather than just an artist. People who do that are often looking for their sexuality to be a defining point of their person.

most of us were just celebrating a new Crystal gem to have any negative thoughts on a basically what was a Peridot redemption celebration episode.