Ghostbusters 1984 overrated

Why is this film considered such an all time classic? For the 80s the special effects and sets were really well done. Bill Murray's performance was good.

But now that I watch it I really don't see the all the hype, maybe ghostbusters isn't as entertaining nowadays.

It's actually kinda boring.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mNuG25oq_b0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't that bad.

It sucks just like Blues Brothers (yes the music is good)

/correct

t. tasteless women and numales

It could have been alright if it'd been penned by a competent writer who understood the appeal of the original instead of a limpwristed dweeb out to alienate the movie from absolutely everyone who might have gone to see it.

>>It's actually kinda boring.

Imagine being this retarded.

I'm almost 30. Blues Brothers is shit dude.

It feels like people solely like these films for nostalgia purposes. Tbh the Goonies was better.

sony was a mistake

Yeah I saw it for shits and giggles in the theatre. Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be, but the whole franchise isn't a comedy and for god knows why they made it a comedy. It was okay, just a cruddy comedy made for women.

Ghostbusters isn't "about" ANYTHING.

Prove me wrong.

The end and some middle parts had a decent amount of action, but the beginning and some other parts just drag out wayyy to long then they should. This film could've been much shorter.

Are you implying that the whole story is fake?

It's just a popcorn flick, my dude. It's not an actual classic of cinema by any standard except that it was successful. It's a silly movie, not a serious film. Dont take it seriously. Its overhyped by normies and nerds because they've been told how great it is by their parents or other seeming authorities. Same phenomenon as AC/DC, Def Leopard and Metallica hype. Movies like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Star Wars, etc. are the film equivalent of dad rock.

No I'm implying that the movie isn't saying anything. There's no theme. No subtext. No character arcs. Nothing.

I saw it again a few months ago and the film is incredibly well written. It moves along briskly and never feels like it veers off track into the weeds like the all-female Ghostbusters did.

It has 3 stand out performances by Harold Ramis, Bill Murray and Rick Moranis. The scene where all the spirits are released into the city is immensely effective even now. The quips hold up. It's very quotable. Every piece of the film just works.

I don't know how you can say it's boring because the beats move along really quickly. The guys set up the business right at the start of the film...

The first one is about starting your own business

>Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't that bad.
Depends on your definition of bad I guess. If you consider bad to be a comedy without laughs then it is bad. If you consider bad to be a comedy without any emotion except for hollow gutteral wretching and endless deep emotional pain then it is also bad. I probably won't be giving it a second viewing.

I agree OP. Its good not great, buy u ave to realize for its time no one really combined comedy with wacky sci fi elements so it kinda paved the way for that

I agree overall its just sort of whatever

Ok. I saw this in the theater back in 84 as a kid. One word: Promotion. This movie wasn't quite as hyped up in the media as say 1989 Batman but it was close. Example: I loved watching the Ghostbusters music video because of all the celeb cameos. It was literally the 1st music video to do this. At the time, i thought the screenplay was quite witty, still do. Unlike Batman which had pacing issues and a weak ending, Ghostbusters lived up to the hype and had one of the funniest endings I could think of. The audience I was with loved it. It's definitely a movie theater experience.

I think it's one of those movies that only Americans living in the 80's care about. In Europe, no one gives a fuck about Ghostbusters and there are much better campy films from the 80's that are popular here

Yeah I saw this in 84 as well. Had to sit through one of those 20 minute safety movies about kids starting fires before the movie began. Different world man. Anyway, in hindsight it was probably one of the first movies to market itself on the strength of its logo alone. You didn't even need to see the name of the film, you instantly knew what it was. This kind of thing is so common now we don't even notice it.

>In Europe, no one gives a fuck about ...
The opinions of Europeans is not a worthy metric. Do better next time Sergio.

Europe cinema is much better than American cinema though

>but the whole franchise isn't a comedy and for god knows why they made it a comedy
>Ghost busters isn't a comedy
Holy shit, how can you be this retarded?

The logo is one of the best thngs about the film, and I say that as someone who loved the film.

It's so simply, but it works so well, and has become iconic in it's own right.

Never seen it but did last week since my dad insisted, it's "his" childhood" movie and what I got was a terrible, dull and boring movie

>shitty characters with no funny lines
It was supposed to be a comedy...?

>token black character who speaks like he's the most sane
Were the producers on dem's payroll?

>PS2 level visual
That demon dogs are shit and when it runs on the street it became hilarious

>HURR DURR DEMONS
Ripped off from anime

It's all nostalgia

>no leddit deadpool one-liners
>token black guy, fuck diversity
>special effects? Literally zero cg
>demons are gay, t. atheist
Spoken like a true gen-yfag

I wouldn't have had a problem with an all female cast if feid didn't fuck it up so bad, they could have introduced them as rookies signing on with the ghostbusters who are now a large organization and there would be a scene where they pass by a bust of egon with a plaque saying ''in memory of''or some shit like that

t. tumblr

>Why is this film considered such an all time classic? For the 80s the special effects and sets were really well done. Bill Murray's performance was good.
>But now that I watch it I really don't see the all the hype, maybe ghostbusters isn't as entertaining nowadays.
>It's actually kinda boring.

Is not a plain comedy, is a mixture on horror and comedy, it was something really original by that time and pretty much was a kick for a lot of movies that did a mix between horror and comedy.

The horror elements are not the typical scare-house shit, but are more oriented to "ancient-horror-awakens", pretty much in the same line of The exorcist. You can laught of gozer taking the form of Stay Puft, but the fucker looks really terrifing

Also, Ghostbusters have a really cohesive world, with rules easy to undertand and follow is the kind of idea that could easy spawn a franchise.

I can see why younger audiences can find it boring, but for the time, it was normal paced movie.

>>Ghost busters isn't a comedy
>Holy shit, how can you be this retarded?

He is right. Ghostbusters have comedy elements, but is never selfaware or slapstick. Ghostbusters 2016 goes full cartoon comedy.

>>HURR DURR DEMONS
>Ripped off from anime

I would say is otherwise. I mean, ghostbusters was a huge hit in japan.

Fucking weeaboos

it's absolutely wretched but it didn't deserve to be the most divisive movie on 2016. it was just an adam sandler movie with beef flaps.

>I'm almost 30

The age of nu-male

you're both retarded

>Selfaware and slapstick are the only types of comedy
Wow, you're just as retarded. He isn't right at all.

Spanishfag here. It was a huge hit, I bet you never watched on cinemas of even born when the hype for this was everywhere.

>you're both retarded
great argument. Mr. under 30 nu-male, right?

It's bros being bros. Versus ghosts.

>No character arcs
Because you have distinct characters. Egon's the nerd, Ray's the enthusiastic optimist, and Peter's the cynic. What would be the point of one or more of them changing?

I'm going to kill you OP. Fucking murder you really slow and painful. When the police find your remains, they'll ask me to tell them what happen? I'll tell then cause I ain't afraid of the consequences. Then they'll tell me I'll rot in jail for a long time for this. I'll tell them I ain't afraid of no jail. And then they'll ask why I did it and I'll say cause I ain't afraid of no ghost!

But it's a solid movie. I think you need to have seen it as a kid to truly love it. If you didn't then I can see why you wouldn't like it

Comparing Ghostbusters to Blues Brothers. Hurr durr SNL movie. Blues Brothers had good musical performances, great car chase, great cameos by spielberg, carrie fisher, charles napier and henry gibson however the two indiatinguishable leads were the least interesting aspect of the film and that's where they fucked up.

>20 minute safety videos about kids starting fires

I'm 42, and I've never heard of this.

Is all about Regan depresive era. America 70´s and 80´s was a very dark place, with the economy going up and down. Main characters make and entrepreneurship to fight the "demons" with science. The choice of New York is main set is on pourpose. Also, Ghostbusters are the true nerds who become winners thanks to the understanding of science vs myths a world (america) that preffer to stay with the ghost and religion concept instead of fight them. In the ending scene you can see there is a crowd of frightned people of diferent religious (jews, catholics, etc) claiming is the end of the world, with biblical undertones, then ghostbusters emerge as knights, modern templars, saviors with the weapons of science. The "god" to be destroyed at the end is just a marshmallow caricature, something easy to burn with knowledge and science.

youtube.com/watch?v=mNuG25oq_b0

I would say that ghostbuster have more subtext and theme than the regular modern blockbuster

OP here, I meant Ghostbusters 2.

ghostbusters 2>ghostbusters

Only a 90's kid would believe this.

Only if you become familiar with the whole ghostbusters concept with the cartoon.

It was a monumental pile of garbage that trashed the entire franchise and ended multiple peoples careers.
Also cost sony a minimum estimate of $70 million USD. That is one expensive lesson in gender politics, I hope it was worth it.
That money could have fed homeless people

Brit here. As someone who was born in the 80's you are wrong.

summerfags still here?

Ghostbusters was a really cool and original movie in it's time. It had a great cast and the effects were new

Who in this thread remembers 'Inner Space'?

Awesome movie. I watched on cinemas back then and was a blast. It was similar to ghostbuster in mix adventure + science.

I wish they do more films like this.

>sony
>fed homeless people
at best it would have let homeless bugmen in japan buy train tickets so they could get past the turnbuckle to kill themselves

It was doomed since they did that stupid promotional thing on hospitals. What they was thinking?

Poor cancer kids dying in hospital who have never even heard of Ghostbusters. Remember this happened even before the trailer was released.
Once you scratch the surface, SJW's are the biggest, hypocritical, piece of shit excuse for humans you will ever meet. That's why they compensate so much.

We got to watch it at school as an end of year, last day treat. I must have been about 8-9.
We also watched Ghostbusters which is why I remembered it

I thought that thumbnail was some chick in a bikini bending over with light coming out her butthole.

>be 8
>terminal brain cancer
>make a wish ask me what my dream is
>I want to meet my favourite ghostbuster
>big day comes
>can’t wait to meet Bill Murray
>"We managed to get all four of them to come user, isn’t that great?"
>4? But Harold Ramis is dead.
>The door opens and I hear shrill laughter and mumbled ebonics
>Four women shamble in to the room wearing cheap cosplay outfits.
>The largest, a barely human looking sheboon swaggers over to me looking like she thinks she’s made my day
>"Who ya gun call lil guy?"
>The rest of them roar with laughter
>I hear a voice screaming “Ay gurls, lemme holla at ya”
>A strange negro runs in to my room and starts whooping.
>The 4 women begin to whoop along with him and chant “PHOTO OP, PHOTO OP”
>A camera flashes as I drift in to the abyss

Given the talent involved, it maybe could've turned out decent if Paul Feig had actually directed the movie instead of just letting his actors improv bullshit for 2-3 hours while filming each scene.

You should be sterilised

>not one mention to artists like Franklyn or Calloway
Jesus christ Sup Forums

I remember this being in the theaters for a solid year plus. The first movie I ever saw twice in the theaters. Being 8 I was pretty much the target demographic. They hyped it up alot with the Ray Parker Jr. soundtrack, and fucking merchandising. Probably gave birth to the idea of movie T shirts. 1984 was just a hype year. The Olympics were in Los Angeles. Shit was just hyped, not sure how else to put it.

>Do you want this body, you kike manlet?
Holy shit Rietman

Kids close to death, visited by people who hunt ghosts. Is a really meta concept if you think about it.

>spawn camping

Pro tip: Highly quotable movies are well liked.

It's probably because you seen it more than a few times and you lost the charm of watching it for the first time.

Nah, it's just 4 fat losers vacuuming up shitty sfx added in post.