Go to one of the best animation schools in the country

>go to one of the best animation schools in the country
>make an animated short using your human designs for a genger and cyndaquil
>has no story
>has no interesting concept
>has no interesting dialogue
>ends with an out-of-nowhere kissing gag cause omg I love my gay OCs
>graduate with top marks

Is this really who we should expect to be making our cartoons in America?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yKGeJXk2qWQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YcchrgJgryo
youtu.be/0l940bPkV1o
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYOc-LqkrsE
youtube.com/watch?v=J3BpOKzEdMI
youtube.com/watch?v=8l8xbqvFPYI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And I'm not gonna shill this shit in the OP post so the only way to endure this is to see the thread and not just browse the catalog, but here's the short:
youtube.com/watch?v=yKGeJXk2qWQ

this wasn't very good. I could see something good being made in this style, like it was overall pleasant to look at, but the character designs were too fruity for my taste and the premise could be described as 'lacking' at best.

i guess with animators it doesn't matter if they can't write or have any original ideas, right? As long as they're not directing.

I'm gonna equal out that shitfest with some Becky Prim.

youtube.com/watch?v=YcchrgJgryo

was the animator of this short coached by john k at any given point in his life? i get a lot of ren and stimpy vibes from it.

yes OP, I too fly into an autistic rage every time someone completely unqualified gets success they don't deserve.

>make a short about two convenience store clerks taking acid, it becomes a hit children's cartoon and runs for like eight years

>0:16
That's some atrocious animation

That short exuded a natural humor.

>DUDE WEED LMAO
>"""""""""""""""""humor""""""""""""""""""

>get a show
>have it ruined by some chick shoving her ukelele and LGBT agenda down your throat
>she then abandons ship and leave the rest of the crew desperate to try and fix your mess
>and then you abandon ship and turn a once beloved cartoon into a fucking mess

>get a show
>try to be a perfectionist about it
>get burnt out and wanted to quit after 20 episodes

>get a show
>abandon your own unique art style so your lesser crew has an easier time drawing them (and still draw them off-model)
>hire a Tumblr artist who tries to ship two characters and throws a tantrum when she can't
>what goes around comes around, huh, Sugar?

>get a show
>make it about two dudebros
>then completely lose sight of what made it charming and make it Relationship Show
>lose the majority of your fanbase
>have the network treat it poorly with no advertisement and bad scheduling
>maybe if you stuck with episodic dudebro humor like TTG instead of constantly shoving in crappy love interests, you'd still be on the air

>get a show
>try something different
>want to be weird and cartoony in the face of the DEEP L0RE craze.
>have people shit on it when it sets foot next to the space lesbian show
>call it crap without ever seeing it, then have CN fire the crew but still pretend like new episodes are being made when they just split the seasons up.

>be a veteran
>get your third show
>network doesn't trust you despite you creating Powerpuff Girls
>refuses to let you write it the way you want
>finally lets you but says the series is cancelled before season 2 even premieres
>begs for season 3
>denied
>has to watch a younger, brattier creator on the same network flaunt that Disney is trying to suck his cock for a third season is is refusing
>then face news as CN reboots PPG without you

It seems like artists in this industry are either mistreated, act like babies, or both. But hey, at least it's not as bad as the comics industry.

>i guess with animators it doesn't matter if they can't write or have any original ideas, right? As long as they're not directing.
except there are next to no animation jobs in america and this person will most likely be getting a storyboarding job. which means it'll literally be her job to semi-direct and depending on the show, even write.

never seen it before even if Sup Forums kept praising it.

Why the hell no-one told me there was a ghost in it!?! I love those kind of things

also this I found it more pleasant to watch than a lot of Jhon K's products thought.

here's my contribution.
youtu.be/0l940bPkV1o

What is #5?

autism

Uncle Grandpa I think

I believe he's talking about Uncle Grandpa.

buzzword

>that McCracken one

i'm still suffering over Wander

>SU artist throws a tantrum when she can't ship two characters.

now that's new. what happened?

Unqualified how?
>natural-born citizen of the United States
>permanent resident of the United States for at least 14 years
>at least 35 years of age.

>now that's new. what happened?
Nothing certain actually happened. It's just SUfags interpreting events in the most dramatic, self-serving way possible

This pilot, Infinity Train, Belle & Tina Time Travellers, and Twelve Forever all have this similar problem to me where they all have girl leads and they all seem to be... Boring or quirky? I don't know how else to describe it, but they feel so one-note to me. Like, I look at them in comparison to other leads such as Lincoln Loud, Gumball, Harvey Beaks, Wander, Dipper, and they have quirks too but it's not defined as "being quirky".

It's why I like Becky Prim so much. She's such a strong character in those 12 minutes and has shown more dimension without having to resort to a character shouting about their feelings and then feeling bad or going into a sad crying scene, like a lot of shorts seem to want to try and hamfist in now-a-days. She hates cliques, she hates stereotypes, but she's super nice to her friend, but she's nice in her own "Becky" way.

None of the other girl leads in the things I mentioned were memorable at all.

How about one for gumball

Thanks for the pic. I was asking in another thread the evidence for this whole thing, and seeing this now it all makes sense.

Has anything bad happened with Gumball outside of the speculation of Ben stalking that one voice actress and them renewing the show for another season without him? Seems like he's been able to coast under the radar pretty heavily, but I put that in part of him being in Europe and not dealing with American executives or fresh-out-of-school graduates who constantly complain about "muh creativity".

>speculation of Ben stalking that one voice actress
Wasn't that just the Rachel meme?
>fresh-out-of-school graduates who constantly complain about "muh creativity".
Eh, I imagine they have those in Europe too. Maybe not as many due to different university system

They ruined the artstyle

>Eh, I imagine they have those in Europe too
I feel that we have more freedom to try new things than what I see from the states, but there's also a different understanding from the students that things aren't always going to go your way when working with other people. Of course we also have some of those shitheads, but they sem to be shot down more often, than what I see from the states. I guess what I get to hear from over there could also just be the worst case scenarios, that just makes up the whole picture.

The voices don't match the character designs. This is so out of Cr1TiKaL's normal aesthetic.

so what happened is
>zuke is hired to work on SU
>tries to push her stupid ship onto the show
>gets fired and cries about it while praising herself for including strong beautiful lesbians
>something about being abused?
Is that correct?
Also, I haven't watched SU in forever but wasn't Lapis being held captive by Peridot and Jasper? Isn't that kind of "problematic"? Doesn't sound very progressive and healthy to me to be honest family!

God how did Zuke go from absolute based to absolute shit in less than 2 seasons?

its only problematic when toxic mals do it.
With females as captors you have more creativity and freedom to explore the subject

No but you see, Peridot was obviously mentally ill which means she can do whatever she wants to someone else however abusive as it may be with no repercussions.

I wish I was joking but there are far too many people on tumblr who believe that just because all the lights aren't on upstairs means you can fuck everyone around you over and hurt them and they can't leave you without being ableist.

It's easier to be a figure on social media with no responsibilities than have your passion also be a job that entails being subordinate to someone you disagree with

There's no ghost, but I'd like to add this is my favorite animated student film

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYOc-LqkrsE

It's because in the states, colleges just want your fucking money. So they'll accept shitty portfolios, people who can't draw get BFAs, teachers will pass you just to get rid of you, and you aren't allowed to be challenge unless you make it apparent you want to because then students will complain about the teacher and they risk a switch out, a poor review, or other things which, if you don't have tenure, can threaten a professor's job and make the higher-ups question, "Why are so many people switching out of your class?".

It saddens me. She seemed so chill, and just happy to be working on a show she liked.
I guess he had more baggage than she showed.

When was she based? The only thing good she gave was Amethyst's hair.

When she first got noticed on /sug/, she was widely liked for her fanart and funny social media posts. When she got bumped up to storyboarder, it was assumed that this would be a good thing

It has been a while since I've watched the episodes, but I remember enjoying the Florido+Zuke episodes and the school setting promos.

Zuke was always an unhinged tumblr fuck.

At least now we have proof that there needs to be more space between creators and fans.

>john k
How the fuck can someone whose only succesful project is some early 90's disgusting fetish cartoon be so popular in this industry? John K is the most untalented piece of shit that I've seen through in animation history.

This and An Object at Rest:
youtube.com/watch?v=J3BpOKzEdMI

Makes me feel like I completely fucked up during my time at college if I wasn't producing works on this level at the age of 20.

The guy who made Becky Prim works on Bunnicula. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything, but the more you know.

He has a good art style, that is very unique, or at least was unique. He's a good artist, but he's a shit creator, and a shitty person to boot.

Hindsight is always 20/20

No one came out that strongly against her in the early days

I agree that Becky has way more character in this pilot than any if the other products you mentioned... but I also feel isn't quite just to judge this character based from a Pilot. Neither Steven or Gumball really shined during their first few episodes too.

which show is which?

>unique art style
>not a straight Avery rip off

>Neither Steven or Gumball really shined during their first few episodes too.
Speak for yourself. I liked those shows from (and really moreso at) the beginning

>want to be weird and cartoony in the face of the DEEP L0RE craze.
What's this?

uncle grandpa

Hmm wow, I kinda liked this one. I never really knew what to expect.

I think Steven in the actual pilot was pretty good. In Laser Cannon, I think he sucked. The fact that in the pilot he acknowledges Lars is an asshole and acts accordingly like a kid would to a bully was great. I hate that they've caricatured him to just be an overly happy boy who loves everyone he comes across, even Lars. And it's even more confusing when the only person he truly hates is Kevin.

Adventure Time
Gravity Falls
Steven Universe
Regular Show
Uncle Grandpa
Wander Over Yonder

wew, lad

My african-american brother!

I knew that short and loved it.
great taste!

nigga that means I'm qualified to be president.

>Cyndaquil

But that hairstyle screams Keldeo, not Cyndaquil. Plus, he doesn't even have shut style eyes.

>tfw animation industry is in the hands of lowbrow former high school stoners
Why bother?

Yeah, I personally don't like SU a whole lot anymore, but I will admit that I was rooting for it since the beginning.
I just wish my ideal for the show was the reality. The show looking like this concept art with the personality and tone of the pilot.

It looks more like a Quilava.

>outside of the speculation of Ben stalking that one voice actress
Wait, WHAT

>Neither Steven or Gumball really shined during their first few episodes too
Gumball was funny since the pilot

Current Steven isn't always happy with Lars though. Steven has shown that he's able to get firm when it comes to Lars' attitude, and that he wouldn't allow Lars to step all over him easily.

The reason why Steven hates Kevin the most is probably because Stevonnie is more vulnerable as a person due to Connie's lack of confidence.

I liked pilot steven, especially in the sense that his more mean-spirited attitude towards Lars matches more of a 13/14 year old

Meant for too

I loved the pilot to death because it had a very 80's anime meets 90's indie comic aesthetic to it. The colors, the style, the art, the tone.

I don't HATE the new style change, it is in fact charming, but it feels like they took the pilot and ran it through a Nintendo washing machine and out popped a slightly watered down, safer version. Like how Disney takes fairy tales and runs it through their own factory and out pops a completely different, but universally appealing product, the same thing feels like it happened to SU.

I just always appreciate it when American TV animation can do something unique and hate that Sugar has been reduced to "this style" that people imitate now.
youtube.com/watch?v=8l8xbqvFPYI

>>natural-born citizen of the United States

I have it on very good authority that he wasn't born in the United States.

Yes you are, but you won't cause your a fag.

it's "you're", bitch.
look at my ability to be a tough leader.

It's animation school
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure none of that stuff you posted matters in the end for an animator.
The animation itself looks good and well animated for a single person. Unless the person is going independent with animation (which if they are, why did they go to animation school?), there is no need for an animator to be good at making concepts, dialogue, or story whatsoever.
All that stuff you mentioned that this thing doesn't have is all stuff that other people in the studio would be in charge of making. Stuff like storyboarders, character designers, and all the other people who make up the industry

You can hate the animation for it's flaws, but in the context of it being something that the person did to get a good grade in an animation class, they did pretty good

>Gumball was funny since the pilot

it was.
But originally I feel Gumball was mostly the "innocent kid" we were seeing his world through, so not really characterized.

still funny though, that for sure.

jesus this webcomic is ugly, do they not understand what line variation is?

Animation school doesn't care if you short has a good or cohesive story, they care if it demonstrates sufficient animation skill.

But you're not a leader, you're some fag on the internet and I have reason to listen to you or do what you tell me to do.

Gumball definitely became more of an asshole later on, but unlike Bloo, it didn't make me hate him because he still stayed on strong friendship terms with Darwin and a lot of his family, so you're still able to see some redeeming qualities in him.

Unlike fucking Bloo.

What really pisses me off is that even despite simplifying the style, SU's storyboarding is STILL an ugly inconsistent mess. Sugar thought it would be a great idea to apply the AT philosophy to SU but it did far more harm than good.

If anything, the sarcastic Gumball we have now is less of a character than he was in the first season

And does this short? This looks like a newgrounds project back in 2005.

God Fosters turned to shit RIGHT after the Pilot.

How did the man who made WOY and PPG produce that shitpile? Was there executive meddling?

Current Gumball is a character. He is TTG Robin

I've always believed if Sugar just worked on ONE more TV show that had a different production method from AT just to gain different experience and try things outside of her comfort zone (Something like Gravity Falls, 22-minute script driven show), it would've drastically changed how she approached production for SU for the better.

Gumball is an asshole in the sense that a preteen is an asshole. He does some dumb shit because he's a kid, because he doesn't know better, or for comedic effect. Bloo didn't hit the right spot, because he never felt like a kid, and he felt more malicious than funny when he was an asshole

Yeah, SU feels too ambitious for it's own good.

I'm always a bit reluctant to say this, but TAWoG has a lot of similarities to TTG. Probably because the former show actually has a substantial fanbase on Sup Forums. That's not to say that I think it's as bad as TTG (although I don't like it), but they're really cut from the same cloth.

PPG was overseen by Genndy for its first three seasons. I don't know how much influence he had on the show, but I did recognize I didn't enjoy quite as many episodes from seasons 4-6 as I did from 1-3. It felt like quality started to slide downwards in the last three seasons. It could be Craig was only good while working under Genndy.

Yeah.

You should see some of the shit that qualifies at animation schools for graduation.

This isn't bad animation.

It's weird. There are so many funny things from that show. It had a great art style, and great characters, but it also had some completely shitty things that would just cover up all the good things it did.

>but I did recognize I didn't enjoy quite as many episodes from seasons 4-6 as I did from 1-3.

Craig wasn't involved at all, Chris Savino had taken over IIRC

>It could be Craig was only good while working under Genndy.

WOY debunks this really well. It was poorer in action than PPG though, but then again, it wasn't as action-oriented.

Gennedy also directed the SU pilot. He was also open about how he disliked working on Hotel 2 because Adam Sandler tried to take too much creative control.

Gennedy can do no wrong. He's like the alt dimension successful version of John K.

Honestly, TTG alone isn't that bad, but it does serve as a posterchild for everything wrong with CN now and it's reason we have all these awful reboots instead of original content.

Thanks. This is what set stone in my path to pursue a career in animation. I still have a long way to go but I am excited on what lies ahead of me.

What's the appeal of this other than "they're gay"?

Like, how would you describe the personalities of these characters?

God, Garnet looks so much better with long hair. Why'd they give her a shitty afro instead?

>Probably because the former show actually has a substantial fanbase on Sup Forums
The first two seasons were not like TTG. That shit started in season 3

It's just a short made to demonstrate skills for graduation.

They aren't all going to be great stories or even that engaging.

Not everyone who goes to animation school is supposed to become rebecca sugar and run their own show. Most of them are just schlubs who work under people like that.

Good luck, godspeed.

I know that. I was one of the fans of the first two seasons (especially season 1) who disliked what the show eventually became. But some people do like what Gumball became after season 3, and even though I strongly disagree with them, I'm not going to go out of my way to provoke them.

Most people who are active fans of a show like it because of what it is now, not what it once was.