Favorite Movies and Music

Post some of your favorite movies and artists.
Rate, recommend, and look at how taste in the two mediums compare
>Hardmode: Favorite composers
Schnittke, Bach

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E-XBDWr8jTM
youtube.com/watch?v=KTAO1mcTj_8&list=PL46D4C436902294C1&index=10
youtube.com/watch?v=NgCMC-DMsNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AWMR79IMQ-M
youtube.com/watch?v=J0RKpmjjpLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JMPylWRqzPg
youtube.com/watch?v=lOT__WSwVW4
youtube.com/watch?v=2VpNT0V25HU
youtube.com/watch?v=_HdZAB__fwo
youtube.com/watch?v=i3BhWXi5lzo
youtube.com/watch?v=XiDtLscGnn8
youtu.be/7PlLuNGzzIs
youtube.com/watch?v=L47SRue0gt8
youtube.com/watch?v=eA_UB1CVQLc
youtube.com/watch?v=IDzIVgnHVwE
youtube.com/watch?v=UaJFFvjzSvs
youtube.com/watch?v=KiF8JPARwCc
youtube.com/watch?v=fLbP6qpI1YI
youtube.com/watch?v=-4Y8jbQoYbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-kwsbzWHoiw
youtube.com/watch?v=NK3-URQntcg
youtube.com/watch?v=hZvv8zGGEEI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tZ1hgmkUfI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgni7AzF-fI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

faovirte kino: batman v superman
favorite composter: hans zimmer

Painters: Winslow Homer, Andrew Wyeth
Composer: Arvo Part

I see Part a ton on Sup Forums, its interesting
youtube.com/watch?v=E-XBDWr8jTM

Zimmer is a meme, but I love his soundtrack for The Thin Red Line
youtube.com/watch?v=KTAO1mcTj_8&list=PL46D4C436902294C1&index=10

I suppose an extension of this could even be soundtracks so feel free to post your favorite OSTs

Greenwood and Badalamenti are great

Jeff Beal is incredible.

youtube.com/watch?v=NgCMC-DMsNQ

just because something is too mainstream for your patrician and contrarian tastes doesn't make it a meme. zimmer is brilliant.

youtube.com/watch?v=AWMR79IMQ-M
youtube.com/watch?v=J0RKpmjjpLQ

I didn't say anything about my thoughts on him or his talent. He's a meme here, and was in the context of that post. Makes sense that a Snyderposter would be so insecure though I guess
That's really nice, thanks. Should I watch Carnivale?

>Should I watch Carnivale?

Yes. It was cancelled before it could get a proper finale, but I wasn't as disappointed with the finale we got as I was with something like Deadwood. Clancy Brown is one of the best actor's to portray "bad guys" ever.

>Jonny Greenwood
youtube.com/watch?v=JMPylWRqzPg
youtube.com/watch?v=lOT__WSwVW4
>Angelo Badalamenti
youtube.com/watch?v=2VpNT0V25HU
youtube.com/watch?v=_HdZAB__fwo
youtube.com/watch?v=i3BhWXi5lzo

good taste user !

How's your taste?

Who is this semen demon?

kitty lynn

pretty damn similar
for movies would probably just add like Lawrence of arabia or the master or something idk

Movies: Beyond Black Rainbow, Excalibur
Painters: Hopper, Friedrich, Toyen
Composers: Massenet, Rachmaninov, Schnittke's choral works.

Good picks. Similar in music too?
I like Hopper a lot, especially when the ocean is in his paintings. Sadly I know very little about art, but looking at Friedrich (and I recognize a few) I like him too. Schnittke's choir concerto is one of my favorite pieces ever. Here's an underrated Rachmaninov
youtube.com/watch?v=XiDtLscGnn8

dont really listen to classical all that often
but i like this song
youtu.be/7PlLuNGzzIs

Wtf I'm gay now?

Nice, I haven't heard much Satie. What do you listen to? Here's something you might like
youtube.com/watch?v=L47SRue0gt8

embrace it user
traps are the top tier fetish : 3

this is pretty cool, i like this

Thanks for the Rachmaninov piece. Didn't know that one. Have an uplifting Glière.
youtube.com/watch?v=eA_UB1CVQLc

The sixth variation is just gorgeous. Thanks for the Glière, its really nice. I've heard some of his solo pieces but nothing orchestral actually.
I like earlier Rachmaninoff quite a bit actually
youtube.com/watch?v=IDzIVgnHVwE

I'm glad. As for traps, its just not my thing. I think I'd get with a guy before I got with a trap; something about "slightly femininity" doesn't do it for me. I'd rather fully feminine or masculine

Although a trap fucking a girl is a different story

Keeping it related, Malick's use of classical music is unparalleled
youtube.com/watch?v=UaJFFvjzSvs

That Barcarolle of Rachmaninov's Fantasie-tableaux for two pianos. When it comes to piano, there was no one quite like him. (Though I absolutely love Prokofieve's first piano concerto.)

Ippolitov is also gorgeous.
youtube.com/watch?v=KiF8JPARwCc

Thanks, I hadn't heard of him.
Here's another nice suite
youtube.com/watch?v=fLbP6qpI1YI
In general I think wind ensemble music doesn't get as much love
youtube.com/watch?v=-4Y8jbQoYbQ

Also I'm sold on Friedrich, that painting is gorgeous

Piavoli is so great I don't know why the fuck he's so popular here, he's very obscure, unless it's just one user namedropping his films to death.
Mine would be Kore-eda, Erice, Guerin, Ruiz and Minnelli for film and Monteverdi, Kilar and also love ELO, Wipers & The Clash.

I talk about him sometimes, but yeah I'me surprised to see at least like 3 other posters bring him up, mainly Nostos though. But nice picks, Erice and Ruiz are very high in my priority. Have some renaissance music
youtube.com/watch?v=-kwsbzWHoiw

And some baroque, since Monteverdi is kind of in between
youtube.com/watch?v=NK3-URQntcg

Thanks for those links OP, you have really good taste, I think KOC-STS-TTW-TOL are the best films of the decade so far, specially knight of cups and to the wonder.
For Ruiz I'd recommend starting with hypothesis of a stolen painting, mysteries of Lisbon, time regained and Manuels destinies, if you like the latter more than the others then check out his other films from the 80's, they are very similar. I also recommend reading "poetics of cinema".
Erice only has three films, all great and 10/10 in my opinion, not much to say there.

Thanks very much for the advice. I wasn't actually aware that Ruiz had made so many films.
I need to give Song to Song another shot; I enjoyed it, but I felt on one hand it was even further into that fragmented, ethereal style that Malick is developing, but on the other it very much had a story to tell, in a way more grounded than with the previous two. These things seemed to conflict and result in some kind of dull moments for me, but I'm hoping going back in with different expectation will change my mind. KoC is by far my favorite as well, and I've come around on TTW after a few watches

Interesting, I see StS seems to be the most divisive nu-Malick film by far (at least on Sup Forums, anyways), I personally found the aggressive montage to be very engaging for me, the hershlag arch was devastating and it definitely had some breathtaking sequences throughout that fucking Menilmontant excerpt, for example I guess it just worked for me, but it was very odd and it did feel distant from the other films, specially since we are used to Lubezki's long takes, but it still has a lot of Malick's filmic trademarks, overall I really liked it and I'm pretty happy that films like that are still being made.

I'm very happy films like it are being made too. I think Song to Song is one of hist strongest in terms of emotional resonance because with that slight increase in narrative came an increase in the relatability to the characters. But more effective to me than characters is that sweeping montage style, and whereas in Knight of Cups it felt flawless, in Song to Song the more grounded moments it spent on a little characterization or something kind of held it back. So like I said, its very possible the two ideas are very compatible, but I was going into it with a KoC state of mind so it didn't work quite as well.

Composers: Shostakovitch, Beethoven
Movies: Siberiade, A Brighter Summer Day, Amarcord, Kagemusha
youtube.com/watch?v=hZvv8zGGEEI

Good picks all around. Anything specific you like from those composers?
Shosty:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tZ1hgmkUfI
Underrated Beethoven:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgni7AzF-fI

movie: spring breakers
composers: grimes, gucci mane

Vey good taste ITT

for composers I would say Ligeti and Bela Bartok (I don't listen to classical music enough)
Painters: too many to name but Giorgione is my favorite

Thanks for Caspar Friedrich, user. Loved the mood of his works.

>Shitke and Bach

Don't cut yourself on the edge of your fedora

All these wannabe intellectuals

Pretensious taste

Mean

My art history teacher told us that Caspar Friedrich is the kind of artist that teenagers usually love even though he's not that skilled. I think he's right.

What's the point of "art" if you're content with life itself

Done