Did this ever actually work?

Did this ever actually work?

didn't matter. it felt good.

Sometimes it did usually on some really old cheap ass busted up sets.

>there are people on Sup Forums who have never seen a CRT television
I am not that old right?

>be american
>hit tv
why are burgers so stupid?

Yeah. I had a TV that worked after smacking it a few times. I couldn't tell you why. Maybe a wiring issue?

The lack of teletext made them very mad.

It "worked" for me often, but mostly with my computer.
I wish I could punch the guy that sold me it or the guy that made it rather than the actual product though.

The old CRT monitor I had needs a good spanking every 5 minutes to work

yeah, sometimes but on old ass tvs. The first tv I ever got for my room was one that had about a ten little levers and a knob, you had to turn the like a radio knob to find the channel that you wanted and switch a lever to save it. Sometimes a channel would get all noisy and hitting it would make it clear.

Yes. I had an old piece of shit tv in my room that I had gotten in a garage sale.
When you first turned it on, and untill it warmed up it would turn to static untill you hit it in a specific place on the top.
I think there were some boards that had gotten warped over the years and some percussive maintenance reseated them.

I think that had to do with the NTSC video system and interference until SONY fixed that with their Trinitron.

Possibly bad capacitors that needed to heat up?

Holy fuck you're probably right.

I had a tv that I used to hit like that to correct the picture. Old sony trinitron

I got a old late 90s SHARP top of the line television at the time for my old stuff and well seriously the colors are better than on my LCD main television.

Only if the little electron gun inside it was stuck. Imagine a little laser light shining on the screen from behind, it starts from the bottom and moves up, while moving side to side and drawing "slices" of the image. Sometimes the movement mechanism got hung up and you had to it the TV to get it back moving.

Digital broadcasting a shit

Guess no too many folks remember what a revolution the Trinitron was.

It would fuck with you too. Sometimes it would turn to static for a few seconds and be fine, sometimes you needed to give it a ew knocks, but the worst was it going to static and it waited for me to get off my chair, walk almost all the way back to the TV, raise my hands, and then it would work long enough to let me sit back down.
I think it just had the devil inside.

What the fuck I love 80s memes now

It's called a brogan-adjustment. I worked in the army signal corp.

-

one time my computer fan started making a disturbing noise so I smacked the case and it went back to making a normal fan sound. Some times things get loosened and have to get knocked back

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that most posters here don't remember the 70s.

Holy shit, this.

I punched my old sony CTR a lot when I had it (like 4 years ago)

Holy shit, this.
I had this for like 25 years

>tfw my professor worked on CRTs/LCs during 1980-2010
cool dude

Yeah iirc there's some science to it, something to do with vacuum tubes.
Some Sup Forums could probably fill you in pretty well

Naa bro. I got a 14y/o sister and she easily remembers our CRT.
I bet 10 year olds would be on the cusp.

BRAZIL hello my fellow KoF player.

Most people alive on Earth today don't remember the 70s. There's a website that explains it.

hitting things is always the first thing to try, if something is loose it will knock back into place

Link?

Don't worry bro, I had one growing up because we were poor. Got rid of it in my early teens.

My people here had CRTs until the HD boom around 2007-2009

>Most

I don't remember the exact reason why that work, but old CRT and lamp televisors usually could be fixed by that.

Something with circuitry, don't remember.

Oh, remembered. Contact of the lamps could be fixed with proper hit.

looks comfy af tbqh familam

Holy fuck we had that exact model once. It really felt like living in the future.
Now with digital TV these things are consigned to the scrap heap, shame.

it wouldn't break so people would buy a new one so i guess it didn't work

Bamboozle was the shit.

Pretty cool watch tbqh

when i was in germany i saw this shit and had no clue what i was looking at.

i saw one that was like a craigslist personals except on the TV. how do you interact with it?

Its basically a news paper

you use the numbers to go to a page

>how do you interact with it?
germanfag here, you don't. there are numbers for pages and you enter those numbers via remote to get to a page....

it's called videotext, dunno but i think the french had something similar.... before the invention of the www there was some shit called btx which looked pretty much the same but was "interactive"

yes

fpbp

this is bait, right? Burgers dont know fucking Teletext? this has existed for 20 years or more now, what is going on overseas kek

its called teletext you kraut and Its a British invention

Yes, it did.

this is some Blade Runner shit.

herp a derp, calm down....
in germany it's called videotext
we also say fernseher and not telly.... you know it's a different language and shit

It worked on the occasion that something inside was not making proper contact. In any case, hitting the tv would only temporarily fix the problem at hand.

Haha oh you krauts and your weirdo fetishes

the feel when no NS-Paradies in Germany anymore

good thing they censored out her pixelated pussy

Blade Runner is like the Bloodborne of Sup Forums

Mine didn't have static, but when you were using the tv the screen would go black with a thin line of light in the middle. Hitting it would make the picture come back

Sometimes the colors on my TV would start to get weird (I have a vivid memory of the rugrats having green skin and like purple hair) and hitting it made them to back to normal

Sometimes you gots to flex a fool.

That's me.
I waited for that big price drop/quality step up.

I miss when ads had an ego

Now everyone has to be a safe little pussy bitch

giving everyone a voice online was a mistake

It kind of was

i actually just bought one from a garage sale a couple weeks ago for /vr/ stuff

possibly the best $10 i've ever spent

Get a S-video cable son

unfortunately it's a KV-13TR27 and only has composite/mono sound

have been keeping an eye on Craigslist for a bigger model with component/S-video though

Man I have no idea why the USA didn't also adopt SCART as a universal standard too.
Composite Video/S-Video/RGB/Audio LEFT-RIGHT IN-OUT all in one port.

italian here, it was mostly used to check football matches results and rankings

>didn't use it to check the news,weather and stock market
What a pleb

bump

sony really was the 80's apple

SONY's products were not overpriced they were legitimately seriously well made piece of electronics.
The APPLE of home electronics would be Bang&Olufsen great televisions buy way overpriced

Apple was the 80s Apple nigga!

Trinitron was anything but a marketing gimmick, it was such a fucking staple that it was licensed out to dozens of different manufacturers.

Burger here, I didn't even know what SCART was till a year ago when I started browsing /vr/.

Probably has to do with ruthless capitalism wanting to upsell with converters.

Bulky shit invented by the FRENCH. It's not like it really mattered, 99% of people never even saw an RGB signal, or even an S-video one through it at the time.

Nobody bundled RGB-SCART aside from super high-end shit, everything most people saw was RCA adaptors.

Tried reasoning with it first. didn't work

>99% of people never even saw an RGB signal, or even an S-video one through it at the time.
Yeah for clueless cookie cutters maybe , it's fucking retarded not to hook something up with RGB or S-Video especially when you purchase some top of the line television set and DVD Player

>Nobody bundled RGB-SCART aside from super high-end shit, everything most people saw was RCA adaptors.
Even video games consoles came here with RGB SCART in France even low tier shit DVD players came with them.

never bought any high end equipment and i still managed to accumulate a huge ass bag with nothing but tons of rgb cables

There was never teletext in America.

>Even video games consoles came here with RGB SCART in France
Probably because it was France. Everything console I bought from the PS1 to the Wii was RCA jack cancer with a converter in the box.

As for DVD, they fucked that up so royally with the failed PAL conversions on the vast majority of releases that it hardly matters.

i bought rgb cables for my ps1 and ps2 due to pirating backing in the day. it was the coolest thing ever not needing to switch to av1 mode and instead saying rgb1 not to mention getting rid of those jaggies